Quinnen Williams arrested for gun possession at JFK. (Update: Confirmed)

2 hours ago, varjet said:
  • To me, the bigger issue here is not that a person who is likely not very smart could not figure out how to navigate the transportation rules for his concealable weapon.  It is that he had that weapon in NY and NJ in the first place, which I don't think he is allowed to do.
  • I think it does provide further evidence that Quinnen is not very smart.  You don't have to be very smart to play well. for Alabama.  Saban basically tells you exactly what to do 24/7.
  • It also highlights the frustration we all have with this draft pick.  I think the board may be 50/50 with him at this point.  He needs every deadlift he can get and does not need to be wasting time in jail or court.  Maybe Mike the Situation can show him how to get jacked in prison.
  • But my new drafting criteria is simple.  To be picked in the first 50 picks, you should have great football tape.  Then you check the athletic and physical measureables.   Then you check for minimum intelligence and character.  Quinnen, and Mamula/Gholston, are two versions of a similar problem.    These screens change slightly as you proceed and move through the draft.  
  • Polite had great tape but poor physicals, and then poor character and intelligence.  Someone would have grabbed him after us, but maybe way after.  We thought we stole Herndon in the 4th, but I think teams were onto him.  He has severe ADD or something.  Teams knew Robby was not all there, but that actually worked out, but we did not spend a draft pick on him.  He almost imploded . 
  • Mangini and Tannenbaum appeared to have it figured out for a few years.  That is what JD needs to do.  Find football players with the right balance in the right places. 
  • But as I look at the 2019 draft again, Josh Allen was clearly the pick.  That or trade down for Hockenson, Bradbury, etc.  It did not have to meet the draft value chart in what looked like to be a meh draft.  A 3rd or 4th would have worked.  

I think you are being very generous here.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, varjet said:
  • To me, the bigger issue here is not that a person who is likely not very smart could not figure out how to navigate the transportation rules for his concealable weapon.  It is that he had that weapon in NY and NJ in the first place, which I don't think he is allowed to do.
  • I think it does provide further evidence that Quinnen is not very smart.  You don't have to be very smart to play well. for Alabama.  Saban basically tells you exactly what to do 24/7.
  • It also highlights the frustration we all have with this draft pick.  I think the board may be 50/50 with him at this point.  He needs every deadlift he can get and does not need to be wasting time in jail or court.  Maybe Mike the Situation can show him how to get jacked in prison.
  • But my new drafting criteria is simple.  To be picked in the first 50 picks, you should have great football tape.  Then you check the athletic and physical measureables.   Then you check for minimum intelligence and character.  Quinnen, and Mamula/Gholston, are two versions of a similar problem.    These screens change slightly as you proceed and move through the draft.  
  • Polite had great tape but poor physicals, and then poor character and intelligence.  Someone would have grabbed him after us, but maybe way after.  We thought we stole Herndon in the 4th, but I think teams were onto him.  He has severe ADD or something.  Teams knew Robby was not all there, but that actually worked out, but we did not spend a draft pick on him.  He almost imploded . 
  • Mangini and Tannenbaum appeared to have it figured out for a few years.  That is what JD needs to do.  Find football players with the right balance in the right places. 
  • But as I look at the 2019 draft again, Josh Allen was clearly the pick.  That or trade down for Hockenson, Bradbury, etc.  It did not have to meet the draft value chart in what looked like to be a meh draft.  A 3rd or 4th would have worked.  

Had some worry Allen might have rapidly increased his strength with....better living through chemistry. But it also screams the guy is taking the NFL seriously. Again, if you are going to pick a DT over an edge he had better be off the charts, get to the QB, 300+ pounds of pissed off every down, Kerry Jenkins, Aaron Donald Hali Ngata-like,  complete total no questions asked beast. Williams so far is not that, not even close. 

Will grant you; Williams' arrest looks more like stupidity than malevolence. He is a big dopey kid, not a gangsta. But this is again on a moron GM who didn't get relative positional value. You cannot pick a guy this high and have him sheet the bed. 

Can you imagine any team crazy enough to interview Maccagnan for scouting job walking him through his picks? 

"Mike, Jamal Adams, nice player. But he's a safety.How do you take him over a perennial MVP like Mahomes or a solid Pro Bowler in Watson when you did not have an offense? Or Watt's brother when you had no pass rush? Why did you draft Darnold and then do NOTHING with your OL? " 

• Upvote 4

On 3/6/2020 at 4:58 AM, BurnleyJet said:

Funny no one seems very keen to hire him. His resume gets worse by the day..

Doesn’t matter to Maccagnan.  He’s rich.  Got paid by the stupidest owners in the NFL, the Blacksheep Johnson Bros.

And then, as always with the Johnsons, it gets to be a vicious cycle.  Any idiot could see that Maccagnan was grossly incompetent yet instead of firing him long ago the Johnsons double triple and quadruple down on the troglodyte praying something good will happen because if they had fired him much earlier and cut their losses then they look like the incompetent idiots they themselves are.

The cheery on top for all Jet fans is once he was finally fired the report that he was about to be fired in Houston finally hits the sunshine.  Then the first thing you think of is, “Wait..the guy was a scout..and the Jets upped him to GM?!?!” Hahaha.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Doesn’t matter to Maccagnan.  He’s rich.  Got paid by the stupidest owners in the NFL, the Blacksheep Johnson Bros.

And then, as always with the Johnsons, it gets to be a vicious cycle.  Any idiot could see that Maccagnan was grossly incompetent yet instead of firing him long ago the Johnsons double triple and quadruple down on the troglodyte praying something good will happen because if they had fired him much earlier and cut their losses then they look like the incompetent idiots they themselves are.

The cheery on top for all Jet fans is once he was finally fired the report that he was about to be fired in Houston finally hits the sunshine.  Then the first thing you think of is, “Wait..the guy was a scout..and the Jets upped him to GM?!?!” Hahaha.

Joe Douglas being hired by Chris isn’t exactly a confidence booster. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/6/2020 at 12:22 PM, THE BARON said:

A lot of the southern and southwestern states have a gun culture.  Just like taking your favorite mobile device with you.  Some people don't give it anymore thought than that.  It is an accessory that you are used to taking along with the rest of your outfit...

Some states have open carry laws and others don't require a concealed license to carry. It's called the #2A - second amendment. I've had a concealed carry permit in Florida for over 25 years.

New York and New Jersey have insane gun laws like other gun free cities, but these states and cities have the highest rate of gun violence. Criminals don't obey the laws and this leaves law abiding citizens helpless against armed thugs.

QW is old enough to know about the gun laws in NY & NJ. If he was unsure he could have asked for advice from his agents or the Jets on how to transport the Glock.

Now the facts are that he did not have any ammunition and that he was checking in and declared the Glock was in his checked baggage. Hopefully some high priced lawyer will get this reduced so that QW doesn't serve jail time. Even so, the NFL will suspend him at least eight games.

• Upvote 2

On 3/6/2020 at 8:05 AM, THE BARON said:

Agree fully.  Mandatory sentences are more often than not, destructive.  It bloats the correctional system with non-violent offenders who should be out working and paying taxes instead of being a financial liability to the state. NJ/NY gun laws are also far too draconian.  Any sane, law abiding citizen who wants to conceal and carry should be able to get a licence to do so in any state if they are willing to undergo firearms proficiency training and comprehensive background check.  Given I just said that, it is also dangerous and moronic in general to let anyone walk off with a gun without first having a background check and some training.  If you are truly pro-gun, you should agree with that.  I think we are all "pro-automobile", but none of us would agree any fool should be able to buy a car and drive off with it until they insure, register and get a drivers licence.  Gun laws as they stand, IMHO are totally off balance.

Yeah I mean I have heard the argument before but I disagree. Who decides yes no , impartiality etc ...I'm more of if anyone want to protect themselves they should be able to. But yeah I hear you. 

So he misunderstood what he needed to do in order to legally transport his weapon, brought it to the airport, declared it and had it in his checked baggage (not carry-on) to transport it safely, unloaded and separate from his person.... and got arrested?  Is that right?  It sounds like he sincerely tried to do the right thing in telling them at the counter that he was checking a bag with an unloaded weapon he was bringing back to Alabama and will end up getting screwed here.  Kinda sucks for the kid.  It's like doing a self checkout at the supermarket and leaving before you realize you left something in that bottom rack of the shopping cart and forgot to scan it.  You go back in to tell them and they say, "Thanks.  We're calling the cops." lol

• Upvote 2

On 3/5/2020 at 11:31 PM, 14 in Green said:

You have no idea how many people are licensed to carry guns down south. I'd be willing to bet QW is licensed in Alabama, but that's no excuse for carrying in NY.

When you apply in a certain state, they explain very clearly when and where you can carry and when you cannot(drinking for example). They stressto you your license isn't valid in other states. Also, everyone who has a gun license and isn't aware of NYs gun laws, especially having lived here as QW has, is a total moron.

You have no idea how many people in upstate NY where I live  are licensed to carry guns. ?

• Upvote 1

I don't  know if this has been mentioned yet but as some facts are coming out, this is bad but not as bad as it seems. 

It seems he was arrested  at the counter and he was trying to check his gun. It was then discovered he only has a carrying permit for Alabama. He wasn't  attempting to board a plane with it. This was more or less ignorance of the law. Yes, he should have known but let's  be serious, Q is basically a kid. He does have a lot of growing up to do but he is not a mature adult, he is a college guy that doesn't  have a lot of reason to grow up as most people, he plays a game for a living. 

The good  things is he made it known that he had a gun at the counter andd  he did not resist when he was arrested. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/6/2020 at 1:54 PM, southparkcpa said:

There is a reason 95 percent of people work for 5 percent of the people.  It is behavior, determination and morals.  You pick your side, I'll pick mine.

I'll stay on the non-elitist side, thanks.  I like you dude.  But you make it hard sometimes.  A person's worth isn't defined by how much money he makes, at least not to me.  Like a game of Monopoly, a lot of that stuff goes back in the box after your time runs out.  

Don't be a SAR I.  

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Some states have open carry laws and others don't require a concealed license to carry. It's called the #2A - second amendment. I've had a concealed carry permit in Florida for over 25 years.

New York and New Jersey have insane gun laws like other gun free cities, but these states and cities have the highest rate of gun violence. Criminals don't obey the laws and this leaves law abiding citizens helpless against armed thugs.

QW is old enough to know about the gun laws in NY & NJ. If he was unsure he could have asked for advice from his agents or the Jets on how to transport the Glock.

Now the facts are that he did not have any ammunition and that he was checking in and declared the Glock was in his checked baggage. Hopefully some high priced lawyer will get this reduced so that QW doesn't serve jail time. Even so, the NFL will suspend him at least eight games.

By insane you mean they are working.  NY is one of the safest cities since they started enforcing gun laws.  That's despite legal gun dealers from out of State transporting them and selling them to illegal gun dealers in NY and elsewhere.

The facts are a little cloudy.  Are you suggesting he didn't have a gun in the metro area illegally with ammunition?  We have no idea if that's true or not.  All we know is he had a gun in Queens that wasn't loaded and was transporting it.

He should be well defended and the law should be applied to him the same as anyone else.   The 2nd amendment doesn't give him the right to break the law.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll stay on the non-elitist side, thanks.  I like you dude.  But you make it hard sometimes.  A person's worth isn't defined by how much money he makes, at least not to me.  Like a game of Monopoly, a lot of that stuff goes back in the box after your time runs out.  

Don't be a SAR I.  

It's not money, it's values, work ethic etc.  Williams appears to lack in that area.  I didn’t realize his gun was packed away etc... so yes, my first assessment was a bit harsh now that the news had changed. I assumed he had it with him. 

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

So he misunderstood what he needed to do in order to legally transport his weapon, brought it to the airport, declared it and had it in his checked baggage (not carry-on) to transport it safely, unloaded and separate from his person.... and got arrested?  Is that right?  It sounds like he sincerely tried to do the right thing in telling them at the counter that he was checking a bag with an unloaded weapon he was bringing back to Alabama and will end up getting screwed here.  Kinda sucks for the kid.  It's like doing a self checkout at the supermarket and leaving before you realize you left something in that bottom rack of the shopping cart and forgot to scan it.  You go back in to tell them and they say, "Thanks.  We're calling the cops." lol

You're right but the issue is that it doesn't sound like he has a NYC firearms permit hence as soon as he arrived in the NYC area with the firearm he had already committed a felony (per NYC laws).

It sucks but it is what it is. I have a CT permit but I know if I will need to cross the state line into NY for anything,  I leave my firearm at home.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

He should be well defended and the law should be applied to him the same as anyone else.   The 2nd amendment doesn't give him the right to break the law.

Right to Bear Arms

Passed by Congress September 25, 1789. Ratified December 15, 1791. The first 10 amendments form the Bill of Rights

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It's a RIGHT and not a privilege. NY's firearms laws are unconstitutional. 

• Post of the Week 2

I'm a card carrying member of the NRA. I believe firmly in the right to bear arms. I think all these stupid laws that blue states set up for concealed carry is just that - STUPID. However, I have no problem saying QW is an idiot that he didn't know the law. It was very dumb of him to be so careless about his carrying habits. 

I post this knowing full well I love in the state of Maine. Maine is a constitutional carry state. I have a loaded revolver in every room of my house and I travel with a pistol under the seat. I don't need a permit for anything.

3 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Right to Bear Arms

Passed by Congress September 25, 1789. Ratified December 15, 1791. The first 10 amendments form the Bill of Rights

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It's a RIGHT and not a privilege. NY's firearms laws are unconstitutional. 

Are you arguing that pistol ownership should require no more than proof of identity and residence, like voting?

8 hours ago, Biggs said:

By insane you mean they are working.  NY is one of the safest cities since they started enforcing gun laws.  That's despite legal gun dealers from out of State transporting them and selling them to illegal gun dealers in NY and elsewhere.

The facts are a little cloudy.  Are you suggesting he didn't have a gun in the metro area illegally with ammunition?  We have no idea if that's true or not.  All we know is he had a gun in Queens that wasn't loaded and was transporting it.

Great post, slight technical disagreement.  NYC always had tough gun laws, but the spectacular drop in murders occurred when surrounding states toughened their gun laws as well. Although it is still possible to travel further to a state with easy gun laws and transport them into NYC, making the criminals travel 300 miles or so instead of 15 miles to the next state to obtain their guns cut the murder rate in NYC from 2,200 in 1990 to less than 300 in 2018.

I'm not understanding the shift of sentiment here from some people. Now this is becoming, " he's not a bad kid, he tried to do the right thing, he had the gun packed away, it wasn't loaded..." Bla Bla

I'm not going to say he's a bad kid, I don't know him, and I'll give him the benefit I give everyone else, and say he's a good kid, but.... he broke the law, and this wasn't the first time.

A gun registered in Alabama doesn't magically appear in NY, it was transported there. That means the night he was arrested, it was at least the second time he crossed state lines with it, he probably did it more times then that.

It also means for however long he was up here, he was in possession of an illegal firearm in NY.

Those are all crimes. Was his intent to commit more crimes with that gun? No of course not, but that has nothing to do with any of this. As so many here have said, different states have different gun laws. Does his ignorance here excuse him for what happened? I think no, it's the opposite. As a licensed gun holder, his first responsibility is to know when and where he can be in possession of that gun.

Also, the gun being in his luggage doesn't mean it wasn't in his possession. It means it wasn't on his person. There is no distinction for that as far as I know.

Do I want to see them lock him up and throw away the Keys? Of course not, but I do think he is responsible for his actions, and should be treated the same way anyone else who commits this crime is. To me the gun being in his luggage doesn't change anything. The crime is being in possession of an illegal firearm in NYC.

• Upvote 3

They can't prove he was in possession of a loaded firearm in NY or NJ.

And they will let him off relatively lightly for carrying it into the airport. 

But he will face some music for possessing it in NY.  He could see jail.  

4 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Are you arguing that pistol ownership should require no more than proof of identity and residence, like voting?

We're getting close to a political discussion and I've vowed not to participate in politics's on a football forum. Cough - #VoterID - Cough.

Hey - what's the first amendment?  Hint - the second amendment ensures the .gov doesn't take away our first amendment rights. 

So, this is my final post on the subject of the Bill of Rights and the second amendment.