Jets Offensive Rankings 2020

Jets Offensive Rankings 2020  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Prediction as to the final Ranking of the NY Jets Offense in 2020?

• Top 5 in both Yards/Points
    • Top 10 in both Yards/Points, but below the Top 5
    • Above 15th in Yards/Points, but below 10th
    • Above 20th in Yards/Points, but below 15th
    • Above 25th in Yards/Points, but below 20th
    • Bottom of League, Below 25th in Yards/Points

Jets go from 2019's dead last in overall offensive production to a rank of 25th give or take.  Gase apologists say WOW... WHAT AN IMPROVMENT.  They exclaim... "Once the Jets have HOF talent at all five offensive line positions, the two best starting WR's in the league, the best RB and five more years to train Sam, I am SURE the Jets offense will break into the top half of the league for over-all offensive production. You need to give Gase time and a better roster...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ljr said:

will start the year near the bottom for the 1st couple of games as all of the new pieces take a little time to gel ... i'll get onboard with end of year rankings moving up to around #20

Me repeating myself again: I expect a slow start. Maybe even ugly. Turning over half the offense, potentially including the entire OL and both outside receivers. Two of those new starters being rookies. Installing a new zone blocking scheme with their new athletic linemen, with no one locking down a position except McGovern. Becton will start, but will it be LT, RT, or even guard? (probably not). They're going to rush to get everything into place to start the year, but they'll be tinkering a lot the whole first month of the season, and more than likely then some. 

I'm not so concerned about overall rankings as I am a strong finish this year. Whether they're a playoff team or not (and I think they're not), I want them to look like a playoff team at the end of the year. I want them to be a team other teams don't want to play. That would make me feel like the franchise is on track. Hopefully they do better. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Me repeating myself again: I expect a slow start. Maybe even ugly. Turning over half the offense, potentially including the entire OL and both outside receivers. Two of those new starters being rookies. Installing a new zone blocking scheme with their new athletic linemen, with no one locking down a position except McGovern. Becton will start, but will it be LT, RT, or even guard? (probably not). They're going to rush to get everything into place to start the year, but they'll be tinkering a lot the whole first month of the season, and more than likely then some. 

I'm not so concerned about overall rankings as I am a strong finish this year. Whether they're a playoff team or not (and I think they're not), I want them to look like a playoff team at the end of the year. I want them to be a team other teams don't want to play. That would make me feel like the franchise is on track. Hopefully they do better. 

I would sign up for this as well but with one caveat.  The ugly/early is going to have to include some extra insurance against Sam getting himself killed.  Extra protections, more handing off or plays designed to get the ball out quickly.  The learning curve needs to not come with a body bag.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, slats said:

Don't forget to add the likelihood of limited time in the camps/preseason to gel. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Don't forget to add the likelihood of limited time in the camps/preseason to gel. 

Agreed, good point.  But while we have had a high turnover, so do lots of other teams and we dont know who will do well with the virtual and reduced live camp time.  

Fortunately this isnt Sam and the teams first year in this offense, its not like last years offseason where a totally new offense was implemented .  Sams third offense in 3 years.  

But it sure won't be easy and I'm thinking along with Slats that there is going to be a slow start with some sloppy football.

Outside of Mims turning into Randy Moss and Sam Turning into Brett Favre there's nothing on paper to scare opposing DC's 

Bottom of the league

Gase Fired

Sam a Bust

James Morgan Era begins 2021

I really like this Morgan kid by the way. he's a hard worker and a team player, film junkie. Unlikely to get Mono - everything 14 isn't 

that's a more likely outcome than top 10-15 nonsense. Because that's what it is. Go look at other team's offenses. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Outside of Mims turning into Randy Moss and Sam Turning into Brett Favre there's nothing on paper to scare opposing DC's 

Bottom of the league

Gase Fired

Sam a Bust

I really like this Morgan kid by the way. he's a hard worker and a team player, film junkie. Unlikely to get Mono - everything 14 isn't 

that's a more likely outcome than top 10-15 nonsense. Because that's what it is. Go look at other team's offenses. 

Ok Mr. Perky!

• Haha 3

It falls squarely on the Offensive Line, If that unit sucks so will the offense, if the OL is elite so will the offense be. I believe the Offensive Line will be average overall, with Becton and McGovern being above average and LG, RG and RT being slightly below average. With an average Offensive Line, this offense will be average.

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I am the way the jets made me 

expect the worst, hope for the best

but I'm pretty sure they suck until proven otherwise

especially on offense 

In the 28 seasons since the end of the O'Brian QB Era (1992 onwards), the Jets have averaged Rankings of 21st in both Points Scored and yards.

Over that same 28 seasons, the Jets have produced top 10 rankings in either ranking only 5 times out of 56 opportunities.

1. In 1993, with Boomer, the Jets were 9th in Yards (21st in Points).

2. In 1998, with Vinny, the Jets were 5th in Points and 4th in Yards.  Our glory year of the past three decades.

3. In 2008, with Favre, the Jets were 9th in Points (16th in Yards).

4. In 2015, with Fitz, the Jets were 10th in Yards (11th in Points).  

28 years of Football, and not a single top 10 offensive production ranking season with a Jets-Drafted QB.  And only FIVE times in almost three decades have we been top 10 in offense. 

When people ask why guys like me, or Bit, are cynical.......just look at the numbers, the history. 

Doubting this franchises hype is always the objective right choice. 

Our only years of even moderate success were all behind old veteran QB's in their last years.

Note:  in the O'Brian Era, we averaged rankings of 13th/12th.  In the Todd Era we averaged rankings of 12th/13th.

The Jets being pathetic at Offensive Football is a 1990's and Beyond issue.  we used to be sorta decent at it.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Bottom of the league

Gase Fired

Sam a Bust

I'd bet not one of theses scenarios play out.

Not this year at least.  We won't be bottom of the league barring major injury, Gase isnt getting fired. 

And while I was the only one on the board who wanted Morgan and I'm dying to see him play,  I doubt he sees more than mop up duty.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In the 28 seasons since the end of the O'Brian QB Era (1992 onwards), the Jets have averaged Rankings of 21st in both Points Scored and yards.

Over that same 28 seasons, the Jets have produced top 10 rankings in either ranking only 5 times out of 56 opportunities.

2. In 1998, with Vinny, the Jets were 5th in Points and 4th in Yards.  Our glory year of the past three decades.

28 years of Football, and not a single top 10 offensive production ranking season with a Jets-Drafted QB.  And only FIVE times in almost three decades have we been top 10 in offense. 

When people ask why guys like me, or Bit, are cynical.......just look at the numbers, the history. 

Our only years of even moderate success were all behind old veteran QB's in their last years.

Note:  in the O'Brian Era, we averaged rankings of 13th/12th.  In the Todd Era we averaged rankings of 12th/13th.

The Jets being pathetic at Offensive Football is a 1990's and Beyond issue.  we used to be sorta decent at it.

And none of this, not one season since OB has anything to do with Darnold and Gase.

Different teams, different coaches, different opponents blah, blah, blah.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Eh.  There is a pretty simple explanation to this whole post.  The Jets have had nothing but defensive coaches during that time.  In the last 30 years the only offensive coaches were Coslet (4 years), Kotite (the 2 most pitiful years ever) and one year of Gase.  Carroll, Parcells, Groh, Edwards, Mangini, Ryan and Bowles were all defensive guys.  Having a defensive coach does not guarantee that you will have a sh*tty offense, but they generally play the game close to the vest and keep scores and yardage down.  You aren't going to be high in yards or points scored. This is why points/yardage can be misleading and something like DVOA, as proposed by @GreenFish would be a better measure.

• Upvote 3

I believe the Jets will go 10-6 and win the AFC East.

In 40 years of fandom the best offense I've ever seen the Jets produce was in 1998 (#5 in points scored) and 2015 (#11).  So considering the age of our QB, the state of our OL, and the lack of bigtime playmakers, if the Jets are in the Top 16 I would consider that a success.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'd bet not one of theses scenarios play out.

Not this year at least.  We won't be bottom of the league barring major injury, Gase isnt getting fired. 

And while I was the only one on the board who wanted Morgan and I'm dying to see him play,  I doubt he sees more than mop up duty.

The only thing inaccurate about my predictions are the timing

you're right the Johnsons are too cheap to fire Gase/Replace Gase 

Sam will get his 5th year option picked up no matter what 

and James Morgan is probably too raw

but if I said by 2022 you wouldn't take the other side of the bet. 

in fact i'll offer it to you right now 50 dollars to the charity of the winner's choice if by sept 1 2022 at least one of those things has happened. You win if none of them happen. 

but you have to pay 100 if it's all 3.  

57 minutes ago, Claymation said:

It falls squarely on the Offensive Line, If that unit sucks so will the offense, if the OL is elite so will the offense be. I believe the Offensive Line will be average overall, with Becton and McGovern being above average and LG, RG and RT being slightly below average. With an average Offensive Line, this offense will be average.

As much as I love the offensive line and the moves the Jets made on the line, this offense goes as far as 14 takes it

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The only thing inaccurate about my predictions are the timing

you're right the Johnsons are too cheap to fire Gase/Replace Gase 

Sam will get his 5th year option picked up no matter what 

and James Morgan is probably too raw

but if I said by 2022 you wouldn't take the other side of the bet. 

in fact i'll offer it to you right now 50 dollars to the charity of the winner's choice if by sept 1 2022 at least one of those things has happened. You win if none of them happen. 

but you have to pay 100 if it's all 3.  

I know, again with the cheap fantasy argument.  Guess firing Macc and Bowles, Rex, Idzik whoever proves that given they all were under contract.  You need facts not theories that dont hold water.

I could care less about option being picked up if Sam develops.  But you predicted he would bust this year.  A little different 

Agree with Morgan

2022 is a different year and if they suck this year and next Gase is gone for sure.  We were talking this year, that's the title of the thread, 2020.  

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I know, again with the cheap fantasy argument.  Guess firing Macc and Bowles, Rex, Idzik whoever proves that given they all were under contract.  You need facts not theories that dont hold water.

Firing Mac and Bowles and Idzik doesn't prove the Johnsons are cheap 

Hiring them does 

Adam Gase isn't making Matt Rhule money. he's making Todd Bowles money. All of these guys other than gase were first timers at their job. and Gase was so god awful in Miami, that experience almost doesn't count. 

first time HC's and GM's are cheap 

there is a difference between the 4 mil Gase makes and the 8 mil Rhule makes and the 11 mil Bellichek makes

and spending on coaches, scouts, team doctors are all uncapped. they could spend more. They just choose not to 

hiring Joe Douglas at 3 mil a year is the first above average front office spend they've made since the Westoff era 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Hiring them does 

Adam Gase isn't making Matt Rhule money. he's making Todd Bowles money. All of these guys other than gase were first timers at their job. and Gase was so god awful in Miami, that experience almost doesn't count. 

first time HC's and GM's are cheap 

there is a difference between the 4 mil Gase makes and the 8 mil Rhule makes and the 11 mil Bellichek makes

and spending on coaches, scouts, team doctors are all uncapped. they could spend more. They just choose not to 

hiring Joe Douglas at 3 mil a year is the first above average front office spend they've made since the Westoff era 

Your cheap angle doesnt work in any way shape or form.  First you say that the Johnsons wouldn't fire Gase because theyre too cheap to pay a coach they fired and then reverse that theory when I point out the extended Bowles and Macc and then fired them, that they fired Rex after extending him, Idzik while under contract etc.  OK.

You want to tell me what Gase is making?   No one knows.  You want to use the  the Ruhle contract as the baseline, not contracted handed out by sane people to coaches of similar experience?  LOL, OK

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Your cheap angle doesnt work in any way shape or form.  First you say that the Johnsons wouldn't fire Gase because theyre too cheap to pay a coach they fired and then reverse that theory  

dude, they should have fired Gase last season

but they didn't want to pay Bowles, Gase, and a New HC at the same time

make no mistake

adam gase's offense was so bad last year he deserved to be fired 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Hiring them does 

Cheap?  Christopher Johnson inherited an awful HC and awful GM and let them rot on the vine long enough to get into position to grab a franchise quarterback.  Losing seasons, bitter players, angry fans, good-guy Bowles took no heat, quiet lamb Maccagnan, these clowns were the perfect fodder for a disintegrating culture and locker room. 

Once we got the franchise quarterback, we're in ascension mode and boom, complete housecleaning.  Got an experienced offensive HC and got a hot young GM.  Gase brings in a fantastic DC and a great coaching staff.  Gase restores culture.  Johnson nabs Douglas.  Roster gets offseason corrections and what appears to be a good draft.

Christopher Johnson did a masterful job.  Look where we are.  We're the team in the AFC East ready to take charge now that Brady's gone.  We have the quarterback.  We have the HC.  We have the GM.  We have a great CEO.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

Simple Question, as things stand today, where do you see the NY Jets Offense being ranked in terms of production in 2020?

When the 2020 stats are complied will they will based upon - as things stand today? How will that be computed? Because the team might be significantly different than they are today. Jamal could be traded for other player(s). FA isn't over and JD has another 11M from the post June 1st Trumane Johnson cut to improve the team - Ryan Logan???

Ask this question right before the 1st game when the roster is set and it might be more valid rather than a straw man setup.