Schefter: Jets Finalizing deal for Gregg Williams

k-met57

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Williams won a Super Bowl 10 years ago because of Sean Payton and Drew Brees. He hasn’t done anything since. And now he’s got a bad Jets defense to try and turn around. Good luck!

I recall the Saints defense stepping up and shutting down Joseph Addai and holding Manning to just one TD while picking him off to cap off the game and holding one of the most explosive offenses to just 17 points. 

Cool story bro.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Now I'm worried about Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach - I just feel these dumba$$es are going to blow it...….

They actually need a better one of these.  Too many injuries.

bring back sal alosi. 

32 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Right -- and in 2019 nobody wants to be on Hard Knocks anymore. Teams are forced.

It's gonna be Raiders, 49ers, Giants, Redskins, or Lions, that's who is illegible.

My money is on the Giants. You get Saquon, OBJ, a potential Eli/rookie QB storyline and one of the biggest markets/proudest franchises you'll rarely get a chance to have.

Yeah, them or the Raiders... strictly for Chucky.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

We have a great OC in Gase and a great DC in Williams and a great STC in Boyer.

Who the hell could complain about that?  You kidding me?  What a great week for Jets football.  Couldn't have done any better.

SAR I

So who are we hiring as Head Coach to lead this great crew?

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Let me ask you a question. I watched a lot of Browns football this year (its a Mayfield thing, lol). It seemed to me that  Greg Williams defense was based on pressure from the inside (Myles Garret) and put a lot of emphasis on good corner play. They gave up a lot of yards, yet locked down near the red zone. Assuming he wants to do something similar here, does that put players like Greedy Williams and Quinnan Williams more in the Jets sights come the draft? I'm thinking QW especially, because Cleveland needed one more inside guy to pair with Garrett, and we have Leo already here. What do you think?

Isn't Myles Garrett a DE in a 4-3?  I don't think that's considered an inside guy. 

30 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

MACC should hire all the assistants. Prolly he should call plays too

I honestly think coordinators were important in the hiring process and that's probably why other coaches were not hired like Rhule and McCarthy. I can't say I blame the Jets for wanting to be part of the process considering what we have dealt with the last 10 + years when it comes to coordinators. I think it's good Gase agreed to let everyone be a part of the process. Coordinators are like HC's to be honest and should be a big part of the discussion between an org and a HC now when it comes to position coaches that's an entirely different story and certainly not what Im talking about here

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I honestly think coordinators were important in the hiring process and that's probably why other coaches were not hired like Rhule and McCarthy. I can't say I blame the Jets for wanting to be part of the process considering what we have dealt with the last 10 + years when it comes to coordinators. I think it's good Gase agreed to let everyone be a part of the process. Coordinators are like HC's to be honest and should be a big part of the discussion between an org and a HC now when it comes to position coaches that's an entirely different story and certainly not what Im talking about here

To be fair, the Jets know first hand about terrible coordinators.  Chad Gailey, Jeremy Bates and everyone's favorite, Kacey Rogers, say hello.

28 minutes ago, Pac said:

Let's see what all these busts look like with real coaching.

exactly !! There are so many instances where coaching has made a huge difference in teams from year to year we can probably name numerous instances over the last few years alone in what a difference good coaching has made . 

Rams Fisher - McVay

Eagles Kelly - Pederson

In the short term look at the difference in Cleveland when they Dumped Jackson and Made Williams Interim .

KC Chiefs Todd haley Romeo Crennel - Andy Reid

Chicago Bears John Fox - Matt Nagy 

All those teams sucked the previous year All had very good turnarounds and it was not just about adding 1 or 2 players

Can anyone convince me the Rams would have did what they did with Jeff Fisher at the helm ? Or the Chiefs or the Bears or the Browns ? Convince me

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

That's great and all. but once again we are looking at hearsay. This Jets org is a tight lipped as anything I've ever seen.  No one knows anything out there. 

I hope that's the case and it may be, but even if it does this tweet, or whatever, by costello would just be like that broken clock. 

They said it was official on Daily News Live--for what that is worth

37 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

That's like hiring a CEO for a company and then telling the CEO who he/she must hire as VP's.  You hire the person in charge because you trust that person to make the right decisions for the team/company.  CJ and MacMoron collectively have never coached so much as a Peewee football game, so what makes them qualified to pick coordinators?  And it's more important to have coordinators who work well with the HC then just picking who you think are good.  If there is no chemistry, then you are guaranteed to fail.

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yeah that sounds great for the specific development of Sam, but the HC duties are vast. In game MGMT alone is a ridiculously entailed task. I am settling in on Gase as well, but I am concerned with comments like that. I think having a QB coach is a good thing. I actually liked what Bruce Arians said in his presser this past week. He said he was doubling the staff to have an entire group of coaches devoted to the younger guys and backups. This will give them more of an opportunity to get reps and attention in practice. He said something like "We give these guys 2-3 reps in practice and then wonder why they don't come in to the game and perform well"   I loved that. 

The benefits of Having more coaches has yet to be fleshed out. Having less coaches than traditional makes me nervous. 

Too many chefs! You know what team has the smallest coaching staff in the NFL? The Patriots. BB explained that too many coaches risks losing the main message and increases chances of dissention and malcontents questioning tactics, and results in assistant coach cliques. Smaller coaching staffs are better, more efficient, and breed closeness. I'm with BB on this one.

Archived