Dortch waived

CTJetsFan

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I like Dortch and he's a good story, but 5'7" WRs are always going to longshots to make an NFL team.  He made a couple of nice PRs in preseason and practice, so he obviously has some natural ability, but he can't contribute at WR or any other special teams, so he had to go.  It's a tough business

Hopefully, he'll get added to the PS and have a chance to come back and compete next year

Agreed.  I would also add that he put the ball on the ground twice this preseason.  Fumble against the Giants and muffed a punt against the Eagles.  Did not lose either fumble, but putting the ball on the ground twice in 17 touches over 4 games is not going to make many teams.  That muff against the Eagles may have cost him the spot.

My understanding from talking to a few people is dortch only could return punts.. he wasn’t viewed as someone ready to fill other roles, especially offensively.  So when they were able to sign berrios they felt they had a guy that could fill multiple jobs if asked.  So they decided to make the move.  

3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

My understanding from talking to a few people is dortch only could return punts.. he wasn’t viewed as someone ready to fill other roles, especially offensively.  So when they were able to sign berrios they felt they had a guy that could fill multiple jobs if asked.  So they decided to make the move.  

Bad/rebuilding teams can't have guys like that on the team. Period.

8 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

They may have viewed him that way and if so, it's understandable that they went with Berrios but I don't see why they would think Dortch can't be a slot receiver. He had fantastic production in college, he made catches when thrown to in pre-season. Had a TD catch. So it doesn't really make sense to me. But hey, im not a scout. Hopefully Berrios contributes as both a returner and receiver. 

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I like Dortch and he's a good story, but 5'7" WRs are always going to longshots to make an NFL team.  He made a couple of nice PRs in preseason and practice, so he obviously has some natural ability, but he can't contribute at WR or any other special teams, so he had to go.  It's a tough business

Hopefully, he'll get added to the PS and have a chance to come back and compete next year

The Jets gave a 5'9", 177lb WR a three year, $28M contract. I see no reason why a 5'7", 173lb WR couldn't back him up just because of his size. 

I was excited about this kid. Now I'm disappointed and hoping this Berrios kid is the bomb. 

There really isn’t any reason to cry about cutting a severely undersized UDFA.  We saw how a guy like Burnett could perform with darnold, they obviously think they can find jags like Berrios who can do the same.  I’m more pissed about burnett than dortch but I trust these guys to upgrade the talent on offense.

1 hour ago, fullblast said:

Worth it for Berrios. Hope they can stash him on the practice squad.

He performed better than NFL stars at a high school showcase.

In 2017, Berrios caught 55 passes for 679 yards and nine touchdowns as the Hurricanes won the ACC Coastal Division for the first time and advanced to the conference championship game. The team captain also excelled as the primary punt returner, averaging 15.9 yards per return.

At his pro day, Berrios ran a 4.44-second 40-yard dash, finished the 3-cone drill in 6.72 seconds, and recorded a 36-inch vertical leap. The explosiveness and versatility were on display when he was a teenager. In one high school season, he had 740 yards as a receiver, 1,260 as a rusher, and 389 as a passer.

He attended The Opening, a Nike combine in Oregon, where he was the No. 5 athlete out of 100 top recruits. In quickness and agility drills, Berrios bested current Carolina Panthers wideout Curtis Samuel and Pittsburgh Steelers star JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Patriots Lose Braxton Berrios, 3 Others To Waiver Claims

BOSTON (CBS) – The Patriots lost four recently released players to waiver claims on Sunday, including wide receiver Braxton Berrios, who was claimed by the New York Jets.

Former Patriots assistant Brian Flores claimed two New England players. Now the Dolphins head coach, Flores put in claims on cornerback Ken Webster and defensive end Trent Harris.

The Denver Broncos claimed Andrew Beck, who played fullback and tight end during the preseason with the Patriots.

When it comes to Berrios, Phil Perry of NBC Sports Boston speculated that the Jets may have grabbed Berrios to prevent the Patriots from stashing him on the team’s practice squad.

Berrios being claimed by Jets is fascinating. Didn’t play in preseason game No. 3. Didn’t play much in the finale. Almost a Corey Bojorquez situation. Punter didn’t see any time in preseason last year. Still claimed by Bills. Wonder if Jets assumed NE was trying to hide Berrios.

As for the Patriots, Joel Erickson of the Indy Star reported they claimed sixth-round defensive end Gerri Green. He has agreed to join New England’s practice squad.

When I said to @nico002 that Jets Fans fall in love with long-shot WR's, during one of the "Oh God is Crowder Hurt Bad?" threads early on, there was a reason.  And it wasn't me trying to be "insufferable" as he thought.  These guys are bottom of the roster for a reason.  They're fringe players, fringe talents, in this league.  No insult, just facts.  They get a shot, they make Jets fans fall in love in camp when some posters and media folks blow their play out of proportion, and almost inevitably, they get cut come start of the season, never to be heard from again.  It's a fan meme.  

Thank god for the Jets Crowder wasn't hurt bad after all.

In Douglas we trust (till he gives us reason not to).  Lets see what our pickup looks like, and lets see if Dortch or Burnett show up somewhere else making big plays.  For now, trust in the Douglas.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

When I said to @nico002 that Jets Fans fall in love with long-shot WR's, during one of the "Oh God is Crowder Hurt Bad?" threads early on, there was a reason.  And it wasn't me trying to be "insufferable" as he thought.  These guys are bottom of the roster for a reason.  They're fringe players, fringe talents, in this league.  No insult, just facts.  They get a shot, they make Jets fans fall in love in camp when some posters and media folks blow their play out of proportion, and almost inevitably, they get cut come start of the season, never to be heard from again.  It's a fan meme.  

Thank god for the Jets Crowder wasn't hurt bad after all.

In Douglas we trust (till he gives us reason not to).  Lets see what our pickup looks like, and lets see if Dortch or Burnett show up somewhere else making big plays.  For now, trust in the Douglas.

Exactly.  At least Robbie Anderson is tall and fast.  In hindsight it’s surprising he wasn’t drafted just based on measurables.  

The offense will be fine, especially when herndon returns.  

2 hours ago, jack48 said:

I dont know how anyone can assume anything about Dortch.  The FO and coaches have been watching him for months.  People looks at a stat sheet and think they know better.  This seems unusual. I am therefor assuming that I do not know enough

Douglas and Gase are new.   We fans have been watching the jets muff punts for the last 5 years and Cannon cannot catch a punt to save his life.  

He was one of the best third down backs in the NFL for about five years and probably the best for a year or two...  he was excellent in NE and even better in SD before he got hurt.  Amazing how productive one down players are disparaged in favor of mediocre all down backs.

All down backs can pass block. That’s why they’re important, even if they’re not particularly good at anything.

It’s the Woodhead types who get over-hyped while the Bilal Powell’s of the league who get under-appreciated.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Exactly.  At least Robbie Anderson is tall and fast.  In hindsight it’s surprising he wasn’t drafted just based on measurables.  

The offense will be fine, especially when herndon returns.  

Being 6'3 & weighing about 175lbs soaking wet doesn't normally attract those who are in search of a starting NFL caliber WR. 

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

They may have viewed him that way and if so, it's understandable that they went with Berrios but I don't see why they would think Dortch can't be a slot receiver. He had fantastic production in college, he made catches when thrown to in pre-season. Had a TD catch. So it doesn't really make sense to me. But hey, im not a scout. Hopefully Berrios contributes as both a returner and receiver. 

May be they just think Berrios is a better player?

3 hours ago, TNJet said:

I was drafted by the white midget league. I'm 5-9 and caucasian. Lol don't take it personal but I always disliked Woodhead. Jets garbage to the media was turned quickly to Patsy gold. Barf.

Let's face it, we haven't been on the same level as the Patriots since Mo Lewis hit Bledsoe too hard.

Being 5'9" for a black man isn't the walk in the park you think it is. Then again, when I was in 8th grade they would say you didn't need a big man in 2-on-2 if you had me on your team. but my dominance during lunch was really probably, what, 3 or 4 months?

6 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Still not good enough for a starting NFL WR.

Why?

Seems to have worked out decently for us so far.

I’ve given Anderson sh*t in the past for his rail-thin frame...but fact is he’s only missed two games in 3 seasons. Meanwhile Enunwa is built like a brick sh*thouse and can’t stay healthy to save his life.

Dortch was waived because he simply didn't show enough on offense (you guys don't get it but it is absolutely the truth when you have a 53 man roster) to present himself as an indispensable cog for the offense. Special teams players MUST be able to present value on BOTH ST and offense or defense. That's a fact that you just haven't wrapped your arms around yet.

But simple deduction will tell you that Gase and Douglas believe they'll be more talented by signing a pending cut from another team and Dortch needs extra time on the practice squad. Besides, it's not like we're losing Leon Washington? Dortch has not shown himself to be much better than Trent Cannon.

35 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Why?

Seems to have worked out decently for us so far.

I’ve given Anderson sh*t in the past for his rail-thin frame...but fact is he’s only missed two games in 3 seasons. Meanwhile Enunwa is built like a brick sh*thouse and can’t stay healthy to save his life.

As a prospect, no... that's why he went undrafted... as a Pro he has done well except for his limited route tree which hopefully w/Gase as the HC will be expanded... I like him & I look forward to him excelling under Gase's tutelage. 

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Exactly, Special teams players must be valuable to ST but also to the offense. He simply didn't show enough on offense which is as important as ST in the overall scheme of things.

Archived