Rumor: Pats trying to make a deal for Rosen

More Cowbell

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

As a Jet it would be if Kingsbury drafted Murray. Can't play 2 QB's at the same time.

What I’m saying is the reason he like Murray over Rosen is mobility .  There both good passers . But Rosen isn’t mobile at all.  So if Kliff was the jets HC I doubt he would Try and get rid of Sam for Murray . 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

The desperation from the Pasts is laughable.... Sam Darnold and #JetsNewUnis got this division feeling like new money! 

I would like to have a Lombardi, they have 6? in 20 years. Giants have 4, one in the new stadium. I feel nothing, wadr.

3 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

You either got it, want it, or don't.

That's why I said leadership style. He's a leader, his teammates have already said that. But as he gets older his "lead by example" style can morph into a more verbal take charge style. He's still very young.

3 hours ago, slats said:

Not sure what the point is here. During the draft process last year, he was regularly being touted as the most NFL-ready of the group. A year later, none of the teams looking for immediate starters are rumored to have interest, instead it's only teams that would sit him on the bench for (at least) the season. Seems to me that he's gone from NFL-ready to a project over the course of one year. 

I think attacking Rosen's personality/likability is easy, and lazy football writers know that people will click on character attacking articles repeatedly. My primary concerns with Rosen last year were his concussion history combined with a lack of mobility, and those concerns remain. 

None of these teams were interested in him last year in the top ten, this year they're (maybe?) trying to get him on the cheap. Not only draft pick-wise, but the Cards would be eating his signing bonus and the team trading for him would be paying a fraction of his contract's total value. The Cardinals complete lack of leverage aside, there doesn't appear to be enough market out there to drive up the price of a guy who was in the #1 overall conversation for a year or more. His personality is probably playing a role, but that's not the whole picture. 

I think the inference is the opposite: that three teams with all-time QBs think that Rosen’s issues are his emotional maturity but is a pretty high-level prospect otherwise that they think they can hand over their franchise to in the near future. His value is obviously low because the Cardinals are doing everything they can to ruin it. If the Jets decided to draft Quinnen Williams and trade Leonard Williams, they’d be lucky to get a fourth for Leonard Williams. Same situation here.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think the inference is the opposite: that three teams with all-time QBs think that Rosen’s issues are his emotional maturity but is a pretty high-level prospect otherwise that they think they can hand over their franchise to in the near future. His value is obviously low because the Cardinals are doing everything they can to ruin it. If the Jets decided to draft Quinnen Williams and trade Leonard Williams, they’d be lucky to get a fourth

DEAL NO TAKEBACKS

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the inference is the opposite: that three teams with all-time QBs think that Rosen’s issues are his emotional maturity but is a pretty high-level prospect otherwise that they think they can hand over their franchise to in the near future. His value is obviously low because the Cardinals are doing everything they can to ruin it. If the Jets decided to draft Quinnen Williams and trade Leonard Williams, they’d be lucky to get a fourth for Leonard Williams. Same situation here.

I remember when that was said about Sheldon...

22 minutes ago, slats said:

I think Murray going #1 is better for the Jets all around. It either drops a better defensive player to them if they're stuck in the pick and have to make a selection or there's one less QB on the board and someone gets scared before the Raiders pick and gives the Jets a favorable swap. 

I don't even know how much in love the Cards are. This whole thing continues to boggle my mind. They traded up last year for Rosen, gave him a $10M signing bonus, and now they're going to sell him at a loss to draft a guy who might be all of 5'10" #1 overall? 

If I'm running the Cards, my whole head coach search would've been centered on one question, "what's your plan to make Josh Rosen great?" It's just unreal to me that they might seriously be looking to cut bait after one season on a no talent team with crappy coaching. 

That's a great point and one of the reasons I was happy about how the Jets went through their coaching search. It was all about Sam. They had that focus from the word go.  There wouldn't have been any consideration of a HC hire wanting to use the #3 pick to take another QB who fits the new HC's scheme better.  It really is a terrible allocation of resources. Especially if they can't recoup a 1st for this or next year. 

The Kyler Murray idea does seem possible if you look at their offseason. The Cards search seemed significantly more frantic than most other teams looking for a HC this offseason. The initial spurned offering of full reign to McCarthy all the way to basically hiring KK while he was on the flight from NY to Arizona. It was reported that the Cards were going to offer him the job if he made it out of the interview with the Jets. He may have still been in the Jets building when it was first reported. 

That's why I believe it may be true. They don't have their heads on straight just yet. No real focus on a direction. The GM who is on as shaky footing as possible and all that too. Plus a little too much drinkypoo going on over there. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that the teams you're talking about would be sitting NFL-ready Rosen on the bench for (at least) this year, while none of the teams that need a starter ASAP are rumored to be in the mix. There's more in play here than Rosen's emotional maturity, IMHO. It's not like even @Villain The Foe thinks Baker Mayfield has a reasonable level of emotional maturity, but he certainly looks like an NFL starter. 

I understand your analogy, but comparing DTs and QBs doesn't work. If needy teams saw Rosen as a viable starter right now, they'd be lining up to hand over their first round picks for the remainder of his contract: https://overthecap.com/player/josh-rosen/6895/  A quality QB creates a market despite the circumstances of the trade. 

Matt Miller wrote 

One AFC executive told me this week the Cardinals have received at least two offers for Rosen but want to "save face" and get as close to a first-round pick as possible. Said the exec:

They're hoping the closer to the draft we get some team is going to realize they will miss out on (Dwayne) Haskins or (Drew) Lock ... or just remember that Rosen is better than either of them ... and pony up a late first-rounder," the anonymous executive told Bleacher Report.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Bleacher Report is the tabloids of sports journalism with their anonymous sources. He'll get clicks from those that want the draft to fall that way, and when the Cardinals draft Nick Bosa or Quinnen William's number one overall the face saving excuse will be the Cardinals changed their minds.

I think Rosen is one of the best prospects i've seen in years.  Basically, I had him as the best qb in the draft last year that was downgraded to 2nd best of intangibles/injury concerns which slightly put Darnold ahead.  I wanted Darnold b/c of the attitude essentially.

But just looking at the tape and you see pretty incredible things for Rosen.  Even in his bad first year, I saw a lot of good things.  There were many things that weren't his fault (like having the worst Oline since the 2016 Seahawks) or having absolutely zero skill position players worth throwing too.  So yea, he got happy feet b/c he was scared for his life, and you could see that sheer terror was clouding his reads.  And that's not a great thing for a qb to have, but if you put a decent Oline around him and some players to throw too, I think you can make a decent qb.   He's not at the stage that he can Russel Wilson, Rogers or Brady a bad O into something that looks good.

I heard San Diego is also interested in Rosen. Our best outcome is Arizona’s GM power moves Kingsbury out of the way and takes Bosa #1, increasing out chances of someone trading up to #3.

Not happening. Both management and Kingsbury are all in on Murray. 100% Cardinals take Murray. Not ideal but they will keep Rosen use him for bait. Someone mid season is going to need a QB and they will get what they want for him if they don’t get a 1st rounder this year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

16 minutes ago, Hael said:

I think Rosen is one of the best prospects i've seen in years.  Basically, I had him as the best qb in the draft last year that was downgraded to 2nd best of intangibles/injury concerns which slightly put Darnold ahead.  I wanted Darnold b/c of the attitude essentially.

But just looking at the tape and you see pretty incredible things for Rosen.  Even in his bad first year, I saw a lot of good things.  There were many things that weren't his fault (like having the worst Oline since the 2016 Seahawks) or having absolutely zero skill position players worth throwing too.  So yea, he got happy feet b/c he was scared for his life, and you could see that sheer terror was clouding his reads.  And that's not a great thing for a qb to have, but if you put a decent Oline around him and some players to throw too, I think you can make a decent qb.   He's not at the stage that he can Russel Wilson, Rogers or Brady a bad O into something that looks good.

Thanks coach for the info, you qb guru

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Cardinals reportedly receive two trade offers for Josh Rosen, want to 'save face' in deal

Now, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller has added fuel to the fire, reporting Friday that the Cardinals have received two trade offers for Rosen to date. Per an anonymous AFC executive cited by Miller, 

Hacks spitballing off of another spitball. 

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Reportedly  offering a second round. Cards  are holding out for a first because they believe if Rosen was in the draft he would be a top 3 selection. 

THEN WHY THE HELL ARE THEY GETTING RID OF HIM!

His value is low bc he's a statue and the entire NFL is moving away from those types of QB's. And when I say statue it's not bc he's not fast it's bc he can't avoid the rush at all. That is an instinctive trait, not something that can be learned. I don't care how good your arm is if you can't avoid the rush and make off schedule plays in today's NFL you will really limit an offense. I think teams are looking at his tape and realizing the same thing.

1 hour ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Brady is playing for 4 more years. 

Rosen is going to spend his whole rookie contract on the bench?  I don't think so... 

I don’t know if Brady is going to last another 4 years

1 hour ago, Hael said:

I think it’s way too early to write off Rosen especially when Goff and Trubisky had bad rookie years and got better

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think it’s way too early to write off Rosen especially when Goff and Trubisky had bad rookie years and got better

Hypothetically speaking, if Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, and Jackson were in this years draft, Kyler Murray is a borderline 1st round pick. The only reason we are talking about him going #1 overall is because of the Kingsbury compliment before he got fired by Texas Tech.

1 hour ago, Hael said:

Thats the problem with Rosen "you could see that sheer terror was clouding his reads" - he cant scramble and he can't improvise and if he can't deal with a strong pass rush he is toast. He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will keep taking a pounding game after game. He will throw in the towel or come up with some kind of injury. He's gonna need more help than most QBs from his offensive coordinator and have Rosen friendly plays - a lot of quick passes and always an outlet receiver. Hence the Patriots are perfect for him sad to say.

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Matt Miller wrote 

One AFC executive told me this week the Cardinals have received at least two offers for Rosen but want to "save face" and get as close to a first-round pick as possible. Said the exec:

They're hoping the closer to the draft we get some team is going to realize they will miss out on (Dwayne) Haskins or (Drew) Lock ... or just remember that Rosen is better than either of them ... and pony up a late first-rounder," the anonymous executive told Bleacher Report.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Bleacher Report is the tabloids of sports journalism with their anonymous sources. He'll get clicks from those that want the draft to fall that way, and when the Cardinals draft Nick Bosa or Quinnen William's number one overall the face saving excuse will be the Cardinals changed their minds.

Simply don't know how Gettleman and the Jints can go into this season without Manning's heir. He hasn't been even average for a few years. Barkley if he has the time line of a high end back will have wasted 3 seasons without a playoff berth if you're going to burn this season and then next when they finally get a young QB and spend another year getting his feet wet. Cards are hoping somebody thinks like that very very soon. Think the poormouthing of Rosen is merely bargaining. Yeah, he's terrible, but we'll help you out and give you a mid 2.   On the other hand a guy who passes on a franchise QB for a great back in 2018 may really believe his own BS. Pretty clear off that decision and his myriad of odd ones about badmouthing analytics and his career in Carolina, Dave Gettleman is ALWAYS the smartest guy in the room if you ask Dave Gettleman. 

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fully agree about cutting bait early if you don't believe in the guy.  Of course they'd better be right or else the fans will be outraged (and for good reason).  But you have to be bold to win.  If you swing and miss on the first guy but the 2nd guy is a FQB then it's perfectly fine IMO.  It's very difficult to find a FQB.  Look how long it's taken the Jets (and while we're all very hopeful on Darnold, he's still unproven as of now).

Dude, there is no doubt, Darnold is the real deal

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I was listening to Darnold on The Kay Show yesterday and they were talking about his leadership style and it was cringeworthy. He’s very, very young and chill, so maybe it wears off as time goes by, but he said he basically subcontracts leadership. “If we’re, you know, having a bad practice and guys aren’t going hard, you know, I’ll ask a guy, ‘hey man, doesn’t it feel like guys aren’t really going hard?’ And, you know, he’ll agree and he’ll tell the other guys to, you know, step it up, so it gets around.” I was like, er ah what. 

That's  actually pretty smart getting a vet to do that.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

We got a second and wr for Sheldon Richardson.  I think Williams is a better,  cleaner player

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Hmmm I never heard that.
I think the trade had more to do with bill getting something for him rather than letting him walk for nothing.
I don’t think Brady cared.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/report-patriots-owner-kraft-forced-belichick-trade-garoppolo

Kraft sent him packing bc of his love for Brady. He loves Brady almost as much as he loves Asian whores.

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Hmmm I never heard that.
I think the trade had more to do with bill getting something for him rather than letting him walk for nothing.
I don’t think Brady cared.

No I also read it was Brady running to craft about getting Jimmy G traded. He had a hissy fit. Him and Bilichick has a run in and Brady Won.

Bill was gonna move on from Tom. Tom found out. Tom told Kraft.

Kraft got mad. Told Bill he had to keep Tom. So Bill realizes he'd better get something for Jimmy G but loves him so much he let's him pick his destination.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2017/12/21/16805690/49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-trade-patriots-second-round-pick-why

Plenty more sites carry this rumour also.

15 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Brady is playing for 4 more years. 

Rosen is going to spend his whole rookie contract on the bench?  I don't think so... 

BB doesnt see Rosen just as a QB, hes an asset.

What do you think the Pats would get in the lead up to the 2021 draft after having Rosen play great in 2 pre-seasons against backups, and having spent "2 years learning from Tom Brady".  Do you have any idea what the media narrative would be then, and how much "josh has matured learning in the pats system".

BB would get at minimum a first round pick, while having a capable backup for the team for 2 years on a cheap contract while also potentially having a QB of the future if Brady retires.  Thats smart business.

Archived