It’s about the run stupid

The only way the jets have a good season (9 or more wins).  Is if Bell gets 25+ carries per game and is effective

This new OL we have their strong suit is run blocking.  The pass blocking again will be shaky tho not as much as last year.  

no more committee bs or Gase trying to prove how smart he is just run the ball down everyone’s throats. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The only way the jets have a good season (9 or more wins).  Is if Bell gets 25+ carries per game and is effective

This new OL we have their strong suit is run blocking.  The pass blocking again will be shaky tho not as much as last year.  

no more committee bs or Gase trying to prove how smart he is just run the ball down everyone’s throats. 

i tend to agree.  if fans expect darnold to have attempts per game and the team to be successful they will be sadly disappointed.  darnold will need to throw maybe 30 times per game and bell will need 20-25 touches.    i'm not so worried about the oline except for the reduced practice times.

• Upvote 1

JD has come from programs with strong run games and I would imagine that he envisions the Jets with a strong run game and deadly play action passing attack. If Gase runs a pass heavy offense, I think JD only keeps Gase around if he believes switching him out would damage Darnold's development by putting him in a his third system in 4 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

yea lets run on 1-2 down so we can set Sam up on 3rd in long and let the defense pin their ears back...

The key to this season is good OL play both in the run and pass game

A creative offensive scheme that keeps defenses on their toes is what we need

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, nico002 said:

yea lets run on 1-2 down so we can set Sam up on 3rd in long and let the defense pin their ears back...

While I agree in general with this post I think that if our run game just gets up to NFL average then that will be a huge upgrade from where we have been recently.  Any tangible improvement in that respect will automatically make Sam's job of finding his receivers that much simpler even without the improvements that I expect to come form a non-mono year 3 of his career plus some upgraded options in the receiving talent (sorry Robbie but overall there is reason to think we are better here).

• Upvote 1

by the way the last SB was a referendum on Running the ball vs Passing the ball the KC chiefs were down by 13 in the 4th quarter and ended up running the Niners off the field

it's a passing league 

we all know it 

threads like this exist to take pressure off 14

the most overrated Jets player since Sanchez 

if Darnold was holding out for more money I'd say start the Captain Morgan era 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

It really depends on the O-line. When utilized correctly Bell is a monster. He also helps to balance the passing game, but like we've seen it's completely nullified when our line is dreadful.

A good portion of the time running the ball effectively killed the drive for us which is an inherently terrifying prospect.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

that sh*t sounds nice but i got em with 6 10  they have some of there help but not a lot . need more Deffensie and ol

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

if everything is about the run on offense why is Jamal Adams and Quinnen Williams "runstopping" considered worthless on defense?

will ferrell lol GIF by NBA

Nobody said run stopping was worthless. LOL.

Using top 10 picks on "Run stuffers", however.....

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Beachum was a terrible run blocker, TERRIBLE! Just look at his physic, the last time that dude was in the weight room was his first! 
Go look at film. He never got off the line, but many times he was moved back. Our run game had zero chance running left. So teams expose you because of it. 
AND THAT WAS OUR BEST LINEMAN! When Beachum was hurt, Alabama has a better Oline & that’s not hyperbole! 
The Jets have a revamped Oline & Bell, Gore & Perrine. We are establishing the run & play action with Sams ability to throw running right or left will be hard to stop. 

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Beachum was a terrible run blocker, TERRIBLE! Just look at his physic, the last time that dude was in the weight room was his first! 
Go look at film. He never got off the line, but many times he was moved back. Our run game had zero chance running left. So teams expose you because of it. 
AND THAT WAS OUR BEST LINEMAN! When Beachum was hurt, Alabama has a better Oline & that’s not hyperbole! 
The Jets have a revamped Oline & Bell, Gore & Perrine. We are establishing the run & play action with Sams ability to throw running right or left will be hard to stop. 

Yeah.  What a puss!

r702426_576x324_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cquality

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

by the way the last SB was a referendum on Running the ball vs Passing the ball the KC chiefs were down by 13 in the 4th quarter and ended up running the Niners off the field

it's a passing league 

we all know it 

threads like this exist to take pressure off 14

the most overrated Jets player since Sanchez 

if Darnold was holding out for more money I'd say start the Captain Morgan era 

Is this tongue in cheek?  Am I missing something?  Yeah, gotta be tongue in cheek.  I get it.  :) 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Gase hates Bell so I can't see this happening.  I think it's going to be RB by committee again.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Since we went 6-2 with the worst rushing attack in the NFL, I'm going to say that Coach Gase needs to double-down on the passing game that clearly he is expert in.

SAR I

Since we also went 1-7 with the worst rushing attack in the NFL, I'm going to say that coach Gase needs to try something different, since he's clearly not an expert in whatever the heck he was doing last year.

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

if everything is about the run on offense why is Jamal Adams and Quinnen Williams "runstopping" considered worthless on defense?

will ferrell lol GIF by NBA

LOL exactly. That's exactly why they are not. Why JD wouldn't trade QW for just a first rounder or 'peanuts' b/c our D-line is so 'deep'. Its exactly why JD didn't trade Jamal for a 1st and 3rd and wanted to hold out for a Proven O-lineman from the Cowboys. 

The Titans showed last year how much damage can be done with a dominant run game. With the changes the Jets have made on the O-line its probably the easiest blueprint to follow.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Since we also went 1-7 with the worst rushing attack in the NFL, I'm going to say that coach Gase needs to try something different, since he's clearly not an expert in whatever the heck he was doing last year.

1-7 without a starting quarterback and 18 players on IR.

Do you take drugs to induce amnesia or are you doing it on your own?

SAR I

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

1-7 without a starting quarterback and 18 players on IR.

Do you take drugs to induce amnesia or are you doing it on your own?

SAR I

2-6.  You forgot that we beat the Bills on opening day.  Or are you on amnesia drugs?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Omg, do you realize how old that photo is? He's going on 32 & last year no one else on 32 teams even wanted him. 

IMG_0434.JPG

OMG.  A month?  That picture was part of Cimini's piece from around Memorial day. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/308512/hikes-fasting-desert-sprints-inside-kelvin-beachums-free-agency

I get that you don't like the guy, but he literally bought a home in Arizona near one of the offensive line camps and moves his family there to train every year. You want to sit on your couch and rip the guy for not training.  There here is doing trap bar deadlifts with probably 365.  He's not Tony Mandarich, but he isn't some lazy piece of sh*t either. 

He isn't the stoutest run blocker, but by their metric he was the 3rd best pass protector in the league after Backtiari and Whitworth.  Changing Beachum out isn't some automatic return to Le'Veon Bell's glory days. I certainly hope Becton is a huge upgrade, but Beachum deserves some respect.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

In my opinion I want about a fifteen carry average rushing and a minimum of five balls received from Bell. This to me means that we run enough for play action. having play action helps the inexperience of the line getting an extra second or two in passing. we will need it. we are raw, for the most part inexperienced and new to each other up front. We will also need to out formation defenses some and use some motion to help Sam and the line make calls. Perrine also will get five to 8 run touches in my opinion. Up big numbers slide up, down big the reverse but I tend to think these type averages means we have a good offense.

8 minutes ago, ageingjetfan said:

In my opinion I want about a fifteen carry average rushing and a minimum of five balls received from Bell. This to me means that we run enough for play action. having play action helps the inexperience of the line getting an extra second or two in passing. we will need it. we are raw, for the most part inexperienced and new to each other up front. We will also need to out formation defenses some and use some motion to help Sam and the line make calls. Perrine also will get five to 8 run touches in my opinion. Up big numbers slide up, down big the reverse but I tend to think these type averages means we have a good offense.

Gore's signing cuts into Perine's potential workload, but I expect him to pick up more work as the season moves forward. Wouldn't be surprising to see some two back sets. Jets have a nice committee right now in that each guy can do everything: run, catch, and block. You can send Bell down the middle deep and keep Perine or Gore back in to block from that formation. A lot of options. 

The improvements to the OL should translate into improvements in the running game. Becton's gonna have a learning curve, but I think the Jets will be pretty good to run behind him from day one. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nico002 said:

So...the latest SB winners all had fantastic QBs and yet we have a JETS fan saying run.   OK....  I think I’ll follow the winning formula.