Dak turns down 5-year bajillion dollar offer from Dallas...supposedly

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The only team in desperate need of a QB right now is New England, and Belichick wouldn’t even pay Brady $35mm

Current desperate need for a QB:  Patriots, Bears.

Upcoming desperate need for a QB:  Redskins, Raiders, Lions, Colts, Jaguars, Titans, Bucs.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A smart team lets him walk.  As a matter of fact after he refused that offer I'd pull it off the table.

Let him play the year under the tag, and let him go.

That is insane money.   See what he gets as a FA.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Current desperate need for a QB:  Patriots, Bears.

Upcoming desperate need for a QB:  Redskins, Raiders, Lions, Colts, Jaguars, Titans, Bucs.

None of those teams in the “upcoming” group are going to pay Prescott this offseason, particularly the ones in position to take a run at Trevor Lawrence next year. As for this year, the Bears have around $10 mil in cap space

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

What if they pull the tag, sign Cam to a 2-year deal to compete with Dalton and draft a QB in rd 1 next year?  Dak would be in a pretty tough spot.

Great idea. Daks Diva routine is getting pretty stale I would imagine. I'd say f'um and pull the tag like you said. He's not THAT good.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

What if they pull the tag, sign Cam to a 2-year deal to compete with Dalton and draft a QB in rd 1 next year?  Dak would be in a pretty tough spot.

I’d pull the tag, then use that $31 mil on Clowney, cut a deal for Jamal Adams, and ride with Dalton. That team is stacked, and Dalton is probably good enough to get them 25+ ppg

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

None of those teams in the “upcoming” group are going to pay Prescott this offseason, particularly the ones in position to take a run at Trevor Lawrence next year. As for this year, the Bears have around $10 mil in cap space

Why would it have to be THIS offseason?  There's no chance the Cowboys just let him walk without getting something out of him.

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Let me know when prescott actually has to carry a team other than having a top 3 RB, a #1 Wr and a top 3 oline in the league.

He is overrated if anything.

this.  Most of the Cowboy fans I know do not want to pay him big bucks.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A smart team lets him walk.  As a matter of fact after he refused that offer I'd pull it off the table.

Problem with that is then they get only a 3rd for compensation. Dallas needs to trade him. I actually do not think another team pays Dak that type of money. He might get a prove it contract like Cousins but no one is giving him that much. Dallas should have used the non-exclusive tag on him. Now they will be lucky to get a 2nd for him

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d pull the tag, then use that $31 mil on Clowney, cut a deal for Jamal Adams, and ride with Dalton. That team is stacked, and Dalton is probably good enough to get them 25+ ppg

I looked at Dalton's numbers when the Jets were making a play for him and I'll tell you what, when he had a strong supporting cast in Cincy four or five years ago, he put up some great numbers.  Something like 25 TD's and only 8 picks with a comp pct in the high 60's.  I don't recall him ever having a year that good, but as stacked as Dallas is right now, I'd bet he could top that if given the chance.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

Prescott's opinion of himself is WAY TOO HIGH.  He's good but
he's "not all that":

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2577417/dak-prescott

Add in the fact that he has only one playoff win in 4 years.  He needs
to calm down on his demands

Yeah, I’m surprised Jerry just doesn’t bring in Barry Switzer to play QB to show Dak he doesn’t need him to win a Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

$35M per and he says no.  Yikes.

But hey.  It's not like the Cowboys have leverage.  Someone out there would give him $40M+ per if he hit the open market.  So do you, Dak. 

Just don't complain when the roster goes to sh*t.  

Who in their right mind would pay Dak 30 let alone 40 per year outside the cowboys?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The only team in desperate need of a QB right now is New England, and Belichick wouldn’t even pay Brady $35mm

You said it before I had the chance to say it.  The question I have is: "Is he a top 5 quarterback in this league?"

I wonder if he is a top 10 in this league?  I wouldn't give it to him.  I think the Cowboys offered him too much.  I would franchise him and let him walk when it is his time.  Stick to the 175 million and don't budge.  I think he would be stupid to turn down that deal in the end.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetstimeisnow said:

Who in their right mind would pay Dak 30 let alone 40 per year outside the cowboys?

If he were to hit free agency next year, all of these QB-needy teams would be candidates.  Current scheduled 2021 cap dollars (per https://overthecap.com/) in parentheses:

• Colts ($116M)
  • Jaguars ($97M)
  • Patriots ($92M)
  • Redskins ($74M)
  • Bucs ($63M)
  • Lions ($55M)
  • Giants ($52M)
  • Titans ($45M)
  • Raiders ($34M)
  • Bears ($31M)

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Okay....here is what I think the NFL should adopt, very similar to Bob Costas' suggestion to help the salary cap issues in baseball.

Every team gets to pay one player ANY amount they want per year, and it stays off the salary cap.  So, typically most teams this will be a QB.  The best years are what Kansas City has: an MVP QB playing on a rookie contract, meaning they could pay an elite edge rusher whatever they want and keep them off the book.

This way, it does not kill a team when you have to pay a player the amount that QB's are going to be expecting.

• Upvote 3