Draft Rumors

SR24

9 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:
#Jets draft factoid of the day: They have drafted 15 CBs since 2000, and only two have started more than 20 games — Darrelle Revis + Kyle Wilson. Remains a need. 2nd/3rd round options: Kristian Fulton, Noah Igbinoghene, Damon Arnette, Amik Robertson, Cam Dantzler, Bryce Hall.

Love Bryce Hall and Cam Dantzler for us at 79 or 120. 

2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Damien woody has been a big supporter of Jackson, for what that’s worth. 

He's very long and athletic so I think he projects better than some of his tape. Amazing backstory for what he did for his sister donating his marrow. I believe it was NBC that had a terrific piece with him.....they also highlighted what Yetur Gross Matos and Ruggs went through. You can't help but pull for guys like this.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

49ers do not have the right picks to be a viable partner for us. I don't think they own a third and they won't give up a second so they would have to tap into future picks which are nice but don't help us win games now

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

They don't have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th.  It's gonna be tough for them to trade up unless they overpay with next years picks.  They will be looking to trade down for sure. 

38 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

@GREENBEAN any info on this Alex Highsmith player? According to Pauline Jets are interested in later rounds 

I'd be lying if I said I know all that much about him. From what I understand he's a late round pick or even potential UDFA. I think he does get drafted though.  I looked into him when I was going through DE's about a month ago I think it was.  Not much to say from my end unfortunately. 

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think some will be.  Some will probably going for CB maybe.  Maybe someone for a QB.  

The 3 most consistent rumors for trade ups are Denver moving up for ruggs, atl moving into the top 10 for a cb, and TB moving up for an OL.  When it all shakes out, we’ll all be sitting in front of the tv or computer watching the jets on the clock when at least Becton or wills if not both are available as are lamb, jeudy and perhaps even ruggs, and then it will get interesting.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

The most terrifying part of this video is that I can think of at least 5-6 worse plays from the top of my head.

The "protection" during the Browns game with Siemian was criminal. I remember Osemele sitting still as two guys went past him touched. It was like he missed the block on the first guy so why bother with the second?

We need a total revamp on the line. Has to be the 1st round pick. Only consider WR if the top 4 are gone or Douglas just really doesn't like what's there.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Might be my favorite small school prospect in the draft.

I think he could potentially come in Day 1 and take the majority of the snaps opposite Jenkins.

The fact that the Steelers are supposedly interested sold me. Probably the best judge of pass rushers in the league.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Too lazy to paste both tweets, but Rapsheet reporting both the Panthers and Cardinals looking to trade back potentially.

I could definitely see Arizona trading back.  They don’t have a lot picks in the first 5 rounds.  They could use an OT or a D-line prospect bad.  Trading back could get them either one.   Makes a lot of sense for them.  

4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The most terrifying part of this video is that I can think of at least 5-6 worse plays from the top of my head.

The "protection" during the Browns game with Siemian was criminal. I remember Osemele sitting still as two guys went past him touched. It was like he missed the block on the first guy so why bother with the second?

We need a total revamp on the line. Has to be the 1st round pick. Only consider WR if the top 4 are gone or Douglas just really doesn't like what's there.  

I understand the line sucked last year but the Jets could draft no offensive linemen and have three guys not on that line starting and at least one at a different position. I’m not advocating for that - but looking at last year’s OL and saying an overhaul is needed is a little confusing to me. It’s underway. 

For clarity I agree 100% with your last sentence but I think the last bit is more nontrivial than it gets credit for around here. And even then I’d be most inclined to trade down and still target a tackle.

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

This is everything. Anyone saying anything about Sam and his lack of proving to be a franchise QB needs to Cool their jets(pun fun).  Even the rare plays where he had time were tainted with knowing this was possible at any moment. That's what the seeing Ghosts crap was all about.  

We need to see what this kid can do after he gains some trust in an NFL caliber OL. Then we can talk about Sam making players around him better and all that jazz. 

I agree we need to go there in the first, but let's not discount the fact that we signed FOUR offensive lineman already with the only question mark being Fant. It's as if most people just disregard this and those are the guys that have NFL experience and have already updgraded our line in a big way - especially regarding the pressure up the middle. Plug a first rounder in and we should be really solid. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I could definitely see Arizona trading back.  They don’t have a lot picks in the first 5 rounds.  They could use an OT or a D-line prospect bad.  Trading back could get them either one.   Makes a lot of sense for them.  

Two things.....1) from our perspective, as long as they don't trade back with Cleveland?2) maybe more interesting, are we missing something here?  This would make 5 of the top 10 teams looking to potentially move back. I know this is a very deep draft, but does that also mean that other than Burrow, Young and probably Simmons, the rest of these projected top 10 guys aren't any better than the mid to late 1st round or top of 2nd guys?

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Two things.....1) from our perspective, as long as they don't trade back with Cleveland?2) maybe more interesting, are we missing something here?  This would make 5 of the top 10 teams looking to potentially move back. I know this is a very deep draft, but does that also mean that other than Burrow, Young and probably Simmons, the rest of these projected top 10 guys aren't any better than the mid to late 1st round or top of 2nd guys?

I think there is a greater separation from the top 4 OTs than the top 3 WRs.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

We've heard about every team in the top 11 talking at some point about trading back. Outside of maybe the Bengals. 

Teams would be foolish to not consider trading back IF the price is right. The only time you can't consider trading back is if you need a QB and one may be sitting there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Seems like that, although Jackson and Peart(Uconn) are getting more and more love.

I would be surprised if Peart went in the first, sounds like a lot of people think Jackson will.   We’ll see, I think there will be some really surprising selections especially from picks 20-32. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, derp said:

I understand the line sucked last year but the Jets could draft no offensive linemen and have three guys not on that line starting and at least one at a different position. I’m not advocating for that - but looking at last year’s OL and saying an overhaul is needed is a little confusing to me. It’s underway. 

For clarity I agree 100% with your last sentence but I think the last bit is more nontrivial than it gets credit for around here. And even then I’d be most inclined to trade down and still target a tackle.

I understand and while it is at least an overhaul it's still incredibly short. Beachum was actually a guy a lot would have taken back. Not sure Fant is an upgrade. When I say revamp I mean the quality as well as the quantity. Our whole mentality towards the OL has been negligent beyond the belief for over a decade. 

McGovern aside, the guys we've brought in aren't exactly top 10-20 guys and given their deals it's 50:50 as to whether they'll be here longer than a season. 

Trading down is never easy. It seems to be the top choice in just about 90% of the drafts I've seen on here. Even then we could end up missing out on the one we go down for. I think there's clearly 4 who present value at 11 - Douglas may have it differently - But in terms of positional need there's nothing close to OT. This is more directed to those who think our WR situation is as pressing as the OL. They're both bottom 5 groups IMO but the line is just so much more important. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

I would be surprised if Peart went in the first, sounds like a lot of people think Jackson will.   We’ll see, I think there will be some really surprising selections especially from picks 20-32. 

You have a guy close to Alabama...any traction to that story reported yesterday about a possible Jeudy injury?

22 minutes ago, section314 said:

Seems like that, although Jackson and Peart(Uconn) are getting more and more love.

I get the urgency on the OL, but if the board falls in such a way that a WR is graded significantly higher than their top OT, they've got to take that WR if they can't trade down (and maybe they wouldn't want to!). While that would lead a lot of fans here to their nearest ledge, I think they could be drawn back indoors if the Jets landed any of Cleveland/Jones/Jackson in the second and followed up with Peart or that Prince dude in the third. All of a sudden, the OL and WR groups would both look a lot better with a third day of the draft still to go. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Might be my favorite small school prospect in the draft.

I think he could potentially come in Day 1 and take the majority of the snaps opposite Jenkins.

Him in the 4th would be a good spot for us. Not too high, without risking losing him by our 5th.

4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I understand and while it is at least an overhaul it's still incredibly short. Beachum was actually a guy a lot would have taken back. Not sure Fant is an upgrade. When I say revamp I mean the quality as well as the quantity. Our whole mentality towards the OL has been negligent beyond the belief for over a decade. 

McGovern aside, the guys we've brought in aren't exactly top 10-20 guys and given their deals it's 50:50 as to whether they'll be here longer than a season. 

Trading down is never easy. It seems to be the top choice in just about 90% of the drafts I've seen on here. Even then we could end up missing out on the one we go down for. I think there's clearly 4 who present value at 11 - Douglas may have it differently - But in terms of positional need there's nothing close to OT. This is more directed to those who think our WR situation is as pressing as the OL. They're both bottom 5 groups IMO but the line is just so much more important. 

I think the OL approach has been negligent to the point of us thinking we need superstars when a line full of average players who do their jobs would frankly be a massive upgrade. Think Van Roten and McGovern are big upgrades without being stars. Also have seen statistical arguments that having a bad offensive lineman hurts more than a having a good one helps - if that makes sense. I think we’re going that route. Have also meant to read more about implications of the wide splits and how that’ll impact the passing game. I suspect more short passing where interior linemen are more key.

Also part of the OL issue and negligence has been the atrocious lack of depth. Right now there are 5 interior OL on the roster who started games last year - two not for the Jets - and a sixth who played snaps. Tackle depth is a different story. But things tended to fall apart when there were injuries and - assuming tackle gets addressed - depth will be far improved.

I’d also argue given interior OL depth and the iOL class - Douglas wants to have the option to kick that down the curb a year. Makes sense based on who he’s got on the roster and how hard it’ll be to fit a guy in. Also makes sense since the class isn’t that good. I think he’s got the opportunity to draft someone if he falls into his lap but I don’t think he wanted to be forced to address that position in the draft. Tackle is a different story.

Wholeheartedly agree trading down is not a guarantee. Think there are opportunities this year with a supposed top WR tier and three of the four teams drafting behind the Jets with clear WR needs and other teams like Philly I’m the same boat. Plus Atlanta looking to move up, Tampa too, and the chance that some weird stuff happens with the QB’s. Was just saying if on the table I’d prefer that to Jeudy or Lamb.

Also suspect that Douglas’ tier is a two more than it is four. Wills is shorter than ideal, only has experience at RT, and is penalty prone which was a point of emphasis in FA. Wirfs has goofy stuff going on with his first step that leads to him getting beat inside which seems problematic for wide splits and also has mostly experience at RT. Seems like balance and technique concerns plus him being more linear as a weight room freak have several people thinking he projects best to guard. Think they’re both talented players and I’d be happy to have them but I don’t think Douglas views them the same as Thomas who is just remarkably clean or Becton who was productive in college, is a freak, and ran a ton of zone stuff in college on both sides of the line. And dropping down, nobody really argues with Jackson, Jones, or Cleveland being tackles or LT prospects. So I don’t know how you separate that from Wirfs and Wills. But I think those are three separate tiers. Obviously just my guess.

• Upvote 1