What If?

Warfish

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

lol that was NEVER going to happen. If Darnold has slipped past the Giants with Indy at 3 there would have been an insane bidding war to get the pick. You’d be looking at us trading 3 first rounders to move up 3 spots.

I mostly agree, just strange we did not hear about trade talks with the Giants, who would have traded up?

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Call me wild but I’m not sure that Lamar Jackson would be 1/4 as special as he is in BAL. they literally gave him one of the best situations i’ve ever seen a QB given and well...we have given our QB’s some of the worst situations I have ever seen given.

Of course, this sentiment is a Jets Fan meme at this point: 

"Oh, guy X wouldn't be nearly as good here, so despite him being awesome elsewhere, our guy who hasn't been nearly as awesome is clearly the best choice and better player".

This sentiment, in one form or another, is a regular JN occurrence.  

This thread is a great example:  Somehow Jets Fans have convinced themselves that we'd be better off to-date with just Sam vs. a QB who already made the playoffs once and has been superior in total production to Sam + a pro bowl WR + TWO starting O-linemen (our single greatest weakness today). 

It's amazing scenes, really.  Watson here?  Nope, he wouldn't be "as good".  Mahomes here, nope, wouldn't be "as good".  Etc, etc, etc.  Apparently, only Sam could possibly be any good for the Jets.  Convenient then, that we have him isn't it?

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"Oh, guy X wouldn't be nearly as good here, so despite him being awesome elsewhere, our guy who hasn't been nearly as awesome is clearly the best choice and better player".

Because more than any other QB in the NFL LJ has to play in that system to be successful.  And we dont have that type team, surrounding players.  

Its not a bs scenario, its the way it is.  

Im also not so quick to claim that LJ will be the better player, its not a slam dunk.  For all the nonsense talk through the years that Brady was nothing but a system QB, no one is more of a system QB than LJ

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

Due to other discussion today, I'm curious what people honestly think.

WHAT IF: 

What if the 2018 New York Jets had chosen to sit firm at pick # 6 in the 2018 Draft, and retained their three 2nd round picks (#37 & #49 in 2018 and #34 in 2019).

Instead of drafting Sam Darnold at #3 overall, the Jets instead chose to draft:

2018 #6:    Josh Allen, QB
2018 #37:  Courtland Sutton, WR
2018 #49:  Connor Williams, Guard
2019 #34:  Dalton Risner, O-Tackle

What would be the big differences between what happened and this alternate scenario?  For purposes of this I'm not changing any other move the team made.

Would our record be 11-21 combined in 2018 & 2019?  Would it be better, or worse, and why?

Would our Offenses have been ranked 29th and 32nd, respectively, in 2018 & 2019?  Would it be better, or worse, and why?

Would our outlook for 2020 be better?  Worse?  Why?

Would we be looking at WR and O-Line in the 2020 Draft?  Or other positions?  And why?

Thread is admittedly 100% speculative and calls for opinion.  No answer is wrong, and no one can truly know. 

So have fun, speculate, and tell us what you think this alternate universe might look like today. :)

easy to speculate with hindsight.....

To answer your question, it is possible we would be in better shape today but that does not mean I am upset with Darnold.

The thing I am upset with is passing on Mahomes. It was an obvious choice back then and you can pull up old threads where I was pounding the table for him. JIF also was from what I can remember

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Call me wild but I’m not sure that Lamar Jackson would be 1/4 as special as he is in BAL. they literally gave him one of the best situations i’ve ever seen a QB given and well...we have given our QB’s some of the worst situations I have ever seen given.

Weird then how a former SB winning yet JAG QB had mustered less than a .500 record with them the previous few years and last year specifically when they were 4-5 under Flacco and 6-1 under Jackson. Add in his 13-2 this year and  team that was 4 games below .500 the last 4 years has now gone 19-3 with a non special QB who would be worse than Darnold here.

Poppycock!

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yep. Mostly the QB's, whom "real jets fans" have no problem thrashing the entire team in defense of, which is very odd to me. "You aren't a real jets fan if think Darnold isn't great, can't you see the oline, coaches, wr and rb's stink" (10+ other jets)

I first experienced it back in like 05ish when I was regularly told that the only difference between Pennington and the elite QB's were weaponz. There are some who believe that to this day

At this point its just fun to troll them for it, but it's definitely bizarre

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

Weird then how a former SB winning yet JAG QB had mustered less than a .500 record with them the previous few years and last year specifically when they were 4-5 under Flacco and 6-1 under Jackson. Add in his 13-2 this year and  team that was 4 games below .500 the last 4 years has now gone 19-3 with a non special QB who would be worse than Darnold here.

Poppycock!

Can’t really say he’d  be worse or any better than Darnold. We can say.. on the Jets we would more than likely see the worst version of Lamar Jackson. By a large margin. 

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

WHAT IF: 

What if the 2018 New York Jets had chosen to sit firm at pick # 6 in the 2018 Draft, and retained their three 2nd round picks (#37 & #49 in 2018 and #34 in 2019).

What would be the big differences between what happened and this alternate scenario?  For purposes of this I'm not changing any other move the team made.

Would our record be 11-21 combined in 2018 & 2019?  Would it be better, or worse, and why?

Would our Offenses have been ranked 29th and 32nd, respectively, in 2018 & 2019?  Would it be better, or worse, and why?

Would we be looking at WR and O-Line in the 2020 Draft?  Or other positions?  And why?

Thread is admittedly 100% speculative and calls for opinion.  No answer is wrong, and no one can truly know. 

So have fun, speculate, and tell us what you think this alternate universe might look like today. :)

The what if’s are only better if we go back a year and take Mahomes or maybe Watson then keep our draft picks.

IMO, Darnold is going to be infinitely better than Allen so it was worth the trade.

13 minutes ago, CTM said:

Yep. Mostly the QB's, whom "real jets fans" have no problem thrashing the entire team in defense of, which is very odd to me. "You aren't a real jets fan if think Darnold isn't great, can't you see the oline, coaches, wr and rb's stink" (10+ other jets)

I first experienced it back in like 05ish when I was regularly told that the only difference between Pennington and the elite QB's were weaponz. There are some who believe that to this day

At this point its just fun to troll them for it, but it's definitely bizarre

I resent being stereotyped in such a manner.  I hated on Pennington and I love Darnold.  Because one can throw and the other was a noodle-armed bum.  Because one takes smart risks and threads the needle and the other needed to protect his precious stats by taking sacks instead of trying to make a great play.

I re-watched the Raiders, Steelers, Cowboys, and Giants games last week.  I encourage you to do the same.  Darnold's accuracy and touch is incredible.  His spidey-sense in the pocket is amazing.  His throws on the run and in awkward body alignment are fantastic.  Unlike Pennington whose problem wasn't weapons, get Sam some elite WR's and it's going to be game over for the AFC East.  This ain't hype.  This is real.

SAR I

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Can’t really say he’d  be worse or any better than Darnold. We can say.. on the Jets we would more than likely see the worst version of Lamar Jackson. By a large margin. 

I'm pretty sure you can though 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I resent being stereotyped in such a manner.

Oh well tfb, the fact that you like to flip flop from homer troll or sojf troll doesnt change the observation which I was speaking about in aggregate anyway. The same thing Darnold fans say today, pennington fans were saying 15 years ago.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

This thread is a great example:  Somehow Jets Fans have convinced themselves that we'd be better off to-date with just Sam vs. a QB who already made the playoffs once and has been superior in total production to Sam + a pro bowl WR + TWO starting O-linemen (our single greatest weakness today). 

It's amazing scenes, really.  Watson here?  Nope, he wouldn't be "as good".  Mahomes here, nope, wouldn't be "as good".  Etc, etc, etc.  Apparently, only Sam could possibly be any good for the Jets.  Convenient then, that we have him isn't it?

No, I believe what people are saying is put Sam in Baltimore or KC, and he's looking much better.

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

WHAT IF: 

My only argument is this: There is a presumption that Mac would have been smart enough to do all that.

Its the same with Mahomes.  Imagine if we drafted the position we needed over a safety?  Would it have mattered?  Mahomes stepped into a great team and Andy Reid to boot.  I have no faith that Mac would have all of a sudden learned how to draft and done something.  What does he do with the first rounder in 2018?  What does he do with picks 37 and 49?  What does he do with pick 34 in 2019?

I don't think much of Allen's upside, so I would not think we would be better.  However, the one I wonder about is Mahomes.  I mean, imagine if we drafted him (and I FULLY admit I was against it), and still finished where we did?  Imagine the picks we could have got at six, given everyone was hot for all the QB prospects that year.  Imagine if Mac all of a sudden learns to draft, nothing changes but we have all the picks back?  Would he go Mahomes that year, then go Mike McGlinchey in the first in 2018, followed by Braden Smith  and Christian Kirk in the 2nd round.  Then, in 2019 he uses that 2nd rounder on Cody Ford?

So many possibilities, so little ability at the GM helm drafting all those years.

Lets hope Douglas has a solid draft this year and next.  That will go a long way in turning this team into a competitive franchise moving forward.

40 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I meant on the Jets. Jackson has shown to be a great prospect , Darnold has shown to be a great kid. It’s all I got so far. 

Yeah i know, I'm pretty confident that Jackson would be performing much better here than Darnold has

In this alternate  universe is Luck still on thevColts because there is no way they don't  trade that pick if he is. 

As for Allen and Courtland being our WR and QB, we have one WR who is going to be a stud and a QB that can't hit him with a pass with any consistency.  The two OL wouldn't  matter because Allen has as much pocket presence  as jumping bean in a hot frying pan. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTM said:

There are s some here today that cloud the issue by trying to reverse a simple fact of life in the NFL, try and make it into a Jet fan thing.  

Without weaponz, QBs struggle.

Period.  End of story.

The entire offseason has seen this discussed in regards to Bradys season 

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

Yeah i know, I'm pretty confident that Jackson would be performing much better here than Darnold has

I’m not sure, I’m only certain he would be much worse than he is  in Baltimore. Can’t help but think he would have been on IR by mid season. Plus in the playoffs, he seemed to get frustrated when the team around him didn’t pull their weight. Not sure he could carry a dog like our offense any better that Sam. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Poppycock!

Flacco was trash for many years before 2018-19. 

QB’s are only as good as their situation. They had the playmakers, the OL, the play calling and everything else in one. Lamar Jackson was game managing off of a switched playbook for the most part in 2018-19. Either way you want to slice it, Lamar would of been scrambling every single snap here, maybe gotten hurt behind this OL, he wouldn’t have anyone to throw to (no fav targets like RB’s or TE’s) and the play calling probably wouldn’t have been ideal for him. Would he of grasped a playbook that isn’t tailored to his familiarity and skill set? Would he of looked as good being forced to push up field and throw 30-40 times a game? Because Jeremy Bates had Darnold throwing 30 times in 8 games and 40 times in 5.(not exact on that but looked this up last offseason and vaguely remember the numbers) asking Lamar to throw 30-40 times in predictable situations in 2nd/3rd and long’s doesn’t sound like a formula for success to me

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Flacco was trash for many years before 2018-19. 

QB’s are only as good as their situation. They had the playmakers, the OL, the play calling and everything else in one. Lamar Jackson was game managing off of a switched playbook for the most part in 2018-19. Either way you want to slice it, Lamar would of been scrambling every single snap here, maybe gotten hurt behind this OL, he wouldn’t have anyone to throw to (no fav targets like RB’s or TE’s) and the play calling probably wouldn’t have been ideal for him. Would he of grasped a playbook that isn’t tailored to his familiarity and skill set? Would he of looked as good being forced to push up field and throw 30-40 times a game? Because Jeremy Bates had Darnold throwing 30 times in 8 games and 40 times in 5.(not exact on that but looked this up last offseason and vaguely remember the numbers) asking Lamar to throw 30-40 times in predictable situations in 2nd/3rd and long’s doesn’t sound like a formula for success to me

Playmakers are only as good as their QB

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

You can respond to my post where I quoted CTM and I never said anything about Watson, Mahomes or anyone else so that’s not my beef there.

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

Playmakers are only as good as their QB

Yep unless your name is Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson.  The only 2 WRs I've seen in my lifetime that can make sh*tty QBs look competent.  

My guess is Gronk would have had that ability too had he played anywhere else during his career.