Schefter: Jets Finalizing deal for Gregg Williams

k-met57

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Interesting side bar story here.  As most of us know Greg Williams rep isn't that "he's a real nice guy".  It seems obvious that Mayfield selected Kitchens over Williams for HC.  We play the Browns this year.

Could be a long day for one of them.  :) 

we play em again? hm,m

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Sorry guys, But after all the crap I've read from these expert NFL Insiders the last few weeks via Twitter, I'm going to just wait for the Jets to announce the hire before I get all amped up here.

See? Old dogs CAN learn after all.  I'm with you man. If there's anything the Maccagnan led Jets has proven, is that there aren't any leaks. The rest is debatable but not that. Pretty much everything we hear is assumption.  These guys in the press know almost nothing. 

Aside from being a really good DC, I think a good part of this decision is due to Trumaine Johnson who has played under Williams. Johnson did not look happy in Bowles system and I think that was part of the reason he played poorly and bailed late in the year. He is still a douche for doing that, but I think we see new Trumaine next year. 

13 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Now I'm worried about Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach - I just feel these dumba$$es are going to blow it...….

lol Were the best in the business. Knock em down so we can worry about the next thing baby!  Who's our equipment guy anyway? We need an upgrade and I want John Jingleheimer! SIGN THAT BEAST!!! 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Pretty cool that we chose a DC before an HC. Maccagnan and Johnson ahead of the game once again baby

Well yeah cause it would have been much better to let a coach come in here and hire Kacy Rogers, let him fail miserably, yet keep him for 4 years

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I think they can do it but they are allowed to opt out.

Right -- and in 2019 nobody wants to be on Hard Knocks anymore. Teams are forced.

It's gonna be Raiders, 49ers, Giants, Redskins, or Lions, that's who is eligible.

My money is on the Giants. You get Saquon, OBJ, a potential Eli/rookie QB storyline and one of the biggest markets/proudest franchises you'll rarely get a chance to have.

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Let's see--

• Big Media Market
  • New HC w/attitude and already a media point of interest
  • Loud mouth DC
  • Waaay outspoken Safety Adams who's a media darling
  • QB that the world loves
  • Let's go with the Bell signing

....Gee, who do you think is going to be part of HARD KNOCKS conversation this year.

Let me ask you a question. I watched a lot of Browns football this year (its a Mayfield thing, lol). It seemed to me that  Greg Williams defense was based on pressure from the inside (Myles Garret) and put a lot of emphasis on good corner play. They gave up a lot of yards, yet locked down near the red zone. Assuming he wants to do something similar here, does that put players like Greedy Williams and Quinnan Williams more in the Jets sights come the draft? I'm thinking QW especially, because Cleveland needed one more inside guy to pair with Garrett, and we have Leo already here. What do you think?

16 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Now I'm worried about Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach - I just feel these dumba$$es are going to blow it...….

Jets are bringing back Gholston to coach strength and conditioning. Lifting weights is the only thing he is good at. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001010926/article/gregg-williams-close-to-deal-to-become-new-jets-dc

Gregg Williams close to deal to become new Jets DC

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
Print
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Jan. 15, 2019 at 03:35 p.m.
  • 0 Likes  |  0 Comments

The New York Jets found their defensive coach to pair with Adam Gase.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday the Jets are finalizing a three-year agreement with Gregg Williams to be their defensive coordinator, per a source informed of the situation.

ESPN first reported the news.

Rapoport previously reported that Williams had been the team's choice to take over Gang Green's defense before Gase was officially hired. The new head coach was on board with the hiring.

Williams has a long history as an NFL coordinator, most notably helping the New Orleans Saints win the Super Bowl in 2009 before the Bountygate scandal. The Jets will be the eighth NFL organization to employ Williams.

The 60-year-old assistant spent the last two seasons with the Cleveland Browns before being elevated to interim head coach after the firing of Hue Jackson midway through the 2018 campaign. The Browns ranked 12th in Football Outsiders DVOA in 2018 after finishing 16th in 2017 -- Cleveland ranked 30th the year before Williams' arrival.

How the pieces in New York fit with Williams' attacking, 4-3 system involving a heavy blitz scheme remain to be seen after years of Gang Green running a base 3-4 defense. The Jets have some intriguing playmakers in dynamic safety Jamal Adams and first-round defensive end Leonard Williams, but will need to spend the offseason building the unit to fit Williams' style.

Williams takes over a Jets defense that was horrific in 2018 under Todd Bowles, finishing 29th in total yards allowed and 23rd in scoring -- the 441 points given up was the second-most in team history. The hope is that the new attacking defense can help the Gang Green force more turnovers, after collecting just 20 takeaways last season.

22 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Interesting side bar story here.  As most of us know Greg Williams rep isn't that "he's a real nice guy".  It seems obvious that Mayfield selected Kitchens over Williams for HC.  We play the Browns this year.

Could be a long day for one of them.  :) 

Try. Just try and stop me from going to that game!!! \\:D/

20 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Well, you can. Any team can be on HK, it's just that most teams don't want to be. The NFL can't force a team with a first year HC to be on HK.

The criteria to be exempt from HK:

- first year HC

- made playoffs in the last two years

- teams that have appeared on HK in the last 10 years

If no team volunteers, the NFL can force the Ravens, 49ers, Chargers or Redskins to do HK.

Add Giants, lions, and bills to that list. Ravens and chargers made playoffs, so I believe they are exempt.

11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Right -- and in 2019 nobody wants to be on Hard Knocks anymore. Teams are forced.

It's gonna be Raiders, 49ers, Giants, Redskins, or Lions, that's who is illegible.

My money is on the Giants. You get Saquon, OBJ, a potential Eli/rookie QB storyline and one of the biggest markets/proudest franchises you'll rarely get a chance to have.

It does seem like a perfect situation for HK.  The Raiders could be an interesting choice also though because....Gruden.  And now with Mayock there, it adds a little tie-in back to NFLN.  I think if the Giants draft a QB early, they should be the choice though.  It could be absolutely toxic in training camp.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It does seem like a perfect situation for HK.  The Raiders could be an interesting choice also though because....Gruden.  And now with Mayock there, it adds a little tie-in back to NFLN.  I think if the Giants draft a QB early, they should be the choice though.  It could be absolutely toxic in training camp.

Raiders are the obvious runner up but scarcity is an issue -- you will almost certainly have Raiders in the pool again in 2020 (unless you believe they're making the playoffs this year.) This could be your only best chance at the Giants and the timing is perfect.

59 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Not so sure about that.

Williams D is all about getting after the QB, and press coverage.  Right now the Jets have 0 edge rushers, Williams needs one to make his D work.  I'm sure he has asked them how they are going to deal with their lack of a 4 man pass rush...…….Seems he had other options

It's a lot easier to get pass rushers that play with their hand in the dirt rather than standing up. There's more DE's available than pass rushing OLB's. They're not as interchangeable as you'd think.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Anybody who does not like this hire should have his head examined. Is he the nicest guy? No. If you want a nice guy bring back Bowles. I’ll take the a—hole who stops offenses and sacks QBs. 

Please explain how a guy who in the last decade hasn’t fielded a top ten scoring defense is a good hire?

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I’m just sitting here thinking how three career losers (Macc, Gase, and Williams) are the best chance this organization has in turning this thing around and making the playoffs in the foreseeable future. Like. Why bother?

Williams is SB winning DC. Sure, bounty happened, but so did spygate. And just know, coaches and players were suspended for atleast a year. The Pats? They lost a draft pick and some money.

Ill say that Williams paid his due

32 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

It’s Schefter

Take it to the bank

I love that there are still journalists out there adhering to old school principles and reaping the rewards reputationally....it ain’t official until Schefter says so.

that and the fact Williams is a great hire

25 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Unfortunately that's who we're probably getting.  LOL

Shouldn't matter, for the most part he's really just  Gase  aide 

Looks like a tool, but i've read and heard a number of people saying the guy is a genius.

We shall see I guess.

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I wonder what Greg's response to this would be?

I'll tell you what, I joined this site a week before the 2018 season started. The first "Game Thread" I ever followed was the Thursday night Jets-Browns game. It was beyond crazy. People arguing, cursing, bans all over the place. I remember thinking, "can it be this way every week here?" LOL. You mix Jets fans with Baker Mayfield, you're going to get some fireworks! Now you add Gase and Williams to the Jets? WOW.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Williams is SB winning DC. Sure, bounty happened, but so did spygate. And just know, coaches and players were suspended for atleast a year. The Pats? They lost a draft pick and some money.

Ill say that Williams paid his due

Williams won a Super Bowl 10 years ago because of Sean Payton and Drew Brees. He hasn’t done anything since. And now he’s got a bad Jets defense to try and turn around. Good luck!

Archived