### Jets \ Bengals -- The Official Game Thread ###

Maxman

1 minute ago, ryu79 said:

Brutal. Seemed every time we made any progress we got a holding call, backed ourselves up and gave up a sack or had to throw it away. 

Agreed.Robby Anderson dropped a TD pass which set the tone. The we had that huge play that was called back.  After that Sam has no time to do anything 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

There’s recent precedent of the Bengals and Bears offering enormous job security. The Chargers will have a new young QB. The Vikings have one of the best GMs in football. The Steelers are the Steelers. This is where I struggle with this whole line of argument: you agree that the Jets job is bottom-3 in the league, but then claim that somehow it won’t be if we keep Gase another year? I just don’t buy it. If Douglas is as advertised, he should have no problem finding a good coach, regardless of when he starts the search. If he’s not, the job will continue to be a graveyard regardless of when he starts the search. So just fire this dipsh*t now and let’s get going.

Douglas has zero power to fire, nor to hire a coach. The owner does.

you know this.

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

There’s recent precedent of the Bengals and Bears offering enormous job security. The Chargers will have a new young QB. The Vikings have one of the best GMs in football. The Steelers are the Steelers. This is where I struggle with this whole line of argument: you agree that the Jets job is bottom-3 in the league, but then claim that somehow it won’t be if we keep Gase another year? I just don’t buy it. If Douglas is as advertised, he should have no problem finding a good coach, regardless of when he starts the search. If he’s not, the job will continue to be a graveyard regardless of when he starts the search. So just fire this dipsh*t now and let’s get going.

I don’t think you can cite the Bears and Bengals job security as a saleable feature that sets those jobs apart from the Jets and in the next sentence advocate for firing the Jets coach after one year, especially considering that the current roster is atrocious tip to stern. This isn’t advocating for Gase, this is accepting the reality of where the franchise is. The team sucks, and the organization sucks. It needs to be built up from the ashes. If Douglas has a unicorn HC prospect in his back pocket whom 1. Isn’t on the short list of the Giants, Cowboys, etc and 2. Will take the job, then I’m all for it. But if you’re firing Gase to end up scrapping for interviews with Mike Pettine, I don’t know if that’s the card I’d play. Douglas has one shot to hire a head coach after he fired Gase. He should fortify the position before putting it on Monster dot com

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jamal has solid game: “LOOK AT THIS BEAST PRO BOWL DOMINANT DEFENDER PAY HIM”

Jamal nowhere to be found against 0-11 team: “NOT HIS FAULT LEAVE HIM ALONE”

You can’t expect a Defensive Player of the Year finalist to contend against the likes of Andy Dalton and Gardner Minshew 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think you can cite the Bears and Bengals job security as a saleable feature that sets those jobs apart from the Jets and in the next sentence advocate for firing the Jets coach after one year, especially considering that the current roster is atrocious tip to stern. This isn’t advocating for Gase, this is accepting the reality of where the franchise is. The team sucks, and the organization sucks. It needs to be built up from the ashes. If Douglas has a unicorn HC prospect in his back pocket whom 1. Isn’t on the short list of the Giants, Cowboys, etc and 2. Will take the job, then I’m all for it. But if you’re firing Gase to end up scrapping for interviews with Mike Pettine, I don’t know if that’s the card I’d play. Douglas has one shot to hire a head coach after he fired Gase. He should fortify the position before putting it on Monster dot com

In before the 2022 'Douglas didn't put Taylor bro #3 in a position to succeed' threads.

• Sympathy 1

Team was not up - that is for sure - the blame goes to coaching, the play calling was predictable and foolish we didn't roll Sam out enough, all on the coaching, but..

1. We fooled ourselves thinking this team was good as they have played well for the past few weeks. They were never going to playoffs at 0-6 in AFC and they weren't going to beat both Buffalo and Baltimore.

2. Sam has shown the ability to play well (even today) but he has more growing to do (to be fair - this is more on the offense than him today).

3. The O-Line is trash - we knew this.

4. No depth at LB - we knew this.

5. No real pass rush - we knew this.

6. Weak at CBs - we knew this.

7. Weak and inexperienced at WR - we knew this.

I get the frustration; we were on a high and beat some moderate teams; it sucks to loose to a crappy team. It just sucks, but 5 weeks ago, would we have been surprised? Better that we (and the team) don't fool themselves into thinking the Jets were better than we are.

While I want to win every game, this loss doesn't do anything but re-enforce the problems on this team and help us slightly in the draft. This is why I routed for Baltimore last week; Jets weren't going to playoffs, but Ravens and Pats are - I don't think I can take another Pats SB.

While I get the frustration, I don't get the drama all of the drama? Sam sucks, really? Everyone sucks? A bad team with a lot of holes played down and without passion and loss to a worse team - happens all of the time. Yes, I blame Gase for the lack of preparation and the team being flat, but isn't this the guy everyone was calling a genius last week?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Leaders lead. The only lead in Jamal is him being a cheer(leader). 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That sounds familiar, I’ve heard it before.

I just can’t remember the name of the other guy we do it with....

14 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed.Robby Anderson dropped a TD pass which set the tone. The we had that huge play that was called back.  After that Sam has no time to do anything 

The Bengals dropped two TD passes.  They seemed to bounce back ok.

And Sam had time at times, he just held the ball too long...alot.  Blasphemy, I know.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Hes already seen it. I was 1st ID for 3 years of my time, and he loves it because of me and Mark Hamill. LOL

I like what Tarantino said about Hamill playing Griff.  You see Luke Skywalker fighting real evil.  Not make believe.  Griff was actually a real soldier that Fuller knew that died a basket case in an army hospital. So in every war movie that Fuller ever did he always put a character named Griff in memory.  Fuller was one of a kind.  Lived three lives in one and did just about everything a human could do.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

The Bengals dropped two TD passes.  They seemed to bounce back ok.

And Sam had time at times, he just held the ball too long...alot.  Blasphemy, I know.  

You can’t compare to the two not even close.  Dalton had ZERO pressure while Sam was pressure all game

• Upvote 1

Bart and Ray ripping Gase a new azzhole for his play calling.  Seems we’re stuck with Gase and his high flying offense.  Don’t really see things getting better anytime soon. Gase’s philosophy is to throw throw throw throw. At this point, I’d bring Rex’s ground and pound back. 

Just now, Warfish said:

Translation:  Sam did enough to win, but X just couldn't be overcome.  The 2019 meme of the year at this point.

Never said that. Did I say Darnold had a good game? No.  But when you get zero protection and your receivers drop first down/touchdowns there isn’t much you can do