Schefter: Jets Finalizing deal for Gregg Williams

k-met57

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Let me ask you a question. I watched a lot of Browns football this year (its a Mayfield thing, lol). It seemed to me that  Greg Williams defense was based on pressure from the inside (Myles Garret) and put a lot of emphasis on good corner play. They gave up a lot of yards, yet locked down near the red zone. Assuming he wants to do something similar here, does that put players like Greedy Williams and Quinnan Williams more in the Jets sights come the draft? I'm thinking QW especially, because Cleveland needed one more inside guy to pair with Garrett, and we have Leo already here. What do you think?

Gregg Williams was DC when the Rams drafted Aaron Donald, and he just recently campaigned for Denzel  Ward at #4 who made the first team probowl as a rookie...so an argument can be made that he understands the value of both positions.  And both will be in play at #3 this year. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Too many chefs! You know what team has the smallest coaching staff in the NFL? The Patriots. BB explained that too many coaches risks losing the main message and increases chances of dissention and malcontents questioning tactics, and results in assistant coach cliques. Smaller coaching staffs are better, more efficient, and breed closeness. I'm with BB on this one.

That's an interesting take. I'd be interested to see some sort of list on which teams have the largest to smallest coaching staffs. Arians seemed to think he was going to revolutionize the game of football with this idea if dramatically increasing the coaching staff. 

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Too many chefs! You know what team has the smallest coaching staff in the NFL? The Patriots. BB explained that too many coaches risks losing the main message and increases chances of dissention and malcontents questioning tactics, and results in assistant coach cliques. Smaller coaching staffs are better, more efficient, and breed closeness. I'm with BB on this one.

I would definitely be with BB on this as well, if the head coach were of Bill Belichick or Bill Walsh’s caliber.

For someone like Gase, I support the idea of a DC who owns that entire side of the ball.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

So who are we hiring as Head Coach to lead this great crew?

Exactly!  We need an Offensive Coordinator.  Head Coaches that also act as coordinators don't make sense to me.  Gase needs to hire a guy that he can trust to call the plays that support the overall gameplay.  Gase needs to be engaged on both sides of the ball.  

4 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

Exactly!  We need an Offensive Coordinator.  Head Coaches that also act as coordinators don't make sense to me.  Gase needs to hire a guy that he can trust to call the plays that support the overall gameplay.  Gase needs to be engaged on both sides of the ball.  

Sean Payton doesn’t make sense to you? What about Bill Walsh? Andy Reid is doing pretty good in KC. McVay too. 

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Seconded. 

Basically, eliminate the useless flesh-bags that compose middle management. There are the people that present the PPT deck, the people that create the PPT deck, and then there's middle-managers... the dooshers whose job it is to tell you someone else needs a deck and what's supposed to be in it, but never seem to have anything right, or in order. 

Am I the only one happy that Gase was honest and said he’s going to call the plays and focus on offense while Williams will focus on defense. 

We’re not talking about giving the offense to Kacy. Williams in control of the defense makes a happy. 

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Seconded. 

Basically, eliminate the useless flesh-bags that compose middle management. There are the people that present the PPT deck, the people that create the PPT deck, and then there's middle-managers... the dooshers whose job it is to tell you someone else needs a deck and what's supposed to be in it, but never seem to have anything right, or in order. 

Gase said this in less words during his interview with Michael Kay. It’s nice when Jets fans and the HC agree on something.

7 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Gregg Williams was DC when the Rams drafted Aaron Donald, and he just recently campaigned for Denzel  Ward at #4 who made the first team probowl as a rookie...so an argument can be made that he understands the value of both positions.  And both will be in play at #3 this year. 

If Williams wants a player, I’m all for it. If it’s Macc’s call, fckn NO.  Best bet is to trade back unless by some divine miracle Bosa is there at 3. Our roster is so pathetic we need to stockpile picks and draft smarter, much smarter. Hopefully Gase and Williams will have CJ’s ear when FA and the draft begins. Macc, go get the donuts ? and coffee ️.

3 hours ago, BigO said:

If Williams wants a player, I’m all for it. If it’s Macc’s call, fckn NO.  Best bet is to trade back unless by some divine miracle Bosa is there at 3. Our roster is so pathetic we need to stockpile picks and draft smarter, much smarter. Hopefully Gase and Williams will have CJ’s ear when FA and the draft begins. Macc, go get the donuts ? and coffee ️.

I think with Gaseand Williams, I can see Macc's role diminish over the next couple of years. Especially if we start to get this team relivent again.

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Seconded. 

The Pats have the deepest staff in the NFL. Between BB, Adams, McDaniels, Scarnechia they have four HOF caliber minds making every decision. That doesn’t include the dozens of other top assistants that the Pats have.

The best coaching we’ve ever had was in 1998- checkout that lineup...

27 minutes ago, nico002 said:

The Pats have the deepest staff in the NFL. Between BB, Adams, McDaniels, Scarnechia they have four HOF caliber minds making every decision. That doesn’t include the dozens of other top assistants that the Pats have.

The best coaching we’ve ever had was in 1998- checkout that lineup...

Management teams can be loaded with talent, and fail because of chemistry. Conversely chemistry can often elevate an average group of leaders.

I think the point is, too many leaders = too many places where chemistry can break down.

The Pats top guys are what they are, because BB keeps a small circle. Depth and size of staff are two different things. Depth implies conpetence. Size is just bodies.

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Seconded. 

Plus in Pats case less people to rat them out. I wonder if the staff got smaller after Mangini ratted on him? 

12 hours ago, Ghost said:

Am I the only one happy that Gase was honest and said he’s going to call the plays and focus on offense while Williams will focus on defense. 

We’re not talking about giving the offense to Kacy. Williams in control of the defense makes a happy. 

Many head coaches call the plays. The teams still have an OC. 

My understanding is at a really, really broad and general level:

3-4 = focus on power and strength

4-3 = focus on speed and athletic ability. 

On the surface the 4-3 really sounds good to me... The game is speeding up every year it feels. 

18 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

luv u Sonny, but no.... first mistake is using an outlier like BB as any kind of measurement. Secondly, I hear you about Chefs, but it's all about "aspirations"... Williams is chasing HC opportunities. He had his crack at the cat and it wasn't pretty. He's smart enough to know he's a DC and that's his ceiling IMO... albeit probably wants/asks for more space/autonomy that most. Which is fine, Adam's all about that. 

21 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Let me ask you a question. I watched a lot of Browns football this year (its a Mayfield thing, lol). It seemed to me that  Greg Williams defense was based on pressure from the inside (Myles Garret) and put a lot of emphasis on good corner play. They gave up a lot of yards, yet locked down near the red zone. Assuming he wants to do something similar here, does that put players like Greedy Williams and Quinnan Williams more in the Jets sights come the draft? I'm thinking QW especially, because Cleveland needed one more inside guy to pair with Garrett, and we have Leo already here. What do you think?

Yea, as a son of an old school browns fan, I've had to survive watching the Delhomme, garcia, holcombe, anderson, Fry, Quinn and other eras of ineptitude. But now with Mayfield, pops is on fire... 

I don't know Gregg's scheme intimatelywell, but he's always been a Dline first kind of guy IMO - probably why he usually favors a 3 technique, or 4 man front. More horse power at the LOS... naturally in that instance you're going run lean on your secondary so, they ideally better be good cover guys. Didn't he run a zone in STL? I think unless youre a true tampa-2 type or cover-2/3 subscriber, than in todays' pass rush defenses, they favor man-coverage... 

I think guys like Gregg tailor cover schemes to talent. 

6 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Defense and ST will be very strong next year.  If Gase can do anything with the offense we might be able to turn this around.  Mac is the weak link.

While I'm good with the Williams hire, I think people are getting very far ahead of themselves with expecting big things out of it right away.  If the rumors are true and he does intend on switching them to a 4-3, that means the Jets still need 2 DEs, a NT, a LB, and at least 1 CB... and that's just to cover the starters.  Unless they nail a ton of FAs and draft picks (and it's Maccagnan, so that's highly unlikely), this is not likely to be a quick turnaround for the D, especially if a scheme change is coming.

Archived