Jets add...a RB?!?

mrcoops

Detroit Lions cut RB Ty Johnson, a sixth-round pick from last year’s draft

Updated Oct 01, 2020; Posted Oct 01, 2020

The running back was a sixth-round pick in last year’s draft and showed serious speed in Detroit. But he struggled to turn that raw skill-set into actual production. He was beaten by Jamal Agnew for the return jobs and tumbled down the rotation at running back, where Detroit spent a second-round pick on D’Andre Swift and then signed Adrian Peterson in Week 1. Peterson is now Detroit’s lead back, while Swift is catching passes off the bench and Kerryon Johnson remains highly involved for his abilities in pass protection.

So Ty Johnson got squeezed out of the mix, playing just five offensive snaps in the first three games without ever touching the ball. He becomes the fourth member of Detroit’s 2019 draft class to lose his job, following receiver Travis Fulgham (sixth round), tight end Isaac Nauta (seventh round) and defensive tackle P.J. Johnson (seventh round). Nauta remains on the practice squad. 

I had a feeling last night that Gore was being run out there as a farewell (even getting that ridiculous RZ wheel route shot at a final TD) and that he will be cut when Bell is back this week. That leaves Bell/Perine/Ballage as gameday backs and they need a guy like Johnson who will be willing to be their insurance policy. I doubt Gore wants to stick around and be inactive on gameday each week. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I had a feeling last night that Gore was being run out there as a farewell (even getting that ridiculous RZ wheel route shot at a final TD) and that he will be cut when Bell is back this week. That leaves Bell/Perine/Ballage as gameday backs and they need a guy like Johnson who will be willing to be their insurance policy. I doubt Gore wants to stick around and be inactive on gameday each week. 

Goodbye and Adios Frank Gore thanks for nothing. 

• WTF? 1

41 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

None of the RBs they have can pass block for sh*t.. hence the free runners Darnold has to dodge every play.

Being able to pass block isn't necessarily the problem for Ballage.  He looked like he didn't know the assignments.  He's been in Gase's offense, so that shouldn't be the issue. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1