Metcalf Impresses Jets With Lights out Combine Performance

JetNation

12 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

7.38.3 cone is....troubling

Yes it is. 

I still love him as a prospect, but I just don't know why some people think he is infinitely better than a few of the other really talented WRs in this class. Guys like Brown/Harry/Whiteside/Harmon/Campbell all have excellent traits. None were drastically better or worse than Metcalf when I watched them play in college. 

Granted, if I had to draft 1, I am probably taking Metcalf as my 1st, but it's really close and if that 3 cone result is true it's going to complicate matters. 

Edit to add, Quinnen just ran a 4.89 40 which is about as dramatic as Metcalf running a 4.33 in my mind. And I bet Quinnen's 3 cone will be equally impressive. That is why a guy like Quinnen is a better prospect than Metcalf. He has an equally high ceiling but comes with a MUCH higher floor.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no the three cone !!! 

Are you guys ******* serious ?

This kid is going to be very tough to stop in just about every single facet of the game and he has every single measurable a Number 1 WR should have. 

If he's injury prone that's a problem and that's probably the only problem. I have  not looked up his injury status in college so I can't comment but this kid is a beast and I see no fear catching the football at all. One thing (and this can be taught) he seems to catch with his body a lot that will have to be worked on and is anything keeps him out of a top ten pick that would be it. Hios endzone presence would be substantial and add that to what herndon flashed his rookie year and we could be quite formidable in the red zone and that's what wins games. Add Bell to that mix and you instantly have a very explosive offense. Imagine Metcalf out there one on one with a CB on a WR screen 

A lot of these guys with really low body fat tend to spend significant time sidelined with injuries. I don't know what his injuries were in college but you see a lot of soft tissue injuries.

ps. For the love of god can you please stop weirdly stretching the images to ridiculous ratios when posting these articles? Just leave out the height and width attributes and use the original size. It looks normal and is responsive if you do.

12 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Oh no the three cone !!! 

This kid is going to be very tough to stop in just about every single facet of the game and he has every single measurable a Number 1 WR should have. 

If he's injury prone that's a problem and that's probably the only problem. I have  not looked up his injury status in college so I can't comment but this kid is a beast and I see no fear catching the football at all. One thing (and this can be taught) he seems to catch with his body a lot that will have to be worked on and is anything keeps him out of a top ten pick that would be it. Hios endzone presence would be substantial and add that to what herndon flashed his rookie year and we could be quite formidable in the red zone and that's what wins games. Add Bell to that mix and you instantly have a very explosive offense. Imagine Metcalf out there one on one with a CB on a WR screen 

So...limited Route tree, questionable agility (relatively speaking...), elevated risk of multiple soft tissue injuries (especially as he ages).  Yeah, he's a workout warrior and he has sick talent. He could be Julio Jones. He could also be yet another WR bust. I definitely am intrigued by the talent. But that risk? Yeah, I'm not interested in gambling a #3 pick overall finding out what happens with this kid.

24 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yes it is. 

I still love him as a prospect, but I just don't know why some people think he is infinitely better than a few of the other really talented WRs in this class. Guys like Brown/Harry/Whiteside/Harmon/Campbell all have excellent traits. None were drastically better or worse than Metcalf when I watched them play in college. 

Granted, if I had to draft 1, I am probably taking Metcalf as my 1st, but it's really close and if that 3 cone result is true it's going to complicate matters. 

Edit to add, Quinnen just ran a 4.89 40 which is about as dramatic as Metcalf running a 4.33 in my mind. And I bet Quinnen's 3 cone will be equally impressive. That is why a guy like Quinnen is a better prospect than Metcalf. He has an equally high ceiling but comes with a MUCH higher floor.

Quinnen is probably just all combine numbers. Another Dewayne Robertson. Apparently if you have freakish combine numbers you can't actually play.

And people complaining about a 6'4" 225 lb vertical WR's 3 cone time are so ignorant. He's a speed ball monster not Julian Edelman. You're going to put him on the outside and run verticals, posts, 10 yard ins/outs. You're not using him to run 3 yard option routes.

A lot of these guys with really low body fat tend to spend significant time sidelined with injuries. I don't know what his injuries were in college but you see a lot of soft tissue injuries.
ps. For the love of god can you please stop weirdly stretching the images to ridiculous ratios when posting these articles? Just leave out the height and width attributes and use the original size. It looks normal and is responsive if you do.

He broke his foot after 2 receptions for touchdowns his freshman year and then had a neck injury which sounds similar to Enunwa last year. No soft tissue involved so could be bad luck.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Oh no the three cone !!! 

In the NFL you can't create separation with speed alone..

No one is saying he isn't a great prospect, the question is where he should get drafted. This is a very deep wr class. No need to take a look 3rd when he isn't quicker than JJ watt.

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Quinnen is probably just all combine numbers. Another Dewayne Robertson. Apparently if you have freakish combine numbers you can't actually play.

And people complaining about a 6'4" 225 lb vertical WR's 3 cone time are so ignorant. He's a speed ball monster not Julian Edelman. You're going to put him on the outside and run verticals, posts, 10 yard ins/outs. You're not using him to run 3 yard option routes.

You don't watch college football.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No one is saying he isn't a great prospect, the question is where he should get drafted. This is a very deep wr class. No need to take a look 3rd when he isn't quicker than JJ watt.

Plus, That is Robby' role being described there. Given that Q is best used in the slot, and Robby is your X, are we really advocating DK as a flanker? As you say, JoJo...we can't just tell everyone to run fly routes. 

I'm an Ole Miss fan and have no issues with his hands.   This biggest knocks on him are injury concerns, his agility, and his knowledge of the position.   Not many people know this about the offense he was under unless you followed the team.  There were no route concepts the past two years under Phil Longo (The OC).   Seriously, the guy had a play called "get open".   His offense would dominate any bad defense, but any decent defense would shut down his offense because it was so basic.  Get Ready Tar Heal fans.   

https://www.oxfordeagle.com/2018/12/12/phil-longos-departure-a-blessing-in-disguise-for-ole-miss/ 

I say that to say any WR from Ole Miss is going to have to learn route concepts all over again.  So it will take time.   The good news for DK is he really is a hard working player and good guy off the field.  So he will put in the time to learn.

I would not take him at #3 overall.   Late first or second round.   I also think AJ Brown will be slightly better than him.

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

a81aaace-3595-45a0-a760-7a2146ddfeb7-com

The NFL world was watching the scouting combine yesterday and jaws were left agape when the final numbers came in on Ole Miss wide receiver DK Metcalf, who put on one of the more memorable performances in combine history with his rare blend of size and speed.

Checking in at 6′ 3” 228 lbs with a body fat percentage that’s virtually impossible at 1.6%, Metcalf registered a 40.5” vertical with the cherry on top being an incredible 4.33 40 time.  The effort was so impressive that the Jets tipped their cap to Metcalf through the team’s official twitter account, as seen below.

4.33? At that size?

We see you, @dkmetcalf14 ??? pic.twitter.com/Esfc38n1tM

— New York Jets (@nyjets) March 2, 2019

Almost immediately after his performance, twitter was abuzz with Jets fans insisting Metcalf had to be the team’s choice with the third pick.  An odd proclamation given the fact that virtually nobody had made such claims until watching Metcalf run fast in a straight line.

There’s a good chance Metcalf has pushed himself in to the top five of the draft, but it’s a dangerous endeavour when a team starts taking players based on combine numbers in place of college production. 

Having battled injuries during his time at Ole’ Miss, Metcalf played just 21 games in 3 seasons and was a regular for only his final two seasons.  Over those two seasons, Metcalf had 65 receptions for 1,215 yards and 12 touchdowns.  He did however show his big play ability in averaging 21.9 yards per catch in his final collegiate season.

The post Metacalf Impresses Jets With Lights out Combine Performance appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

4fBylqyp2VQ

Click here to read the full story...

Am I the only one who feels like JetNation is always late to the party with threads like this? Yesterday we had at least 5or 6 Metcalf threads running at the same time, yet here they come this morning with "breaking news"....

Its not only with Metcalf. I've noticed the same thing with their articles about other prospects and topics. I don't know why they need to "put their stamp" on these subjects that have already been discussed ad nauseum. Either get to the party early, or just blend in. It seems we have more then enough posters on this board who can handle breaking news faster and in most cases easily as well.

Nobody reads the paper that has Friday headlines on Monday and reading this article I feel like I'm reading the Sunday paper.

Just meant as some constructive criticism. I hope that's how its taken.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Am I the only one who feels like JetNation is always late to the party with threads like this? Yesterday we had at least 5or 6 Metcalf threads running at the same time, yet here they come this morning with "breaking news"....

Its not only with Metcalf. I've noticed the same thing with their articles about other prospects and topics. I don't know why they need to "put their stamp" on these subjects that have already been discussed ad nauseum. Either get to the party early, or just blend in. It seems we have more then enough posters on this board who can handle breaking news faster and in most cases easily as well.

Nobody reads the paper that has Friday headlines on Monday. 

That's  "old" news already. 

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

Almost immediately after his performance, twitter was abuzz with Jets fans insisting Metcalf had to be the team’s choice with the third pick. 

Jet fans are stupid. Always go overboard for the day's "shiny new toy".  Surprised  we didn't draft "Tickle me Elmo", back in the day.  As for the team's tweet.  Yawn....  Who was it?  Probably someone in the PR department.  Means nothing.  I would expect all "suitors" to do the same exact thing.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Ideal scenario is that Murray goes first, then either someone trades up for Haskins leaving Bosa for the jets or Bosa goes 2nd and teams vie to trade with jets to get Haskins before the raiders pick.  I also wouldn’t rule out the raiders swapping picks with the 49ers to ensure they get a qb they want if they move on from Carr.  I do think there is a legit chance that Bosa falls to the jets and that’s before you consider that maybe quinnen williams may kill the combine and pre draft process.

About as likely as the Jets and jints swapping picks, IMHO. 

I like the scenario where Murray goes #1, though. That ensures one of the top pass rushers to the Jets if they can't trade down, and makes their pick more valuable to trade if Oakland is seen as wanting a QB at #4. 

24 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Nobody reads the paper that has Friday headlines on Monday and reading this article I feel like I'm reading the Sunday paper.

Just meant as some constructive criticism. I hope that's how its taken.

These types of posts appear as articles on other social media platforms to help promote the site. While it's "old news" for people who log in here every day, it is often new news to Jets fans who aren't quite as plugged in. It's posted here as a direct link to the board to get people reading here. 

21 minutes ago, slats said:

I like the scenario where Murray goes #1, though. That ensures one of the top pass rushers to the Jets if they can't trade down, and makes their pick more valuable to trade if Oakland is seen as wanting a QB at #4. 

I like it too b/c i think Haskins is going to rise throughout the draft process and be in play in the top 3.  Besides the giants and jags you could have Denver or even cincy wanting to trade up.  

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I like it too b/c i think Haskins is going to rise throughout the draft process and be in play in the top 3.  Besides the giants and jags you could have Denver or even cincy wanting to trade up.  

Again, the jints wouldn't trade with the Jets, so they'd have to target the 49ers' pick. In that case, the Jets land Bosa or trade down with someone who wants Bosa. 

The hype surrounding a 5'10" QB is amazing to me. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Again, the jints wouldn't trade with the Jets, so they'd have to target the 49ers' pick. In that case, the Jets land Bosa or trade down with someone who wants Bosa. 

If the giants do that, fantastic, we get Bosa.  I don’t see the giants trading up though.  I think if foles goes to Jax, and Rosen goes somewhere like Washington, the giants will sit tight and hope the raiders don’t take haskins.  At this point worse case for the jets is, they’re deciding between q williams or j williams or allen.  Assuming they sign and edge rusher in FA i see them going OL this year.  With no 2nd rounder if they go defense in at 3 they won’t be addressing offense until the 3rd round and that’s negligence again.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Why are you so convinced the Giants wont trade with the Jets?

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Why are you so convinced the Giants wont trade with the Jets?

The Jets and Giants don't trade, especially a high profile trade involving two top ten picks. Both teams are far too concerned about being the "loser," in such a transaction, and having to read about it in the tabloids every day. Last year, when the Jets traded with the Colts, it was reported that the Jets never contacted the Giants, and offered additional compensation to the Colts in exchange for them keeping quiet about the Jets' interests. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Boom or bust type of pick. He could be a Top 5 NFR receiver or Devin Smith 2.0.

I dont get the body fat thing. As a youth I wound up in the hospital because of a body fat percentage that low. Even body builders are around 3% but then only for a few days. Lots of body processes get negatively affected by body fat that low.

I would pass on him, personally.

Agreed. Not a ton of "high lites" on his tape when you consider he was from his entire college career.

Something strongly tells me to pass on him too.

43 minutes ago, slats said:

Oakland's the wild card, IMO, in this draft. One minute they're praising Carr as "he's our guy", the next thing are rumors that they're shopping him.

I pray that we trade down a little and recoup some draft picks we lost last year.

1 hour ago, RVAJet815 said:

So...limited Route tree, questionable agility (relatively speaking...), elevated risk of multiple soft tissue injuries (especially as he ages).  Yeah, he's a workout warrior and he has sick talent. He could be Julio Jones. He could also be yet another WR bust. I definitely am intrigued by the talent. But that risk? Yeah, I'm not interested in gambling a #3 pick overall finding out what happens with this kid.

all of this could apply to anyone 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

he will go top 15 IMHO

Just now, Smashmouth said:

he will go top 15 IMHO

Agreed. But after his 40 time yesterday people were saying he would go top 3. That's a little crazy for any wr let alone a kid with injury history, less than spectacular production and weak 3 cone. 

None alone are terrible but the combo pretty much rules him out of a top 3 draft pick. He's more of a 7-15 range guy. 

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

all of this could apply to anyone 

Of course, but with so many holes, it's crucial to stick to high FLOOR players. DK could be a huge star, but he could also be a spectacular bust. We can't afford to swing and miss again on WR. I'd much rather grab a high floor WR that I know will contribute.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Oh no the three cone !!! 

So, the entire NFL combine events are created to study a variety of physical abilities; abilities which are meant to judge translation to NFL skills. 

BUT....

we should ignore it all?

Archived