Maccagnan is demonstrably horrible

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

Sperm did a great job citing the opportunity cost of some of Mac's decisions and even indecisions. Myopic Mac has put is in a bad spot. 

Indeed.  It's easy enough just to list off the names of the players Macc has signed, point out our W-L record the last 3 years, and then conclude Macc sucks.  That would be good enough.  But Sperm takes it to that next level, showing exactly how each bad move exacerbated things and led to more bad moves. 

At many points in the process Macc could have made up for at least some of these bad decisions, but he never did.  It's just gotten worse and worse, and none of this evidence suggests he'll do anything positive with all this cap room we're left with.  Cap room which only exists because of his own incompetence from the jump. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did you even read what Sperm wrote?

It's not just the amount of money wasted.  It's what these moves cost us in a domino-like effect that really matters. 

There WERE alternatives to signing these dead weight guys.  It centered on not signing any of those UFA's at all, picking up some compensatory picks on the way, building via the draft, and filling those roster slots with non-UFA's (like UDFA's and cut players). 

Saying that late draft picks, UDFA and cut players would have resulted in better on field performance is a gigantic stretch. We would have gone 0-16 and had the same amount of cap. Maybe we would have hit on 1 or 2 players that would be viable starters but with Macs draft record that nightly questionable.

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Saying that late draft picks, UDFA and cut players would have resulted in better on field performance is a gigantic stretch. We would have gone 0-16 and had the same amount of cap. Maybe we would have hit on 1 or 2 players that would be viable starters but with Macs draft record that nightly questionable. 

0-16 >>> 5-11.  Give me the even higher pick AND compensatory selections over dead weight UFA signings any day. 

And the part about Macc's draft record is exactly the problem.  You HAVE to build via the draft, and Macc sucks at it.  What else is there to say?  He is terrible at every aspect of his job, and especially bad at the most important one.  It's only because of his ineptitude at drafting that we have to heavily rely on UFA signings in the first place.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Can we delete all the responses and just let this post stand alone?  Amazing.

Actually, I was just gonna go ahead and merge it with the Fire Maccagnan! thread. 

50 minutes ago, heymangold said:

if harbaugh is named HC, does he become GM as well?!

Best case scenario if the reporting that Maccagnan will avoid the ax is true is if the reporting that the Jets are going "big game hunting" for a head coach also is, and that that head coach will be in charge of the organization, and Mac's job will be to get two cups of coffee when he slips out to give one to his new boss. 

• Haha 1

The only one of the signings here that was truly bad was Wilkerson because it was questionable if he was the real deal. Honestly, I don't really care about how much we spent because we are not cap strapped. There is no reason not to spend up to the cap. 

As for FA signings in general, so few of them workout for any team. Did Hurns work out for Dallas? Is Golden Tate working out for Philly? Do you think Mn. is doing cartwheels over Cousins? How about Crabtree on the Ravens? Allen Robinson on the Bears? Jimmy Graham on GB? Watkins on KC? Solder on the Giants (my brother who is a huge G fan hates this guy)

Mac is far from alone in these kind of mistakes. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

This soundbite is part of the problem. The roster is the worst in the NFL. There is no question who is to blame.

To me, there is question.  To me, they aren't the least talented roster in the NFL.  If you are smarter than I am, or think you are, more power to you.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

The only one of the signings here that was truly bad was Wilkerson because it was questionable if he was the real deal. Honestly, I don't really care about how much we spent because we are not cap strapped. There is no reason not to spend up to the cap. 

As for FA signings in general, so few of them workout for any team. Did Hurns work out for Dallas? Is Golden Tate working out for Philly? Do you think Mn. is doing cartwheels over Cousins? How about Crabtree on the Ravens? Allen Robinson on the Bears? Jimmy Graham on GB? Watkins on KC? Solder on the Giants (my brother who is a huge G fan hates this guy)

Mac is far from alone in these kind of mistakes. 

The ******* money rolls over. 

Even by your reasoning he ****ed up royally.  If there is no reason not to spend up the cap, then why the **** hasn't he? 

Solder is a huge upgrade over Flowers.  IMO, Robinson is helping Trubisky plenty and Crabtree was fine before they went all Lamar Jackson down here.  Crabtree and Hurns were barely bigger than Pryor on the signing scale.  Kind of silly to rag on the Cousins signing when Maccagnan was all on board with giving him more than the Vikings did. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The ******* money rolls over. 

Even by your reasoning he ****ed up royally.  If there is no reason not to spend up the cap, then why the **** hasn't he? 

Solder is a huge upgrade over Flowers.  IMO, Robinson is helping Trubisky plenty and Crabtree was fine before they went all Lamar Jackson down here.  Crabtree and Hurns were barely bigger than Pryor on the signing scale.  Kind of silly to rag on the Cousins signing when Maccagnan was all on board with giving him more than the Vikings did. 

My point is even with all these signings, the money is insignificant since we are so far under the cap. 

As for the others I named, I am only pointing out what a crap shoot FA signings are. Everyone here would have celebrated that Cousins signing had it happened and would have burned Mac at the stake when he sucked because he had nobody to throw to. It wasn't wrong to try and sign him but I would say there is an argument to made if he should be the highest paid QB fully guaranteed. 

As for Robinson. I have him on one of my fantasy teams. He has like 4 TDs and barely breaks 60 yards. That isn't helping anyone. 

48 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Everything we've done since 2015 has a defensive lean to it. Considering our Head Coach is averse to offense, I'd say giving the old heave ho to Mr. Todd Bowles will have the most positive affect on this Jets organization going forward. 

Its not a surprise to me that the 2015 free agent splurge looked like this..Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist. If that doesn't scream Todd Bowles is the Head Coach, I don't know what people are missing. Oh, and Darron Lee, Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, MARCUS MAYE again in the 2nd? I can hear Macc saying, "Did we get enough defensive players for your scheme to work Todd?". 

Darnold & a new head coach changes everything, if we can't get guys to come here BECAUSE of Macc, he'll be fired, end of story. QB is in place, new uniforms are being designed, the rebranding of the New York Jets doesn't get off the ground when they announce John Defilipo as the new Head Coach. I see Macc basically neutered & the new guy IN CHARGE. 

What "end of story" are you speaking of? If he's not fired then he's getting an extension so the end of the Macc story still wouldn't be until 2022 or later. That is, unless J&J are willing to fire him after 2019 and pick between which poison is worse: fire the HC with Macc so the new GM will then have to go on a HC search after we just fired our last one after only 1 year; or shop for a new GM and force-feed Macc's HC onto all candidates as a prerequisite.

By retaining/extending Maccagnan, literally the only possible decent candidate we could then get for either position before 2022 is a new HC who gets GM control for a Gruden-like contract. But of course then we're again right back to J&J rather than competent football professionals hiring the Jets' next HC.

Darnold and cap room "changes everything" for just 1 good reason: it's more attractive for a GM candidate because he'll be contractually and emotionally tied to so few of the predecessor's pickups. It is not good for a GM to have this many holes and this much cap room to spend, because with the mandatory spending date upcoming he'll have to spend on who's available to us at that time rather than who's worth spending it on. I still think it's attractive to someone new, when combined with the ability to hire his own HC immediately.

Maccagnan has earned the trust to hire a HC and wisely spend heavily on other teams' castoffs about as much as Bowles has earned the trust to wisely coach them. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Fire both. None of us know how the power is divvied up as it relates to free agents, draft etc. I think both should go, but my gut says they're more adamant on firing Bowles because he's had final call on a lot of these moves that clearly haven't worked. The coach under Woody has always seemed to command more power. Hell Bradway took a "demotion." But again, it's impossible to say with the current structure who actually has final call on every move, and that's on the owner.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Indeed.  It's easy enough just to list off the names of the players Macc has signed, point out our W-L record the last 3 years, and then conclude Macc sucks.  That would be good enough.  But Sperm takes it to that next level, showing exactly how each bad move exacerbated things and led to more bad 

Sort of like taking a shlt sandwich ? to the lab for analysis.  ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I find these posts funny at this point. Before the season started, it wasn't about wins or losses. It was about developing Sam. It's all about the QB. Ask yourself this question. If Sam had played the entire year the way he played the last two games, what would are record be.. It; not out of the realm of possibility we win these last two games. Look back at the Browns game. Both Dolphin games, the Titans game. It's all about the QB.

• Thumb Down 1

I believe that if they can get a big name coach, they will let him pick the groceries and fire Macc--at his convenience.  then he picks his own personnel guy.  That way they do not technicallty fire Macc-the new coach does.  And I do believe they will try to get someone who has provided a stable environment in the pros before.  This "new guy" stuff has to go.  Coaching is more than just X's and O's. No more auditions.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

0-16 >>> 5-11.  Give me the even higher pick AND compensatory selections over dead weight UFA signings any day. 

And the part about Macc's draft record is exactly the problem.  You HAVE to build via the draft, and Macc sucks at it.  What else is there to say?  He is terrible at every aspect of his job, and especially bad at the most important one.  It's only because of his ineptitude at drafting that we have to heavily rely on UFA signings in the first place.

I think Mac is good at managing the cap, trades, and finding some value in a barren FA market. We’ve fielded competitive treams and managed to stay under the cap and got a franchise QB. He’s basically been the the most successfull gm in the history of the franchise if he hits on darnold- the trade was masterful.

that being said he isn’t a good talent evaluator and probably should be replaced 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

My point is even with all these signings, the money is insignificant since we are so far under the cap. 

As for the others I named, I am only pointing out what a crap shoot FA signings are. Everyone here would have celebrated that Cousins signing had it happened and would have burned Mac at the stake when he sucked because he had nobody to throw to. It wasn't wrong to try and sign him but I would say there is an argument to made if he should be the highest paid QB fully guaranteed. 

As for Robinson. I have him on one of my fantasy teams. He has like 4 TDs and barely breaks 60 yards. That isn't helping anyone. 

We are under the cap because we have no talent.  We don't spend and he gets credit?

Not having fantasy stats has **** all to do with whether a WR is helping his QB.  Even with his "disappointing" stats Robinson would lead the Jets in receptions and receiving yards, He has one less TD than our leader- Anderson who most don't want to pay.  He gets 55 ypg, not 60 which is 6 yards more than anyone on roster. If you don't like his season, the fact that it would best anything we have is another indictment of Maccagnan.  Robinson got real money, but the Jets paid Terrelle Pryor $2M+ guaranteed and would have gone $4.5M for the season to whine on twitter, question team doctors and generally act douche-y.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, genot said:

I find these posts funny at this point. Before the season started, it wasn't about wins or losses. It was about developing Sam. It's all about the QB. Ask yourself this question. If Sam had played the entire year the way he played the last two games, what would are record be.. It; not out of the realm of possibility we win these last two games. Look back at the Browns game. Both Dolphin games, the Titans game. It's all about the QB.

And yet Macc didn't do d**k to help prepare for the day when we GOT the QB. 

It's not like the work of the GM only STARTS when he gets the QB.  He's had 4 years to build a roster capable of helping out a young franchise QB.  He very clearly hasn't, and its easy to make a case that it's stunting Darnold's development. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What "end of story" are you speaking of? If he's not fired then he's getting an extension so the end of the Macc story still wouldn't be until 2022 or later. That is, unless J&J are willing to fire him after 2019 and pick between which poison is worse: fire the HC with Macc so the new GM will then have to go on a HC search after we just fired our last one after only 1 year; or shop for a new GM and force-feed Macc's HC onto all candidates as a prerequisite.

By retaining/extending Maccagnan, literally the only possible decent candidate we could then get for either position before 2022 is a new HC who gets GM control for a Gruden-like contract. But of course then we're again right back to J&J rather than competent football professionals hiring the Jets' next HC.

Darnold and cap room "changes everything" for just 1 good reason: it's more attractive for a GM candidate because he'll be contractually and emotionally tied to so few of the predecessor's pickups. It is not good for a GM to have this many holes and this much cap room to spend, because with the mandatory spending date upcoming he'll have to spend on who's available to us at that time rather than who's worth spending it on. I still think it's attractive to someone new, when combined with the ability to hire his own HC immediately.

Maccagnan has earned the trust to hire a HC and wisely spend heavily on other teams' castoffs about as much as Bowles has earned the trust to wisely coach them. 

Sperm...something else that strikes me as odd. Is Woody that much of a pariah in NFL owners circles that he doesn't have a few trusted allies who could basically tell him how to do things, or a least open his eyes to the fact that he has made this team the laughingstock of the NFL? I'm not talking about relics like Casserly, Wolf etc, but real decision makers.

9 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I think Mac is good at managing the cap, trades, and finding some value in a barren FA market. We’ve fielded competitive treams and managed to stay under the cap and got a franchise QB. He’s basically been the the most successfull gm in the history of the franchise if he hits on darnold- the trade was masterful.

that being said he isn’t a good talent evaluator and probably should be replaced 

5-11 = competitive?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

We are lucky to have people on this website with the passion and dedication to write articles like this for us, for free. Well researched, enlightening, and intelligent. Meanwhile, Brian Costello is in his car eating a bag of Egg McMuffins trying to find synonyms for “dynamic” so he can patch together another 300 word sub-MySpace level blog post about Jamal Adams making the pro bowl. Great job, @Sperm Edwards

I have known you forever. Your ability to constantly surprise me, surprises me. This post is hysterical and true.

• Upvote 3