jgb

Who do you take?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If jets are #1, who do you take?

• Trevor Lawrence
    • Justin Fields
    • Other (Name player in thread)
    • Trade down and build around Sam

They'd have to pick a QB, they wouldn't have a choice. Not going Lawrence means they'd be looking at picking up his option. If they did, they'd be committing to him so they'd either be looking at working out an extension or looking at having another losing year to pick a top QB.

They are in one of the worst timelines because this season should be the one they make a decision on Sam and they're going to have to make one without all the information. 

• Upvote 1

What.... the fact that it's Week 1 1/2 and we're already discussing the #1 pick?
Could be.

Normally I would agree it would be rediculous but this is a bad Jets team possibly the worst I've ever seen. Hopefully our offense gets healthy and proves me wrong but right now it feels like this team can have an ugly record. Number one pick maybe not...top 5-10 feels very likely to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Trade the #1 pick.  GM’s that need a QB would give their first born to get Trevor. The haul would be legendary. We need picks, picks, picks.  Think of it. We have 4 #1 picks in next 2 years alone. We could easily at minimum get 3 #1 and 2 #2 for it. Easily.

So if Sam Darnold has a terrible season this year you would pass on Trevor Lawrence if we have the #1 pick. 

• Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Fire Gase, let JD pick his own HC, trade away the first pick only if they can get at least 2 firsts and 2 seconds. If not draft which ever QB is the best choice. 

If we have the first pick then we're as desperate for the first QB (it will be Lawrence) than any team willing to make that trade. It means Sam has failed.

We have enough draft capital and cap space to ensure we don't repeat the same mistakes made with Darnold. We have a lot of picks at is it. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Normally I would agree it would be rediculous but this is a bad Jets team possibly the worst I've ever seen. Hopefully our offense gets healthy and proves me wrong but right now it feels like this team can have an ugly record. Number one pick maybe not...top 5-10 feels very likely to me.

Worse than the team Macc had built last year?

Are you saying.... Joe must go?

:P

Worse than the team Macc had built last year?
Are you saying.... Joe must go?

I have not given up on joe douglas yet. If we are being honest with ourselves he did not to an amazing job in free agency. I did not think it would be possible for the team to be worse than last year though it honestly feels that way but I would give douglas another year or two to see if he can fix this mess. In my mind the blame falls on our cancer of a head coach who I believe spends too much time blaming our players and not enough time coming up with creative ways to be competitive with the depleted roster he has. Also at fault is our training and conditioning staff who are looking for a two year streak of highest injury rate in the league. Darnold has looked awful but I would not even consider giving up completely on him unless we actually did get the number one pick and even then it would not be a sure thing to draft a QB over trading the pick and trying to build around him.

17 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I have not given up on joe douglas yet. If we are being honest with ourselves he did not to an amazing job in free agency. I did not think it would be possible for the team to be worse than last year though it honestly feels that way but I would give douglas another year or two to see if he can fix this mess. In my mind the blame falls on our cancer of a head coach who I believe spends too much time blaming our players and not enough time coming up with creative ways to be competitive with the depleted roster he has. Also at fault is our training and conditioning staff who are looking for a two year streak of highest injury rate in the league. Darnold has looked awful but I would not even consider giving up completely on him unless we actually did get the number one pick and even then it would not be a sure thing to draft a QB over trading the pick and trying to build around him.

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The team this year is worst than last year's.  There's no way around that.

Mac was trying to win - JD isn't.  

If JD isn't trying to win, meaning he is doing a slow methodical roster build and not spending now on some quick, expensive fixes at positions like WR, Edge rusher, etc. then does that mean he's not all that interested in evaluating the HC or the QB with better players around them this year?

10 minutes ago, Icer said:

If we get the #1 pick and don't take Lawrence this is going to haunt us for the rest the next 20 years like Marino.

Lawrence plus present jets team and head coach  = talking about a new QB 2 and half years from now.

Lawrence will not be playing with clemson vs the citadel he will be QB for the citadel vs clemson, that is how terrible our talent is.

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Trade the #1 pick.  GM’s that need a QB would give their first born to get Trevor. The haul would be legendary. We need picks, picks, picks.  Think of it. We have 4 #1 picks in next 2 years alone. We could easily at minimum get 3 #1 and 2 #2 for it. Easily.

What if it was the Patriots?  Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

It’s also a very kind thing to do. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

If we have the first pick then we're as desperate for the first QB (it will be Lawrence) than any team willing to make that trade. It means Sam has failed.

We have enough draft capital and cap space to ensure we don't repeat the same mistakes made with Darnold. We have a lot of picks at is it. 

One players isn’t going to turn this franchise around. They could get a top QB with the first that’s traded to them as well as other multiple other players with the rest of the extra picks. I’m talking about a Herschel Walker type haul.

Otherwise yes take TL or whoever so we can get our hopes up and they end up sucking or the HC and or GM suck and they ruin his career and we can look for the next great savior. 

We're not going to get the number 1 pick, that is as much a fairytale as the Jets going to the playoffs this year.

It takes talent to craft a team to suck 'first pick in the draft' bad.

After an absolutely abysmal start to the season, once players start returning from IR, this team will return to the kind of mediocrity that allows for alternating weekly post game conferences of ticker-tape victories with those other kind of post game press conferences where Gase looks a little high, clipping his words while avoiding eye contact with the camera.

That mediocrity allows genius offensive minds (and the owners that love them) to hang for one more season after five to seven random wins against other teams with loosing records.

The only caveat that might prevent them attaining a victorious return to mediocrity is the health of our offensive line.

If more than one of these big boys  disappears to IR this season, all bets are offers the Jets walk up to the stage with the first pick of the 2021 draft

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

We're not going to get the number 1 pick, that is as much a fairytale as the Jets going to the playoffs this year.

It takes talent to craft a team to suck 'first pick in the draft' bad.

After an absolutely abysmal start to the season, once players start returning from IR, this team will return to the kind of mediocrity that allows for alternating weekly post game conferences of ticker-tape victories with those other kind of post game press conferences where Gase looks a little high, clipping his words while avoiding eye contact with the camera.

That mediocrity allows genius offensive minds (and the owners that love them) to hang for one more season after five to seven random wins against other teams with loosing records.

The only caveat that might prevent them attaining a victorious return to mediocrity is the health of our offensive line.

If more than one of these big boys  disappears to IR this season, all bets are offers the Jets walk up to the stage with the first pick of the 2021 draft

Completely agree.  Another factor is the schedule.  It might be really tough this year.  We could go 1-5 in the division (I'm guessing a split with Miami) and our easier non-division games are mostly only toss-ups.

The games in red feel like they're very difficult.  The games in blue seem like they'll be 50/50 games, though I have a sneaking suspicion Arizona is going to be very good this year and we'll lose that one.

image.thumb.png.8c77511e533844e138c8d311937a6fb7.png

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Completely agree.  Another factor is the schedule.  It might be really tough this year.  We could go 1-5 in the division (I'm guessing a split with Miami) and our easier non-division games are mostly only toss-ups.

The games in red feel like they're very difficult.  The games in blue seem like they'll be 50/50 games, though I have a sneaking suspicion Arizona is going to be very good this year and we'll lose that one.

image.thumb.png.8c77511e533844e138c8d311937a6fb7.png

Agreed on thinking on your list of blue teams the Cardinals will be a tough out. The Browns with so much talent, surely they will have got their poop together by then?    A fascinating season of unknowns ahead.

If the Jets end up with the first overall pick then JD really needs to change the course of this franchise.   The Jets have never had a dynamic athlete at QB, maybe Fields is that guy, I’m not completely sold on him being the type of athlete that Lamar, Allen, Murray, Watson even Wilson is right now, but I truly think that is the direction JD needs to go.   

Part two of that equation NEEDS to be a coach that can maximize a kid like Fields abilities.   Maybe JD flys down to Norman, Oklahoma and hands Lincoln Riley a blank check for the next 6 years and you start over with a Fields/Riley combo.   I’m not sure if that’s the answer, but the way the Jets have been doing this over the last decade is simply not working, not even close.   It’s just a miserable franchise to root for.   

If JD isn't trying to win, meaning he is doing a slow methodical roster build and not spending now on some quick, expensive fixes at positions like WR, Edge rusher, etc. then does that mean he's not all that interested in evaluating the HC or the QB with better players around them this year?
I believe he wants to build a sustainable roster like any other gm would. His goal should always be winning though and there were a few decent players in free agency that we did not make a solid push for...some even came from our own roster. I have faith in douglas still and think he has a plan I just don't think that plan involves fielding a viable team this year