Sports with no fans in attendance

Really is not that bad.  Obviously a very small sample size, but it does not bother me at all as a tv viewer for MLB or NBA.

Football crowds are different, so I reserve the right to change my mind come football season but this hasn't been nearly the adjustment I anticipated watching on TV.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Watching on tv isn’t going to change anything for me. It was funny watching premier league and having the announcers apologizing every five minutes for the players language  

The hot mic has been one of my favorite side effects in mlb as well.  

It’s surreal in the “why even play?” way, but money is money. Incidentally, I watched ten minutes of WNBA basketball today and that is the worst thing I’ve ever watched. Had to be at least five missed layups in those ten minutes. I saw a breakaway off of a steal where the woman was a solid ten feet out in front of her defender, but she had to stop in the key and pull the ball back out because she couldn’t dribble and run at the same time. Really brutal. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

It’s surreal in the “why even play?” way, but money is money. Incidentally, I watched ten minutes of WNBA basketball today and that is the worst thing I’ve ever watched. Had to be at least five missed layups in those ten minutes. I saw a breakaway off of a steal where the woman was a solid ten feet out in front of her defender, but she had to stop in the key and pull the ball back out because she couldn’t dribble and run at the same time. Really brutal. 

I've had legitimate arguments with an uncle of mine who swears women's basketball is "fundamentally better" and thus better to watch.  I can't think of a worse sport to watch.

• Upvote 4

Certain sports like golf, UFC and hockey have all looked fine without fans. Maybe that's because I'm an islanders fan and used to sound of silence at games. But the NHL did a really good job with the background and noise.

Baseball has been a little odd but ok. The sound of a home run clanking off seats just doesn't sound right..

I think football will be ok. When you watch an NFL game from home you rarely see the fans anyway. So the cameras just need to keep the focus on the game and the NFL has to pump in a decent amount of fake crowd noise and they should be ok

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

black and white film GIF

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Certain sports like golf, UFC and hockey have all looked fine without fans. Maybe that's because I'm an islanders fan and used to sound of silence at games. But the NHL did a really good job with the background and noise.

Baseball has been a little odd but ok. The sound of a home run clanking off seats just doesn't sound right..

I think football will be ok. When you watch an NFL game from home you rarely see the fans anyway. So the cameras just need to keep the focus on the game and the NFL has to pump in a decent amount of fake crowd noise and they should be ok

I would say UFC has been good but the smaller cage due to a lack of an arena definitely makes a difference in what the fighters are doing. More importantly when a fight turns into a war the lack of a crowd is noticeable. For example that Hooker/Poirier fight was one of the greatest fights ever and without people on their feet going nuts something was missing for sure.

Kinda the same thing with baseball the last few days. Most moments are fine, but those bottom-of-the-ninth times are really where you notice.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

It’s not perfect but it’s better than nothing.  The fake crowd noise when watching the Yankees games helps.  For others it doesn’t but for me it helps.  

The Mets noise guy is on point. Yankees haven't been home yet, so we will see what they do.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

While I miss the live crowd, the networks go insane with crowd shots way too often. Hope they get away from that and getback to focusing on the game itself. Sadly once the crowds come back so will the MTV video cuts. Fox is the worst; I don't need to see some fatass with a painted face, and then another, and another,  when the clock is running and it's under 2 minutes in a tie game, show us what is going on on the field. 

I have a cousin who played D2 hoops point guard and is in her school's Hall of Fame. She does not watch the WNBA. Nobody should. 

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Very un”woke” of you Tom, smh

yeah but no sh!t

Love stuff like this 

Only watch UFC, MLB, Soccer, NBA, dead to me, and most everyone else. Check the ratings. Because of Covid they might get a bump but that will die eventually. 

On a side note I know the manager of Top Game Management who trains Calvin Kattar, dudes on the rise & had a great fight with Dan Ige. 

I hate it , it’s brutal, I reject this as a new normal . It’s a total money grab to satisfy the TV networks and the gambling sites . Sports should be canceled until fans can be back at full capacity. 

9 minutes ago, Jolot said:

I hate it , it’s brutal, I reject this as a new normal . It’s a total money grab to satisfy the TV networks and the gambling sites . Sports should be canceled until fans can be back at full capacity. 

And that makes no sense.  The OPs opinion is no different than most people.  The lack of fans in the stands isnt that huge a deal.

Sports are a total money grab, why shouldn't it be?  I'd love to know how playing without money coming in the gate is more of a money grab than playing with money coming from TV and money from the gate.

I'll take being entertained watching NHL, NFL & even MLB without fans over shutting down and losing games that will never be replaced 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Really is not that bad.  Obviously a very small sample size, but it does not bother me at all as a tv viewer for MLB or NBA.

Football crowds are different, so I reserve the right to change my mind come football season but this hasn't been nearly the adjustment I anticipated watching on TV.

Come on. It's  wierd. I watched two basketball games last night. You can hear the sneakers squeaking on the hardwood. 

18 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Let me be clear. I HATE the empty stadiums but it’s FAR better than no sports at all. 

9 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've had legitimate arguments with an uncle of mine who swears women's basketball is "fundamentally better" and thus better to watch.  I can't think of a worse sport to watch.

That blows my mind. There are some really good women players but everyone in the NBA, even the guys that suck are incredible athletes.  

23 minutes ago, Jolot said:

I am thankful for something to watch on TV aside from binge watching Breaking Bad and The Sopranos for the second time. 

36 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

"The Sopranos" 2nd time through is still remarkable. At times one of the funniest shows ever. The unabridged philosophy of Paulie Walnuts could be an entire comedy series by itself. 

27 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I am thankful for something to watch on TV aside from binge watching Breaking Bad and The Sopranos for the second time. 

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

While I miss the live crowd, the networks go insane with crowd shots way too often. Hope they get away from that and getback to focusing on the game itself. Sadly once the crowds come back so will the MTV video cuts. Fox is the worst; I don't need to see some fatass with a painted face, and then another, and another,  when the clock is running and it's under 2 minutes in a tie game, show us what is going on on the field. 

Whereas over here the channels usually have a bunch of fans on Zoom. Doesn't always work out quite the way they want it to...

Ec-28tnWsAAj8Ok?format=jpg&name=900x900

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

"The Sopranos" 2nd time through is still remarkable. At times one of the funniest shows ever. The unabridged philosophy of Paulie Walnuts could be an entire comedy series by itself. 

It's  a great show, possibly the best tealling of a mafia family since Godfather 1 and 2, but I'm thankful for a new distraction. 

6 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Whereas over here the channels usually have a bunch of fans on Zoom. Doesn't always work out quite the way they want it to...

Ec-28tnWsAAj8Ok?format=jpg&name=900x900

Only watched the NHL so far, and they are concentrating on the games. As the playoffs move along, sure they will adopt some of this crap. "I'm drunk in my man cave with my Hong Kong knock off jersey, LOOK AT ME!!!"

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The hot mic has been one of my favorite side effects in mlb as well.  

Without fans and crowd nosie, the networks should embrace this.  Mic up players, coaches, umpries/refs and bring us the sound of the games that you would not normally hear.  This is an opportunity to broadcast games in a way that could not be done with a full crowd.  I would prefer to see them embrace that rather than pump in fake noise to make it sound more "normal".

• Upvote 2