Mims Downgraded

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

Keep in mind, IR this year just means missing first 3 games. Assuming he re-tweaked his hammy he would likely be out at least another 2 weeks anyway. Might as well open up his spot on the roster for someone else. 

Oh please.  Stop inserting your "facts" into the middle of a panic session.  It's unbecoming.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, GreekJet said:

It looks like it might only Becton and Davis have a chance to contribute this season. 

Mims-injured

Zuniga-Jets

Morgan-Backup

Clark-injured 

Perine-injured

Two of the 5 never were playing and the other two are part time/depth players right now. 

4 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Keep in mind, IR this year just means missing first 3 games. Assuming he re-tweaked his hammy he would likely be out at least another 2 weeks anyway. Might as well open up his spot on the roster for someone else. 

It's not a re-tweak.

It's the other hamstring.  

You can't drive a car with a blown tire, let alone 2 blown tires.

If, and this is a huge if, he plays this year, he will be absolutely useless.

20 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

When are the Jets going to learn do not draft a receiver in round two?

ArDarius Stewart was a 3rd round pick.  Chad Hansen, Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans all 4th round picks.  How did they work out?

It has nothing to do with what round they're taken in, and everything to do with whether a GM can identify talent.  

Would you have preferred a Rd 1 WR and ending up with no LT?  

39 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Wtf do these guys do in practice??? Every day it’s something new. Marcus Maye hurt yesterday and now Mims possibly on IR

I root for the Jets and Yankees. The Jets can’t make it through a light training camp walk through without a significant injury and the Yankees can’t run to first base without doing the same. WTF are these conditioning and strength coaches doing? I wasn’t alive in the 70s and 80s but surely players didn’t get hurt as much as they do today.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I root for the Jets and Yankees. The Jets can’t make it through a light training camp walk through without a significant injury and the Yankees can’t run to first base without doing the same. WTF are these conditioning and strength coaches doing? I wasn’t alive in the 70s and 80s but surely players didn’t get hurt as much as they do today.

#FreeSalAlosi

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Maybe they are picking the wrong players *shrugs* Stanton has always been this way and you'd have to be nuts to give Judge the type of money he'll command.

52 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It's not a re-tweak.

It’s hard to believe that with all the talk about how douglas was going to fix the offense, the only difference between this year and last year’s opening day offense is beachum vs beckton and perriman vs Anderson.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

It’s hard to believe that with all the talk about how douglas was going to fix the offense, the only difference between this year and last year’s opening day offense is beachum vs beckton and perriman vs Anderson.

I'm going to find it amazing to see how many resources are used on the offense in this next offseason when it's clear the Douglas is moving on from Sam.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It's not a re-tweak.

If that's the case, I would imagine it would be longer than 3 weeks. 

Not that it matters in this case, but I'm trying to remember the last time a player on any sports team I root for hasn't suffered a setback after returning from a hamstring injury. Like why don't these doctors take the time frame they THINK the player is healthy by (2-3 weeks) and then just double it because it happens all the time and they end up missing more time than they would have if they just waited another 2 weeks to start running again? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He could be all in on Lawrence, and douglas will be given the chance to draft his guy if he wants. 

Yup.

Personally, I don't think that we will be bad enough to get Lawrence, and feel that replacing Sam with Fields or Lance would be a huge mistake, but Joe Douglas is going to do what he wants, so there is no use in whining about it.

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yup.

Personally, I don't think that we will be bad enough to get Lawrence, and feel that replacing Sam with Fields or Lance would be a huge mistake, but Joe Douglas is going to do what he wants, so there is no use in whining about it.

For douglas’ job security he’s in a good spot.  He’s got a good qb prospect, and if he doesn’t pan out, he can draft at least one.  But even if the weapons aren’t truly upgraded, you can evaluate darnold if the line isn’t as porous as the past 2 years.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

For douglas’ job security he’s in a good spot.  He’s got a good qb prospect, and if he doesn’t pan out, he can draft at least one.  But even if the weapons aren’t truly upgraded, you can evaluate darnold if the line isn’t as porous as the past 2 years.  

Yeah, I mean, he's set himself up well.  It can be considered a little slimey to starve Sam of talent for "your guy" if you're like me and believe this to be the case, but this business is slimey and that's the game you have to play in order to save your own skin.  I can't hate on it too much.

If this team lands a top HC candidate like Greg Roman or Bieniemy next year and they light the world on fire with one of the big QB prospects I mentioned, absolutely no one is going to care about what they did to Sam, even if they honestly should.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah, I mean, he's set himself up well.  It can be considered a little slimey to starve Sam of talent for "your guy" if you're like me and believe this to be the case, but this business is slimey and that's the game you have to play in order to save your own skin.  I can't hate on it too much.

Well if you read into how he conducted the draft and by trading adams, he definitely has a longer term view and wasn’t too concerned about really retooling the offensive skill positions this year.  2 of his first 4 picks were defense.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Well if you read into how he conducted the draft and by trading adams, he definitely has a longer term view and wasn’t too concerned about really retooling the offensive skill positions this year.  2 of his first 4 picks were defense.  

That's how the draft is supposed to operate.  Draft picks impact the next 5 years or more of a franchise's future.  The immediate impact on the upcoming season is on the low end of things a GM needs to be considering when making his picks.  

Many Jets fans here only think the draft is there to provide instant gratification, and that's just not how any successful GM should be operating.  Especially not one that has a 6-year contract and has the luxury to only really be thinking about the long game.  

It's obviously a tough situation for Darnold, since he's a young QB who needs pieces around him to be properly evaluated.  But Douglas didn't draft Darnold and he's not responsible for the mess Macc made.  Any cleanup efforts that look to focus on 2020 rather than 2023 are ill-advised and only tend to lead to more messes down the road.  His only concern needs to be methodically adding pieces to build a strong roster over the long haul.  Getting pissed at Douglas over that reality is just misdirected vitriol that deserves to go to the owners and the prior GM's.

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Pretty sure literally three of the eleven opening day starters from last year will start this year and none of those were going anywhere. And likely only two of the other eight were even on last year’s team.

It is absolutely still ugly but it’s clear Maccagnan left the roster in utterly horrific shape through terrible drafting and also pretty evident that Douglas is committed to attempting to build the team via the draft - and he was given a long contract to do that - so under those circumstances it’s a lot of turnover IMO.

• Upvote 1