Was Kalil benched?

nico002

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

lol, I still recall all the posters who screamed that the O-line was rebuilt, because the Raiders guy, and then Khalil, and that Harrison was great too.....

So far, one of the all-time worst O-line we've ever seen.  And Gase owns it, not Douglas.

K Osemele is a stud in man on man blocking scheme.  He’s a terrible fit in a zone blocking scheme( tape doesn’t lie). 

I couldn’t believe Gase ran a zone blocking scheme. Why would you trade for him as he wasn’t a fit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

I would give Kalil another shot, but with Harrison next to him at guard in place of Winters. If memory serves, he was a swing player with the Colts before coming here? I say this because while I recognize that Kalil hasn't been particularly good, a significant reason for that (and any other C) is just how spectacularly bad Winters is; and it's not a physical thing, the guy has the tools. But he (and I've said this for years) struggles with some basic concept stuff that you shouldn't see at this level or time of service. 

16 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

At least Gase isn’t leaving his guys in just because. I’m glad he’s benching them and doing something if they’re playing like crap. 

If there is one thing that I will credit Gase for right now, it's this.  It's the one redeeming quality he's shown so far. 

• Upvote 3

Kalil's own play has not only sucked, but he was making the line calls, right?  Because if so, that was an unforgivable level of awful last night.  Never before have I seen such a ridiculous volume of rushers coming through completely unblocked.  And we're not even talking blitzers here, but actual DL that just came off the line with no one even trying to block them.  Insane.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Kalil's own play has not only sucked, but he was making the line calls, right?  Because if so, that was an unforgivable level of awful last night.  Never before have I seen such a ridiculous volume of rushers coming through completely unblocked.  And we're not even talking blitzers here, but actual DL that just came off the line with no one even trying to block them.  Insane.

At one point, it seemed like we were going to the LOS and yelling out the plays we were going to run but saying it 2-3 times loud and clearly to make sure the Browns heard everything we were going to do on that play. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

lol, I still recall all the posters who screamed that the O-line was rebuilt, because the Raiders guy, and then Khalil, and that Harrison was great too.....

So far, one of the all-time worst O-line we've ever seen.  And Gase owns it, not Douglas.

Gase does NOT own this OL. That's absurd. He's only been here since January and he doesn't have control over the draft. If you insist on finding something to blame Gase for you can blame him for the kicking situation. That should have been rectified before TC even started.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

This to pull a guy out of retirement and just hand him a job despite Harrison playing very well was just another completely moronic decision.

yep.  it was not a good decision.  imo kalil should've/could've been brought in as a back up but then he wouldn't have been able to demand such a high salary.  and the thing is he's only a one year rental.  the move was short sighted at best.

• Upvote 1

If the coaches are willing to bench highly paid players and go with lower paid guys who play better that's a good thing. If they did bench Kalil it only makes their org and Douglas look bad. But if they can handle that and go with best available player that will give the team a message and in the long run you will get more production. The impression we all have is that Gase and Williams only care about winning and won't play guys who don't produce or deserve it. The guy way down on the bench who never gets a chance might over produce if he gets an opp and in that case play them. 

• Upvote 2

Rich Cimini @RichCimini

Kelvin Beachum catching a lot of flak. Closer look: He recorded a “pass-block win” on 21 out of 23 plays in which win/loss was recorded, per

@ESPNStatsInfo. His only two “losses” came when he was singled up. He “won” 14 of 16 in which there was no double team. #Jets

This said, Beachum allowed two sacks. And he acknowledged afterward that it wasn’t a good performance.

• Haha 1

I understood why we signed Kalil, but I didn't understand a) the timing of the move, b) the $ we gave him and c) the fact that we were handing him the starting job.

Center is the 2nd most important position on offense. Kalil had retired (mentally checked out), lost a good deal of weight and had been mediocre the past 2 years. I know Harrison is not an All-Pro, but Sam and the rest of the line had a rapport with him and they looked decent in the pre-season. Sam and the o-line spent the entire off-season working together. I get JD wanting to get Sam what he thought was the best protection (and call help) he could. If so, he should've done it before camp started.

One thing I noticed in the Bills game was that when Kalil setup in pass protection (after snapping the ball), I thought he was collapsing back way too far before digging in and engaging the d-lineman.

• Upvote 1