Why Didn't Joe D Go All Out in Free Agency?

If Joey Douglas believes Sam is a special QB (as he mentioned several times, 'feeling the urgency to put a winner around Sam asap') - why not make a little more noise in free agency? Why not re-sign Robbie and add Perriman? Or perhaps another dangerous offensive weapon. From what I've see we did have the cap space for that sort of thing.

Or the draft: why not select a dynamic talent like an Edwards-Helaire or Antonio Gibson adding a new dimension to the offense, instead of drafting Ashtyn Davis?

Why not trade for Trent Williams like the Niners did, solidifying your o-line even more giving you more draft flexibility?

It behooves any organization thinking it has a special QB on a rookie deal, to spend a bit extravagantly while wisely to support said QB, for as long as that rookie deal is in place. 

Maybe that's the rub - maybe Douglas isn't sold on Darnold & didn't want to build around him all out yet. Totally understandable if so. Sam has showed horribly more than a few times. But as an avowed Sam fanboy I'm duty bound to attribute that also to factors beyond his control. Such as the absolute garbage supporting cast supporting him his first two years - including the '18 Toilet Bowles Admin, and the '19 awful o-line and questionable Gase.

Just seems Douglas went to lengths this offseason to support Sam - but didn't finish it out with another dangerous skill weapon or two on offense. I wonder why?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Sam is only 23 and the team (including him) is clearly not ready to be a contender. JD is doing this the right way. Its not time to splurge with a final push yet. You need a solid, proven roster and splurge on extra key pieces to take you over the top and make that final push. 

I'm sure JD believes in Darnold, even if he is not 100% sold on him yet. Remember, Darnold has only been in the league 2 seasons. Not a huge sample size. I think Jet fans have this fixed idea of what Darnold has to show before he can be considered a Franchise QB or a bust and thats really not how it works and not how GMs or coaches look at it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsLife said:

Maybe that's the rub - maybe Douglas isn't sold on Darnold & didn't want to build around him all out yet.

Rebuilt the OL

Drafted a monster T with the 1st.  A WR with the 2nd.  Another OL.  A RB.  

Didnt do anything.

Wow

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

15 hours ago, JetsLife said:

If Joey Douglas believes Sam is a special QB (as he mentioned several times, 'feeling the urgency to put a winner around Sam asap') - why not make a little more noise in free agency? Why not re-sign Robbie and add Perriman? Or perhaps another dangerous offensive weapon. From what I've see we did have the cap space for that sort of thing.

Or the draft: why not select a dynamic talent like an Edwards-Helaire or Antonio Gibson adding a new dimension to the offense, instead of drafting Ashtyn Davis?

Why not trade for Trent Williams like the Niners did, solidifying your o-line even more giving you more draft flexibility?

It behooves any organization thinking it has a special QB on a rookie deal, to spend a bit extravagantly while wisely to support said QB, for as long as that rookie deal is in place. 

Maybe that's the rub - maybe Douglas isn't sold on Darnold & didn't want to build around him all out yet. Totally understandable if so. Sam has showed horribly more than a few times. But as an avowed Sam fanboy I'm duty bound to attribute that also to factors beyond his control. Such as the absolute garbage supporting cast supporting him his first two years - including the '18 Toilet Bowles Admin, and the '19 awful o-line and questionable Gase.

Just seems Douglas went to lengths this offseason to support Sam - but didn't finish it out with another dangerous skill weapon or two on offense. I wonder why?

I too am upset that we didn't make more Trumaine Johnson-esque big splashes in free agency. They always work out so well in the long run. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Apparently the OP touched a nerve. It seems like the :Douglas can do no wrong gang" thinks their guy did all he could possibly do in FA, and this team is locked and loaded.

What city is the Super Bowl in this year?

Yeah, he ain’t trying till he gets couple guys to come back after retiring. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Apparently the OP touched a nerve. It seems like the :Douglas can do no wrong gang" thinks their guy did all he could possibly do in FA, and this team is locked and loaded.

Or hes just plain wrong?

Like you were when you said the same things? 

Wrong but not really wrong, like you saying the team is locked and loaded.  As if doing all you want to do or can do means that.  Because you can just want players and poof, they're on your roster.  No long term implications in this fantasy, no cap implications.

That one you know was to get a rise out of Jet fans, JD fans.  You know, trolling

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, JetsLife said:

how do you know douglas didn't pursue those players or trade/draft scenarios?  we don't.  as far as i can tell, douglas made solid picks and signed solid free agents.  and i'd like to point out that there have been many instances of teams loading up on high priced free agents and then falling flat.  it's a team game and the players need to play together.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Or hes just plain wrong?

Like you were when you said the same things? 

Wrong but not really wrong, like you saying the team is locked and loaded.  As if doing all you want to do or can do means that.  Because you can just want players and poof, they're on your roster.  No long term implications in this fantasy, no cap implications.

That one you know was to get a rise out of Jet fans, JD fans.  You know, trolling

I think the OP asked a fair question. We have cap space available.

Do you think it's trolling for him to ask if Douglas could've done  more, or for me to think he asked a fair question? 

4 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I think the OP asked a fair question. We have cap space available.

Do you think it's trolling for him to ask if Douglas could've done  more, or for me to think he asked a fair question? 

Cap space doesnt mean you dump the money on players you dont think help the team.  

Spending money just to spend it today, then better talent, talent that you believe can help today or long term becomes available and you dont have that cap money helps how?  Complaining over again that a possible long term solution at QB or a P doesn't help a team when it sure as shlt does?  A punter who can flip a fieldd wouldnt help more than a bottom of the draft OL who maybe could stick as a backup?  Who is no better than what you can find in FA?

And its not the question, its trolling the way you stated it.  You know it is, you have to

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Cause Robbie is a Jag. And Perrinan is a better version of the same type of player.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, JetsLife said:

I know people want that number 1 fantasy football receiver, but in all reality:

Perriman, Mims, Crowder, Herndon, Griffin, Bell and possibly Smith/Berrios should be plenty to work with if the O-line is at least average and Sam is the real deal, which I believe he is.

Now it's up to Gase to make it work.

That being said, I would've liked Joe D to draft at least one more WR.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

If only he were a genius like Dave Gettleman....

P.S. "Joey" Douglas? Really? I bet even his grandparents didn't call him that. The chutzpah...

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Maybe they didn't have an offensive line and had to rebuild it numb nuts.  Plus they added Perriman, Mims and Perine.  Keep reaching though

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Ha!

Youre right he didn't, we have the same players on the OL as a year ago.

Argue that all you want.  

Then tell everyone we're not as good.  

Finish off by telling us where you played.  OL.  Or coached.  Or scouted.  

Or whatever insight you can give as to why everyone is wrong, we didnt start rebuilding the line with a stud T in the draft, another OL prospect in the draft, a number of FA OL who have to viewed as upgrades.

You make those arguments, but give specific reasons other than because or thats what you think 

23 hours ago, JetsLife said:

JD wants to rebuild the OL through the draft. That's why he didn't spend big bucks in FA. 

57 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre right he didn't, we have the same players on the OL as a year ago.

Argue that all you want.  

Then tell everyone we're not as good.  

Finish off by telling us where you played.  OL.  Or coached.  Or scouted.  

Or whatever insight you can give as to why everyone is wrong, we didnt start rebuilding the line with a stud T in the draft, another OL prospect in the draft, a number of FA OL who have to viewed as upgrades.

You make those arguments, but give specific reasons other than because or thats what you think 

You said he “rebuilt” the Oline - signing a bunch of back ups to 1 year deals isn’t exactly a rebuilt line.

McGovern was a good signing, but that’s really all. And we downgraded at Tackle.

Too many see a bunch of new names and faces and are acting like just because they’re new they’re going to be good. 

The Oline will still be bottom ten in the league - if you think that’s rebuilt then so be it.  But I find it comical that you would believe that - hence the Ha!

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Because FA spending sprees never work, are a poor way to build a team, and are a hallmark of a bad organization (that's why we've grown accustomed to them.)

The Jets spending spree in 2008 flies directly in the face of your assertions. That was a great FA haul and set the Jets up for the success of 2009 and 2010 going deep into the playoffs. It's most certainly NOT the hallmark of a bad team so long as you choose the right players at the right price. So spending sprees most certainly DO work if coupled with successful drafting which coincidentally the Jets had been successful drafting in 2006 and 2007.

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You said he “rebuilt” the Oline - signing a bunch of back ups to 1 year deals isn’t exactly a rebuilt line.

McGovern was a good signing, but that’s really all. And we downgraded at Tackle.

Too many see a bunch of new names and faces and are acting like just because they’re new they’re going to be good. 

The Oline will still be bottom ten in the league - if you think that’s rebuilt then so be it.  But I find it comical that you would believe that - hence the Ha!

rebuild

verb (used with object),  re·built or (Archaic) re·build·ed; re·build·ing.

to repair, especially to dismantle and reassemble with new parts: to rebuild an old car.
to replace, restrengthen, or reinforce: to rebuild an army.
to revise, reshape, or reorganize: to rebuild a shattered career.

I asked you to be specific, how and why are sure that you know more than JD at T?  Give me something other than hes a downgrade and why.  

What makes you say that the OL will be bottom of the league?  Facts, reasons, or just your usual "because" when the fact is every player signed is better than the player they replaced or will replace, have a history of being better than what we had

Personally I think he could have done just a tad better in the draft, especially in the later rounds.   I would have liked another weapon in this deep WR class but truly can't complain.   I nitpicked the drafting of Morgan but other than that, he did damn good.  Perhaps the best draft in a decade or more, if everyone stays healthy and develops.    I also think people are underrating Perine.  If he gets an opportunity, with our revamped OL, I think he will have a some "splash" plays and demonstrate he could be our future feature back.   I'm glad JD  didn't overspend in FA.  As we have seen over and over again, you build teams through the draft, not free agency.   It looks like we finally have a FO who gets that.