Two Kickers To Keep An Eye On

KRL

I hope we bring in another guy to compete this week. Cody Parkey, Matt McCrane, Caleb Sturgis...there are plenty of options out there.

Get a competition going for the final 2 preseason games, and keep an eye on cuts for potential upgrades.

21 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Why not just Matt Bryant? Seems like the easiest choice. 

This is my choice, we'll be kicking a lot of Xtra points & I think going for 1st downs in no mans land instead of kicking 50 yarders unless absolutely necessary based on the score late in the game. 

Gase absolutely knows you don't beat New England playing pansy football, Belichick can't counter crazy.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Theres a reason nobody has him in camp. Hes old and cant kickoff anymore.

Good point, forgot about the kickoffs, but is it as important as it use to be? Hell, Belichick has Gostkowski kick high so it forces returns, lol.

53 minutes ago, KRL said:

Are Dan Bailey and Cairo Santos (who was in camp last year).
MIN and TB have used draft picks to bring in kickers.  MIN
traded a #5 for Kaare Vedvik and TB used a #5 on Matt Gay.
So both are going to shake free in the final cuts.

Dan Bailey

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14322/dan-bailey

Cairo Santos

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/17427/cairo-santos

Good point.  Also funny / sad that these teams that traded a 5 for a kicker already had a kicker that was like 10 times better than our kickers.

But I agree with some people's sentiment, that a kicker is not something you put a ton of (any) resources into.  You pick up someone at the end of August off the waiver wire, and you'll be fine...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He dropped off that much since last year? He was 94 and 95% on his FGs and XPs. 

He’s also been kicking either inside of a dome or in sunny South Florida for a minimum of 9 games every year for the last decade.

And as stated before, Bryant can’t kickoff anymore and I don’t think Lac Edwards has a shred of experience doing it.

I’d probably put my money on Santos being the guy we ultimately end up with.

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Theres a reason nobody has him in camp. Hes old and cant kickoff anymore.

He can hit the endzone.  Hell, with the new kickoff rules and shortened field, I can hit the endzone.  I'm thinking Bryant is looking for some decent pay to finish his career, so teams would rather find a league-minimum guy that shakes free after cuts.

Some games are won and lost by the kicker the Jets need to get a guy in here quick so he can know whats going on here and practice with the team especially if we need to kick an on-side kick early in the season to win a game. 

Cant have a guy walking in here week the season starts. 

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'll take a guy who can't hit anything over say 50-52 yards IF that guy can EVERYTHING inside 40.  I don't need the cannon of a leg....we just want all the ones that should be made to be made.

His long in 2018: 57 yards

in 2017: 57 yards

in 2016: 59 yards

There isnt anything wrong with his leg strength, its just people assuming a dropoff because of his age.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

His long in 2018: 57 yards

in 2017: 57 yards

in 2016: 59 yards

There isnt anything wrong with his leg strength, its just people assuming a dropoff because of his age.

Including the Falcons!  He was continually battling nagging injuries last year, was dropped by the team he played for forever, is an indoor kicker, and is 40 something years old. No thanks. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/17/2019 at 12:49 PM, TheClashFan said:

Fondly remembering Pat Leahy...

I don't get the Pat Leahy love... I remember him missing Several easy field goals & extra points (extra points were from the 15 yd line then not the 32 yd line like now) costing the jets games... I wanted him Gone.

• Thumb Down 1

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'll take a guy who can't hit anything over say 50-52 yards IF that guy can EVERYTHING inside 40.  I don't need the cannon of a leg....we just want all the ones that should be made to be made.

I'm sorry. Pat Leahy retired a long time ago. I'd b happy as a clam wit that.

They will probably bring a kicker in after cut down day. Somebody will get cut because their team doesn't want to pay. They might go with a rookie over a vet. We can jump on it unless Gase is also against overpaying a PK. We all know how important to winning close games consistency at the kicking game is. It's worth paying more. This is a team we think will be in many close games. If we win most of them we're in. 

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Elliot Fry was just cut by the bears.  He should be picked up immediately and given a look.

Bears depth chart: Elliott Fry has kicking lead over Eddy Pineiro heading into second preseason game

Fry looks to be the front-runner for Pineiro for the Bears' kicking job

by Jeff Kerr

Aug 16, 2019 at 4:29 pm ET • 4 min read