Dak turns down 30 mil per (MERGED)

LockeJET

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

How's did Dak perform when some of his line was injured, without Zeke, that's how I look at these QBs & the answer is no better than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Even if they pay him 30 million Dallas Super Bowl dreams are dead if they don't win it this year. DEAD.

The only thing I will say about Dak is that he seems to be a really good leader/locker room guy. I feel like he definitely commands the huddle and the room.

The problem is that he’s like, what, the 18th best QB in the league? 30 mill per season for him feels insane. 

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The only thing I will say about Dak is that he seems to be a really good leader/locker room guy. I feel like he definitely commands the huddle and the room.

The problem is that he’s like, what, the 18th best QB in the league? 30 mill per season for him feels insane. 

and Dak loses some of that good guy image with this crazy demand - sad for fans who think they are close and now have to watch it burn down - if the trio signed reasonable deals, the team has a chance but Dak is third behind Zek and Amari in the talent stakes so play the season and let him test the market

Brady is a FA next year, Jerry would be better off waiting and offering him $40m to test that loyalty - would be fun to watch

Prescott is a good, servicable QB.He's also durable, playing 16 games every year for 3 seasons.  But he's never thrown for 4000 yards. Much as I hate the cap, he wouldn't be worth $15 million if there wasn't a cap.There must be something in the water in Dallas that they have guys pull this nonsense every year. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

If he hit the open market would any other team even sign him? Maybe cincy or Tennessee 

Coudn't happen to a worse franchise. This team is constantly thought of as a contender & they always fall on their azzes. I mean seriously, how long has it been since Troy Aikman? Sure, they have history but the Jets have had better success since last Super Bowl. I hope they do sign Dak to 40 million, hell with that oline & defense, they would be smarter to franchise him, then sign Brady to a 60 million dollar 2 year deal & try to win a Super Bowl.

They aint winning sh*t paying Dak even 30 million let alone signing him to some crazy azz long contract worth 128 million. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Coudn't happen to a worse franchise. This team is constantly thought of as a contender & they always fall on their azzes. I mean seriously, how long has it been since Troy Aikman? Sure, they have history but the Jets have had better success since last Super Bowl. I hope they do sign Dak to 40 million, hell with that oline & defense, they would be smarter to franchise him, then sign Brady to a 60 million dollar 2 year deal & try to win a Super Bowl.

They aint winning sh*t paying Dak even 30 million let alone signing him to some crazy azz long contract worth 128 million. 

Any deal they sign Dak to will affect us when Sam needs a new deal in a few years.

14 hours ago, NoBowles said:

This is really an under appreciated part of the madness which is professional sports salaries. Im a capitalist, and I believe in free markets, but the professional sports franchises and players are very short sighted. The price of tickets is pricing out average or lower income families, and when those kids of average or lower income families are older, they may not have the same passion for sports as those of us who got to go to plenty of live sporting events per year. I raise my family in a significantly larger and nicer lifestyle than I grew up in, yet, as a kid we went to a lot more sporting events per year than I am willing to spend for my kids. As a result, my kids are not nearly as passionate about pro sports as I was. They love to play, but they don't have the passion for the pro teams. The short term greed by the players and owners is going to really hurt the long term popularity of these sports IMO.

Agreed that ticket prices are a problem and long term engagement will drop.  However, do you think player salaries are the problem here?  The NFL brings in about 7B in revenue per year from media deals - they could play the games in front of no one and it wouldn't really make much of a difference in their ability to pay the players.

• Upvote 3

all the people who are upset about what this player is demanding should look at what the teams are making and what the salary cap actually is 

they can either pay Dak or start over their SB window (it will waste the best years of Zeke etc) 

Dak has the leverage or they can franchise him 

27 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Any deal they sign Dak to will affect us when Sam needs a new deal in a few years.

I can't wait to see this board when Sam Doesn't take the hometown discount like TB12 and actually demands what he's worth 

Matt Stafford got 100 mil as did Matt Ryan. These are going to be huge numbers and at least some part of the board will resent him for it 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I can't wait to see this board when Sam Doesn't take the hometown discount like TB12 and actually demands what he's worth 

Matt Stafford got 100 mil as did Matt Ryan. These are going to be huge numbers and at least some part of the board will resent him for it 

Hopefully he'll earn every penny just like Revis did.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Hopefully he'll earn every penny just like Revis did.

great way to build a program - draft a HOF'er and jerk him around. Try to pay him like Jon McGraw

the rest of the locker room loves that and other free agents don't notice it's a 2 bit organization /s

that Revis situation set this team back a decade because they treated the best player this team's had since Curtis Martin like a POS

there's no reason for ownership to not spend to the cap every year. NONE

it's called commitment to winning and the Jets have a reputation for not caring 

that's why we ended up with Adam Gase. Cause no one real wanted this gig. and they didn't want to pay anyone real

somewhere over the years Jets fans have interpreted endless cap space and annual major firings as good news 

cap space doesn't do anything for the fans - unless you are also woody's accountant 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Drums said:

First of all, Mac isn't a GM. Second, it wasn't more than 30 million. 

It was either $30M per or it was close to it.  The Vikings are paying Cousins $84M fully guaranteed over 3 seasons ($28M per) and we offered more than that.  

And in Dak's case, the deal won't be fully guaranteed.  It'll have incentives and such that can exceed $30M, but it won't be like Cousins' deal.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

great way to build a program - draft a HOF'er and jerk him around. Try to pay him like Jon McGraw

the rest of the locker room loves that and other free agents don't notice it's a 2 bit organization /s

that Revis situation set this team back a decade because they treated the best player this team's had since Curtis Martin like a POS

that's why we ended up with Adam Gase. Cause no one real wanted this gig. and they didn't want to pay anyone real

somewhere over the years Jets fans have interpreted endless cap space and annual major firings as good news 

cap space doesn't do anything for the fans - unless you are also woody's accountant 

Bit this post is about the cowboys and Dak not the Jets.  We can address sam and his outrageous demands in 2 years.  If he takes us to the playoffs twice and is a top 5 qb no one will say a word on what he wants.  If he is 20th ish and ehhh you will have the same discussion as Dak. 

As for the Jones Boys can you argue they have a commitment to winning.  They have paid a top 5 offensive line,  defensive line man, linebackers.  They went out and got a top flight WR.  Now you adequate QB wants the most money in the NFL.  You are willing to give 30 million that puts him in solid range and he sticks his nose up at it. so hypothetically if they wanted to trade zak straight up of another qb what team would bite. is he better than

Brady, wilson, wentz, goff, maholms, brees,.  taking his line and weapons into account is he even top 20 never mind top 10.   Hell Joe Flacco could win with Cowboys.  So it comes down to do you bay 120k for a pick up truck because the seller things he has you bay the balls and says it looks like a Mercedes, or play hardball a bit and hope everyone is reasonable.   I do not envy the boys as between the elliot, dak and cooper they cannot pay everyone what they want without some major cuts,  How happy will zeeke  and Dak be id 2 offensive linemen go and the end up on their asses 40 percent more then they do now.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Prescott is a good, servicable QB.He's also durable, playing 16 games every year for 3 seasons.  But he's never thrown for 4000 yards. Much as I hate the cap, he wouldn't be worth $15 million if there wasn't a cap.There must be something in the water in Dallas that they have guys pull this nonsense every year. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

JJ loves his boys.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Well, if he's getting paid like a Top 5 QB and he actually IS a Top 5 QB then the Jets should gladly pay it.  Too many people confuse price with value.  If we get what we pay for then there should be no complaining.

• Upvote 2

Its monies relative to the football / sports market. Not to regular human beings. Ridic...lol....thats lit is another..not drunk though but lit.Dak is worth 20..but JJ will pay him..btwn a rock and a hard place. It's an extra 5mill per to JJ that's like 5k to us.

Oh I get it. Believe me. I can recall almost choking when I heard the Canadian league was going to pay rocket Ishmael $4 mil per to gobthere over the NFL. That was near the last time their numbers surprised me. It is what it is.
My real point, as covert as it may have been, was to imply that dak sucks balls and will never be worth $40 mil. I wouldn’t want him and I think his career will be a short one laced by failure overall.
Just my opinion. I don’t really care all that much one way or the other other than to how it will affect the Jets future signing of Sam. If second tier guys like Prescott get $40 mil were in trouble.... hopefully. lol

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm always in favor of the players making as much money as they possibly can, but I'll also point it out when I think they're making a mistake. Like Bell, last year. He lost himself at least $14M that he'll never see again. 
In this case, it's MHO that Dak would not get $30M/year on the open market. I don't know how the Cowboys structured that deal (maybe it has little guaranteed, etc.), but I think he should sign that thing before Jones realizes what a mistake that offer is. 

This is actually very close to my actual point. I could care less if dak makes more or less overall. It’s just that he’s not worth that number. No one would court him at $40 mil IMo.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

What I find most irritating; no fan should care how much owners pay the player. Football is an entertainment business. IF you go see Billy Joel do you care what his split with MSG is? When you go see "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood", do you care what Brad Pitt or Leonardo DeCaprio get paid?This is no different. Tired of rich franchise owners acting like they're doing any of us all a favor with their nonsense salary caps.  No professional team in the 4 major North American sports leagues has gone out of business in 40+ years. If you cannot pay a players, don't. if you cannot make money in a market, move. If your arena or stadium sucks, build yourself a new one. Otherwise shut the F___ up about player salaries and caps. Nobody ever got a ring or a parade for salary cap management. And several teams that we know of, the Niners and Broncos, who did get rings and parades broke those rules . Heck the Pats are breaking them right now,

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

What I find most irritating; no fan should care how much owners pay the player. Football is an entertainment business. IF you go see Billy Joel do you care what his split with MSG is? When you go see "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood", do you care what Brad Pitt or Leanardo DeCaprio get paid?This is no different. Tired of rich franchise owners acting like they're doing any of us all a favor with ther nonsense salary caps.  No professional team in the 4 major Morth American sports leagues has gone out of business in 40+ years. If you cannot pay a players, don't. if you cannot make money in a market, move. If your arena or stadium sucks, build yourself a new one. Otherwise shut the F___ up about player salaries and caps. 

it matters in football b/c of the cap.  the more you pay revis and cro the less there is for other players.  we've seen dumb FA $$ here mess up their ability to throw the money at better, more impactful players.

5 hours ago, Bugg said:

What I find most irritating; no fan should care how much owners pay the player. Football is an entertainment business. IF you go see Billy Joel do you care what his split with MSG is? When you go see "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood", do you care what Brad Pitt or Leanardo DeCaprio get paid?This is no different. Tired of rich franchise owners acting like they're doing any of us all a favor with ther nonsense salary caps.  No professional team in the 4 major Morth American sports leagues has gone out of business in 40+ years. If you cannot pay a players, don't. if you cannot make money in a market, move. If your arena or stadium sucks, build yourself a new one. Otherwise shut the F___ up about player salaries and caps. 

The salary cap is its own argument.  The selling point is that it is supposedly designed to help with league-wide competitiveness, but I certainly wouldn't argue against the idea of that being mostly a line of BS from the owners to regulate their expenses.

Regardless, the salary cap is there and it's simply not going away.  So as long as that is the case, fans have every right to take issue with situations that are to the benefit of one individual person at the expense of the team as a whole.  Fans are far more emotionally invested in the teams than players ever will be.  Always have been, always will be.  There's nothing wrong with that, but it also means very different perspectives.

After all, if every movie with a big money actor in it was required to have every other role filled by acting school drop outs, that wouldn't go over so well either.  But since that doesn't happen, the comparison is rather meaningless.

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

Totally agree with the first bolded point. I hate when fans are like "cutting x player will save 5 million" -- so what? If the team is not going to do something with that money, who cares? Also it isn't our money.

Your second point doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Who did we miss out on? I must have missed that part of the offseason.