85 QBR

Sam Darnold 2018

7 TD’s

6 Int’s

55.5% completion

1,066 yards passing 

7.2 yards per attempt 

77.2 QBR

The problem is that our previous rookie quarterbacks all hit a wall a few games later. Can Darnold stay steady throughout the season?

6 minutes ago, August said:

Mark Sanchez 2009

5 TD’s

5 Int’s

56.6% completion 

916 yards passing

6.8 yards per attempt

76 QBR

Geno Smith 2013

7 TD’s

8 Int’s

61.7% completion 

1,289 yards passing

8.5 yards per attempt 

85 QBR

Sam Darnold 2018

7 TD’s

6 Int’s

55.5% completion

1,066 yards passing 

7.2 yards per attempt 

77.2 QBR

The problem is that our previous rookie quarterbacks all hit a wall a few games later. Can Darnold stay steady throughout the season?

The wall that both Sanchez and Geno hit was the inside of their own skull. Let’s hope Darnold has the brains and decision making skills to make it.

7 minutes ago, August said:

Sanchez and Smith didn't exactly hit a wall -- they fell off a cliff. Game #6 of Sanchez's rookie year was the rain-swept nightmare at MetLife against the Buffalo Bills in which he threw five interceptions. For many fans, including myself, that was the game that had us doubting he was "the guy." As for Smith, he was flat out horrible for the rest of that season.

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

Sanchez and Smith didn't exactly hit a wall -- they fell off a cliff. Game #6 of Sanchez's rookie year was the rain-swept nightmare at MetLife against the Buffalo Bills in which he threw five interceptions. For many fans, including myself, that was the game that had us doubting he was "the guy." As for Smith, he was flat out horrible for the rest of that season.

Smith had a 3/4 game stretch of bad play between the Saints game to the first Dolphins game but after that he ended the year on a solid note, including winning offensive rookie of the week, holding his own against a tough a Carolina defense and knocking out the Dolphins from playoff contention. 

3 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Those stats are useless without including the stats and talent level of the team they were surrounded with.  The talent on the Oline?  WRs?  Running backs?

Geno had the least amount around him. 

18 minutes ago, August said:

Mark Sanchez 2009

5 TD’s

5 Int’s

56.6% completion 

916 yards passing

6.8 yards per attempt

76 QBR

Geno Smith 2013

7 TD’s

8 Int’s

61.7% completion 

1,289 yards passing

8.5 yards per attempt 

85 QBR

Sam Darnold 2018

7 TD’s

6 Int’s

55.5% completion

1,066 yards passing 

7.2 yards per attempt 

77.2 QBR

Just for more reference too:

Jets WRs in 2009 (Sanchez)

Jericho Cotchery

Braylon Edwards

Jets WR 2013 (Geno)

Jeremy Kerley

Santonio Holmes

And also I know it's a point of contention regarding how good or bad the 2018 Jets OL is... But both Geno and Sanchez had D'Brickashaw and Mangold in front of them. There's no doubt in my mind that helped them a lot early on. 

So far, so good with Darnold.  He just needs to be consistent and learn from his mistakes.  I think the completion percentage is a product of a shaky o-line and receiving corps more than anything else and hopefully all will improve as the year progresses.   He's already light years ahead of Smith and Sanchez as far as poise and maturity is concerned so there's that too. 

10 minutes ago, August said:

Smith had a 3/4 game stretch of bad play between the Saints game to the first Dolphins game but after that he ended the year on a solid note, including winning offensive rookie of the week, holding his own against a tough a Carolina defense and knocking out the Dolphins from playoff contention. 

That would have been an optimistic view of his season, I guess. But between games #6 AND #16, he had 5 TDs and 13 INTs, and had a five-game streak where he didn't throw any TD passes. 

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

So far, so good with Darnold.  He just needs to be consistent and learn from his mistakes.  I think the completion percentage is a product of a shaky o-line and receiving corps more than anything else and hopefully all will improve as the year progresses.   He's already light years ahead of Smith and Sanchez as far as poise and maturity is concerned so there's that too. 

I think completion percentage is important but as yesterday showed, if you can make the key passes like Darnold did it really becomes a hollower stat

2 minutes ago, August said:

Geno had the least amount around him. 

Guess I have to see stats to form an opinion on this site, since that is what seems to drive the narrative from the "realists"......too bad football is a game of passion,  intangibles and the ability to play as a team.

Was Geno the guy who was punched by his own teammate?  Those tricky intangibles.

4 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

That would have been an optimistic view of his season, I guess. But between games #6 AND #16, he had 5 TDs and 13 INTs, and had a five-game streak where he didn't throw any TD passes. 

I acknowledge and admit that the middle of his rookie year was crappy. But in his last 4 games he had 4 TD’s, 2 Int’s, 790 yards, 59% completion, 82.7 QBR, 6.9 yards per attempt. Not earth shattering but solid. 

6 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Guess I have to see stats to form an opinion on this site, since that is what seems to drive the narrative from the "realists"......too bad football is a game of passion,  intangibles and the ability to play as a team.

Was Geno the guy who was punched by his own teammate?  Those tricky intangibles.

Yeah,  he was. As long as Sam doesn't  get his jaw broken by a crappy LB or run into his OL rear end and fumble,  Sam should do ok.

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Weaponz 

Sanchez- first 4 games had Jericho Cotchery and Chansi Stuckey, Brad Smith, we acquired Braylon going into week 5, Dustin Keller, Shonn Green and Thomas Jones

Geno - Jeremy Kerley and Santonio Holmes, David Nelson, Gregg Salas, Cumberland, Chris Ivory, pre-Steroid Bilal Powell

Darnold- Anderson, Enunwa, Pryor, Kearse, Crowell, Post-steroid Powell, Herndon, Leggett 

WINNER - Darnold- he has the best weapons thru 4 weeks 

Runner-up - Sanchez - Edwards fixes an awful group of catchers

Loser - Geno - it was no weaponzzzz

O-linez

Sanchez- Brick, Faneca, Mangold, Moore, Woody (I creamed while writing that)

Geno - Brick, Ducasse, Mangold, Colon, Howard (Ducasse is somehow still in this league and he’s starting)

Darnold - Beachum, Carpenter, Long, Winters, Shell

WINNER- Sanchez- A historically great o-line

Runner-up - Darnold- Average o-line without any glaring strengths 

Loser - Geno - it wasn’t awful but Ducasse was

COACHING...z

Sanchez- Rex is offensive poison but Schotty designed a good running game and had spurts of decent performances.

Geno - Rex is still offensive poison and Morningweg was collecting a check even tho the game had passed him by. 

Darnold - Todd Bowles is somehow an offensive improvement over Rex. Bates is a QB guy but clearly rusty from hiking the Appalachian trail.

WINNER- Darnold - no one can really win this but Darnold hasn’t lost yet...

Runner-up- Sanchez - he had a cohesive system to learn from so that’s something...

Loser - Geno - I think Geno is bad but he really had no help...

Geno and Sanchez's completion percentages were the result of accuracy issues. Many (not all) of Darold's incompletes are him throwing the ball away. Undoubtedly he is being coached to the tune of "when in doubt, throw it out". Maybe it's revisionist history on my part, but I remember both Geno and Sanchez missing by miles quite often. Sanchez also got his receivers blown up across the middle with high balls, a lot.

8 minutes ago, bergenjets said:

Geno and Sanchez's completion percentages were the result of accuracy issues. Many (not all) of Darold's incompletes are him throwing the ball away. Undoubtedly he is being coached to the tune of "when in doubt, throw it out". Maybe it's revisionist history on my part, but I remember both Geno and Sanchez missing by miles quite often. Sanchez also got his receivers blown up across the middle with high balls, a lot.

I felt the same way watching the game yesterday.  As impressive as the two throws to Anderson were, that out he threw to Kearse on I think a 3rd and 11 was a throw that neither Sanchez or Geno could consistently execute...

4 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Those stats are useless without including the stats and talent level of the team they were surrounded with.  The talent on the Oline?  WRs?  Running backs?

Geno had by far the worse.....avg at best OL......Santonio Holmes was his top target, but Greg Salas and Clyde Gates were his other recievers.....nuff said.

Sanchez had by far the best.....Top 3 OL in the league.....and what would eventually become the #1 rushing attack in the NFL that season.....Braylon Edwards, Jerrico Cotchery and Dustin Keller were his top targets...and he also played behind the #1 defense...

Archived