Quinnen Williams arrested for gun possession at JFK. (Update: Confirmed)

So if we’re using the playbook

next year Quinnen gets a DUI, “I’m so sorry for my mistake, I’m going to work hard and I’ll grow from this experience.”  After the 4 game suspension we’ll hear about how rededicated he is and then in the first game back he’ll break an ankle and be out for the year.  

Then doesn’t take his rehab seriously and comes back fat.  The following year he’ll flash a little, will get 3 sacks in the final game, “he’s turned the corner!” then we’ll barely give him the 5th year option and he either moves to selling weed or outplays what we can pay and signs elsewhere. 

The next draft we’ll draft another first round DL Because “he’s too good to pass up”

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

This is so meh to me. He's not a very good player and the team wouldn't  miss him one bit. It just shows he has no common sense. I know if I'm going to try to check my weapon in at a NYC airport or any airport for that matter I'm going to make sure I research all of the rules I need to follow beforehand. I hate the age excuse used to defend idiocy. It's 2020, all of the information you need to do anything in life is literally sitting in your pocket. Ignorance can not be used as an excuse anymore. 

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

thats not true. there is reciprocity between states. an AL license to carry is honored in maybe 25 other states, probably more. Of course, DUMB NY is not one of them. In NY you have a duty and an obligation to be attacked, get your face smashed in until your nose crushed before you have a right to defend yourself without fear of charges.

I think that’s just mostly you. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I hated him as a prospect almost as much as I hated Gase as a candidate. Of course we get both. 

Not ready to give up on him yet, but I don’t believe he’ll be anything more than a low-level rotational player for us next season, so yea, essentially it’s a wash. If he showed progress in the weight room and in practices and as he grew up a little more, I think he might turn into an overpaid solid role player, but that’s years 3 and 4, similar to Leo. 

I am completely with you. The guy I least wanted in the draft: QW. We select him. The "no way the Jets actually sign that loser" HC candidate: Gase. We sign him.

I mean the incompetence level of the Jets and their exceedingly dubious decision making is just epic bad.

• Upvote 1

And NYC laws are much stricter than the rest of the State. You can not even carry a gun in NYC even if you have a carry permit in another part of the State. You have to get a special waiver to be able to carry in nyc.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Joe Douglas' first error in judgment as the Jets GM was not taking that "blockbuster" trade package for Quinnen Williams at the trade deadline last season. It was his chance to acquire more draft capital for the non-difference maker chubby faced slacker. He didn't draft him, and now we will have to await the 4 game suspension most definitely coming for Quinnen. Trade him on draft day for a 1st rd pick in 2020 and be done with him. 

26M cap hit.  Trading him was never realistic.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Then how do you explain the murder rate in Chicago which has gone thru the roof ? Similar very strict gun laws there as in NYC. 

Very explainable, it has to do with the availability of guns nearby in other states.

Placeholder Image

Chicago Police Department Superintendent Eddie Johnson speaks at the release of the Gun Trace report at police department headquarters on Sunday, October 29. (Credit: Timothy McLaughlin)

·October 29, 2017

A Quarter of Chicago’s Crime Guns Were Sold By Just Ten Dealers

This story was updated to include comment from Midwest Sporting Goods.

CHICAGO — A small number of gun stores located in suburban Illinois and neighboring states, like Indiana, are responsible for selling a disproportionate number of guns used to commit crimes in the city of Chicago, a report released on Sunday said.

The city’s second Gun Trace Report, based on trace data from 2013 to 2016, found that 10 gun stores accounted for almost 25 percent of the roughly 15,000 crime guns recovered by the Chicago Police Department (CPD). The report was a collaboration between the Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s office, the CPD and the University of Chicago Crime Lab.

“In an unfortunate but persistent reality, certain retailers and jurisdictions disproportionately account for the guns trafficked into Chicago that sustain its illegal gun market and associated violent crime,” the report said.

The term crime gun refers to a firearm recovered by Chicago police that was illegally possessed, used, or suspected to be used in committing a crime.

Guns found at Chicago crime scenes were first sold by about 5,000 federally licensed dealers from across the United States, but most guns were sourced to Illinois retailers and those in adjoining states.

The two single largest sources of Chicago crime guns over the four years covered by the report were dealers well known to authorities and to antiviolence activists. Almost a thousand guns that turned up at crime scenes were linked to Chuck’s Gun Shop located on Chicago’s Southeast Side in the suburb of Riverdale. Midwest Sporting Goods on the West Side in the suburb of Lyons supplied nearly 700 crime guns.  

The two stores “provide a strikingly large portion of the total number of traceable crime guns,” the report said. The shops were the retail source of more than one in 10 crime guns recovered in Chicago.

Chuck’s was closed on Sunday and could not be reached for comment. The shop’s owner, John Riggio, has previously declined repeated requests for comment from The Trace.

The data used in the report “seems exaggerated,” Midwest Sporting Goods said in an emailed statement on Monday. The shop said it attempted to access the data used to compile the city’s previous trace report, issued in 2014, but said that, after a lengthy process of filing Freedom of Information Act requests it described as a “runaround,” it did not receive a response from the CPD.

Chicago suffered through a surge in deadly gun violence last year, with over 762 killed, a two-decade high. Around 90 percent of those homicides were committed with a firearm. The number of murders has fallen slightly to 569 from 613 over the same period last year, according to police data.

Chicago police seized just under 7,000 illegal guns per year over the past four years. In 2016, when adjusted for population, the city recovered six times as many guns per capita as New York and 1.5 times as many guns per capita as Los Angeles. More than 90 percent of crime gun recoveries were handguns.

The city’s continued struggle to address gun crime has made it a frequent target for President Donald Trump, his administration and conservative commentators, who have singled out the city as having tough gun laws that fail to curb crime.

At a news conference on Sunday, Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson rebuffed the claim that the city’s restrictive gun laws somehow contributed to the violence.

“This national narrative about Chicago, a lot of it is factually incorrect,” Johnson said. “Somebody from Chicago can go across the border to a gun show and fill up a duffel bag full of guns and bring them back into the city with no oversight. So that hurts us.”

Johnson said the passage of the Gun Dealer Licensing Act could put a dent in gun crime. The bill, which was passed by the Democrat-controlled State Senate in late April and is now in the House, would crack down on gun stores by requiring video surveillance of sales areas inside shops to deter straw purchasing, as well as background checks and training of employees.

Emanuel passed a similar ordinance for the city of Chicago in 2014, and the city remains without a gun store. Last year, Illinois adopted a bill targeting repeated gun offenders.

The National Rifle Association opposes the gun dealer bill, saying it creates, “onerous mandatory regulations, fees potentially in the thousands of dollars and excessive amounts of red tape”  that would force the closure of gun shops and prevent new ones from opening.

In 2015, Lyons passed an ordinance requiring Midwest Sporting Goods to maintain a “do not sell” list of customers whose weapons have been traced to a crime. In its statement, the shop said it has worked with the municipality to comply with the regulations. The gun store complies, the statement said, with all trace requests and refers any suspected straw purchasers to the police.

Just over 40 percent of traceable crime guns recovered in Chicago were sold by an Illinois dealer, the report said, followed by neighboring Indiana, which accounted for 21 percent of recovered crime guns. Three of the top 10 source dealers were located in Indiana in the cities of Hammond, Gary, and Griffith, all of which are just over the the state line from Illinois.

The third-highest contributing state was Mississippi.

Timothy McLaughlinv

https://www.thetrace.org/rounds/quarter-chicagos-crime-guns-sold-just-ten-dealers/

New York is surrounded by states which also have tough gun laws, so New York criminals cannot easily obtain guns from nearby states.  Chicago is surrounded by states and in-state towns with much more lax gun laws.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am completely with you. The guy I least wanted in the draft: QW. We select him. The "no way the Jets actually sign that loser" HC candidate: Gase. We sign him.

I mean the incompetence level of the Jets and their exceedingly dubious decision making is just epic bad.

Its even worse than this.  

One of the reasons that they drafted him was that he was a nice kid who wouldn't get into trouble.  And he does this?

Can he be cut relatively harmlessly after being such a bonehead?

On another note, I am 55 years old and put on muscle and get leaner when I work out and eat right.  I don't have a trainer or nutritionist.  He better be in better shape now than he was a year ago.  

• Sympathy 1

in reality an unloaded weapon in a suitcase is not much help in an Immediate must defend yourself situation. he's not quite rich enough to afford paid person private security, but you would think going to an airport is one of the safest places in the US you could go at a given moment. If i were him I would have shipped the weapon overnight using a FedEx or however it is properly done (I'm not 100 percent sure).

In the future he should really consider getting rid of his weapons. I understand public figures maybe are at a higher risk of being robbed because they have money (even though it doesn't mean they walk around with it) but lets say if he was robbed before he got to the airport, his unloaded weapon wouldn't have done sh*t for him. Maybe even got him killed if he went for it.

its just not worth it. But its hard to tell a young man who has some money what to do, they tend to need to learn these things on their own. 

29 minutes ago, David Harris said:

The next draft we’ll draft another first round DL Because “he’s too good to pass up”

My guess is Derrick Brown and his agent are celebrating now that the Jets are back in the DT game.  

• Haha 2

There are TSA rules about how to check in firearms and ammunition when boarding a plane

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/firearms

The bigger problem is having his gun in NYC. NYC has no reciprocity with other states to honor their permits/licenses. If he doesn't have a permit for NYC or NJ, that's a problem.

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

There are TSA rules about how to check in firearms and ammunition when boarding a plane

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/firearms

The bigger problem is having his gun in NYC. NYC has no reciprocity with other states to honor their permits/licenses. If he doesn't have a permit for NYC or NJ, that's a problem.

You can easily see a guy like Quinnen worried about his or his family's safety given the money that has been paid to him.  It is reasonable for him to want a gun for his protection, particulary back in Alabama where, believe it or not, the police are not as actively involved protecting people.  That is why people there carry weapons.  

But not only did he try to bring the gun on a plane at LGA, but he must have had possession of it in NYC, maybe NYS and likely NJ.   That is the bigger issue. 

He does not seem to me to be an original thinker.  How many other Jets are walking around Florham Park with guns they brought from home?  Are the Jets counseling these people?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Bro, this is THE WORST TAKE I have ever read on this board. 

Go clutch your Pearls elsewhere. Wow. 

He ****ed up, hes a total moron, and hes going to get suspended....but Rae Carruth? Really? Get a grip . 

I'm currently armed in compliance with my CCW permit. Am I Rae Carruth as well? GTFO.

I have a conceal carry, have 3 pistols.  I obey the law.  That said.. Im willing to wager Quinen Williams will be the next Leo.

Top players are focused. He is an absentee football player in my mind, showed NO energy and now this?

He will be another Quinton Coples who "The majority of fans" defended for about 3 years.  

• Upvote 1

Very explainable, it has to do with the availability of guns nearby in other states.
IMG_5254-1920x1000-c-top.jpg&key=771356b67e22c3ecdeb02e9ebab0ba27e40b5e4a66c7c36081ddf9a9fbab6b2c Chicago Police Department Superintendent Eddie Johnson speaks at the release of the Gun Trace report at police department headquarters on Sunday, October 29. (Credit: Timothy McLaughlin)
Rounds ·October 29, 2017

CHICAGO — A small number of gun stores located in suburban Illinois and neighboring states, like Indiana, are responsible for selling a disproportionate number of guns used to commit crimes in the city of Chicago, a report released on Sunday said.
The city’s second Gun Trace Report, based on trace data from 2013 to 2016, found that 10 gun stores accounted for almost 25 percent of the roughly 15,000 crime guns recovered by the Chicago Police Department (CPD). The report was a collaboration between the Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s office, the CPD and the University of Chicago Crime Lab.
“In an unfortunate but persistent reality, certain retailers and jurisdictions disproportionately account for the guns trafficked into Chicago that sustain its illegal gun market and associated violent crime,” the report said.
The term crime gun refers to a firearm recovered by Chicago police that was illegally possessed, used, or suspected to be used in committing a crime.
Guns found at Chicago crime scenes were first sold by about 5,000 federally licensed dealers from across the United States, but most guns were sourced to Illinois retailers and those in adjoining states.
The two single largest sources of Chicago crime guns over the four years covered by the report were dealers well known to authorities and to antiviolence activists. Almost a thousand guns that turned up at crime scenes were linked to Chuck’s Gun Shop located on Chicago’s Southeast Side in the suburb of Riverdale. Midwest Sporting Goods on the West Side in the suburb of Lyons supplied nearly 700 crime guns.  
The two stores “provide a strikingly large portion of the total number of traceable crime guns,” the report said. The shops were the retail source of more than one in 10 crime guns recovered in Chicago.
Chuck’s was closed on Sunday and could not be reached for comment. The shop’s owner, John Riggio, has previously declined repeated requests for comment from The Trace.
The data used in the report “seems exaggerated,” Midwest Sporting Goods said in an emailed statement on Monday. The shop said it attempted to access the data used to compile the city’s previous trace report, issued in 2014, but said that, after a lengthy process of filing Freedom of Information Act requests it described as a “runaround,” it did not receive a response from the CPD.
Chicago suffered through a surge in deadly gun violence last year, with over 762 killed, a two-decade high. Around 90 percent of those homicides were committed with a firearm. The number of murders has fallen slightly to 569 from 613 over the same period last year, according to police data.
 Chicago police seized just under 7,000 illegal guns per year over the past four years. In 2016, when adjusted for population, the city recovered six times as many guns per capita as New York and 1.5 times as many guns per capita as Los Angeles. More than 90 percent of crime gun recoveries were handguns.
The city’s continued struggle to address gun crime has made it a frequent target for President Donald Trump, his administration and conservative commentators, who have singled out the city as having tough gun laws that fail to curb crime.
At a news conference on Sunday, Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson rebuffed the claim that the city’s restrictive gun laws somehow contributed to the violence.
“This national narrative about Chicago, a lot of it is factually incorrect,” Johnson said. “Somebody from Chicago can go across the border to a gun show and fill up a duffel bag full of guns and bring them back into the city with no oversight. So that hurts us.”
Johnson said the passage of the Gun Dealer Licensing Act could put a dent in gun crime. The bill, which was passed by the Democrat-controlled State Senate in late April and is now in the House, would crack down on gun stores by requiring video surveillance of sales areas inside shops to deter straw purchasing, as well as background checks and training of employees.
Emanuel passed a similar ordinance for the city of Chicago in 2014, and the city remains without a gun store. Last year, Illinois adopted a bill targeting repeated gun offenders.
The National Rifle Association opposes the gun dealer bill, saying it creates, “onerous mandatory regulations, fees potentially in the thousands of dollars and excessive amounts of red tape”  that would force the closure of gun shops and prevent new ones from opening.
In 2015, Lyons passed an ordinance requiring Midwest Sporting Goods to maintain a “do not sell” list of customers whose weapons have been traced to a crime. In its statement, the shop said it has worked with the municipality to comply with the regulations. The gun store complies, the statement said, with all trace requests and refers any suspected straw purchasers to the police.
Just over 40 percent of traceable crime guns recovered in Chicago were sold by an Illinois dealer, the report said, followed by neighboring Indiana, which accounted for 21 percent of recovered crime guns. Three of the top 10 source dealers were located in Indiana in the cities of Hammond, Gary, and Griffith, all of which are just over the the state line from Illinois.
Timothy McLaughlinv
https://www.thetrace.org/rounds/quarter-chicagos-crime-guns-sold-just-ten-dealers/

New York is surrounded by states which also have tough gun laws, so New York criminals cannot easily obtain guns from nearby states.  Chicago is surrounded by states with much more lax gun laws.

Give me a break. Its high in every place the gun laws are like they are in New York. One of the many reasons NYC is a sh*thole now.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

IMG_5254-1920x1000-c-top.jpg&key=771356b67e22c3ecdeb02e9ebab0ba27e40b5e4a66c7c36081ddf9a9fbab6b2c Chicago Police Department Superintendent Eddie Johnson speaks at the release of the Gun Trace report at police department headquarters on Sunday, October 29. (Credit: Timothy McLaughlin)
Rounds ·October 29, 2017

Timothy McLaughlinv

New York is surrounded by states which also have tough gun laws, so New York criminals cannot easily obtain guns from nearby states.  Chicago is surrounded by states with much more lax gun laws.

Give me a break. Its high in every place the gun laws are like they are in New York. One of the many reasons NYC is a sh*thole now.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Didn't this kid pay an agent 10% of his first contract to advise him? Does he have parents?

His mom died when he was in high school.   He’s a dumb jock. Hopefully, it doesn’t happen again.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Placeholder Image

Chicago Police Department Superintendent Eddie Johnson speaks at the release of the Gun Trace report at police department headquarters on Sunday, October 29. (Credit: Timothy McLaughlin)

·October 29, 2017

Timothy McLaughlinv

Read the Chuck's Gun Shop article. Interesting about the "straw" purchases. THOSE are the people who the cops need to go after. You buy a gun it's YOUR responsibility. If you give it to a thug who uses it in a crime, YOU should be doing time.

Going after the gun manufacturers is totally stupid. It's like suing GM or Chrysler for a drunk driver killing someone.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't rip on the kid for being a licensed gun owner.  He's an idiot, but he doesn't seem like a bad kid.  I could be wrong. 

But to compare him to Rae Carruth?  Come on now.  I hope you were being facetious here.  You live n North Carolina.  If being a licensed gun owner were a pre-requisite for being a bad person, you'd hate a lot of people you come into contact with regularly.  

I did not compare him to Rae Caruth.  I compare all you who give him a pass to Rae Caruths mom (yes, it's extreme).  This is serious bad behavior.   There is no room for "He is a good boy" commentary. He is a below average player showing NO care for the Jets or his future.  I carry a gun. That's not the issue.  This kid is fat, lazy and shows no responsibility. This kid is Quinten Coples reincarnated @HighPitch

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

You can easily see a guy like Quinnen worried about his or his family's safety given the money that has been paid to him.  It is reasonable for him to want a gun for his protection, particulary back in Alabama where, believe it or not, the police are not as actively involved protecting people.  That is why people there carry weapons.  

But not only did he try to bring the gun on a plane at LGA, but he must have had possession of it in NYC, maybe NYS and likely NJ.   That is the bigger issue. 

He does not seem to me to be an original thinker.  How many other Jets are walking around Florham Park with guns they brought from home?  Are the Jets counseling these people?

The part that can get people confused is that there is a law which allows a person to transport a firearm (unloaded and locked in a case in a vehicle) thru a state where they do not have a permit or license as long as you are allowed to legally own the firearm in the state from where you came from and the state where you are going. Now, even with that, you don't want to stop (ex overnight stay or even flight layover) in a state where you are not licensed. You are just allowed to transport thru legally.

Ex. I have a CT permit and a FL permit. I can drive between those states without risk as long as I obey storage laws. I can only stop in a state that has reciprocity and honors one of those permits.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Wow. What a moron. How many games will he be suspended for? At least four and since it's the Jets probably six to eight.

Total moron. Why does a guy his size need a gun other than in his house for home defense.

A lot of the southern and southwestern states have a gun culture.  Just like taking your favorite mobile device with you.  Some people don't give it anymore thought than that.  It is an accessory that you are used to taking along with the rest of your outfit...