Is Chris Herndon...Good?

MichaelScott

Hey JN! Long time lurker, first time poster. 

I'm cautiously excited watching Herndon over the past couple weeks. I realize he is still only averaging a couple catches a game but it seems like Sam is looking his way more and more. Maybe I'm crazy (I'm definitely crazy) and this is more about the TE position being completely irrelevant for this team in the last half decade, but I'm hoping that this is Herndon starting to separate himself from the rest of the group. 

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I'm cautiously excited watching Herndon over the past couple weeks. I realize he is still only averaging a couple catches a game but it seems like Sam is looking his way more and more. Maybe I'm crazy (I'm definitely crazy) and this is more about the TE position being completely irrelevant for this team in the last half decade, but I'm hoping that this is Herndon starting to separate himself from the rest of the group. 

Thoughts?

He’s looked good ever since that first ugly game where he didn’t stretch his arms out for the touchdown. I would assume it means that he took the off game to heart and worked as the weeks went on, that’s one good sign. I would hope that him and Darnold continue to connect. Nothing adjusts a player to the pro speed like having some confidence and further chemistry between Herndon and Darnold will do that 

So far so good though. He should see more targets with an injury riddled WR core.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’s looked good ever since that first ugly game where he didn’t stretch his arms out for the touchdown. I would assume it means that he took the off game to heart and worked as the weeks went on, that’s one good sign. I would hope that him and Darnold continue to connect. Nothing adjusts a player to the pro speed like having some confidence and further chemistry between Herndon and Darnold will do that 

So far so good though. He should see more targets with an injury riddled WR core.

I see TE screens in our future

40 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm starting him this week on my FF team because my TE in on a bye, so he must be good! 

Funny you say that, I was thinking about picking him up for my bye week replacement in a couple weeks. 13 and 14 points the last two weeks. If he separates from the rest of the group and gets more targets from Sam, I think he could be a big part of the offense going forward, not just this season 

not putting him in canton just yet.  he's played well but this team has been so bereft of te's for the past 10 seasons that anyone who can breath looks good.  still between leggett sterling and herndon the jets might have found an answer to the position.  and it couldn't come at a better time considering how the receivers are dropping like flies. the only question is can they use more double te sets or split one of these guys out?

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Interesting enough we supposedly have 3-4 very good TE's in Sterling,Herndon,Leggett and Tomlinson yet they are rarely used in the passing game. 

Against the Vikings I expected them to use the heck out of the TE's. 

Is this on Jeremey Bates or Todd Bowles.

I remember Tomlinson being used and dropping a perfect pass for an easy 3rd down plus. We also don't know how many plays were run for tight ends that were covered. Just because a player doesn't get a ball doesn't mean there weren't plays run for said player. 

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I remember Tomlinson being used and dropping a perfect pass for an easy 3rd down plus. We also don't know how many plays were run for tight ends that were covered. Just because a player doesn't get a ball doesn't mean there weren't plays run for said player. 

Ok I was expecting more 3 TE formations or a TE lined up as a WR I don't remember seeing that. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

and it couldn't come at a better time considering how the receivers are dropping like flies. the only question is can they use more double te sets or split one of these guys out?

I think that's where #89 will be most effective. They can line him up in a double TE formation and then motion him to the outside to either out muscle/leap a DB (like against Indy) OR out run the LB in coverage. He's 6'3" so he's not gargantuan like ASJ or Gronk are, but he's enough of a Tweener that can be pretty dangerous if moved around and used properly to exploit mismatches against opposing defenses. 

48 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I think that's where #89 will be most effective. They can line him up in a double TE formation and then motion him to the outside to either out muscle/leap a DB (like against Indy) OR out run the LB in coverage. He's 6'3" so he's not gargantuan like ASJ or Gronk are, but he's enough of a Tweener that can be pretty dangerous if moved around and used properly to exploit mismatches against opposing defenses. 

yep and that's also where losing powell might be worse than losing one of the wr's.  powell was a really good pass receiver and could be effective in the flat or coming out of the back field after chipping a pass rusher. another point is the jets really can't rely one passing more than 25-30 times per game so when a wr goes down they only need to replace maybe 5 receptions.  they should be able to do that with the te's.

4 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Thoughts?

You're definitely crazy.  

Herndon has looked good.  I wonder how many games his suspension will be?  The league will be sure to suspend him as soon as we need him the most.  (DWI at nearly double the limit at 5 am on Rte 80 East in Rockaway with passengers in the car and an accident = suspension)

Archived