BELL TO GASE: "DON'T HOLD BACK"

flgreen

Just having Bells presence on the field will alter defensive schemes. He needs to be on the field. He’s pumped and ready to play. The Jets didn’t pay him all that money to ease into his game. He knows how to run. He knows what getting hit feels like. There was a good article in the Post today where he stated that he wants everybody to know that the Steelers made a mistake last year letting him go. He’s out to prove something. He’s talking the talk. Let him walk the walk. He has something to prove. We need him on that wall. We want him on that wall. Go get it done Le’Veon.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have said this before.  Hardly anybody talks about "shaking the rust off" about a guy that was out for a year due to injury.

This is only a thing because he held out.

It is a non-issue and a false narrative.

Give him the football, and let him be the superstar that he is.  Hand it off.   Dump it off.  Have him run routes out of the slot.  Whatever.  Wherever.

Nothing to discuss here...

26 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

You know, this Bell thing can actually turn into something very very good or very, very bad. What happens when we lose a game?  ( sorry to burst the bubble, but this team will lose many games this year) will this guy pout like a child about not getting enough of the ball?

i really hope not.

If gase is not given him the ball enough then yes, he should voice his displeasure. Minimum of 20 touches a game or gase should be crucified.

53 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

You know, this Bell thing can actually turn into something very very good or very, very bad. What happens when we lose a game?  ( sorry to burst the bubble, but this team will lose many games this year) will this guy pout like a child about not getting enough of the ball?

i really hope not.

Bell will be happy and motivated as long as he’s getting his stats and getting 20-25 carries per game and 4-5 targets  

The wins are just a bonus

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If gase is not given him the ball enough then yes, he should voice his displeasure. Minimum of 20 touches a game or gase should be crucified.

That’s the thing our defense is going to be so bad we won’t be able to run it nearly as much as Bell will want to

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

I have said this before.  Hardly anybody talks about "shaking the rust off" about a guy that was out for a year due to injury.

This is only a thing because he held out.

It is a non-issue and a false narrative.

Give him the football, and let him be the superstar that he is.  Hand it off.   Dump it off.  Have him run routes out of the slot.  Whatever.  Wherever.

Nothing to discuss here...

Thank you. I don't know why this has to be said, it's common sense. 

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

i really hope not.

Pure speculation based on absolutely nothing. He has never even once displayed any tendencies to be anything less than a team player. Personal issues aside, he is a good player and teammate. They will regret not resigning him.

FLAT OUT B.S.

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Pure speculation based on absolutely nothing. He has never even once displayed any tendencies to be anything less than a team player. Personal issues aside, he is a good player and teammate. They will regret not resigning him.

FLAT OUT B.S.

There was that sitting out a year thing and getting suspended 

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

i really hope not.

I have a couple of parts to my response here.  The first was partly addressed by @jetspenguin

Bell is not the clown people make him out to be.  Some of his Steeler teammates were furious he didnt report.  One, because they know what a special player he is.  And two, there usually isnt that kind of anger generated without admiration and respect first.

Also, and more importantly, I think people are underestimating Sam Darnold in this equation.  Darnold seems to have such a steady leadership and calming presence about him.  Roethlisberger apparently has that douchebag arrogance like Rodgers.   It will wear thin on some guys... and Le'V Bell is a different cat.  But he is going to work here... and Darnold is going to benefit tremendously from Bell's inclusion in the offense.  Scratch that... the centerpiece of the offense.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

tl;dr + Mehta

That said, I hope he holds back.  As excited as I am to have Bell, he hasnt been hit in long time.  He should be part of the game plan but I think it should favor Montgomery.  Ease Bell in a bit.  Let him get his legs underneath him.  Then feed him like the beast he is.  They have luxury of not needing to force feed him first snap, take advantage of it.  And when it is time to unleash the beast, it will be a joyous occasion.  By far my favorite player to watch in the NFL and Sammy boy is handing/throwing him the rock?  Bonerpants time!!!

I think Montgomery and Bell see a pretty even split. And I don’t think that’s to ease Bell, but how Gase will use these guys for the most part. They’re both gonna be a huge part of this offense. 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

That’s the thing our defense is going to be so bad we won’t be able to run it nearly as much as Bell will want to

This is total nonsense.  This defense is going to be good.  About 15th in the league but top 10 in turnovers created.

This sky is falling defense sucks narrative is pathetic.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/04/leveon-bell-set-to-reach-8000-scrimmage-yards-in-63-games-fastest-ever/

Le’Veon Bell set to reach 8,000 scrimmage yards in 63 games, fastest ever

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 4, 2019, 7:31 PM EDT

When Jets running back Le'Veon Bell plays his first game as a Jet on Sunday, it will be the 63rd game of his career. And he’ll almost certainly do something no player in NFL history has done in his first 63 games.

Bell is set to reach 8,000 career yards from scrimmage, and by doing it he’ll be the fastest player ever to get to that mark. Bell currently has 7,996 yards from scrimmage, so he’ll most likely top 8,000 on his first touch.

Eric Dickerson currently owns the distinction of the fastest player to 8,000 yards from scrimmage. Dickerson did it in his 64th game.

After Dickerson, the fastest players to get to 8,000 yards were Edgerrin James and LaDainian Tomlinson in 65 games, Jim Brown in 67 games and Marcus Allen in 68 games.

6 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Ok, then they should be ready to go in game 1. 

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

You don’t pay a RB 15 million to ease him in vs a tough opponent you use him to help beat said tough opponent.  If that means 30 touches so be it.

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Unnecessary.   Le'V Bell is the best offensive player this franchise has ever had.

Ever.

Give HIM the damn ball.

There’s 16 games and a slight possibility of more. Bell will be the most important player late in the year, let’s not run him in the ground just yet. Plan on 15/20 touches to start and see how it goes. He doesn’t need to get the ball 400 times a season unless you only want him around for a two years. There’s enough depth at RB to give him a break. 

51 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

There’s 16 games and a slight possibility of more. Bell will be the most important player late in the year, let’s not run him in the ground just yet. Plan on 15/20 touches to start and see how it goes. He doesn’t need to get the ball 400 times a season unless you only want him around for a two years. There’s enough depth at RB to give him a break. 

I understand your point.  Really, I do.  And Gase will spell him I'm sure.  But I have expected 3 years from Bell with the Jets.  One of which they need to win the Super Bowl in 2020 or 2021.

I have stated before in other threads too.  He doesn't run himself into the ground.  He is not a contact runner.  He protects himself.  He is a slasher, like Curtis was.  That style extends shelf-life.  His vision allows him to see everything coming. He doesnt plow into the line of scrimmage either.  He quickly darts through daylight, or he slides patiently to find it.   He stiff arms.  He will go down many times instead of taking an unnecessary hit from a 2nd or 3rd tackler.  He steps out of bounds near the sideline.  He is savvy.   He only lowers his shoulder once in a while if he is fully charged up, to make an occasional point, or to get in the end zone.  He doesn't waste his body for a relatively worthless half a yard. 

Le'Veon Bell is such a joy to watch.  Even Gase said he went back and watched Steelers film to remind himself how good he is.  I thought that was amusing.  Just let him play.

41 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I understand your point.  Really, I do.  And Gase will spell him I'm sure.  But I have expected 3 years from Bell with the Jets.  One of which they need to win the Super Bowl in 2020 or 2021.

I have stated before in other threads too.  He doesn't run himself into the ground.  He is not a contact runner.  He protects himself.  He is a slasher, like Curtis was.  That style extends shelf-life.  His vision allows him to see everything coming. He doesnt plow into the line of scrimmage either.  He quickly darts through daylight, or he slides patiently to find it.   He stiff arms.  He will go down many times instead of taking an unnecessary hit from a 2nd or 3rd tackler.  He steps out of bounds near the sideline.  He is savvy.   He only lowers his shoulder once in a while if he is fully charged up, to make an occasional point, or to get in the end zone.  He doesn't waste his body for a relatively worthless half a yard. 

Le'Veon Bell is such a joy to watch.  Even Gase said he went back and watched Steelers film to remind himself how good he is.  I thought that was amusing.  Just let him play.

Sounds like Eric Dickerson 

4 hours ago, Butterfield said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/04/leveon-bell-set-to-reach-8000-scrimmage-yards-in-63-games-fastest-ever/

Le’Veon Bell set to reach 8,000 scrimmage yards in 63 games, fastest ever

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 4, 2019, 7:31 PM EDT

When Jets running back Le'Veon Bell plays his first game as a Jet on Sunday, it will be the 63rd game of his career. And he’ll almost certainly do something no player in NFL history has done in his first 63 games.

Bell is set to reach 8,000 career yards from scrimmage, and by doing it he’ll be the fastest player ever to get to that mark. Bell currently has 7,996 yards from scrimmage, so he’ll most likely top 8,000 on his first touch.

Eric Dickerson currently owns the distinction of the fastest player to 8,000 yards from scrimmage. Dickerson did it in his 64th game.

After Dickerson, the fastest players to get to 8,000 yards were Edgerrin James and LaDainian Tomlinson in 65 games, Jim Brown in 67 games and Marcus Allen in 68 games.

Incredible.

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

Sounds weird but I think some of us forgot we have Le'Veon on our roster. I know at times I had to remind myself. Going to be a great season.

We have never had a skill position player like him. His statistical accomplishments are historically dominant and absolutely no joke. 

He’s definitely being taken granted by some folks. 

Gase is gonna go with the hot hand.

I don’t think that many of us can even begin to understand some of the packages Gase is going to throw out there. I can’t help but to think that we’ll get a big dose of Bell/Montgomery lined up at WR, and that’s why there’s only 5 rcvrs on the roster. 

Sh#ts about to get real. Go Jets!

14 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Yes, pay him like a top RB to use him as a rotational player. Brilliant. Those games in december won't mean anything if they're 4-8

33 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yes, pay him like a top RB to use him as a rotational player. Brilliant. Those games in december won't mean anything if they're 4-8

They won’t mean anything either is Bell is the trainers table. This team isn’t winning the SB this year or probably even making the playoffs. I’m looking to next year or the year after. 

22 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

If he needs to "ease" his way into the season then he was mismanaged during the pre-season.

He didn't play a down in the preseason, so it's not about being mismanaged, it's about throwing someone into the fire after such a long layoff.

Archived