It's a fun and simple exercise.  First, we know who the Jets Picked in 2019:

ROUND PICK (OVR) PLAYER POS SCHOOL HT WT
1 3 (3) Quinnen Williams DL Alabama 6'3" 303
3 4 (68) Jachai Polite DL Florida 6'3" 258
3 29 (92) Chuma Edoga T USC 6'3" 308
4 19 (121) Trevon Wesco TE West Virginia 6'4" 274
5 19 (157) Blake Cashman LB Minnesota 6'1" 237
6 24 (196) Blessuan Austin CB Rutgers 6'1" 195

Knowing that, and knowing what players were available at those picks, YOU be the GM.  List the picks, and list who YOU would have taken at those picks as GM.

If you need a reference of who was taken where, here it is:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/rounds

If you agree down the line with Macc, great!  No harm in that at all, and feel free to say so. 

If you would have gone a different direction, great!  No harm in that either (we're fans after all and control nothing!).  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it's different than Macc.

What would you have done?  What direction would you have gone?  Who would you have picked?  This is your opportunity to say so, and to point to years from now to say "I was right on that guy!" or "wow, was I wrong on that guy!".

I'll do my own "What If..." list shortly and post it separately.

Note:  Keep in mind, this is supposed to fun.  This isn't intended to be a fight or a debate on who the best fans are, or the like.  So please, buttfumble in other threads, people shouldn't be buttfumbled for opinions or sharing them, GOOD or BAD, with Macc or different than Macc.  Keep it light, keep it fun, please :)

I would not have done the 4th rd trade down. Can we do these with the original slate of picks?  

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

This is a good thread a healthy concept i give my nemesis warshish props....

ok, if i could not do a solid trade down, truth be told , williams is solid at 3.

polite in the 3 is also solid. I cant argue with mac...

but in the other 3 pick, i would have taken michael jordan. After that auburn qb stidham all day every day. Now guess what dumb suckas! NE got Stidham and he will annoy us for the next 10 years. Not like brady, but he will annoy

Sadly I thought the exact same thing. In fact I had NE taking Stidham in my JN mock draft.

I'm assuming no additional trades and we pick wherever we picked after real life trades:

1.  Williams- He's the best player in the draft, IMO, and interior pressure is important.  I would love an edge like Bosa, but that didn't happen.  Short of trading down, this has to be the pick.  

3.  Chase Winovich - I like Polite pick, and I think he has more upside on tape than Winovich because his tape shows a better arsenal.  However, Winovich is someone I'm confident will at least be a good pass rusher.  He has great release and burst, and a relentless motor, without the worries of Polite.  Winovich, at least IMO, doesn't have the diverse moves though, but he also didn't fail the combine.   

3.  Hakeem Butler - I love Butler and he would have fit in perfectly on the team.  I like Edoga, but Butler provides much more value.  

4.  David Edwards - Pretty much the opposite of Edoga, good at run blocking, but horrible pass blocker.  Assuming he's a developmental prospect, I take the plunge here.  

5. Blake Cashman - I like the upside for where the pick is, I'm not going to change it too much.

6. Emanuel Hall -  This pick doesn't really fill a need and complete luxury pick.  However, I thought the value here was insane.  Q, Anderson, Crowder, Hall, Butler is a great core.  If we have to go away from WR, Jimmy Mooreland.  I like the physical profile better than Austin.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I'm assuming no additional trades and we pick wherever we picked after real life trades:

1.  Williams- He's the best player in the draft, IMO, and interior pressure is important.  I would love an edge like Bosa, but that didn't happen.  Short of trading down, this has to be the pick.  

3.  Chase Winovich - I like Polite pick, and I think he has more upside on tape than Winovich because his tape shows a better arsenal.  However, Winovich is someone I'm confident will at least be a good pass rusher.  He has great release and burst, and a relentless motor, without the worries of Polite.  Winovich, at least IMO, doesn't have the diverse moves though, but he also didn't fail the combine.   

3.  Hakeem Butler - I love Butler and he would have fit in perfectly on the team.  I like Edoga, but Butler provides much more value.  

4.  David Edwards - Pretty much the opposite of Edoga, good at run blocking, but horrible pass blocker.  Assuming he's a developmental prospect, I take the plunge here.  

5. Blake Cashman - I like the upside for where the pick is, I'm not going to change it too much.

6. Emanuel Hall -  This pick doesn't really fill a need and complete luxury pick.  However, I thought the value here was insane.  Q, Anderson, Crowder, Hall, Butler is a great core.  If we have to go away from WR, Jimmy Mooreland.  I like the physical profile better than Austin.  

I would have taken Butler too with the 2nd third. I love big strong receivers especially with young QBs. I can see the argument for winovic over polite. Our boom or bust never boom, but we usually go after guys with huge combines and so so stats, this time we went with good tape and bad combine so maybe it will work out. 

Drafting a TE at 1.3 or reaching for a tackle (like eric flowers) is a bad mistake. You don't risk a top 5 pick you have to ensure you get at least a starter. 

Like many i am disappointing in the lack of offensive picks, but this was not a great offensive year. Hopefully next year we load up on offensive talent. If we take a CB in rd1 i'm going to loose it.

5 minutes ago, funaz said:

I would have taken Butler too with the 2nd third. I love big strong receivers especially with young QBs. I can see the argument for winovic over polite. Our boom or bust never boom, but we usually go after guys with huge combines and so so stats, this time we went with good tape and bad combine so maybe it will work out. 

Drafting a TE at 1.3 or reaching for a tackle (like eric flowers) is a bad mistake. You don't risk a top 5 pick you have to ensure you get at least a starter. 

Like many i am disappointing in the lack of offensive picks, but this was not a great offensive year. Hopefully next year we load up on offensive talent. If we take a CB in rd1 i'm going to loose it.

I was yelling for Butler with the first pick in the third, but I could see why they HAD to go pass rusher.  However, the second one just breaks my heart because I thought he was perfect for the team with a young QB.  Someone that can be a safety blanket in the red zone.  

Yeah, I have no problem with the Williams pick, because that has to be a hit.  You need elite, elite talent there.  

I thought the receivers were deep this year.  Not the high high end talent, but a ton of guys that could really contribute.  Next year, have my eyes on Higgins/Jeudy/Ruggs/Lamb as first round targets.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nico002 said:

Hockenson at 3 is absolutely insane. This guy might be the most overrated prospect I’ve ever seen. His ceiling is Heath Miller. The comparison to Gronk is ridiculous- Gronk has 4 inches and 25 pounds on Hockenson. 

I honestly I’m not sure he would beat Herndon for the starting spot if he was on the Jets...

I didn’t do any research for this draft

but I watched a bunch of Iowa games this year and I had no idea who this guy was

now Fant was a different story

• Upvote 2

Biggest glaring thing for me is Winovich over Polite in the 3rd. I really think that is what is going to come around to piss in our cheerios a year or two down the line. 

I could argue that we will be pissed when Josh Allen turns out to be a Pass rush stud. But by that time Quinnen will have established himself as Leonard's replacement and lead the league in QB hurries, so we'll always have that. 

The guys later in the draft I admittedly do not know enough about to be able to criticize. Although I can say that just based on the positions drafted, I'm not too thrilled. 

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's a fun and simple exercise.  First, we know who the Jets Picked in 2019:

ROUND PICK (OVR) PLAYER POS SCHOOL HT WT
1 3 (3) Quinnen Williams DL Alabama 6'3" 303
3 4 (68) Jachai Polite DL Florida 6'3" 258
3 29 (92) Chuma Edoga T USC 6'3" 308
4 19 (121) Trevon Wesco TE West Virginia 6'4" 274
5 19 (157) Blake Cashman LB Minnesota 6'1" 237
6 24 (196) Blessuan Austin CB Rutgers 6'1" 195

Knowing that, and knowing what players were available at those picks, YOU be the GM.  List the picks, and list who YOU would have taken at those picks as GM.

1.3: Daniel Jones

Not sure about the rest though.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

This is exactly where I would have wanted them to go... 

1. Williams... No Brainer...  a Must at 3

2. I would keep Polite over Winovich but I think they are both going to be good

3. Hakeen Butler... Red Zone threat ... big bodied WR

4. Amani Oruwariye CB ... I like Wesco... I could accept him here too... 

5. Trayveon Williams RB

6. Kelvin Harmon WR

Just now, Skeptable said:

5. Trayveon Williams RB

6. Kelvin Harmon WR

there's no OL help here, and that includes wesco as a blocking Te.

• If you assume Quinnen was the pick because he will be that much better than Allen when the Jets run a 3/4, the next pick was Polite or WInovich and then Edoga or Cajuste-these are the three big tradeoffs that will determine how long Mac should have a job. 
  • Given who was on the board, the 4th round pick should have been Jordan, Samia, Powers, Martin-one of the interior OL.  That was where the value was here.  Blocking TEs can be found in FA or lower down
  • Kelvin Harmon was clearly the pick at 6 rather than the injured CB.  
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

Definitely Butler where he was down at the bottom of rd 3.  Passing on him actually depressed me for days.

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Definitely Butler where he was down at the bottom of rd 3.  Passing on him actually depressed me for days.

This is what happens when you ignore the OL/OT for so long.  Mac could not leave the 3rd round without a OL, preferably OT, and then tend to go by the third round.    So the Shepherd pick, a player that we really did not need, ended up costing us indirectly Butler.  

1 Jonah Williams OT, Bama

3 Michael Deiter G, Wisconsin (this one was an absolute no brainer!)

3 Bobby Evans OT Oklahoma 

4 Ben Powers G Oklahoma 

5 Lamont Galliard C Georgia (another no brainer at this spot!)

6 Isaiah Prince OT Ohio State

theres Darnold’s Offensive line for the next eight years. Real difficult, Mac!

and I will bet at least half these guys are starters in the NFL for +5 years, half the losers Mac drafted will be living in a van down by the river 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coquito said:

4 Ben Powers G Oklahoma 

and I will bet at least half these guys are starters in the NFL for +5 years, half the losers Mac drafted will be living in a van down by the river 

Other than Jonah Williams not at 1.3, I think there is alot to be said for this approach and what the Jets needed.  

3B  could have been Evans, Edoga or Cajuste.  

Galliard was worth the shot over Cashman.  

The issue with Mac's draft actually is that there is a chance that some of the defenders work out really well, but also a chance that they don't.

There were OL there to be picked that likey in 2020/21 would be better than the guys that we have under contract for them (i.e., barely anyone).  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Coquito said:

4 Ben Powers G Oklahoma 

Wow!  Just curious why you like Evans over Edoga?

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

That was depressing, because I watched a ton of tape on him for the article, and he seemed like a Brandon Marshall clone.  If he played at Clemson/Oklahoma, he's a first round pick IMO.  His QB played terrible at times.  He has drops issues and idk what he said in interviews and all, but just tape wise it hurt so much.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Skeptable said:

5. Trayveon Williams RB

6. Kelvin Harmon WR

I really thought about Oruwariye as well because I'm not 100% sold on Edwards.  However, I wanted someone young with some potential on the OL and see if the could develop him under the new coach.  On pure value, I like Amani better.  

I would have taken Harmon as well.  Instead of Wesco, I would take Harmon or Hall easily.  One of the things I like to do is look at those 2nd and 3rd tier QBs in a draft and see if there are receivers that I like, because sometimes they really elevate them.    

Paxton Lynch had Anthony Miller

Hackenberg had Godwin

Cody Kessler had JuJu

2015:

Garret Grayson has Rishard Higgins

Mannion had Cooks the year before, then play fell off

Petty had Coleman but attitude issues

14:

Manziel had Evans

Bridgewater had Parker

Carr had Davante Adams

Usually with those second tier guys, there is at least one good receiver on the team, who elevates the QB. 

This year, I thought Hall did it for Lock, because he was just such a big deep threat that it opened up the entire field.  And Harmon did so with Finley because he was just so good at getting open.  

I haven't thought about the full re-draft yet but let me pose a pretty straight forward question regarding only Day 3.  The Jets started Day 3 with 2 picks... Round 4 (3rd pick, 106) and Round 6 (4th pick, 198).  They traded back and around a bit to end up with 3 players....

1. TE - Trevon Wesco

2. ILB - Blake Cashman

3. CB - Blessuan Austin

Would you prefer those 3 selections or would you rather have had the Jets pick in their original spots of 106 and 198 players such as...

1. CB - Julian Love / WR Riley Ridley

2. C - Lamont Gaillard / WR Kelvin Harmon / RB Trayveon Williams 

I would rather have accepted a little less quantity in exchange for what I consider higher quality picks at positions of need on Day 3.  I would have been fine leaving the Draft with only 5 total players, especially if our final two were CB Julian Love and either Gaillard (expected to go in Round 4 or 5, Team Captain and 3 year starter at Georgia, slightly undersized, a little unrefined and sloppy technique) or Harmon (expected to go in Rounds 4 or 5 with an NFL comparison of Mohamed Sanu as solid player with only average speed.)

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Skeptable said:

5. Trayveon Williams RB

6. Kelvin Harmon WR

Hadn't seen this before I posted but those were two of my names as options in Round 6 had the Jets stayed put.

14 hours ago, win4ever said:

This.

14 hours ago, win4ever said:

Combine Shmombine.  Too much Combine. Combine  is not a game.  It is not war in the trenches. Game tape is what I like.  But I like your draft, am a little scared of Polite (but he makes me think of Jevon Kearse and drool a bit) and i like Winovich too

9 hours ago, jack48 said:

Combine Shmombine.  Too much Combine. Combine  is not a game.  It is not war in the trenches. Game tape is what I like.  But I like your draft, am a little scared of Polite (but he makes me think of Jevon Kearse and drool a bit) and i like Winovich too

I love the game tape of Polite, but I don't really see Kearse to be honest.  Part of it is because Kearse was ahead of his time for burst off the line, but he seemed much better even in college standing up.  I even went and looked at some of his plays because it's not the first time I've heard it.  One of the big issues with Polite is the false steps when standing up to rush the passer, whereas Kearse was explosive standing up as well.  3 point stance, both are a blur.  

I like the upside of Polite over Winovich, but there is certainly risk involved.  I thought Winovich was much safer bet to be good, with ceiling being just slightly below. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

I love the game tape of Polite, but I don't really see Kearse to be honest.  Part of it is because Kearse was ahead of his time for burst off the line, but he seemed much better even in college standing up.  I even went and looked at some of his plays because it's not the first time I've heard it.  One of the big issues with Polite is the false steps when standing up to rush the passer, whereas Kearse was explosive standing up as well.  3 point stance, both are a blur.  

I like the upside of Polite over Winovich, but there is certainly risk involved.  I thought Winovich was much safer bet to be good, with ceiling being just slightly below. 

Just the way Kearse used to blow by guys like they were standing still

On 4/28/2019 at 3:21 PM, Rolloffjet said:

This is a armchair gm game. You don’t know who will be available later this is hindsight. And if u do choose different that could change the way the draft went ie other teams choose different because you took there pick so the pick you want next round might not be there it’s the butterfly effect 

While true, it’s still fun. People debate hypotheticals as truth on this site all day, every day. At least this hypothetical comes with the caveat of us admitting it’s a game.

• Upvote 1

This is the time when I tend to be positive about all our players.  I can't pretend to know too much about out our later guys even though I have a list of UDFA that I love.  I would have gone with Oliver, but I am not going to argue with Williams, I assume they know something.

Polite is the kind of guy that I wouldn't touch up there, but if he works and that testing is not representative of his athleticism, he could be a steal.  This is one of those times where the fact that he ran a 5.02 is almost in his favor because if he just timed slightly poorly, you would just figure that he was a better athlete than college players, but wouldn't be good enough to beat guys in the NFL.  His horrible combine makes you think that maybe, deep down, he really is a great athlete.  He certainly looks faster on youtube.  I will say that for all the "He did it in the SEC" chatter, I saw a sh*tload of plays against Colorado State.  OTOH, I checked his gamelogs and he did it against everybody.

I am on record with most of the later round guys I like, but I won't quibble.  I will say that it is fairly well documented that small schools (Appalachian State), and injured players (Blessuan Austin) are where you find diamonds later in the draft.  Maccagnan seems to make a religion of it though.