So how do we all feel about Gase after today?

Pretty much everything we've said on this forum about Gase since the season began - bad play caller, playing it too safe, no throws downfield, runs an offense that won't work in the modern NFL - was defeated today.

He called a great game, showed some 'balls' instead of being too conservative (which IMO changed the flow of the game), and Darnold looked like a different QB out there today.... even when compared with his last 4 games last season.

So how do we all feel about Adam Gase? Have we found our answer at OC/HC, or will we want his head on a platter by end of season?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, A Jet from Oz said:

Pretty much everything we've said on this forum about Gase since the season began - bad play caller, playing it too safe, no throws downfield, runs an offense that won't work in the modern NFL - was defeated today.

He called a great game, showed some 'balls' instead of being too conservative (which IMO changed the flow of the game), and Darnold looked like a different QB out there today.... even when compared with his last 4 games last season.

So how do we all feel about Adam Gase? Have we found our answer at OC/HC, or will we want his head on a platter by end of season?

Don't you think it's just a bit early to judge either way?  

• Upvote 3

The same as I’ve felt since Week 1: Flawed and probably not the best choice at the time (he was hired by CJ and Macc after all), but certainly not deserving of the criticism he got for the offense under Falk.

He kinda sucks but worse coaches have won Super Bowls on the coattails of an awesome QB. Hopefully that’s what we have in Sam. Gase just mostly need to get out of his way. And maybe call some rollouts for Pete’s sake.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

He is still not good, sorry.  Hey he called a decent game but our play design still is not great.  Way too many plays where he is making Darnold into peyton manning in his last year as in a statue in the back field.  The next planned roll out play I see for darnold will be a first under gase.

Darnold had to make a lot of 5 star throws.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I said this in the other Gase thread. Gase apparently called a great first half, so did Williams  for that matter, the second half we saw Dallas score on nearly every drive while we scored 3 points.

So he called the good plays in the 1st then called the bad plays in the 2nd?

Cmon man just call the good plays in BOTH halves!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So he called the good plays in the 1st then called the bad plays in the 2nd?

Cmon man just call the good plays in BOTH halves!

We could have put them away with just one more TD. Granted Sam made a horrible pass that was picked on what looked like a great drive but I want to see the Jets step on a teams throat. 

The only play call that really disappointed me was the 3rd down in the Red Zone where Darnold threw the pick. Run it there, and if you don't get the 1st you get the FG and you're up by 2 possessions needing that 2pt conversion. Otherwise I think we performed way better than I expected on offense. 

• Upvote 1

We could have put them away with just one more TD. Granted Sam made a horrible pass that was picked on what looked like a great drive but I want to see the Jets step on a teams throat. 

I mean yeah, but what exactly could Gase have done differently in that 2nd half to “step on their throats”? Sam looked visibly exhausted down the stretch of the game.

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

you can't put that on Gase..  that was a great drive until that ill-timed pass at the 5 yard line. A TD there an the game feels a lot different. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean yeah, but what exactly could Gase have done differently in that 2nd half to “step on their throats”? Sam looked visibly exhausted down the stretch of the game.

No surprise with him recovering from mono.  It will be interesting to see how he performs in the coming weeks.  As encouraging as this week was, I expect him to feel the effects of mono all year long.  And the weather was nice today.  We'll see how he handles it when his body is weak and he's playing in frigid weather.  More than likely this entire year is going to be for naught.  But today was still incredibly encouraging because he showed his potential to be a legit FQB. 

I mean, he's no Kirk Cousins but he still might be a very good one in this league.

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He is still not good, sorry.  Hey he called a decent game but our play design still is not great.  Way too many plays where he is making Darnold into peyton manning in his last year as in a statue in the back field.  The next planned roll out play I see for darnold will be a first under gase.

Darnold had to make a lot of 5 star throws.

And the two plays where they drew Dallas offsides?  The quick QB sneak to pick up a 3rd and short conversion?

When was the last time you saw those things?

An aggressive double move backed up inside their own 10?

He mixed in Ty and Bilal to keep Le'V fresh.

The Jets won a game and completed only one pass to Le'Veon Bell. 

They beat the Dallas Cowboys.

More variance is coming... Like my favorite player Le'V Bell... PATIENCE!

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, A Jet from Oz said:

The only play call that really disappointed me was the 3rd down in the Red Zone where Darnold threw the pick. Run it there, and if you don't get the 1st you get the FG and you're up by 2 possessions needing that 2pt conversion. Otherwise I think we performed way better than I expected on offense. 

I had no problem with the call. It was 3rd and 6 and it was just a bad throw but I like that they were not conservative. Gase gets an incomplete at this point. He's had to deal with Falk running the offense with a very poor OL but he is also the one who brought in Falk and played him when it was pretty obvious he was the worst QB many of us have ever seen. 

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, A Jet from Oz said:

Like I am still uncertain ...Luke Falk for 3 games...   i mean, Bill Walsh is spinning in his tomb.

I feel like I did when we hired him, him having been an OC is better than having another former DC/HC...

I feel...  who knows/maybe?

anyone calling out Gase cos we had a non NFL QB playing is just ignant....most of them now on my ignore list.

Our OL still can't run block...   

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

you can't put that on Gase..  that was a great drive until that ill-timed pass at the 5 yard line. A TD there an the game feels a lot different. 

Exactly...    it's just a bad play by a young QB...  i mean...  he missed to the inside and its an INC followed by a short FG attempt.

I'll watch the abbreviated game to see what i see 

I've been tough on Gase, but I always did it understanding that Falk sucked. I just didn't like the way he called the game with him in there. You have to put the player in the best position to succeed and I felt he didn't do that with Falk. With that said, again, Falk stinks.

He was a lot better today with Darnold. Darnold is so talented that he makes up for a poor O-Line by going through his progressions quickly, buying himself more time in the pocket by being aware of the rush and being able to slide step and move around. He also doesn't even have to step into all of his throws to throw the ball downfield. He can throw off his back foot at times.