Dak turns down 5-year bajillion dollar offer from Dallas...supposedly

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Okay....here is what I think the NFL should adopt, very similar to Bob Costas' suggestion to help the salary cap issues in baseball.

Every team gets to pay one player ANY amount they want per year, and it stays off the salary cap.  So, typically most teams this will be a QB.  The best years are what Kansas City has: an MVP QB playing on a rookie contract, meaning they could pay an elite edge rusher whatever they want and keep them off the book.

This way, it does not kill a team when you have to pay a player the amount that QB's are going to be expecting.

The issue with that suggestion is that the cap-exempt  salary for each season can be too easily manipulated.  Meaning you can load up on a player’s salary for a given year, exempt him, and then have him play at an artificially low salary for the next 2 or 3 seasons and then play that same game with another player for another year.   

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is 100% the fault of the owners. They wanted a watered down league centered around the QB position because more points = higher ratings. Now I'm supposed to feel sorry for them because the QB's are exploiting that? This is what happens when the rabbit has a gun and I think it's hilarious. Jerry Jones and his ridiculous Scrooge McDuck lifestyle can eat a dick. Go Dak.

Hammer hits nail.  The QB's see themselves as so important now that they see their value as a certain percentage of the overall cap.  "You're total payroll is ___.   Well!  I am at least worth ____ .  My earming potential should be that.  I am wasting my career if I don't get that!"  Meanwhile we obsess about the small guys getting peanuts.  But if you don't get to a SB in first five years of a rookie QB... your opportunity with that player drastically reduces.  The owners overvalues and over promoted the QB position TOO MUCH.  They were so concerned with the paying young players too much, too soon or having the value of certain skill positions go beyond what they were willing to pay... it made the one position that was considered crucial... a potential anchor of they negotiated the wrong way.  Even Jones has to be saying to himself, "@#@@ this.  Put Dalton behind that OL and see what he can do."

19 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The issue with that suggestion is that the cap-exempt  salary for each season can be too easily manipulated.  Meaning you can load up on a player’s salary for a given year, exempt him, and then have him play at an artificially low salary for the next 2 or 3 seasons and then play that same game with another player for another year.   

That player would be silly to accept a contract like that without holding out or demanding a trade when the "low money years" come up, regardless of how much money he'd banked already.  So it would eventually work against teams for trying to exploit that kind of loophole.

If it became a real fear, The NHL banned lengthy backloaded contracts to close that loophole.  I'm sure the NFL could do something similar.  Something like making a rule where a salary can't drop by >X % from one year to the next.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Hammer hits nail.  The QB's see themselves as so important now that they see their value as a certain percentage of the overall cap.  "You're total payroll is ___.   Well!  I am at least worth that last year.  My earming potential should be that.  I am wasting my career if I don't get that!"  Meanwhile we obsess about the small guys getting peanuts.  But if you don't get to a SB in first five years... your opportunity with that QB drastically reduces.  The owners overvalues and over promoted the QB position TOO MUCH.  They were so concerned with the paying young players too much, too soon or having the value of certain skill positions go beyond what they were willing to pay... it made the one position that was considered crucial... a potential anchor of they negotiated the wrong way.  Even Jones has to be saying to himself, "@#@@ this.  Put Dalton behind that OL and see what he can do."

Teams didn't want to be forced to pay massive rookie contract money to a non-QB they drafted top 3 overall.  The simple answer to that would have been some form of slotted salaries with position kept in mind.  I.E. basing the rookie salaries on what the market value was for each position.  

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Teams didn't want to be forced to pay massive rookie contract money to a non-QB they drafted top 3 overall.  The simple answer to that would have been some form of slotted salaries with position kept in mind.  I.E. basing the rookie salaries on what the market value was for each position.  

Yeah.  I agree.  I remember somebody in the Sporting News recommending that around the time they changed to the current rules.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

$35M per and he says no.  Yikes.

But hey.  It's not like the Cowboys have leverage.  Someone out there would give him $40M+ per if he hit the open market.  So do you, Dak. 

Just don't complain when the roster goes to sh*t.  

Not a chance, IMHO.

6 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Not a chance, IMHO.

QB-needy teams and their current scheduled 2021 cap space figures:

• Colts ($116M)
  • Jaguars ($97M)
  • Patriots ($92M)
  • Redskins ($74M)
  • Bucs ($63M)
  • Lions ($55M)
  • Giants ($52M)
  • Titans ($45M)
  • Raiders ($34M)
  • Bears ($31M) 

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If he were to hit free agency next year, all of these QB-needy teams would be candidates.  Current scheduled 2021 cap dollars (per https://overthecap.com/) in parentheses:

• Colts ($116M)
  • Jaguars ($97M)
  • Patriots ($92M)
  • Redskins ($74M)
  • Bucs ($63M)
  • Lions ($55M)
  • Giants ($52M)
  • Titans ($45M)
  • Raiders ($34M)
  • Bears ($31M)

You showed me teams with cap space, I don’t see how that makes Dak worth 35m/year

I hope Dallas walks away. I hope they pull the tag and let him walk. Besides, the Cowboys draft tremendously well. They should be able to find a good QB in the draft or FA. Bottom line is if I'm Jerry Jones I'm telling that greedy little prick to buzz off.

• Upvote 2

Keep in mind that nobody knows if this report is even true. You should take this with a grain of salt.

Whenever a report comes out asking "Player A was offered X amount of money, and turned it down" it's usually horsecrap.

Teams make this stuff up because they like to negotiate through the media. Because the media and fans 9 out of 10 times will side with management. This thread (really this forum as a whole) is further proof of that

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

At a quick glance, I don't see anything wrong with that. Ensures you can keep more than 1 guy happy over a couple of years. I would say that 1 year number should be limited to a % of the salary cap for all teams (ex. 25%)

2 hours ago, King P said:

35 million a year is more than fair for Dak.

But if he thinks he can get more, then I blame him for trying to get more. That's the name of the game

MORE THAN FAIR !?!? He's NOT the best QB in the league, prob. not in the top 5)  let alone the best player in the NFL. $35 per is WAAAY too much for this greedy diva.

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Question, and try to be objective - Dak Prescott playing for the Jets and Sam Darnold as the Cowboys' QB last year.....who would have had the better season?

Sam. Dak has a top three in the NFL O line and RB. Mark Sanchez made it deeper into the playoffs with just the line and good defense. Probably a top 5 WR group next year also with Lamb. I don't like the cowboys so I hope they pay, but they're shooting themselves in the foot for years if they do. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That player would be silly to accept a contract like that without holding out or demanding a trade when the "low money years" come up, regardless of how much money he'd banked already.  So it would eventually work against teams for trying to exploit that kind of loophole.

+1

See: Revis, Darrelle

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

MORE THAN FAIR !?!? He's NOT the best QB in the league, prob. not in the top 5)  let alone the best player in the NFL. $35 per is WAAAY too much for this greedy diva.

Hence why I said more than fair.

I'm not going to knock players and call them greedy for wanting to get as much as possible. It's a business, that's how businesses work.

Would I give him 35 million? No. But that's not for me to decide what his value is. That's what the open market is for

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

What exactly would he buy for $200mm that he couldn't buy with $175mm?

This Bel Air estate was listed for $195 Million. He’d have to settle for something cheepah.

He could try and negotiate it down. But that’ll be a huge hit on the good old ego.