Titans WR turns down Patsies because Tom Brady is old.

Clearly, this is a a case of age discrimination. The League should look into this.

Titans WR Adam Humphries: Tom Brady's age factored into decision not to sign with Patriots

Lorenzo Reyes

What I'm Hearing: USA TODAY Sports' Jarrett Bell is on hand for the NFL owners meeting in Florida and tells us what he's hearing regarding news surrounding the draft and combine. USA TODAY

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, by all accounts, is one of the best to ever play the game.

But one free agent receiver spurned the chance to play with the three-time NFL MVP and the perennially contending Patriots when making the decision on his next team, in large part because of Brady’s age. He will turn 42 years old before the start of the upcoming season.

“Obviously, he’s the G.O.A.T. That’s that simple,” slot receiver Adam Humphries, who instead signed with the Tennessee Titans, told The Athletic of Brady. “But there’s so much that factors into a decision. It was a four-year deal. Who knows how many (years) he’s got left? There’s a lot that goes into it.”

Brady has repeatedly stated he hopes to play until he is 45.

Humphries, 25, signed with the Titans on a four-year contract worth $36 million and $19 million guaranteed – even after New England made a late attempt to lure the receiver.

“… Obviously the chance to play with him would have been awesome, but a lot of things factor into that decision," Humphries said. "Ultimately, I thought this was coming here to a team that was on the rise and with young talent on the offense and a really good defense. They’d had a taste of the playoffs. I felt like my need at the slot position was great. I felt like I could really contribute and start something new here.”

The Titans are led by quarterback Marcus Mariota, 25, and are coming off of a 9-7 season. The Patriots, on the other hand, toppled the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl LIII.

New England, in fact, has won three of the past five Super Bowls. Brady and Patriots coach Bill Belichick each have six championship rings.

Mariota has one career playoff victory in four seasons.

Humphries is coming off a breakout campaign in which he caught 76 passes for 816 yards and five touchdowns for Tampa Bay.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, TaborJet said:

Clearly, this is a a case of age discrimination. The League should look into this.

Titans WR Adam Humphries: Tom Brady's age factored into decision not to sign with Patriots

Lorenzo Reyes

What I'm Hearing: USA TODAY Sports' Jarrett Bell is on hand for the NFL owners meeting in Florida and tells us what he's hearing regarding news surrounding the draft and combine. USA TODAY

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, by all accounts, is one of the best to ever play the game.

But one free agent receiver spurned the chance to play with the three-time NFL MVP and the perennially contending Patriots when making the decision on his next team, in large part because of Brady’s age. He will turn 42 years old before the start of the upcoming season.

“Obviously, he’s the G.O.A.T. That’s that simple,” slot receiver Adam Humphries, who instead signed with the Tennessee Titans, told The Athletic of Brady. “But there’s so much that factors into a decision. It was a four-year deal. Who knows how many (years) he’s got left? There’s a lot that goes into it.”

Humphries, 25, signed with the Titans on a four-year contract worth $36 million and $19 million guaranteed – even after New England made a late attempt to lure the receiver.

“… Obviously the chance to play with him would have been awesome, but a lot of things factor into that decision," Humphries said. "Ultimately, I thought this was coming here to a team that was on the rise and with young talent on the offense and a really good defense. They’d had a taste of the playoffs. I felt like my need at the slot position was great. I felt like I could really contribute and start something new here.”

The Titans are led by quarterback Marcus Mariota, 25, and are coming off of a 9-7 season. The Patriots, on the other hand, toppled the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl LIII.

New England, in fact, has won three of the past five Super Bowls. Brady and Patriots coach Bill Belichick each have six championship rings.

Humphries is coming off a breakout campaign in which he caught 76 passes for 816 yards and five touchdowns for Tampa Bay.

Even Adam Humphries thinks THE PIG IS RIPE.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

So he turns down NE and Brady(who's sure to play at least 2 more years, can't imagine this is his last), to go to the Titans and catch ducks thrown from Mariota? Bold move cotton let's see how it pans out, but if i was the Titans I would be looking to replace Mariota, and that was before the nerve damage in his elbow.

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It may have been that, plus throw in a little bit of feeling Beli/NE is more likely than TN to cut him after just one so-so season on this deal once the money's no longer guaranteed. He's certainly not going to admit that, if he even felt that way.

Taxes in Tenn. far less than Ma. Housing costs far less too!!!

46 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Headline from Near Future:

Authorities Investigating Disappearance of Titans Receiver Adam Humphries

Alternate Near Future Headline:

Authorities Investigating Appearance of Titans Receiver Adam Humphries in Wild Orchid Spa Video; Hand Fitting Humphries Description Seen Vigorously Probing Kraft's Brownie

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TaborJet said:

giphy-30.gif.1704ed2810185e274c836dfd314f898d.gif

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Taxes in Tenn. far less than Ma. Housing costs far less too!!!

Well TN doesn't have a state income tax on wages. But honestly while that's true his biggest concern is playing out the contract more than anything. 3 or 4 years even with a 10% state income tax > 2 years with a state tax of 0%.

I think he went to TN because he's more likely to play out the full 4 years there as the #2 to Corey Davis. He's a high catch rate guy not a feast-or-famine guy whose production drops off a cliff if/when he's a little banged up. 

The Brady thing makes little sense. For all he knows Mariota will get injured again in his 5th year option season, or is again meh under his 4th OC in 5 years, and Tennessee will be drafting a replacement QB in 2020 (i.e. they're starting a new guy before NE, with worse QB play between now and when that time comes). 

Thing is, though, Humphries seems just the type who'd become a favorite Brady WR target. No, not because he's white and under 6' tall lol, but because he's more of a quick-ish guy who gets open underneath and holds onto the ball. Even more so with Gronk retiring before turning 30 and Edelman was scheduled to be a UFA after the 2019 season (and will be turning 35 in what would be Humphries's first non-guaranteed season in 2021). But if he's injured during year 2, I could see BB dumping his $10MM salary after paying out $19MM where TN might keep him for another year or two. Maybe that's the calculation he made.

7 hours ago, TaborJet said:

Lorenzo Reyes

Best. Thread. Ever.

Bring back Tabor the moderator!

We keep saying it but this is the year we take down the old man. No Gronk, 34 year old Pedelman. How old is McCourty? The Patriots gashed us on the ground last year. Not happening with Q. + Leo+ Mosely + Adams. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well TN doesn't have a state income tax on wages. But honestly while that's true his biggest concern is playing out the contract more than anything. 3 or 4 years even with a 10% state income tax > 2 years with a state tax of 0%.

I think he went to TN because he's more likely to play out the full 4 years there as the #2 to Corey Davis. He's a high catch rate guy not a feast-or-famine guy whose production drops off a cliff if/when he's a little banged up. 

The Brady thing makes little sense. For all he knows Mariota will get injured again in his 5th year option season, or is again meh under his 4th OC in 5 years, and Tennessee will be drafting a replacement QB in 2020 (i.e. they're starting a new guy before NE, with worse QB play between now and when that time comes). 

Thing is, though, Humphries seems just the type who'd become a favorite Brady WR target. No, not because he's white and under 6' tall lol, but because he's more of a quick-ish guy who gets open underneath and holds onto the ball. Even more so with Gronk retiring before turning 30 and Edelman was scheduled to be a UFA after the 2019 season (and will be turning 35 in what would be Humphries's first non-guaranteed season in 2021). But if he's injured during year 2, I could see BB dumping his $10MM salary after paying out $19MM where TN might keep him for another year or two. Maybe that's the calculation he made.

Loyalty is not in Lil’ Bill’s vocab.... probably why he’s been so successful 

with age, it happens suddenly, not gradually.  Especially in a sport like football.  When Brady gets to the point it will not be a slow decline, it will be rapid.  No one knows whenthat will be with Brady. He has been amazing.  But it will be like falling off a cliff.  IMHO

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Nixhead said:

This is a bit of good news! Humphries would be real good on the Patsies. Him and Edlemoron would make things real tough on defenses. 

Agreed. Whatever the reason, I'm glad he's not up there. Although Nkeal Harry is gonna be a problem anyway. 

This guy was my number one WR target this offseason, but it seems like he's an idiot. Choosing not to play with Brady in an offense that traditionally makes guys like him into rock stars all because Brady is old is about as stupid as it gets. They won the Superbowl last year for God's sake. I'm happy we don't have this mo mo on our team. lol