Quinnen Williams arrested for gun possession at JFK. (Update: Confirmed)

9 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • I said this months ago, and I feel like I have said scores of times after that-Mac gets re-fired almost every day.  He did absolutely zero aptitude evaluation of his players.  
  • Look at Herndon.  Looked great.  He decided to drive drunk at 80 mph on Route 80, and got into an accident and almost killed someone.   He got suspended and obviously did not work out, and got immediately hurt . He is a knucklehead. 
  • Polite?  Enough said.  The entire NFL figured him out, other than Mac. 

I would just not be optimistic about this season.  Bad schedule and a very deep personnel hole.  That is why I thought we should start over at QB.  

Good points but start over at QB? 

44473435-3A17-4DBC-97CD-7B2FEE748E87.jpeg

From the linked article -- he is not out of trouble:

In New York, which has strict gun laws, carrying even an unloaded, non-permitted handgun is a serious offense.

According to the website of Martin D. Kane, a Queens-based defense attorney who is not representing Williams: “In New York, even the possession of an unloaded operable handgun is a felony charge. Possession of a loaded handgun in New York has a minimum sentence of 3.5 years in prison.”

So while Williams won’t have to deal with the latter scenario, he still has a significant legal situation on his hands.

24 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

What did he do at the combine to make you think this???? He ran a decent 40 for a DT? When's the last time you saw a DT run 40 yards in an NFL game? Richardson vs the Vikings 6 years ago? Gimme a break, he had a 30 inch vert and mediocre broad jump. Awful pick, let me repeat it for the people who for whatever reason can't see it....QUINNEN WILLIAMS WAS AN AWFUL PICK MADE BY AN AWFUL GM.

You are correct, it was an awful pick by a buffoon. We can't blame the player for being picked sooner than later. He was picked third because this organization let this awful GM spend 100 million in FA and allowed him to run the draft. I hope he gets through this ignorant incident and can improve and help this team this season. He was picked where he was and nothing is going to change that, lets see if he can turn into a solid player. Right now no one knows that this kid is a bust, he showed some flashes last year and he should improve. Lets all just let it play out, and if he turns into a bust, I will be the first to say it.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Again, you're using a straw man tactic, by crafting an argument I never said. 

Actually if you said it its not straw man argument if you said it.

And you did.

Crafted an argument, LOL, right

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

From the linked article -- he is not out of trouble:

In New York, which has strict gun laws, carrying even an unloaded, non-permitted handgun is a serious offense.

According to the website of Martin D. Kane, a Queens-based defense attorney who is not representing Williams: “In New York, even the possession of an unloaded operable handgun is a felony charge. Possession of a loaded handgun in New York has a minimum sentence of 3.5 years in prison.”

So while Williams won’t have to deal with the latter scenario, he still has a significant legal situation on his hands.

So, the issue is the fact that he brought his legally owned firearm from Alabama to NYC where he does not have a permit to possess a firearm. Not smart but happens more often then you think.

He didn't have it loaded and didn't try to bring it on the plane (he was checking it thru with baggage as per TSA rules).

My question then is: how did he get stopped at the airport? As far as I know, TSA doesn't ask to check for a firearms permit (as it is not required in many states) unless they do so at NYC area airports. Usually you just tell them that you want to declare a firearm (in this case a handgun) in checked baggage and they ask you to open your baggage and show them that the firearm is in a approved locked box. Then you fill out some paperwork which is put in your baggage.

Just now, T0mShane said:

What’s terrible is that if Williams is suspended, it’s a net positive because his backups appear to be better than him anyway 

i thought of this earlier but didn't have the heart to post it.  the defense won't miss a beat without him.  and they're probably going to have a better secondary after FA and the draft.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

What’s terrible is that if Williams is suspended, it’s a net positive because his backups appear to be better than him anyway 

Tell me why i, or anyone else should pay attention to someone who thinks Jamal Adams is just an average player.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jaw dropping speed, it says 

Just goes to show you that there is a big difference between playing speed and shorts speed.  At no point last year did QW look anywhere near as athletic as Leo.  Some of that will likely improve in a hurry with technique improvements (and he's extremely raw in that regard, contrary to what we were led to believe) but i'm not sure he'll ever have the raw athleticism as Donald, Suh, Atkins etc

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Hael said:

Just goes to show you that there is a big difference between playing speed and shorts speed.  At no point last year did QW look anywhere near as athletic as Leo.  Some of that will likely improve in a hurry with technique improvements (and he's extremely raw in that regard, contrary to what we were led to believe) but i'm not sure he'll ever have the raw athleticism as Donald, Suh, Atkins etc

What made those guys freaks was the lateral mobility, which Quinnen dutifully avoided revealing. 

Much ado about nothing. Glad we didn't lynch him before all the facts were in.

5 years from now I predict that we will be very glad that Q and the Prez are anchoring our top 10 defense while Sam and Co are kicking butt and consistently leading us to the playoffs.

Go Jets!

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i thought of this earlier but didn't have the heart to post it.  the defense won't miss a beat without him.  and they're probably going to have a better secondary after FA and the draft.

Imagine spending the third overall pick on a guy that might get suspended and it has literally zero impact on the performance of that team. Almost hard to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine spending the third overall pick on a guy that might get suspended and it has literally zero impact on the performance of that team. Almost hard to do.

Who was responsible for us finishing as a top 10 defense. Gregg Williams.

• Sympathy 1

The gun being unloaded in NYC ends up at worst a misdemeanor. But hard to fix the stupid that would put a handgun in  a bag you know is going to be screened. Was this guy raised by shewolves? In a cave? Under a highway helix? Looks like a very big,  fat,  dumb kid who got a gun because he's seen them in rap videos and thinks it's cool. He has no need for a gun. Probably poses in the mirror holding it sideways like a moron. If he wanted to leave it home in Alabama, that's his business, but carrying around here, a great way to get in trouble. 

A responsible gun owner knows within 30 seconds of buying a gun how to transport it safely and legally, and familiarizes himself the laws of any state he plans to carry his gun. If you picked the single worst way, it would be to try to hide it on a bag  while boarding a flight. 

Stories we have not heard about Quinnen Williams-"He's living in the gym, looks terrific,no more baby fat nonsense,  his strength is going to surprise his doubters". Best player in the draft. Again! Thanks Mike!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Quinnen was a prime example of the analytics falacy.  

He played on a stacked team and overwhelmed a bunch of OG who are now repo men in rural Georgia.  

Quinnen has created a new drafting criteria for me.   At least in the first three rounds, you have to look the part.  No more fat slobs with premium picks.  Ok-maybe first two round-Orlando Brown made the Pro Bowl last year.  I think this could affect where Andrew Thomas gets drafted.  

If the guy is not playing  a premium position, in the early rounds he has to be off the charts superior, good to go,  on Day 1. Williams doesn't seem to be  a bad guy, but dumber than a box of rocks. That he refused to bench 225 lb. at the combine, dubious as the combine might be, should have been a red flag. An NFL DT should be able to do that for a sh*tload of reps , no problem. Looks like he's not serious. If you take a DT that high, he's Ngata or Donald on Day1 or you don;t take him. Coffee Boy once again took the easy consensus pick. once again blew up like a fireworks factory. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

i feel better already.

It’s all good.

Weapon was in checked bag.  No ammunition.  Weapon was permitted in Alabama and unlikely to be an illegal or stolen weapon.  And he was carrying less than 3.8 oz of Highly Enriched Uranium so he could only take out a  large town/small city with a dirty bomb....not a city like New York. :-) 

• Haha 2