A thread about Matt Rhule

I really have a good feeling with him. I watched him take a Temple program and built that up and after what he has done in Baylor is amazing. He has coached in the NFL for 1 year for the New York Giants under Coughlin.  Since I watch a ton of college football I think he not only brings an offensive approach like a Lincoln Reilly but he was a Linebacker under Paterno at Penn St. and brings that toughness to his defense. Baylor was a disaster when he was hired and now they could go to the Championship Series. And all in less than three years.  He is my guy for this organization.  But yes he will be a high priority for many teams, College and Pro.  Hopefully he picks the Jets.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

After the way he was treated by this organization and the likely other opportunities that will come his way soon, why would he come to this damned team?

Money Talks and you know what walks. Throw the money at him and he will sign. He is an East Coast Guy and the Jet Job is a high profile job.

13 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I really have a good feeling with him. I watched him take a Temple program and built that up and after what he has done in Baylor is amazing. He has coached in the NFL for 1 year for the New York Giants under Coughlin.  Since I watch a ton of college football I think he not only brings an offensive approach like a Lincoln Reilly but he was a Linebacker under Paterno at Penn St. and brings that toughness to his defense. Baylor was a disaster when he was hired and now they could go to the Championship Series. And all in less than three years.  He is my guy for this organization.  But yes he will be a high priority for many teams, College and Pro.  Hopefully he picks the Jets.  

chicago cubs smh GIF by MLB

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

I really don't get the infatuation with a college coach who has won nothing of consequence.  

That said, I don't get the infatuation with any college coach for that matter.  Even the legends that make the leap to the NFL end up disasters. 

Baylor is a nice story. Rhule has done a very good job there. That doesn't make him NFL HC material.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I really don't get the infatuation with a college coach who has won nothing of consequence.  

That said, I don't get the infatuation with any college coach for that matter.  Even the legends that make the leap to the NFL end up disasters. 

Baylor is a nice story. Rhule has done a very good job there. That doesn't make him NFL HC material.

Go ask Pete Carroll and Bill O'brien about that !!   I see that hiring assistants have really worked !!

30 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

We need a coaching vacancy first and that ain’t happening for a long time — unless you have some insider info that says otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Yes, we should hire more Adam Gases and Todd Bowleses. Guys with impeccable NFL resumes.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Go ask Pete Carroll and Bill O'brien about that !!   I see that hiring assistants have really worked !!

This is Pete Carroll's THIRD HC gig in the NFL.

And isn't Bill O'Brien on thin ice every season?

Listen, maybe Rhule will be an exception (pun intended) but the likes of Nick Saben, Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino, and the original new era of football genius - Chip Kelly - all were train wrecks in the NFL. And they all accomplished far more than the guy at Baylor.

And let's not forget the former and future HC of Rutgers. The job Greg Schiano did in New Jersey is nothing short of a miracle and far more impressive than what Rhule has accomplished.  How long was he the HC in Tampa? 2 years?

48 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

EGumkqqWsAAbP-7resize.jpg.4db0f0faf0134324aba7ec05de13dd97.jpg

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Yes, we should hire more Adam Gase's and Todd Bowles's. Guys with impeccable NFL resumes.

Pro coordinators have a better hit rate in the NFL as HCs than college HCs.

The fact that the Johnson's can't identify and hire one is besides the point and an entirely different discussion. 

9 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

This is Pete Carroll's THIRD HC gig in the NFL.

And isn't Bill O'Brien on thin ice every season?

Listen, maybe Rhule will be an exception (pun intended) but the likes of Nick Saben, Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino, and the original new era of football genius - Chip Kelly - all were train wrecks in the NFL. And they all accomplished far more than the guy at Baylor.

And let's not forget the former and future HC of Rutgers. The job Greg Schiano did in New Jersey is nothing short of a miracle and far more impressive than what Rhule has accomplished.  How long was he the HC in Tampa? 2 years?

Look I am not going to argue about college head coaches. Yes I do agree some college coaches should not go pro. Spurrier, Kelly and Petrino should never have went pro. They didn't care about defense.  Saben could of been a winner in time. I do believe that. Schiano should of never left college because he was a Ra Ra type of guy with his college players.  But Rhule is more of a Pro coach and believes in defense. This NFL is not the same NFL of the past. Because of rule changes that allow more offense this NFL is so much like college. You would of never survived as a running QB back in the day.  In fact Big Ten Football is more like the NFL past than the NFL today.  I think Jet fans are fed up with assistants and revamped losing head coaches.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I thought someone just bumped a thread from December 2018.

My bad.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

An owner with any brains and a nut sack.  Would tell rhule, we screwed up can you forgive us and give us a mulligan?  You can hire anyone you want.

And of course fire Gase.

Since our owners have neither brains nor a nut sack we are saddled with Gase for two more years minimum.

• Upvote 1

Johnson boys will keep Gase they do not have the guts or the smarts to fire Gase. Matt Rhule is more like a Parcells then a typical college coach and I think he could be the next Bill Parcells but it wont be with the Jets the Johnson boys want to run everything they want to pick the coordinators and tell the GM who to hire and fire Matt Rhule after the screwing the Johnson gave him will never take the Job. Got a feeling this team will keep Gase another 2 years then they will blow the whole thing up and bring in another loser like Gase. I dont even think Douglas stays he will get tired of the meddling and walk out after 2 years.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

We need a coaching vacancy first and that ain’t happening for a long time — unless you have some insider info that says otherwise. 

We had our chance. We had this guy all but confirmed and blew it. Then we panicked and signed Gase the Face. 

I would be absolutely blown away if Matt Rhule ever even considered coming to this slapd*ck organization. It's not happening.  Like you sadly stated, we already have a coach and he's not going anywhere. 

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I thought someone just bumped a thread from December 2018.

My bad.

haha. Right?   and I opened it because I hoped there might be a shred of actual news or even rumor to it.  Wrong on all counts with this one. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

haha. Right?   and I opened it because I hoped there might be a shred of actual news or even rumor to it.  Wrong on all counts with this one. 

Yep, but you just know we’re going to get at least 3 pages of “feelings”.

This board is hard to take when it comes to Gase. Everyone wanted Macc fired because the roster he put together was such a mess.

Boom. He’s fired. They’re happy.

Then, one week into the first season he’s gone the starting QB gets mono and misses 3 games. It seemed like half the starting lineup was either injured or suspended during that time also.

Yet half this board wants the new HC fired before that first month. I mean, come on, what are they even thinking?

I was never a Gase fan, and I didn’t want him here, but I can’t understand, or justify, so many people wanting him fired a few games into his first season.

I listen to these people go on and on about this, and it makes me wonder. If this is the way they look at the coaching situation, why would I ever take anything else they talk about here seriously?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yep, but you just know we’re going to get at least 3 pages of “feelings”.

This board is hard to take when it comes to Gase. Everyone wanted Macc fired because the roster he put together was such a mess.

Boom. He’s fired. They’re happy.

Then, one week into the first season he’s gone the starting QB gets mono and misses 3 games. It seemed like half the starting lineup was either injured or suspended during that time also.

Yet half this board wants the new HC fired before that first month. I mean, come on, what are they even thinking?

I was never a Gase fan, and I didn’t want him here, but I can’t understand, or justify, so many people wanting him fired a few games into his first season.

I listen to these people go on and on about this, and it makes me wonder. If this is the way they look at the coaching situation, why would I ever take anything else they talk about here seriously?

Right. Guys need a chance to flesh things out sometimes. I can relate though.  I wrote a post or two about him being fired too. Oh well. :)  

That said, He really screwed the pooch with his "game plan" in the Bungles game. I seriously don't know what the hell he was thinking dropping Darnold back 52x against the worst outside rushing defense in the league.  Not one run to the outside either. I just don't get it. 

I never wanted Gase and he's making it really hard to defend the idea of keeping him at this point though. 

14 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

What a tease!!! Man I thought with the Rivera news coming out, I thought this was happening, like you were announcing it 

For the record that would be a good move for the jets. Hell signing the guy in the upperdecks to coach would be a good move for this team

I know. I actually bit too. I thought I was at least opening up a rumor but nope.  Just a bunch 'o feelins