Two Kickers To Keep An Eye On

KRL

49 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Bears depth chart: Elliott Fry has kicking lead over Eddy Pineiro heading into second preseason game

Fry looks to be the front-runner for Pineiro for the Bears' kicking job

by Jeff Kerr

Aug 16, 2019 at 4:29 pm ET • 4 min read

Fry is the guy.  He should be here tomorrow.

Yeah
One, two, kickers kneel before you
That's what I said, now
Kickers, Kickers who adore you
Just go ahead, now
One has field goals in his pockets
That's some bread, now
This one, said he wants to kick you converts
Ain't in his head, now

This one, got a kickers racket
That's what I said, now
Got some big seal upon his helmet
Ain't in his head, now
You pick him, your head coach will condone you
How 'bout that, now
You cut me, your head coach will disown you
He'll eat his hat, now
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:
Yeah
One, two, kickers kneel before you
That's what I said, now
Kickers, Kickers who adore you
Just go ahead, now
One has field goals in his pockets
That's some bread, now
This one, said he wants to kick you converts
Ain't in his head, now

This one, got a kickers racket
That's what I said, now
Got some big seal upon his helmet
Ain't in his head, now
You pick him, your head coach will condone you
How 'bout that, now
You cut me, your head coach will disown you
He'll eat his hat, now

1993. Nice job.  Jets went 8-8 that year under bruce coslett.  Boomer was qb.

On 8/17/2019 at 11:05 AM, thshadow said:

Good point.  Also funny / sad that these teams that traded a 5 for a kicker already had a kicker that was like 10 times better than our kickers.

But I agree with some people's sentiment, that a kicker is not something you put a ton of (any) resources into.  You pick up someone at the end of August off the waiver wire, and you'll be fine...

A kicker puts points on the board.....or he doesn’t. A lot of games are won or lost by 3 points or less. I great kicker is crucial in the NFL today, IMHO. One missed FG or EP is a win or loss in close games. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2019 at 10:13 AM, Samtorobby47 said:

Why not just Matt Bryant? Seems like the easiest choice. 

Because if you're Matt Bryant, you are going to wait until the absolute last second to see if you can go to a contender and have a chance to win a Super Bowl before you retire.  Don't think we are in that category yet.

On 8/19/2019 at 8:27 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Just to put it out there, Jason Meyers is having a really good preseason for Seattle. 

We should have paid him. This situation we're in is stupid.

We needed all that extra cap room for... for... lost my train of thought.

On 8/19/2019 at 1:27 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Just to put it out there, Jason Meyers is having a really good preseason for Seattle. 

We should have paid him. This situation we're in is stupid.

We are in a lot of situations because of Mac.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

We needed all that extra camp room for... for... lost my train of thought.

No idea. It's not like kickers are quarterbacks. The thing is, it's not like I dont understand that the amount Meyer was requesting may have been a bit too rich in Macc's opinion. The problem comes in when you let a guy who has worked out well for you walk, knowing damn well how thin the market for kickers are. In situations like that, you use the money to keep from creating a hole in your special teams. Teams get more cap space every damn year. There is simply no excuse for this. Perfect example on why Macc had to go. We're 2 weeks away from week 1 and we dont have a kicker, yet 9 months ago we had an pro bowl kicker. Talk about knucklehead nonsense. 

3 hours ago, DJF71 said:

We are in a lot of situations because of Mac.  

Facts. This is Meyers latest game vs. the Vikings. We let this guy walk out the building over money and replaced him with legs that cant even convert extra points. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No idea. It's not like kickers are quarterbacks. The thing is, it's not like I dont understand that the amount Meyer was requesting may have been a bit too rich in Macc's opinion. The problem comes in when you let a guy who has worked out well for you walk, knowing damn well how thin the market for kickers are. In situations like that, you use the money to keep from creating a hole in your special teams. Teams get more cap space every damn year. There is simply no excuse for this. Perfect example on why Macc had to go. We're 2 weeks away from week 1 and we dont have a kicker, yet 9 months ago we had an pro bowl kicker. Talk about knucklehead nonsense. 

Facts. This is Meyers latest game vs. the Vikings. We let this guy walk out the building over money and replaced this with legs who cant even convert extra points. 

It's pretty hard to see that much of a difference between Macc and Idzik. It's almost as if Woody wanted GM candidates to talk about frugality during the interview...

Bears dragged nine innocent kickers into their ongoing nightmare

By Post Wire Report

August 22, 2019 | 9:53am

The Bears are apparently re-living one nightmare play over and over again — and took prospective kickers down with them.

Sports Illustrated detailed the Bears’ bizarre searchfor a kicker this offseason after releasing Cody Parkey following the infamous double-doink boot at the end of Chicago’s 16-15 wild-card loss to Philadelphia.

The story included quotes from several kickers, some anonymous, who were among nine to try out for the Bears this offseason. Many of the kickers described a negative environment in the kicking room, perceived bias from consultant Jamie Kohl and Bears coach Matt Nagy’s obsession with field goals of 43 yards — the distance from which Cody Parkey missed in an attempt to win a wild-card playoff game in January.

Notre Dame’s Justin Yoon was one of nine kickers that were invited to try out for the spot starting in May with the team’s three-day minicamp in which kicks of exactly 43 yards were emphasized.

“It’s not efficient for the team to continuously beat that one dead horse the whole time,” Yoon told the magazine. “You have to build a system of confidence for your kicker. I don’t think that’s how the Bears are running it.”

After trying out nine kickers, the Bears kept four on their roster for an extended period, then whittled the competition to two entering training camp: Elliott Fry and Eddy Pineiro. Fry was waived on Sunday, but Nagy said that doesn’t necessarily mean Pineiro — acquired for a conditional seventh-round pick from Oakland in May — has won the job.

“Is the competition over? Between those two, yeah,” Nagy said.

Nagy defended his team’s exhaustive search for a suitable kicker this offseason, in light of the Sports Illustrated story.

“I understand, we brought in a lot of kickers that came in here,” Nagy told reporters Wednesday. “To me, I look at it as a positive, in the fact that we said we were going to turn over every stone to find whoever’s out there. We felt like we, at that point in time, when we brought in a bunch of kickers, we’re going to test them all out and see what they can do.”

The Bears hired Kohl — an independent kicking coach — to coach their own kickers in May. Multiple kickers told Sports Illustrated that Kohl appeared biased toward kickers who had previously attended his camps.

“All of Jamie’s guys, they could have shanked the kick, and it was like, ‘Oh, you have really good rotation, your foot is wrapping around the ball,'” an anonymous kicker said in the story. “I don’t think this situation will be solved or will be what the team needs to be until Jamie Kohl is gone. The way he very much tries to control a room, tries to be the alpha.”

— With Field Level Media