PFF shows Deontay Burnett some love

maury77

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-players-wed-like-to-see-more-of-in-2019

WR DEONTAY BURNETT, NEW YORK JETS

The rookie pass-catcher made the most of the limited opportunities he received in his first season with the Jets. On just 85 receiving routes run, he picked up 143 yards on ten receptions – a respectable average of 1.68 yards per route run. Among the 26 rookie wide receivers with at least 100 offensive snaps this season, his overall grade of 74.0 ranked first. With that performance, it appears that Burnett has earned himself more opportunities heading into 2019.

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

So glad we ended up with him. The moment we draftes Darnold I wanted the Jets to also pick him up. Luckily the Titans didnt hold on to him

Agree. I loved Burnett coming out of college. I think we all got to see a good bit of him since we were zoned in on Darnold in 2017-18. When Robby Anderson lit up the preseason in 2016, I knew he was a player. It was just a feeling. Same sort of feels here with Burnett. If a guy is good..most of the time he’s going to show you something with the limited time he’s out there. Players make things happen no matter what. That’s something both Robby and Burnett did. 

Idc bout size, speed, blah, blah. He can get separation at the NFL level and he’s got such natural hands. That’s what matters.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agree. I loved Burnett coming out of college. I think we all got to see a good bit of him since we were zoned in on Darnold in 2017-18. When Robby Anderson lit up the preseason in 2016, I knew he was a player. It was just a feeling. Same sort of feels here with Burnett. If a guy is good..most of the time he’s going to show you something with the limited time he’s out there. Players make things happen no matter what. That’s something both Robby and Burnett did. 

Idc bout size, speed, blah, blah. He can get separation at the NFL level and he’s got such natural hands. That’s what matters.

He has his role on an NFL team, but he has a big advantage with the Jets because Sam and Tay have that bond of familiarity and trust.  

Glad Tay chose the Jets instead of the Titans offer to re-sign with them.  He wanted the chance to play with Sam.

2 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

He has his role on an NFL team, but he has a big advantage with the Jets because Sam and Tay have that bond of familiarity and trust.  

Glad Tay chose the Jets instead of the Titans offer to re-sign with them.  He wanted the chance to play with Sam.

People act like the chesmitry they have is some sort of myth but I’ve seen the benefits of it with my own eyes. The way he fits the ball into such tight windows to him is something else. It’s partially trust but a lot of it is just being so familiar with Tay’s catch radius. He put the ball over his head in the Packers game. Perfectly placed to a 6’0 Slot WR. That play was all chemistry.

Lots of love for Burnett, and I wholeheartedly agree with that. Really like his game, and think he can be a long-term contributor.

The guy just knows how to play receiver, run routes, get open, make big catches, and score TDs.

After major disappointment with Stewart and Hansen, it looks like the Jets got lucky and stole one with Burnett.

11 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I have a feeling that the Jets will "Danny Woodhead" Deontay Burnett and we'll spend the next 10 years watching Burnett catch touchdowns from Tom Brady.

Not going to happen here.  If they let Darnold sit in on the HC interviews, they sure ain't sending his lil buddy down the road.

He came to USC as a 3* WR commuted to Washington State till NLI morning when USC offered a Blue Shirt, he took it.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/135854/from-blueshirt-to-rose-bowl-star-usc-wr-deontay-burnett-has-a-bright-future

How Deontay Burnett went from Wazzu commit to USC's Rose Bowl hero

play

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • bonagura_kyle.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

When USC receiver Deontay Burnett finally got back to the locker room after the Trojans' thrilling 52-49 win against Penn State in the Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual, there were more than 200 text messages waiting for him on his phone.

Over the previous four hours or so, the sophomore went from promising talent to breakout star -- and it probably felt like everyone he knew wanted to congratulate him. Burnett finished with 13 catches for 164 yards and three touchdowns, including the game-tying score on a 27-yard pass from Sam Darnold with under two minutes left.

"It's a night that I will not forget," he said.

It's also a night that almost didn't happen.

Deontay Burnett hauls in the game-tying touchdown with 1:20 to play in the Rose Bowl. Burnett had 13 catches for 164 yards and three touchdowns during the game. Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images

When Burnett woke up on National Signing Day in 2015, he expected to fax his letter of intent to Washington State. He had been committed to the Cougars for several months, but one phone call changed that.

The caller ID showed Tee Martin. The USC receivers coach had been recruiting him all year, but the Trojans didn't have a scholarship available for him. Still, Burnett had an idea of what Martin might be calling about, and his suspicion proved to be true: Martin offered Burnett the opportunity to blueshirt at USC.

What that means is that he was offered a scholarship, but it wouldn't kick in until the fall semester began and would not count against the Trojans' allotment in 2015. Burnett did not hesitate to accept. The Compton native, who played at nearby Serra High, was all for it.

"USC is a dream school of mine and I felt it was a great opportunity for me to go there," Burnett said. "I wasn't surprised, but I was really excited about it."

Burnett quickly proved to be one of the more promising young talents on the team. Despite his unconventional route to joining the program, Burnett played as a true freshman. He caught just 10 passes for 161 yards without a touchdown, but the staff liked what it saw.

"One of those all-around program guys. Great kid. Doesn't say a lot," quarterbacks coach and pass-game coordinator Tyson Helton said. "Works his tail off. He doesn't get caught up in the hoopla. He just does his job. It's great to see a guy like that come into his own and become a really big-time player.

"Those are the kind of guys you want to coach. Tee and I joke all the time about if we could go get more of those guys, we would be unstoppable."

Burnett got off to a good start this season, but it wasn't until Steven Mitchell was lost for the year with a torn ACL in October that he moved into a starting role. He has made a catch in every game since, but the Rose Bowl was his true coming out party. His previous single-game high for catches was seven (twice) and he had not previously cracked 100 yards receiving.

On his game-tying touchdown reception, Burnett had to do some improvising. The play design called for him to run across the field, but because a Penn State linebacker dropped into zone coverage, it disrupted the timing of the play. Instead, he turned it into more of a post and found an opening between three defenders in the end zone. Darnold recognized the same thing and dropped in a perfect pass to tie the game.

"That just shows how great of a quarterback he is," Burnett said. "How he anticipates his receivers and makes plays."

With Darreus Rogers out of eligibility and JuJu Smith-Schuster likely to depart early for the NFL draft, Burnett is positioned to be the Trojans' top receiver next year on what will likely be a preseason top-5 team.

"Next year is going to be exciting," he said. "I can't wait to get back to work. Knowing we have players like Sam Darnold, [running back] Ronald Jones, [safety] Marvel Tell. It's a bright future."

this is the whole point about guys that test well at the combine and those that have game day speed and moves.  a lot of players get passed over for whatever reason but then they show a lot when they finally do get a chance.  nice the jets finally found another "diamond in the rough".  he could be a really nice slot guy and a nice changeup from anderson.

it is my belief that young guys have to show something good early in their careers.  He had a great ex game for tennesse and looked really good for us when he got a chance.  He is still really young.

Run disciplined routes and catch the ball and you can make it in this league.

2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Glad Tay chose the Jets instead of the Titans offer to re-sign with them.  He wanted the cha

nce to play with Sam.

Tough choice......play with Darnold or Mariotta? Hmmmnnn   give me a minute.?

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Size and speed are not tools? Don’t matter? LOL

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

it is my belief that young guys have to show something good early in their careers.  He had a great ex game for tennesse and looked really good for us when he got a chance.  He is still really young.

Run disciplined routes and catch the ball and you can make it in this league.

A friend of mine who played pro ball said if you can play they will find you and you'll get a chance. 

12 hours ago, NYDreamer said:
I hope we have signed him to an extension. Love this guy on our team

I think he's an RFA so we have a better degree of control over resigning him. Plus, I don't think we'd need to twist his arm too much to have him stay.

EDIT - just checked Sarge4Tide's post, states he's an Exclusive Rights Free Agent

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I said that? No, I didn’t say that. I said IDC ABOUT SIZE AND SPEED as it pertains to Deontay Burnett and his ability to play. 

If you want to split hairs, sure. I think you struggle communicating and often don’t take accountability for phrasing that misrepresents your intended thoughts. Also that you’re like 14 years old forever.

38 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If you want to split hairs, sure. I think you struggle communicating and often don’t take accountability for phrasing that misrepresents your intended thoughts. Also that you’re like 14 years old forever.

Thanks, I’ll keep note of that for me and my literature teacher to go over next time I see him. Since, you know, I’m like 14 years old forever or whatever odd ball sh*t you said.

7460483D-956F-467A-A85A-BAD80AB20E95.gif

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Thanks, I’ll keep note of that for me and my literature teacher to go over next time I see him. Since, you know, I’m like 14 years old forever or whatever odd ball sh*t you said.

7460483D-956F-467A-A85A-BAD80AB20E95.gif

you’re so sensitive, lol

8 hours ago, jamesr said:

I think he's an RFA so we have a better degree of control over resigning him. Plus, I don't think we'd need to twist his arm too much to have him stay. emoji41.png

EDIT - just checked Sarge4Tide's post, states he's an Exclusive Rights Free Agent

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Exclusive rights...that's a great thing.  We can give him the minimum for 1 year and resign mid-season if he is doing well.

I'd hate to have to negotiate with this kid now, I'm not sure we could match what he was making at USC. ???

Archived