Possible Draft Shake Up - Tagovailoa 'serious' hip fracture

THE BARON

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Tagovailoa with  'serious' hip fracture.  Same type of injury that ended Bo Jackson's career.  

I wonder how this will roil the top of the draft...

Awful. He didn't look ? last week. He shouldn't of been out there today...

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I think Justin Herbert will wind up having the best NFL career of any QB taken IN 2020

Going to have to agree to disagree on that. Personally I think Burrow is head and shoulders above any of the other guys. 

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Going to have to agree to disagree on that. Personally I think Burrow is head and shoulders above any of the other guys. 

Could be, yes.  I don't want to say it is a crap shoot, but picking the right QB takes a little luck.  Just as important or perhaps more, is the team, HC, OC and QBC that the drafted QB gets saddled with. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

This one has nothing to do with the ankle.

It's not a fracture, its dislocated.  Bo had a lack of blood flow causing osteoarthritis necrosis.

Oh. I just meant it's bad luck cause I didn't think he should have been playing last week to begin with...

Not that the injuries themselves were related. Didn't realize they had ruled out fracture, that's a relief.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Could be, yes.  I don't want to say it is a crap shoot, but picking the right QB takes a little luck.  Just as important or perhaps more, is the team, HC, OC and QBC that the drafted QB gets saddled with. 

Like Darnold with the Jets? ?

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, ryu79 said:

Oh. I just meant it's bad luck cause I didn't think he should have been playing last week to begin with...

Not that the injuries themselves were related. Didn't realize they had ruled out fracture, that's a relief.

Actually, i was wrong

Not of fracture of the femur, but of the back portion of the socket as well.  Different than Bo, but not good.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

Another example as to why the NFL should let kids into the league a year early. There is no reason Tua should be playing this year and no reason Trevor Lawrence should play next year.

I didn't want him going to the Dolphins (or the Bengals since they're in our conference too) but I feel terrible for Tua.  He might miss out on life-changing money now.  I think he has a very talented younger brother who is signed up to play for Bama as well.  That could help his family but not sure about his future. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Tagovailoa with  'serious' hip fracture.  Same type of injury that ended Bo Jackson's career.  

I wonder how this will roil the top of the draft...

That injury was a career ender for Bo because they didn’t know how to treat the injury.( waiting to long, and oxygen was deprived to the hip . 

Today they do, and I think there is very strong chance Tua makes a full recovery.    I'm hearing anywhere from 6 months to 18 months including physical therapy depending on how bad the fracture is. 

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

That injury was a career ender for Bo because they didn’t know how to treat the injury.( waiting to long, and oxygen was deprived to the hip . 

Today they do, and I think there is very strong chance Tua makes a full recovery.    I'm hearing anywhere from 6 months to 18 months including physical therapy depending on how bad the fracture is. 

Hopefully they will get him patched up.  I'd say that he will still get drafted by round 3 if the reports on his recovery are favorable. Perhaps still round one.  Look at Dallas with Jalin Smith. Not a QB, but same type of situation.  Considered the best defensive prospect until catastrophic knee injury.  Now he's a contributor. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Should Tua still come out this year? Or does it make more sense to return for one more year to heal and potentially get some reps in? 

Obviously depends on how early you think he'd go but I don't think it's a sure thing that he comes out.

Hes coming out. It will be a Willis McGahee situation where whomever drafts him will likely redshirt him.

I still think he’s likely a round 1 pick

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Interesting.  Do you have a link for this?

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Hopefully they will get him patched up.  I'd say that he will still get drafted by round 3 if the reports on his recovery are favorable. Perhaps still round one.  Look at Dallas with Jalin Smith. Not a QB, but same type of situation.  Considered the best defensive prospect until catastrophic knee injury.  Now he's a contributor. 

Jaylon Smith came to mind for me as well but, as you noted, he had a different injury (knee rather than hip).  It's certainly possible that there's a treatment by now though so maybe Tua will still play in the NFL down the road.  Watch the Patriots draft him and put him on the shelf for Tom Brady's final 2-3 years.

13 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I think Justin Herbert will wind up having the best NFL career of any QB taken IN 2020

The Twitter Draft Tween Community is down on Herbert, but Steve Young, unprompted, brought Herbert up as the guy he thinks is the best prospect in next year’s draft. Given the TDTC’s recent performances, particularly as it relates to QB evals, I think it’s going to be interesting to see who ends up going where. 

13 hours ago, chirorob said:

This one has nothing to do with the ankle.

It's not a fracture, its dislocated.  Bo had a lack of blood flow causing osteoarthritis necrosis.

Yeah but one of the major things that can cause what Jackson had, avascular necrosis or osteonecrosis of the hip, is hip dislocation which can interrupt blood flow to the femoral head. 

• Upvote 1