Congrats Drew Brees

JohnnyLV

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Did they set up the record? Something was fishy about that....

they show his family on field 

talk up record

first play Brees has wide open receiver 

DB makes ridiculously bad tackle attempt

trots to end zone

His family came down on the field when he needed 25 yards to break the record. 

COME ON MAN 

confession: i have a drew brees official jersey and no others. i lived in nola for 8 years. Brees should be more important culturally to the NFL than he is. 

He is the best QB I’ve ever seen. Makes it look easy.

4 minutes ago, nico002 said:

talk up record

trots to end zone

Hmmm.... and how did Robbie get so open for that long TD yesterday? Now you got me thinking.... ](*,)

10 minutes ago, nico002 said:

talk up record

trots to end zone

You’re right, even though he probably has 40 games left in if, red skins wanted to be the 1 ?‍♂️, because he not have broke the record eventually 

Guy is unbelievable as a person, as a football player for what he’s overcome, as a citizen, and as a father. That moment with his kids after breaking the record? Pure gold. He deserves every single accolade and he’s so freaking good, and he’s never had a Randy Moss or Gronk to throw to.

Unfortunately, as great as Payton is as an aggressive playcaller, he leaves much to be desired on his defenses - and that plays a big part in many losing seasons and little postseason success aside from ‘09. Belichick/Ernie Adams skew every game in their favor so much before the game is even played. It’s why brady - even with his reputation (only QB in NFL history to be suspended for cheating) gets blown all day every day by everyone, while Brees barely gets consideration for GOAT. 

For my money, keep all else equal, I’m taking Brees before brady every time.

6 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Guy is unbelievable as a person, as a football player for what he’s overcome, as a citizen, and as a father. That moment with his kids after breaking the record? Pure gold. He deserves every single accolade and he’s so freaking good, and he’s never had a Randy Moss or Gronk to throw to.

Unfortunately, as great as Payton is as an aggressive playcaller, he leaves much to be desired on his defenses - and that plays a big part in many losing seasons and little postseason success aside from ‘09. Belichick/Ernie Adams skew every game in their favor so much before the game is even played. It’s why brady - even with his reputation (only QB in NFL history to be suspended for cheating) gets blown all day every day by everyone, while Brees barely gets consideration for GOAT. 

wouldn't it be great if brees finished his career ahead of tommy boy?

8 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Brees plays in a dome, has played for an offensive minded hc under the same system and always had talent around him. And those bad defenses you mention mean a lots of shootouts / pass attempts 

Great, great QB but to pretend hes not been in the ideal situation to rack up numbers is disingenuous.

24 minutes ago, CTM said:

Brees plays in a dome, has played for an offensive minded hc under the same system and always had talent around him. And those bad defenses you mention mean a lots of shootouts / pass attempts 

Great, great QB but to pretend hes not been in the ideal situation to rack up numbers is disingenuous.

The NFC South is also a much tougher division than the AFC East. Brees is top 5 and you’ll be able to make an argument when he’s done that he’s the beat ever, imo. He’s going to hold every record. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The NFC South is also a much tougher division than the AFC East. Brees is top 5 and you’ll be able to make an argument when he’s done that he’s the beat ever, imo. He’s going to hold every record. 

Brees has 40% more TD at home than on the road with less attempts @ home. I don't think many will make the GOAT argument, not even sure top 5 is a lock 

1 hour ago, Rexorcism said:

I always wondered back then when Phillips was drafted, why aren't we trying to trade for Brees? Great leader and QB

If I remember correctly, Bress was not very good to start his career, seemed to get better once they drafted Rivers (competition?) and then got hurt, the injury was the same as Chad's so there was probably return of the noodle fears - I am sure there are necro threads somewhere

Agree on Miami medical staff, think Drew actually wanted to go there but landed in the right spot, Great for him and NO

28 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

If I remember correctly, Bress was not very good to start his career, seemed to get better once they drafted Rivers (competition?) and then got hurt, the injury was the same as Chad's so there was probably return of the noodle fears - I am sure there are necro threads somewhere

Agree on Miami medical staff, think Drew actually wanted to go there but landed in the right spot, Great for him and NO

Brees showed flashes his first few years but San Diego was ready to move on when they drafted Rivers.  Rivers held out as a rookie and Brees won the job because of that then led SD to 12-4 and a division title.  I think before the week 17 injury in 2005 SD was planning on re-signing him, once he got hurt they moved on to Rivers who has put up nice numbers but isn't half the QB Brees has been.  If Brees started in SD I think they win at least I've SB.

In this generation Brady is the clear choice for best, I think it's close call for second best btw Brees, Rodgers and Peyton. Amazing career for Brees.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

To claim I said he wasn’t in an ideal situation is also disingenuous.

Reread the post you quoted, you won’t find anywhere where I said Payton wasn’t great. In fact I gave Payton full credit for being the perfect playcaller for Brees. I said for the team overall, Payton leaves much to be desired, whereas overall, someone like Brady doesn’t have that issue. 

Also, “same talent” is the epitome of disingenuous. I can’t wait for you to equate Graham to Gronk, but who was the Brees equivalent to Randy Moss?

52 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

To claim I said he wasn’t in an ideal situation is also disingenuous.

Reread the post you quoted, you won’t find anywhere where I said Payton wasn’t great. In fact I gave Payton full credit for being the perfect playcaller for Brees. I said for the team overall, Payton leaves much to be desired, whereas overall, someone like Brady doesn’t have that issue. 

Also, “same talent” is the epitome of disingenuous. I can’t wait for you to equate Graham to Gronk, but who was the Brees equivalent to Randy Moss?

When you go to the trouble to list what you view as unfavorable in comparison to Brady and entirely ignore what he  had that was favorable in comparison to Brady in order to assert that hes better than Brady you are being disingenuous.

And over a near 20 year career Brady had 2 seasons of a past his prime Moss (age 30 and 32, acquired for 4th rd pick). This isnt the ace in the hole you seem to believe it to be when measured in career timelines

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Does this mean the boy wearing the #12 jersey isn’t his?

Haha I was trying to figure out what player he is...is it a Colston jersey?  Dude isnt even on the team anymore.

This picture reminds me of the Michael Jordan documentary back in the day, Come Fly with Me or something like that and they're at his house and he's got his kid on his lap and he asks him, who's your favorite player on the Bulls and his kid answer, BJ referring to BJ Armstrong. lmfao

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Classy guy, first ballot guy, best FA signing ever. 

I remember watching the game Brees got hurt.  Same year lots of Chargers fans wanted to see "the kid" Rivers play.

Even though his shoulder injury was very serious (especially for a QB), I was still shocked when San Diego parted ways with Brees.  Certain guys you can see that they are gifted playres. Guaranteed, every second of his rehab and success since was/is driven by Brees' desire to show the folks who got rid of him just how huge a mistake they made.

Incredible QB.  Congrats on your monumental achievement.

28 minutes ago, CTM said:

When you go to the trouble to list what you view as unfavorable in comparison to Brady and entirely ignore what he  had that was favorable in comparison to Brady in order to assert that hes better than Brady you are being disingenuous.

And over a near 20 year career Brady had 2 seasons of a past his prime Moss (age 30 and 32, acquired for 4th rd pick). This isnt the ace in the hole you seem to believe it to be when measured in career timelines

"Past his prime Moss" isn't even being disingenuous. It's straight up being stupid. Moss broke and then reset records in those years. He's also in the HoF largely because of those years. He's also in consideration for the greatest WR in history because of those years. You want to talk about Payton and the dome inflating Brees stats? That's exactly what Moss' two years with Brady did for Brady.

Whatever man. You want to argue semantics, go for it. Anyone worth an opinion would tell you that Brees never has played with the caliber of Randy Moss or Rob Gronkowski for even one season, let alone a combined 10 years and counting for brady.

37 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

"Past his prime Moss" isn't even being disingenuous. It's straight up being stupid. Moss broke and then reset records in those years. He's also in the HoF largely because of those years. He's also in consideration for the greatest WR in history because of those years. You want to talk about Payton and the dome inflating Brees stats? That's exactly what Moss' two years with Brady did for Brady.

Whatever man. You want to argue semantics, go for it. Anyone worth an opinion would tell you that Brees never has played with the caliber of Randy Moss or Rob Gronkowski for even one season, let alone a combined 10 years and counting for brady.

Yes 30 is past your prime as a receiver. Imo hes the most gifted receiver ever which is why even past his prime he put up a monster season when paired with an in prime top 3 QB of all time. Remember this is a relative term and being past your prime doesnt mean he had fallen off a cliff, that happenned 3years later at 33. A past his prime Moss is still a top flight receiver.  Anyway, he was rejuvenated by playing with Brady, but was basically unwanted by the league prior, had a pedestrian year with Cassel after 07 followed by another decent year with Brady and then was basically done.

Considering most unbiased rate Brady as GOAT or top 3, and Brees somewhere between 5 and 15 "anyone worth an opinion" would likely disagree with your initial post

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Brees has 40% more TD at home than on the road with less attempts @ home. I don't think many will make the GOAT argument, not even sure top 5 is a lock 

Goat shmoat has he ever even been the best quarterback in the league? I mean it’s not like he’s the Curtis Martin of quarterbacks or anything but all the fawning is more than a bit much.

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

Yes 30 is past your prime as a receiver. Imo hes the most gifted receiver ever which is why even past his prime he put up a monster season when paired with an in prime top 3 QB of all time. He was rejuvenated by playing with Brady, but was basically unwanted by the league prior, had a pedestrian year with Cassel after 07 followed by another decent year with Brady and then was basically done.

Considering most unbiased rate Brady as GOAT or top 3, and Brees somewhere between 5 and 15 "anyone worth an opinion" would likely disagree with your initial post

Show me where I said anything about Brady not being in consideration for GOAT? I'll wait.

Sorry you got all in your feelings because you felt that your boo brady was being disrespected, but that's simply not the case. Just as it wasn't the case the only other time you and I have ever had an exchange, where you thought I was dissing brady and then calmed down and reread my posts and realized that, oh wait, greenwich actually wasn't dissing brady.

Randy Moss is the most gifted receiver ever, just as Gronk is the most gifted TE ever. That was my entire point. As you pointed out, Brees doesn't get consideration for GOAT, and my initial post was entirely explaining that it's largely because he has never played with anyone of Moss/Gronk's caliber, and didn't have Belichick/Ernie Adams tilting games for him to get him more wins and postseason success.

It's not difficult to understand as long as you stop consistently getting so uppity about everything you perceive as a slight to brady.

26 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Goat shmoat has he ever even been the best quarterback in the league? I mean it’s not like he’s the Curtis Martin of quarterbacks or anything but all the fawning is more than a bit much.

Let's start with 2011.

5,476 yards.  46 TDs.  14 INTs.  71.2% completion %.  13-3 record.  Rodgers won the MVP with 800 fewer yards, but a 45/6 TD/INT ratio.  Not sure how you pick between them.

Compare his playoff numbers to Brady if you can get the press of Brady's knob long enough...

Brady: 276 Y/G,  62.8 Comp %, 4.8 TD %, 2.1 INT %, 4.3 Sack %, Rating 90.9

Brees: 324 Y/G, 65.9 Comp %, 5.4 TD %, 1.7 INT %, 3.9 Sack %, Rating 100.7

Brees had better numbers in every single category on a per-game basis.  And you can easily argue that Brees had less to work with than Brady in terms of skill position players.  Oh, and there's the no-cheating and no-steroids thing but maybe that's nit-picking.

It doesn't really matter in the end, because 12 or so years from now, Aaron Rodgers will get his gold jacket and be the undisputed GOAT.  Brady will have the rings, but Rodgers, statistically, is so far better than everyone else it's not even a race.  It's a beat-down.  

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Let's start with 2011.

5,476 yards.  46 TDs.  14 INTs.  71.2% completion %.  13-3 record.  Rodgers won the MVP with 800 fewer yards, but a 45/6 TD/INT ratio.  Not sure how you pick between them.

Compare his playoff numbers to Brady if you can get the press of Brady's knob long enough...

Brady: 276 Y/G,  62.8 Comp %, 4.8 TD %, 2.1 INT %, 4.3 Sack %, Rating 90.9

Brees: 324 Y/G, 65.9 Comp %, 5.4 TD %, 1.7 INT %, 3.9 Sack %, Rating 100.7

Brees had better numbers in every single category on a per-game basis.  And you can easily argue that Brees had less to work with than Brady in terms of skill position players.  Oh, and there's the no-cheating and no-steroids thing but maybe that's nit-picking.

It doesn't really matter in the end, because 15 years from now, Aaron Rodgers will get his gold jacket and be the undisputed GOAT.  Brady will have the rings, but Rodgers, statistically, is so far better than everyone else it's not even a race.  It's a beat-down.  

If Brady didn’t play for the Patriots the only number you’d be concerned with is five. Don’t tell us about stats pls.

Archived