Dolphins plan to tank in 2019 with eye towards 2020 QB class

jetstream23

Sound familiar?

Dolphins considering rebuild, eye heralded QBs in 2020 draft class

Even before they hire Patriots linebackers coach Brian Flores as their next head coach, the Dolphins already are thinking about rebuilding and trying to land one of the trumpeted quarterbacks from the class of 2020, which includes Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa and Oregon's Justin Herbert, league sources told ESPN.

The Dolphins know they have to focus on player development and building the trenches next season, putting the franchise on track to select one of the promising quarterbacks from the 2020 draft and rebuild over time, according to league sources.

It is difficult to tank in the NFL with players' contracts not being guaranteed. But the Dolphins recognize that losing likely will be a part of next season, and it will take some time to build the roster to where they want it to be, according to sources.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross acknowledged as much when he discussed the team's future after former head coach Adam Gase was fired on Dec. 31.

Flores is expected to be a part of the growth process for the Dolphins, who went 7-9 under Gase this season and own the 13th pick in this year's draft. The Dolphins already are eyeing a top-10 pick in the 2020 draft, according to people familiar with the team's thinking.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25749961/miami-dolphins-considering-rebuild-eye-heralded-qbs-2020-draft-class

Miami will be all over defensive and offensive linemen in this upcoming Draft and hoping to score a QB in 2020.

Exactly what Macagnan initially tried to do but idiotically signed Josh Mccown. If he just jet Hackenberg and Petty battle it out for the starting job Jets would have had an extra three 2nd round picks. He got lucky to be able to trade up but that wasn't a guarantee.

Exactly what Macagnan initially tried to do but idiotically signed Josh Mccown. If he just jet Hackenberg and Petty battle it out for the starting job Jets would have had an extra three 2nd round picks. He got lucky to be able to trade up but that wasn't a guarantee.
1) I don't believe mccagan intended to tank any year.
2) how many teams has McCown secured a top 5 pick for in the past? He is a pretty safe bet when it comes to tanking.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah; now you know why they got rid of Gase (not claiming he is great), but he wanted to play to win. This is a pretty stupid plan. First that means they have to loose all of their games next year; that will be a long year. Also, if they are too obvious, the league may step in (doubt it though). Then they have a sh*tty team with a rookie QB - they better hope they pick correctly. Also, what if the guy they are tanking for doesn't play well, or doesn't declare. Also, you don't know what the new contract will look like and if there is going to be a work stoppage.

There is a lot of gambling and 2 to 3 crappy years. Fans here called for a tank; then were upset that we didn't tank well enough; then got frustrated that after landing their QB after all, the team didn't win the SB. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

2) how many teams has McCown secured a top 5 pick for in the past? He is a pretty safe bet when it comes to tanking.

Ha well if we had petty play all yr, we pick 1 or 2, get darnold and still have 3 very good 2nd round picks. If Mac was a decent gm I’d be more pissed, but we all know he would have wasted 2 of those 3 picks

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

They just better not draft Jake Fromm. I will be so pissed if they get him.

Nothing any of us can do really. I mean we got a young franchise QB right now.  I will say this though tanking can be a hit or miss.  Browns tanked for years and it wasnt until this year that they potentially found their QB, same with us.  

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Nothing any of us can do really. I mean we got a young franchise QB right now.  I will say this though tanking can be a hit or miss.  Browns tanked for years and it wasnt until this year that they potentially found their QB, same with us.  

It’s not that they’ll find a franchise QB. I don’t want them getting a QB from Georgia.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Nonsense. It’s besides the point anyways. Macc drafted Hack and Petty with both in the wings needing to play. If they both bombed, you move on. Both should have played intermittently. But playing them would have disclosed what a clueless GM Macc was. Macc signed McClown because he knew playing Hack OR Petty would have been GM suicide. It was a face saving move that just compounded the mistake of drafting Wackenberg in the first place. There was absolutely no need to sign McClown who, in essence, ‘won’ 5 meaningless games costing Macc to trade up those 3 2nd rounders. Ironically, signing McClown probably saved Macc’s job even though it was a highly inconceivable move. 

But the Dolphins recognize that losing likely will be a part of next season, and it will take some time to build the roster to where they want it to be, according to sources.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross acknowledged as much when he discussed the team's future after former head coach Adam Gase was fired on Dec. 31.

And there is still a lot of gnashing about the Gase hire based on his recent record in Miami. Even the owner admits they have a talent deficit.

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

And lost 3 second round picks in the process

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

I’m thinking that Bowles might have forced Maccagnan’s hand into bringing McCown on board.  It’s known that Bowles was totally against the Hackenberg pick, rare good for him, and he refused to play Hackenberg 1 single solitary down.  Petty already had shown the odds were great he couldn’t play at the pro level, so now Maccagnan probably was looking at a mutiny...2 QBs neither of whom Bowles would play.

Such a horrific pick Hackenberg, not only did it segue into the try at face saving team wise with bringing in McCown to win 5 meaningless games.  But Maccagnan didn’t want to own up to it being  another busted pick of his so he wouldn’t draft Mahomes or Watson.

That Leonard Williams is one lucky dude that Maccagnan still miraculously has the GM job...watch him get some sick dollars because Maccagnan won’t own his pick.

Smart move by Miami.

Tua and Fromm next year. Lawrence the year after. People act like it’s a federal crime to tank. Not sure why.

Sure players don’t tank. But ownership and GMs can. Trade ur better players. Worry more about amassing draft picks then bringing in players (I.e save/roll over cap space), put some $hit head in at QB. 

Archived