Okay, you're Joe D on draft day

AFJF

20 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Hi Joe,

You'd have used four draft picks on WRs? Do you not plan on using Josh Doctson who you signed two months ago?

How would you address CB if Hall wasn't healthy?

Have you considered what you'll do with Adams and Maye on expiring contracts Joe?

Who is backup to Bell?

Hello British Jet, thanks for asking.

At this point Josh is really just an expendable camp body.  If he surprises us early on and looks like he's worth keeping around, we can stash one of our late-round guys on our practice squad.  Remember, we only signed Perriman on a one-year deal and can easily move on from him next season if a couple of our young receivers pan out.  Remember, that position does have a fairly high bust rate.

We feel comfortable going with Pierre Desir, Bless Austin and Brian Poole as our starting corners with Maulet backing up after how he played last season.  We don't see Quincy Wilson as a guy who is going to make or break our season and there may be a similar type of player available after teams make their cuts.  

Jamal is going to be a Jet for life.  There are sevearal options with Marcus.  We could retain him if he stays healthy again this season or address the least important position on our defense with a free agent or draft pick next season.

As far as the least important position on offense, RB2, we're not too worried about that.  We plan on making our O-line so good over the next 12-14 months that our run game will be fine with a vet free agent or UDFA.  As we saw in last year's super bowl, you don't need a big name back to win.  We might even bring Bilal back for another year to handle that role and we did elevate Josh Adams to our active roster late last season to prevent him from getting poached.

We look forward to your support in the near and distant future.

Where should we send  your season tickent invoice?

Sincerely, 

Joe D

• Upvote 4

Do you wonder if guys who fell deep into the draft had a reason that they did? Do you not worry about character issues? I know they said the NFL is lightening up on marijuana but we already brought in one guy who failed a drug test and bringing in a second one could bring up a situation where they both bring eachother down. Four wr I believe is overkill when there are so many other holes. Flooding positions of need with people to compete sounds good on paper but what it really does is creates new positions of need due to neglect, this is what Mac did when he first came here and each year we would address one need hard and open up two more the following year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I remember a comment the Jets new LB coach said about Jenkins, that they were pleasantly surprised that he was more athletic than they thought he was, which was telling. They want to upgrade the speed and quickness on the edge (the anti-Macc), which is why they’d opt for Jabari over Anae, I’d imagine. Anae’s three-cone was a putrid 7.44, which is a nose tackle number.

As for Ashtyn Davis, I’m curious to see what the plan is for him. I know people want to kick dirt on Marcus Maye’s grave, but he’s going to be a relatively cheap, high-end starter at safety in the league for a long time, who’s also a high-character grinder-type. Those are the guys Joe Douglas seems to prefer, especially the “relatively cheap” part. I think Davis, at least in part, is insurance if the Adams contract situation gets bad. 

• Upvote 2

For me, I would have swapped out Ashtin Davis with Josh Jones. That’s my major gripe. 

Overall, I thought he addressed many needs and got great value with the picks, even ashtin Davis who will be replacing Marcus Maye next year.

For me, bookend tackles in the same draft would have been hard to pass up.

• Upvote 1

The only pick I can honestly say I'd do the same if I were picking would be Mims. Even with Becton I'd have probably taken the safer option with Wirfs but I was pretty delighted to get either. Plus we've been taken a lot of safer options in recent years with little success.

I was happy with Davis, Zuniga, Hall and Mann. I see why we drafted them and there's enough upside there to add depth or significant competition right away. Mann will have an instant impact. 

The picks I had a real problem with were Perine and Morgan. I didn't see a development QB as a necessary pickup now and definitely would have preferred we double at WR at the very least. Not a fan of a low ceiling back like Perine anywhere in the draft. We could just resign Powell. I didn't mind Clark but would have preferred a more accomplished interior lineman. 

If I were to repick that fourth round I'd take Anthony McFarland Jr, Tyler Biadesz and Tyler Johnson. I know Johnson fell a bit further but I think he's a safe guy to make a roster and contribute. Will be an interesting guy to watch over the next few years. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, freestater said:

DPJ instead of Morgan would've made me happy. I would have gone the "safer" pick of Wirfs at 11.  Other than that, I dont really have any huge complaints with Joe's first draft. 

I didn't like Peoples-Jones, but I'm board with the sentiment of a WR there.

Ditto on Wirfs. I see Wirfs' floor at all star guard, and his ceiling at all pro LT. With Becton, I see his floor as the PUP and his ceiling as the GOAT LT. I can't really fault JD for swinging for the fences there -in fact, I like it!- but I would've have a hard time passing on Wirfs , who I honestly expected the jints to take at #4 overall. He was about as sure a thing as you could hope for in the draft in that spot. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

The only pick I can honestly say I'd do the same if I were picking would be Mims. Even with Becton I'd have probably taken the safer option with Wirfs but I was pretty delighted to get either. Plus we've been taken a lot of safer options in recent years with little success.

I was happy with Davis, Zuniga, Hall and Mann. I see why we drafted them and there's enough upside there to add depth or significant competition right away. Mann will have an instant impact. 

The picks I had a real problem with were Perine and Morgan. I didn't see a development QB as a necessary pickup now and definitely would have preferred we double at WR at the very least. Not a fan of a low ceiling back like Perine anywhere in the draft. We could just resign Powell. I didn't mind Clark but would have preferred a more accomplished interior lineman. 

If I were to repick that fourth round I'd take Anthony McFarland Jr, Tyler Biadesz and Tyler Johnson. I know Johnson fell a bit further but I think he's a safe guy to make a roster and contribute. Will be an interesting guy to watch over the next few years. 

McFarland is rather one-dimensional and, as said before, came out with some terrible attitude reports. Biadesz is obviously flawed and a real project. Tyler Johnson would have been okay, although the reports are that he just doesn't translate well to the NFL (the reason he plummeted) as well as having some personality issues. I don't disagree with the idea of your picks, just not thrilled with the players. I believe Perine will be a more versatile and better back overall than McFarland, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I remember a comment the Jets new LB coach said about Jenkins, that they were pleasantly surprised that he was more athletic than they thought he was, which was telling. They want to upgrade the speed and quickness on the edge (the anti-Macc), which is why they’d opt for Jabari over Anae, I’d imagine. Anae’s three-cone was a putrid 7.44, which is a nose tackle number.

As for Ashtyn Davis, I’m curious to see what the plan is for him. I know people want to kick dirt on Marcus Maye’s grave, but he’s going to be a relatively cheap, high-end starter at safety in the league for a long time, who’s also a high-character grinder-type. Those are the guys Joe Douglas seems to prefer, especially the “relatively cheap” part. I think Davis, at least in part, is insurance if the Adams contract situation gets bad. 

Agree on Jabari, I also like the Davis pick, as I see it going another way. I think that the Adams contract is going to go down the way of an OBJ type deal. He's going to want redic money, and I don't think JD is the type to hand that kind of money out. I see it going this way. Davis was drafted to fill in this year with some 3 safety looks, and maybe to spell Maye on occasion if he plays real well in the roles Williams puts him in. Then come 2 years down the road when both Adams and Maye are up, I see them keeping Maye because he'll be much cheaper than Adams, and moving him to SS where he should be and Davis moving into FS full time. Just my .02 but makes a lot of sense from what we know of JD so far. Yes I'm probably going to be dead wrong lol...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

11) Becton- love the pick

59) Mims- love the pick

68) Zach Baun (Day one starter, plays all 3 downs, would've been Jets best OLB in years IMO)

79) Bryan Edwards (Would have taken advantage of insanely deep WR class)

120) Bradlee Anae (No idea why he lasted so long, but in all honesty, this is where I would've grabbed him)

125) James Morgan- Okay, not entirely true.  I had him mocked to the Jets at 158 so that's where I would've targeted him, but since we don't know if he would've been there, I'll keep him here

129)) Cameron Clark- love the pick.  One of my favorite in this class

158) Bryce Hall- If you don't love a potential CB1 at 158, you're insane

191) James Proche- Just being honest with what I would've done on draft day.  Having seen how Mann is a legit weapon, I've done a 180 and love the pick

211) Jauan Jennings- Again, I would've addressed WR in a big way

59) Mims- love the pick

68) Damien Lewis. G- He is almost a slam dunk G prospect and went the next pick. or Lloyd Cushenberry C- I liked the idea of drafting a pure C and moving McGovern to G.  Hennessy could have been here as well. 

79) Terell Lewis- Just like him a bit more than Zuniga. the good news is I liked Zuniga before the draft and like the pick, but I like Lewis more. 

120) Lamical Perine- I think this was a tad early for him, but it's hard to say where he would have been taken afterward. Since I like the pick I will leave him here due to the big question mark on where he would have slid to. 

125) Gabriel Davis or Gandy Golden- I agree that we should have gone WR again in this draft and either of these guys will have the genuine ability to make the squad better almost immediately. 

129)) Cameron Clark- love the pick.  I also love this pick and bringing in an OL MVP/Team Captain isn't a bad idea either. He and Becton are going to give the left side of our line the ability to cause nightmares for opposing DL groups. 

158) Bryce Hall- If you don't love a potential CB1 at 158, you're insane- I completely agree! I May have been motivated to take Hall earlier. Say the THIRD RD!  lol  Getting him in the 5th is a slam dunk of epic proportions. Love Love Love the pick! 

191) Kenny Willekas- I love this player and think he fits the mold of what JD is creating perfectly. Two time MVP of Michigan State a a tireless workhorse of a man. I am saddened that we didn't take advantage of his slide to the 7th. 

211) Since I like the Mann pick, this is where I will place him. I don't know of he would have made it here but WIllekas did so I could very easily switch 191 and 211. The one thing I would not have done was trade for QW from the Colts. I get it, but I liked players on the board better.  

Fun exercise man. Thanks for the thread. 

• Upvote 4

I think this is too many WRs (you're essentially forced to let go everyone else other than Perriman and Crowder once the roster cuts down to 55), especially seeing the WRs who fell out of the draft and were available to us as UDFAs. 

But I love Baun and Anae so if this is how the draft went down I would honestly not complain. 

JD didn't double dip at Edge and WR but he got Huff, Cager and Campbell as UDFAs who seem to have a ton of upside. I think Huff in particular has a great chance to make the team.  

3 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Why??? Please sell me on the Cameron Clark pick.

I thought there were better alternatives in the 4th round (Biadazz, Bredeson, etc...)

Funny you mention Biadasz and Bredeson because those were two of my favorite interior guys for much of the offseason.  I understand teams being hesitant on Biadasz because of the hip injury and no medical re-checks.  I also think Bredeson can be a good player, but when I went back and watched him closer to the draft I just didn't like him as much as I did before.  Thing he has on his side is that he's super young.  Not even sure if he's 21 yet and already started for Harbabugh for multiple seasons.

On Clark, his performance against Clemson, which I watched a few weeks ago, was probably better than anything I saw from Bredeson.  He was literally slamming guys to the ground and dominant at times against a powerhosue defense.  He showed a mean streak and was blocking guys 5-10 yards down the field.  When Charlotte was traling by 30-35 points he was still playing like it was a tie game.  Loved the motor, the tenacity and as I said, downright dominance at times.  Hard to find a ton of games online for a guy who played at Charlotte, but everything I'd read on him said he was an NFL caliber player, and that game against Clemson cemented it for me.  I think Kiper even said that what he showed in that game is what makes him think Clark can be a starter.  I tend to agree.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

isn't one of douglas' main factors for drafting a guy his leadership?  maybe that explains clark over better known players.  same thing with the rest.  and it's not like this team can be fixed in a single draft.  the thing is to improve year over year and by all accounts this team should be better.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

It seems the vast majority of Jets fans are happy with the way things played out for the Jets in the draft, but we all probably have a few picks we'd change if given the chance.  Well, now we know who went where and who was still on the board when the Jets picked.  What would you have done in each spot?

For me:

59) Mims- love the pick

68) Zach Baun (Day one starter, plays all 3 downs, would've been Jets best OLB in years IMO)

120) Bradlee Anae (No idea why he lasted so long, but in all honesty, this is where I would've grabbed him)

125) James Morgan- Okay, not entirely true.  I had him mocked to the Jets at 158 so that's where I would've targeted him, but since we don't know if he would've been there, I'll keep him here

191) James Proche- Just being honest with what I would've done on draft day.  Having seen how Mann is a legit weapon, I've done a 180 and love the pick

I liked the Perine pick. We need a RB. Jennings you nailed. They could've gotten him with the Quincy Wilson traded pick.

1 hour ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Why??? Please sell me on the Cameron Clark pick.

I thought there were better alternatives in the 4th round (Biadazz, Bredeson, etc...)

Taking the team captain left tackle who projects to guard in the pros probably better fits their athletic OL model than taking any interior OL that was still on the board there. Also gives them that versatility that they're looking for, having a guard that could be more comfortably kicked outside in a pinch. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

It seems the vast majority of Jets fans are happy with the way things played out for the Jets in the draft, but we all probably have a few picks we'd change if given the chance.  Well, now we know who went where and who was still on the board when the Jets picked.  What would you have done in each spot?

For me:

59) Mims- love the pick

one too many WRs but i like the players you chose.  I would have went 2nd CB instead of one of the WRs

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

isn't one of douglas' main factors for drafting a guy his leadership?  maybe that explains clark over better known players.  same thing with the rest.  and it's not like this team can be fixed in a single draft.  the thing is to improve year over year and by all accounts this team should be better.

It's weird, but since the Jets draft I have read several people think that Clark can be a dominant LG and could possibly be a LT. Maybe because he was thought of as maybe the 7th OT instead of as a G he didnt get much notice. Kiper loved him and still talked about him as a tackle but mentioned he could be awesome at LG, so maybe its sort of a pre draft label thing.

Going into the draft I thought it would be an accomplishment to get our OL to average, but if Clark can indeed be a good LG and Becton lives up to the hype we could have an OL well above average next year

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slats said:

I didn't like Peoples-Jones, but I'm board with the sentiment of a WR there.

Ditto on Wirfs. I see Wirfs' floor at all star guard, and his ceiling at all pro LT. With Becton, I see his floor as the PUP and his ceiling as the GOAT LT. I can't really fault JD for swinging for the fences there -in fact, I like it!- but I would've have a hard time passing on Wirfs , who I honestly expected the jints to take at #4 overall. He was about as sure a thing as you could hope for in the draft in that spot. 

Wirfs is not a natural left tackle. Becton is.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, British Jet said:

Hi Joe,

You'd have used four draft picks on WRs? Do you not plan on using Josh Doctson who you signed two months ago?

How would you address CB if Hall wasn't healthy?

Have you considered what you'll do with Adams and Maye on expiring contracts Joe?

Who is backup to Bell?

We can sign a veteran FA WR to help fill in the WR room, and can always address it again next season.  Finding good OL and DB is harder than finding good WRs.  I love that we have added much competition in 2 much needed areas...OL/DB.  In fact most key offensive positions have some added comp.  Darnold, Bell, Perriman, our offensive line.  Not to say I actually think Morgan will take SamQ‘s job, or that Bell will be benched. But they do have young hungry talented players breathing down their neck’s....competition is great!

As some point you have to see the theme here and realize they where never gonna draft Receivers like Jennings and Proche . JD and Gase love speed they make that clear all the time .

wont get any arguments from me with Baun and Edwards I like them both. But it is what it is overall im happy with the class.

Joe Douglas has a 6 year contract, this isn't Macc catering to Bowles to keep his job by taking supposed best defensive player with every 1st rounder. Sure Gase is an offensive coach but GW needs guys to work with too & deserved to be placated after doing a masterful job with flotsam. 

JDs moveback at #48 gave him the ability to keep his Defensive Coordinator happy too. Davis is GWs kind of player, fast, fireery, a leader & freaking crazy versatile. There is no doubt that the Jets with Adams, Maye now Davis easily have the best & most versatile group of safeties for GW to scheme up some awesome game plans based on our opponents plus a deep group of DBs for both Zone & Man schemes. JD loaded up with CBs. Last pcs are Edge & maybe a Veteran WR. 

Balance wins games! KC buffed up their D in 2019 to win the Super Bowl with Mathieu & Clark. 

• Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It's weird, but since the Jets draft I have read several people think that Clark can be a dominant LG and could possibly be a LT. Maybe because he was thought of as maybe the 7th OT instead of as a G he didnt get much notice. Kiper loved him and still talked about him as a tackle but mentioned he could be awesome at LG, so maybe its sort of a pre draft label thing.

Going into the draft I thought it would be an accomplishment to get our OL to average, but if Clark can indeed be a good LG and Becton lives up to the hype we could have an OL well above average next year

going in i would've wanted at least 2 tackles/oline in the first 3 rounds.  if clark is as good as advertised then maybe he does surprise.  and just like morgan being picked over a guy like fromme, douglas is seeing something that makes one guy better than the other.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Davis pick has grown on me.  Hopefully Maye continues to develop, and is here for years to come.  However, it is possible they lose Adams or Maye over the next 2 years.  It's possible one of them is injured for a few games over the next 2 years.

It's also possible Greg Williams will play some 3 safety sets, using Jamal all over the place, and Davis as a true center fielder type safety.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

1-11 Mekhi Bechton - OT

2-59 Denzel Mims - WR

3-68 Matt Hennesy - C

3-79 Jabari Zuniga - Edge

4-120 Reggie Robinson - CB

4-125 Cam Clarke - OG/OT

4-129 DeeJay Dallas - RB

5-158 Bryce Hall - CB

6-191 James Proche - WR

6-211 Nate Stanley - QB

I also wanted Dallas over Perine. Dallas clearly looks like the better back.

17 minutes ago, MehlFreeman said:

I also wanted Dallas over Perine. Dallas clearly looks like the better back.

Questionable.

Perine has the height, the bigger hands, the longer arms, the quicker 20 yard shuttle, had more rushing yards in college, had more receiving yards in college, more touchdowns, more 100+ yard games, less fumbles (never fumbled in college).

But obviously, clearly Dallas is the better back.

• Sympathy 1