This is what happens behind bad Olines

Jetster

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Aikman finished 1989 with a 0–11 record as a starter, completing 155 of 293 passes for 1,749 yards, 9 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.

Dallas had an epically bad Oline, but not as bad as what we're seeing here. They turned it around by fixing the Oline & drafting Emmitt Smith & Michael Irvin. 

You can't have a script if you can't run the ball at all. Especially vs teams with good Dlines. 2nd & 24 behind this Oline is trouble & Sam is thinking about getting rid of the ball or running for his life instead of what the play call is. Did you see how many times Brady just threw it at players feet when he felt pressure? Here's the difference, the Pats defense is REALLY GOOD, our defense? Well, how many opening drives for TDs are we going to give up? Sam is trying to win on every play & for some reason Gase isn't reining him in? I don't know why? Parcells would have lost his sh*t. 

true enough about the oline.  but these team has also had to cope with a pretty serious in season injury bug.  the lb's have been hit hard as has the oline. not trying to make excuses but the injuries do count and have an effect on the team play.

Clearly understand the OLine issue, injury issues, etc.  And I'm clearly separating our Gase and focusing on him and whether he is the answer as HC to get us out of this mess.  Jimmy was a spectacular HC in college.  Parcells one of the best ever.  Gase's track record gives me no confidence he has the stuff to get us where we need to go.

I would simply prefer we go in another direction at HC.  I don't trust him with this project.

• Upvote 2

The problem is every QB who plays poorly behind a poor OL isn’t a HOF-in-waiting. Sometimes the QB also stinks. The worst part about this season is we will be no closer to evaluating whether Sam is “the guy” as we were at the end of last year. 
Sam hit his te Griffin for 2 touchdowns in a game where he was sacked 8 times. That is 1/5 of Griffin's career touchdowns. Did Griffin suddenly become good or did Sam being a decent qb make him look that way under a great deal of pressure. In my eyes and I could be wrong that shows something from darnold.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Sam hit his te Griffin for 2 touchdowns in a game where he was sacked 8 times. That is 1/5 of Griffin's career touchdowns. Did Griffin suddenly become good or did Sam being a decent qb make him look that way under a great deal of pressure. In my eyes and I could be wrong that shows something from darnold.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Sample sizes matter my dear boy

7 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Amazing he gets paid for this genius insight. What next fire burns?

You say that because you, like all of us here, are myopically focused on our Jets. 

Yesterday's game was meaningless to the league and stories that should take up any national journalist's te. Thought the tweet interesting because:

A) Someone whose scope of work isn't covering the Jets took note of situation.

B) Jeremiah is close with Joe Douglas, and this could either be sympathy for a friend or Douglas trying to shape coverage through allies.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

The problem is every QB who plays poorly behind a poor OL isn’t a HOF-in-waiting. Sometimes the QB also stinks. The worst part about this season is we will be no closer to evaluating whether Sam is “the guy” as we were at the end of last year. 

Let's look at the converse of your first statement, what QB's actually play well behind a poor OL? Im asking that as a serious question.

Now, in no way does that make Darnold good at all, but expecting any young QB to be good with an OL situation as bad as ours, particularly when we have no running game and a poor WR's is asking a lot.

Your last point is exactly right, and if we draft another QB high next year, it will magnify that situation. We will have 2 highly drafted QB's, likely still a poor OL and no WR's.

The right way to do this is to commit to fixing the OL and get some offensive weapons. If Darnold isnt the guy, get the guy next year and at least you have the pieces in place to evaluate sooner.

This is the problem with piss poor management. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, JTJet said:

We lead the league in sacks allowed and are on pace to possibly break the all time single season record. 

That should ABSOLUTELY tell you everything you need to know. Never has a QB been under assault to this level and consistently been good. 

People refuse to understand this and immediately want to claim Sam is a bust.

- Sam getting destroyed because of O Line.

- RB cant produce because of O Line.

- WRs no time to separate because of O Line.

- TEs needed for blocking because of O Line.

Yet you hear "well the greats make their teams better". Get out of here with that nonsense. That may be true if Peyton Manning had a kinda bad O Line, or Aaron Rodgers has a kinda bad O Line... we have a kid in his second offense with a historically bad O Line but dudes are out here mad because he isnt a Pro Bowler. 

I don’t think anyone is claiming Darnold is a bust here (maybe I’m wrong) but my point—which I have seen others share—is that the OL is a valid excuse but it doesn’t tell us anything about how Sam will perform with an average OL. Bad QBs also look bad behind bad OLs. No one will argue this year should be used to evaluate Darnold’s future—which is a shame because that’s what this year should’ve been all about.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

Let's look at the converse of your first statement, what QB's actually play well behind a poor OL? Im asking that as a serious question.

Now, in no way does that make Darnold good at all, but expecting any young QB to be good with an OL situation as bad as ours, particularly when we have no running game and a poor WR's is asking a lot.

Your last point is exactly right, and if we draft another QB high next year, it will magnify that situation. We will have 2 highly drafted QB's, likely still a poor OL and no WR's.

The right way to do this is to commit to fixing the OL and get some offensive weapons. If Darnold isnt the guy, get the guy next year and at least you have the pieces in place to evaluate sooner.

This is the problem with piss poor management. 

I was writing what amounts to a response to your post as you were writing it. See above. I think we agree. :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Can't do it in the salary cap era - this will take a long time to fix.

The Colts oline went from trainwreck to a team strength in about a year. 

2017 Oline Rankings- Colts 25th https://www.pff.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-from-the-2017-nfl-season

2018 Oline Rankings colts 3rd- https://www.pff.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

I am not saying this oline is 1 year away, but sometimes an infusion of a super talented high draft pick and a free agent can turn things around for a line. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Yes.  This is the problem with this season if we don't take advantage of the next 6 very winnable games against the NFL's weaklings.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Aikman finished 1989 with a 0–11 record as a starter, completing 155 of 293 passes for 1,749 yards, 9 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.

Dallas had an epically bad Oline, but not as bad as what we're seeing here. They turned it around by fixing the Oline & drafting Emmitt Smith & Michael Irvin. 

You can't have a script if you can't run the ball at all. Especially vs teams with good Dlines. 2nd & 24 behind this Oline is trouble & Sam is thinking about getting rid of the ball or running for his life instead of what the play call is. Did you see how many times Brady just threw it at players feet when he felt pressure? Here's the difference, the Pats defense is REALLY GOOD, our defense? Well, how many opening drives for TDs are we going to give up? Sam is trying to win on every play & for some reason Gase isn't reining him in? I don't know why? Parcells would have lost his sh*t. 

POTY

1 hour ago, jgb said:

If your OL can't  block for your QB on it's own, then you need to put more guys back there. If 6 can't  block you put 7 back there, if that doesn't  work you put 8. I rather just have 3 guys in a pattern with my QB being able to setup for a good pass than having him throwing off balance all the time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

There is no doubt Sam is making bad decisions, but put yourself in his shoes. You're getting sacked every other play. The run game is not working at all. You can simply throw the ball away but there is only so many times you can throw it away in a game. Eventually you need to score points to win. So Sam gets fed up and tries to be a hero and puts it up for grabs. Should he put it up for grabs? Well no, he shouldn't, but he also realizes we not going to the playoffs if we score 7 points a game and the defense can't stop a nose bleed.

16 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

With some smart moves, this OL can turn around quick. If we were to take Andrew Thomas in round 1 and sign Brandon Scherff in free agency, that's a huge jump right there.

Scherff, Trent Williams, the best center in the draft.  Edoga at RT, a veteran LG, and a new o-line coach/run game coordinator.

Do this and we have a chance to be competitive next year.  

14 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

He was being compared to Favre on Saturday, wasn't he?

The problem is he looks like (name a USC QB) on Sundays. 

He looks a ton like Favre early in his career at QB. Sam's a bit taller, but somewhere between Favre and Ben R is what he should AIM to be. 

You hope he learns to reign in the hero ball like young Favre did and that Joe D can surround him with talent like GB did Favre as he reached his prime.

Favre had a lot of Sundays like the one Sam had yesterday when he was coming up. 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Brady would suck with this line - is he a Hall of Fame QB?

• Thumb Down 2

11 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Brady would suck with this line - is he a Hall of Fame QB?

Let me try to explain again. If everyone would suck behind this line, good and bad alike, why are we all assuming Darnold is a good QB?

My position is this is basically a lost year for evaluation purposes precisely because the OL is putrid.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Limited OL options in FA, and we need a ton of help there. Unless Douglas swings a few trades and nails a ton of OL picks in the draft, we are looking at another lost season next year.

Thats what's perverse about current situation - for the long term, we may be better off 'trusting the process' for a hope at Andrew Thomas or someone of that ilk at LT, but that implies Darnold likely taking a real beating while we get there...

11 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Limited OL options in FA, and we need a ton of help there. Unless Douglas swings a few trades and nails a ton of OL picks in the draft, we are looking at another lost season next year.

OL is actually deep in the draft next year... Or at least thats what the word on the street is... So 5 picks for OL, and 1 for WR might help... Grab a Edge rusher in FA there are a few that are UFA right now... I know that some will be tagged or resigned but Sheard, Quinn, Lawson, Van-Noy, Kendricks are all UFAs among a few others... Maybe Cooper at WR if Dallas can't find the money for him with Dak contract, and after signing a bunch of other high priced players.

3 hours ago, peebag said:

Can't do it in the salary cap era - this will take a long time to fix.

I disagree slightly.  You CAN fix it relatively quickly if you’re willing to truly dedicate resources to it and forgo other things.

As painful as it would be, IF the Jets are willing to pass on going after a CB1, going after a very good Edge rusher, etc. they can absolutely replace at least 3 positions on the OLine this offseason, including the key ones of LT and C.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

The worst part about this season is we will be no closer to evaluating whether Sam is “the guy” as we were at the end of last year. 

This is exactly why I currently feel that this season has the chance to be the single most frustrating season in my lifetime. 

• Upvote 1

I cannot believe some of what I am reading here, I really can't. You have a kid playing basically alone behind nobody with the opponents stacking the LOS with 6 guys most times, and even when they rush 3 or 4 are getting to him. There is no human on this planet who could succeed in this situation. What is most concerning is the HC openly admitted in his post game presser last night that he did not do enough to help Sam succeed nor did he put him in the best position not to get killed. My opinion is Sam is fine, the problem is not with him. The problem lies directly with this CS. Did anyone notice we had a great first drive yesterday? Poof, Jax made some defensive "adjustments", right after that and were in our backfield, as well as holding us scoreless for the next 2.5 quarters. This is what I don't get, other team react and adjust, but we never do. It seems we had these issues under Bowles as well. These guys are not good head coaches, it is as simple as that.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I disagree slightly.  You CAN fix it relatively quickly if you’re willing to truly dedicate resources to it and forgo other things.

As painful as it would be, IF the Jets are willing to pass on going after a CB1, going after a very good Edge rusher, etc. they can absolutely replace at least 3 positions on the OLine this offseason, including the key ones of LT and C.

You forgot WR1 and WR2

• Upvote 1