Metrics Showed Where Adam Gase Failed To Live Up To Cutting-Edge Offense Hype

20 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Metrics ??? Hell, you don't need metrics to see that Gase is not up to the task.  All you need is the "eye test".  It was painfully obvious... 

Or if you actually keep deep diving into numbers that are curved by 4 games of play without your QB, with that OL and treating the Jets like they were on equal footing with the rest of the league.

• Upvote 1

Metrics do not support Gase.

So people rely on "feelings" to feel good about Gase, and utilize a litany of woulda, shoulda, coulda, cherry picking, but but's excuse making, scapegoating, and other selective readings to project Gase's worst-in-NFL offenses the past few years (and dead worst in 2019) into something hopeful.  If only, if only, if only.  If only Gase had X, he would be a success.

I have doubts about Sam, but remain hopeful about him.

I do not have hope in Gase.  If he produces a top 10 offense in 2020, he'll have certainly shown me wrong, but his resume just doesn't support that being the outcome.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Metrics ??? Hell, you don't need metrics to see that Gase is not up to the task.  All you need is the "eye test".  It was painfully obvious... 

His play calling has been downright terrible.  It's been bad.  Really bad.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So people rely on "feelings" to feel good about Gase, and utilize a litany of woulda, shoulda, coulda, cherry picking, but but's excuse making, scapegoating, and other selective readings to project Gase's worst-in-NFL offenses the past few years (and dead worst in 2019) into something hopeful.  If only, if only, if only.  If only Gase had X, he would be a success.

I do not have hope in Gase.  If he produces a top 10 offense in 2020, he'll have certainly shown me wrong, but his resume just doesn't support that being the outcome.

Thank you!

can we just fire this bum. We’re really about to waste another year of Darnold’s rookie contract on someone who can’t help Darnold to begin with, much less help himself.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think the "noise in the data" excuse loses a lot of its merit when that needs to be attributed to the poor performance in every year of his professional coaching career, with the sole exception of when he had Peyton Manning playing/calling plays at the line.

He's obviously getting at least one more year around here, so I'll certainly be rooting for him, but there is a pretty significant amount of evidence to suggest there's unfortunately little reason for optimism.

Well said.

28 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I certainly get your overall points here, I think the "noise in the data" excuse loses a lot of its merit when that needs to be attributed to the poor performance in every year of his professional coaching career, with the sole exception of when he had Peyton Manning playing/calling plays at the line.

He's obviously getting at least one more year around here, so I'll certainly be rooting for him, but there is a pretty significant amount of evidence to suggest there's unfortunately little reason for optimism.

Absolutely.  Thing is, there is no reason to be so down on the guy now, if you weren't last off-season.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I certainly get your overall points here, I think the "noise in the data" excuse loses a lot of its merit when that needs to be attributed to the poor performance in every year of his professional coaching career, with the sole exception of when he had Peyton Manning playing/calling plays at the line.

Well, and when he took the Dolphins to the playoffs, but I understand your point.

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

A Jets fan who goes by the Twitter handle @DrewfromJersey had a fabulous take on Gang Green’s offensive incompetence during the 2019 season.  Drew opined that the best thing to happen over 17 weeks that saw the Jets place dead last in yards gained and 31st in points scored (only because New York’s six non-offensive touchdowns bumped them over Washington) was that quarterback Sam Darnold took the initiative after a Week 8 loss in Jacksonville to confront Gase about his garbage playbook

Wow metrics

The "EYE TEST" when it comes to Gase tells me one thing....

He simply did NOT have talent to work with. That's a fact.

Then, I come to the realization that the talent situation is so bad that, NO ONE, not just Gase, could be successful coaching this team. Not even a young Bill Parcells. 

So ultimately no one knows if Gase is a good HC. Everything on this site is merely one's opinion. Not even my own opinion matters.

What must happen is the GM must start doing his job.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

59 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

The "EYE TEST" when it comes to Gase tells me one thing....

He simply did NOT have talent to work with. That's a fact.

Then, I come to the realization that the talent situation is so bad that, NO ONE, not just Gase, could be successful coaching this team. Not even a young Bill Parcells. 

So ultimately no one knows if Gase is a good HC. Everything on this site is merely one's opinion. Not even my own opinion matters.

What must happen is the GM must start doing his job.

That's untrue... The jets have an Above Average QB, RB & WR... granted the oline stinks but that still should not have them ranked 2nd to Last in offense.

4 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Unfortunately, this strategy was not adjusted in the second half of the season. To the contrary, it got worse, with handoffs on 52% of second-and-longs in the last eight games. The success rate on those runs was similarly miserable, with the Jets gaining a measly 3.1 yards per carry.

So per earlier in the article, where Darnold heroically took on the role of OC in addition to elite QB*, this increase in handoffs of 2nd and long is really Darnolds fault ? 

*if not for skank gurlz, poor coaching, incompetent online, weaks wr's and slow bell (except when we like him to critisize gase)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetsons said:

That's untrue... The jets have an Above Average QB, RB & WR... granted the oline stinks but that still should not have them ranked 2nd to Last in offense.

What metric is Sam above average? Not even trying to be a smart a$$ here. Legitimately curious as to what you’re basing this on.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

So per earlier in the article, where Darnold heroically took on the role of OC in addition to elite QB*, this increase in handoffs of 2nd and long is really Darnolds fault ? 

*if not for skank girls, poor coaching, incomptent online, weaks wr's and slow bell (except when we like him to critisize gase)

No*

*because spleen

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jesus. John Bell Hood? He was truly a lousy general -- legs or no legs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

If gase Fails to show Significant Improvement in the Offense this season he MUST BE FIRED.... he was brought in mainly for this & Teaching Sam & he will be held accountable for Both.

Wrong.

Douglas and Gase are here to build STABILITY.  That's the most important thing.  Fix the culture, stick with the same playbook for 4 years, give this 22 year old quarterback a comfortable and dependable base to build upon.

Adam Gase is your head coach for the next 3 years.  Nothing is going to change that.  Accept it.  Or root for the Packers.  They have nice uniforms.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Sympathy 1