Bleacher Report Jets v. Bills Predictions

Warfish

Spread: Buffalo -6.5

Oddly, the Buffalo Bills have defeated the New York Jets in each of their last two matchups in New Jersey and lost to them while failing to cover the spread in each of their last two meetings in Orchard Park. This is another home game against Gang Green, but our entire crew is willing to bet that trend will end with a decisive Buffalo victory Sunday afternoon. 

"The Jets might be the worst team in football," Miller said. "Meanwhile, Sean McDermott's Bills are among the toughest, most disciplined squads in the league with arguably the best cornerback in the world in Tre'Davious White. Buffalo -6.5 is easy money."

White could make it extremely difficult for Jets quarterback Sam Darnold to get off to a strong start in a critical third season, while the absence of departed superstar safety Jamal Adams should make it easier for Bills quarterback Josh Allen to operate under the same circumstances. It also doesn't help that the Jets are bringing an entirely new offensive line together with little preparation time for a matchup with a top-notch defensive front, while Buffalo should benefit from a lot more continuity throughout the roster. 

Plus, the Bills never had a receiver like Stefon Diggs in those past meetings. 

It's unanimous.

Predictions
Davenport: Buffalo
Gagnon: Buffalo
Kahler: Buffalo
Miller: Buffalo
Sobleski: Buffalo
Tesfatsion: Buffalo
Consensus: Buffalo -6.5

Score Prediction: Bills 27, Jets 10

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Are the Jets really the worst team in football? 

No. 

from a roster perspective..maybe. They won’t be the worst team in football. I hate when people say that right before the season even starts because it’s never true. Remember when they said we wouldn’t win a single game one year & we won 6? (2014) Yes we sucked, but we were far from the worst. 

I think Washington, Miami, Cincy, Carolina, Jacksonville, Chicago and so many others will be worse than the Jets. The Jets have no one notable for a casual fan to talk about so they “may be the worst team in football”.

• Upvote 3

Insane to think the Jets are anywhere near the worst team in football. Doubly insane to be giving the Bills, who won 3 more games than the Jets on an equally cupcake schedule last year, so much respect.

Nobody should be shocked if the Jets smack the Bills around - it's a division game and a toss up IMO.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

How about a dominant performance by Darnold & Co. on Sunday to make them all eat it!

Are you expecting that on Sunday?

They were the #2 Defense in the NFL last year in Points Allowed.  #3 in Yards Allowed.

I hope Sam does break out, but given the above, combined with what camp and not-preseason looked like and his WR's all being spotty available in camp and typical early season Defense > Offense meta, I'm expecting a pretty ugly day on Offense for Sam and the Jets.

If we can run on them, maybe Sam can use that to do something.  But man, that's gonna be a challenge.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

They were the #2 Defense in the NFL last year in Points Allowed.  #3 in Yards Allowed.

I hope Sam does break out, but given the above, combined with what camp and not-preseason looked like and his WR's all being spotty available in camp and typical early season Defense > Offense meta, I'm expecting a pretty ugly day on Offense for Sam and the Jets.

If we can run on them, maybe Sam can use that to do something.  But man, that's gonna be a challenge.

Tough game for all the reasons mentioned. Buffalo is ahead of the curve re continuity as a team and a good team at that. I fear too that the Jets will need some time to find their chemistry. On the other hand, they should have beaten Buffalo out of the gate last year with a worse team, and first games of the season are often unpredictable, so I would wager a closer game than most are predicting. Still would lean to Buffalo given the whole picture.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm expecting Darnold and the offense to step up in 2020, and yes, I think he'll move the ball on this defense on Sunday. Despite the shiny defensive numbers, I think the Bills are overrated and over-hyped, much like the Browns were last year, and can be had by a good QB.  This game will be step 1 to convince the non believers once and for all that Darnold is long term legit.  

• Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

On the other hand, they should have beaten Buffalo out of the gate last year with a worse team

Full stop.  That's part of the answer right there. 

The other part?  The Bills haven't gotten any better.  Meaning, they can't beat winning teams and the Jets are a winning team.  A lesser Jets team beat teams like the Bills last year in their 6-2 run.  We beat the piss out of them Week 1 and we won Week 17 in Orchard Park.

And for those who think the Bills have been together for a longer time and that gives them an advantage, last year's Jets coaching staff is all coming back and they were the ones who held together a patchwork group of backups changing every week due to injuries.  Don't worry about the Jets state of readiness.  Under far tougher circumstances, Gase and the staff got them ready enough to pull 6 upset wins in 8 weeks.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

No. 

from a roster perspective..maybe. They won’t be the worst team in football. I hate when people say that right before the season even starts because it’s never true. Remember when they said we wouldn’t win a single game one year & we won 6? (2014) Yes we sucked, but we were far from the worst. 

I think Washington, Miami, Cincy, Carolina, Jacksonville, Chicago and so many others will be worse than the Jets. The Jets have no one notable for a casual fan to talk about so they “may be the worst team in football”.

That's the way of the Jets.  Usually bad but never bad enough.  No-man's land.

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Insane to think the Jets are anywhere near the worst team in football. Doubly insane to be giving the Bills, who won 3 more games than the Jets on an equally cupcake schedule last year, so much respect.

Nobody should be shocked if the Jets smack the Bills around - it's a division game and a toss up IMO.

Worst?  Probably not.  Are we "anywhere near" the worst team?  Absolutely.  Name 5 rosters worse than ours.  You can't.  Jacksonville, Washington, and Miami are the only teams with decidedly worse rosters.

Because of Gregg Williams we're probably going to perform like the 24th/25th best team rather than 28th or so.  But that still puts us close enough to the bottom to say we're "nearly" the worst.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1