Jeudy or Ruggs? Who will it Be?

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Lamb’s combine was generally underwhelming at my first glance. 

His ten yard split on the 40 was the second fastest in the draft to Ruggs.

Found it interesting. Indicates elite acceleration and you do seem him run away from guys in short areas.

True, but how does he handle press coverage? 

Jeudy is an elite route runner. That is not a track trait but a football trait. He also has a great release from from the LOS and can work his defender. 

Lamb may have the higher ceiling but Jeudy is the safer pick. Lamb has that initial acceleration but Jeudy has the long speed. 

Just now, BigRy56 said:

Jerry Jeudy - don't overthink it. The guy is the real deal

I wouldn’t be upset in the slightest with any of the consensus Top 3 wideouts. They all bring a different skill set to the table. But I can certainly see why many would favor Jeudy.

The guy is a phenomenal route runner and knows all of the little intricacies of the position. He’d give Darnold a guy that he can always rely on to be in the right place at the right time.

He’s also pretty damn electric in the open field.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I think it’s entirely possible

The first OT probably goes off the board to the Giants at #4. Their top priority has to be protecting Daniel Jones. Especially since he puts the ball on the ground every time he’s so much as sneezed on.

Then you still have the Chargers, Cardinals, and Browns picking ahead of the Jets who all have a big need at OT. There’s also the possibility that a team like Denver could move up ahead of the Jets to grab one.

I think it’s the unlikely scenario, although technically possible. 

I think the Chargers are going QB.  The Browns, Cardinals and Giants are all possible to take an OT. And it’s highly unlikely that Wills is there at our pick, admittedly. 

If, for some reason, we’re stuck at 11 with all 4 OT’s off the board, we must trade down to a team looking for one of the WR’s. We’ll get a second tier tackle later in the first/second along with a second tier WR (or multiple).  

I don’t think it’s responsible to come away from this draft without a top 6/7 tackle - Johnson, Jackson are second tier. Peart is 3rd tier. We need one of them or one of the top 4. 

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

True, but how does he handle press coverage? 

Jeudy is an elite route runner. That is not a track trait but a football trait. He also has a great release from from the LOS and can work his defender. 

Lamb may have the higher ceiling but Jeudy is the safer pick. Lamb has that initial acceleration but Jeudy has the long speed. 

I realize this is incredibly biased but Jeudy looks like he’s going to get broken in half. And he’s all legs. The route running is nice but I think his ceiling is Amari Cooper.

I’m actually not a big fan of Jeudy or Lamb, especially at eleven. I did find the acceleration interesting. Denzel Mims and Justin Jefferson are the two guys I trust most to translate in this draft class and both would likely require less draft capital than Jeudy or Lamb anyway.

42 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I personally don't think it's close that Juedy is the top WR in this class. 

I understand but if I'm projecting to the NEXT level, I think Ruggs has more upside.  He is a better athlete, his hands are just as good if not better, he has tremendous leaping ability and we already know about his speed.   If you think about todays' pass happy NFL, Ruggs is the better choice. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

I understand but if I'm projecting to the NEXT level, I think Ruggs has more upside.  He is a better athlete, his hands are just as good if not better, he has tremendous leaping ability and we already know about his speed.   If you think about todays' pass happy NFL, Ruggs is the better choice. 

I agree, but i wouldn’t mind a trade back and then taking Jefferson.  

• Upvote 1

If it's between jeudy or Ruggs, it's jeudy all day. It's not even debatable IMO. They played on the same team with the same qb. Jeudy had 2400 yards and 24 tds in 2 years. Ruggs never topped 750 yards receiving in a season.

Plus I would never draft a wr under 6 ft in the first rd. How many WRs under 6 ft are true number 1 wrs? Tyreek hill, and AB?  And neither were 1st Rd picks.

Ultimately I don't think it matters tho. Douglas is going to take a Tackle if 1 of the big 4 is there at 11. If not I could see him trading back with the eagles. 

• Upvote 1

Jeudy-Ruggs-Lamb-Jefferson are all quality 1st round picks.  Trading down a few spots to pick up a 3rd, and you can still get one of these guys.  Or else take one at 11 and be done with it.

Jeudy is an elite route runner with superb separation skills.  But more suited to replace Robby as a #2.  Ruggs is faster then a speedy bullet.  With huge hands (10 1/8") and tough as nails.  And the more likely available choice if JD trades back some.

Jets need to come out of this draft with two potential WR starters.  And at least one of them to start this year alongside a vet. 

IMO...a 1st used for a receiver is a realistic scenario now.  With an OT possibly being picked in the 2nd.  

I don't know how JD is reading this draft.  For him it could be OT at #11 no matter what.  Or he could be itching for a trade down for more picks in the top 3 rounds.  Where many analysts feel is loaded with potential starters.

2 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Jeudy-Ruggs-Lamb-Jefferson are all quality 1st round picks.  Trading down a few spots to pick up a 3rd, and you can still get one of these guys.  Or else take one at 11 and be done with it.

Jeudy is an elite route runner with superb separation skills.  But more suited to replace Robby as a #2.  Ruggs is faster then a speedy bullet.  With huge hands (10 1/8") and tough as nails.  And the more likely available choice if JD trades back some.

Jets need to come out of this draft with two potential WR starters.  And at least one of them to start this year alongside a vet. 

IMO...a 1st used for a receiver is a realistic scenario now.  With an OT possibly being picked in the 2nd.  

I don't know how JD is reading this draft.  For him it could be OT at #11 no matter what.  Or he could be itching for a trade down for more picks in the top 3 rounds.  Where many analysts feel is loaded with potential starters.

If you try some of the online mock draft simulators, it seems like even the "tier 2" OTs don't make it to us in round 2 . 

I think (at this point) we should still go OT at #11 if 1 of the top 4 falls to us and go WR in round 2 and maybe again in round 3. 

• Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

If it's between jeudy or Ruggs, it's jeudy all day. It's not even debatable IMO. They played on the same team with the same qb. Jeudy had 2400 yards and 24 tds in 2 years. Ruggs never topped 750 yards receiving in a season.

Plus I would never draft a wr under 6 ft in the first rd. How many WRs under 6 ft are true number 1 wrs? Tyreek hill, and AB?  And neither were 1st Rd picks.

Ultimately I don't think it matters tho. Douglas is going to take a Tackle if 1 of the big 4 is there at 11. If not I could see him trading back with the eagles. 

I like when someone says, its not even debatable because it is debatable.  You ever heard of Odell Beckham Jr.?  He is 5'11.  That is the kind of ability Ruggs has demonstrated.  Sometimes you have to LOOK AT THE PLAYER.  NOT STATS, NOT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE PAST, BUT THE PLAYER AND WHAT THEY CAN DO. Obviously Jeudy was the go to guy plus they had other options with Smith and Waddle.   Watch the way Ruggs plays, he high points the ball better than Jeudy, his hands are just as good, he is improving as a route runner and the bottom line is HE IS BLAZING FAST, with incredible acceleration.  I like Jeudy and believe he has all pro ability but Ruggs is the kind of player that projects to be a much better pro than college player.  If the Jets don't take Ruggs he is not getting past the Broncos at 15 and may not get past the Raiders at 12.   If you think it is not even debatable you are kidding yourself. 

• Upvote 2

I have this weird feeling that JD is still going to sign another offense lineman before the draft, or maybe right after the draft. I’m thinking Peters.  If that’s the case then I could totally see us taking a wide receiver with our first pick. I’m in love with Cee Dee Lamb!  It’s a healthy, somewhat sweaty, BUT RESPECTFUL love..

2 minutes ago, Lil O said:

I have this weird feeling that JD is still going to sign another offense lineman before the draft, or maybe right after the draft. I’m thinking Peters.  If that’s the case then I could totally see us taking a wide receiver with our first pick. I’m in love with Cee Dee Lamb!  It’s a healthy, somewhat sweaty, BUT RESPECTFUL love..

I also think so, which would allow him to take a wr in the first and draft an OT in the 2nd and not throw that guy in right away if he’s not ready.  

• Upvote 1

If Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs and Jefferson are all legitimate #1 WRs (as far as you can project pre-draft), and none are off the board at our pick at #11 (assuming there is no OT we really love), then I would think a trade down to the mid-to-late teems would be very compelling if we could pull it off.  There could be a run on them, but you should be able to drop to between 15 and 18 and still have at least one if not two on the board still.  Moving down to ATL (#16) or DAL (#17) should be worth at least a third this year and next, give or take, or possibly a 2nd if the right player is still available.  We could then possibly use one of our three 3rd-round picks to move up and grab a stronger OL in the 2nd.  So many ways this could play out.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I wouldn’t be upset in the slightest with any of the consensus Top 3 wideouts. They all bring a different skill set to the table. But I can certainly see why many would favor Jeudy.

The guy is a phenomenal route runner and knows all of the little intricacies of the position. He’d give Darnold a guy that he can always rely on to be in the right place at the right time.

He’s also pretty damn electric in the open field.

Murray will bang the table for Jeudy.  Besides we taking an OL or else. 

27 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I also think so, which would allow him to take a wr in the first and draft an OT in the 2nd and not throw that guy in right away if he’s not ready.  

Yep.  I think JD has a plan...or planZ!

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

If you try some of the online mock draft simulators, it seems like even the "tier 2" OTs don't make it to us in round 2 . 

I think (at this point) we should still go OT at #11 if 1 of the top 4 falls to us and go WR in round 2 and maybe again in round 3. 

Another possibility...one that I truly wish would happen...  

JD trades down into the 21st spot (for Eagles 2nd, #53, and 3rd, #88)  and takes quick and athletic OT Ezra Cleveland with 1st pick.  In the 2nd take a WR out of Higgins,  Mims or Pittman.  In the 3rd maybe Shenault, Duvernay, Peoples-Jones, or Claypool.  

If Philly doesn't want to trade their 3rd, then maybe they give us a decent depth player instead.

Everything depends on how JD reads this draft.  A month from now...we're gonna find out.   

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I like when someone says, its not even debatable because it is debatable.  You ever heard of Odell Beckham Jr.?  He is 5'11.  That is the kind of ability Ruggs has demonstrated.  Sometimes you have to LOOK AT THE PLAYER.  NOT STATS, NOT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE PAST, BUT THE PLAYER AND WHAT THEY CAN DO. Obviously Jeudy was the go to guy plus they had other options with Smith and Waddle.   Watch the way Ruggs plays, he high points the ball better than Jeudy, his hands are just as good, he is improving as a route runner and the bottom line is HE IS BLAZING FAST, with incredible acceleration.  I like Jeudy and believe he has all pro ability but Ruggs is the kind of player that projects to be a much better pro than college player.  If the Jets don't take Ruggs he is not getting past the Broncos at 15 and may not get past the Raiders at 12.   If you think it is not even debatable you are kidding yourself. 

Well I have see a ton of analyst and websites saying jeudy is the best wr in the draft. I haven't seen anyone saying that Ruggs is the best wr in the draft. Plus there is a reason that jeudy was the number 1 option in that offense and not ruggs. It's because he's a better player.

Im assuming you think he will be as productive as ODB. I think Odell was a way better prospect. Just my opinion.

4 hours ago, JetBlue said:

And yet somehow Saban had Jeudy as the #1 at Alabama

The assumption being that the elite LT prospects are gone, who do you go with?  I didn't add Lamb because of his lack of speed (4.51 at the combine) and somewhat subpar route running.  If I'm picking a receiver at 11, I want the most explosive.    Jeudy ran a respectable 4.45 and reminds me a little of Jerry Rice as he plays faster than he times.  Ruggs is faster and also shown the ability to go up and high point the ball.  I have not see Jeudy do that; not saying that he can't be I don't recall seeing him go up and take a ball away from a defender.   However, his Route running is true thing of beauty.....   For me if everything somewhat equal, I go with...........  SPEED.  Ruggs III welcome to the Jets! 

I don’t think all the top tackles will be gone. Most mocks have us getting the kid from GA. I’ve been trying to asses who’s the #6!rated receiver since we will probably take one in the second round. But we have a crappy history with our 2nd Round picks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

imo they go wr if the top tackle prospects are gone by pick 11.  i'm too lazy to check back on draft history but it would be interesting to see if 4 or 5 tackles were picked before 11.  this draft also has 3 or 4 top qb prospects and the 2 top wr guys.  not to mention the edge.  that's already 10-12 top rated guys who can go.  there are always other players and positions that make it into the top 10.

16 hours ago, Tinstar said:

If I can’t secure a trade down option then it’s Ruggs all day . I would prefer a trade down with the opportunity to acquire Jefferson and Jackson . I’m a War Eagle fan so Mims is also an option in a trade down also

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

love the trade down and taking a T, but if it IS a WR after a trade down I'm going Jefferson or Mims. I love Shenault the most as a player, but his injury history and playing style scare me. He may not be available for long stretches of his career.