Flacco to Start Sunday

Lith

Really curious to see how this plays out. If Flacco plays well enough, Darnold’s shoulder injury is going to mysteriously get a lot more severe. Gase already set up this scenario with the “he (Darnold) has a lot of pain” comment. 

Yeah me too. I said it in another thread so I apologize for repeating myself but not firing Gase after this offensive showing tells me they think Darnold is the problem. Honestly from what I see I think they are right.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Really curious to see how this plays out. If Flacco plays well enough, Darnold’s shoulder injury is going to mysteriously get a lot more severe. Gase already set up this scenario with the “he (Darnold) has a lot of pain” comment. 

He also said he's "week to week"

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Jets WRs lead the league in separation from defenders. Sam has played with a relatively clean pocket. I predict this offense is going to finally move the ball well.

This is the part I am hoping to see.  Seems to me like Darnold has had a tendency to lock on to his primary receivers, slow to make his progressions and held the ball too long.  Not saying he is the only problem with ths offense, but I do believe he is part of teh problem.

If Flacco can come in, make quicker decision, get the ball out quickly and get the offense in a rhythym, it will tell us a lot about Sam.  Flacco is likely to have some better weapons this weekend if Mims and Bell are back, but may also be playing behind a worse OL - if Becton &/or Fant can't go.

Either way, I am curious to see what the offense looks like with an experienced 10+ year veteran running it.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is the part I am hoping to see.  Seems to me like Darnold has had a tendency to lock on to his primary receivers, slow to make his progressions and held the ball too long.  Not saying he is the only problem with ths offense, but I do believe he is part of teh problem.

If FLocco can come in, make quicker decision, get the ball out quickly and get the offense in a rhythym, it will tell us a lot about Sam.  Flacco is likely to have some better weapons this weekend if Mims and Bell are back, but may also be playing behihnd a worse OL - especially if Becton &/or Fant can't go.

Either way, I am curious to see what the offense looks like with an experienced 10+ year veteran running it.

Darnold is a big part of the problem. I think we are going to see that this weekend.

Still Gases fault for Darnold regressing under his watch. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

Yeah me too. I said it in another thread so I apologize for repeating myself but not firing Gase after this offensive showing tells me they think Darnold is the problem. Honestly from what I see I think they are right.

They definitely should have fired Gase after Denver, and Darnold is definitely *a* problem, so, yeah, if Flacco finds a way to make the offense look reasonably coherent, it’s a huge indictment of Darnold. On the other hand, if they get torched this week, they have to cut bait ASAP and at least try to give Darnold a decent stretch of games to prove it was Gase screwing him up.

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

He also said he's "week to week"

Darnold on Monday was all “Nah, I feel good, I’m hoping to go.” The org has chosen another path lol

1 minute ago, DLJ said:

They should play Morgan, I mean, instead of taking another needed WRwe took a QB. Why not see what he has

If you look at Morgan’s college stats, he’s still a huge project. IMO, if Flacco blows up, you’ll get Mike White in the role played by Luke Falk last year.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Jets WRs lead the league in separation from defenders. Sam has played with a relatively clean pocket. I predict this offense is going to finally move the ball well.

Keep telling yourself that. Crowder is the only pro receiver on the team that's been playing all season. If Bell and Mims come back then at least you have a chance. The reason they get separation is because Sam has to run around so much because they aren't open when they need to be open.

19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Darnold out is fine, but do not have him as the #2 "emergency" QB

White will be number 2 when called up for 1 or the 2 slots off the practice squad. This is for this and the next few games if Sam is out an evaluation to see with only 2 skill players in Perrimen and Bell probably coming back essentially the same personell Darnold has had this year. So, we get to see is Darnold part of the problem if Flacco is able to do better. That give Jets more info on evaluating for the draft next year on if we take a QB high in round 1. Also, another factor is the draft pick could be affected if Flacco does well and any games are won since the way the Giants and Falcons are playing(Texans likely will win here and there) the top pick is going to need to be either 0-16 or 1-15 to get it and unfortunately the Jets have the strongest SOS that is the tiebreaker. So if all 2 teams are tied at 1-15 say, Jets likely get the 3rd overall pick.

Flacco is going to get butchered by Chandler Jones and company to the tune of 6 sacks. Anybody who honestly believes Flacco is going to play well needs their head examined. This guy wants to collect paychecks at this point, not put his body on the line for a horrible Jets team.

Doubt he finishes the game, tbh.

Keep telling yourself that. Crowder is the only pro receiver on the team that's been playing all season. If Bell and Mims come back then at least you have a chance. The reason they get separation is because Sam has to run around so much because they aren't open when they need to be open.

I am not telling myself that. Its a statistic from PFF that Cimini posted last week. The play Darnold was hurt on he missed a wide open WR. Every team is playing cover 0 against us. A good route and an accurate pass beats cover 0. Statistically it seems we are getting the good routes. Just not the good passes.

• Upvote 1

Let's see how it goes. Darnold has played better the last 2 years coming back from an injury. Maybe taking a week off will help clear up whatever the f*ck is going on in his head. 

The problem is we have seen small glimpses but never any stretch of good play. Its not like other QBs that come back from this. Those guys at this point have usually put together some kind of decent season.

40 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I find that amazing! Berrios, Hogan and Smith have played a whole lot making it even more incredible. What is the source?

10 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I am not telling myself that. Its a statistic from PFF that Cimini posted last week. The play Darnold was hurt on he missed a wide open WR. Every team is playing cover 0 against us. A good route and an accurate pass beats cover 0. Statistically it seems we are getting the good routes. Just not the good passes.

for the umpteenthtime. Sam got himself injured by playing his position poorly. Guy is wide open.

No more wek-ass excuses, infantilization of Sam.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Too young to remember Vinny Testeverde? Come on dude the team had looked like it was running a bad Pac 10 offense the first 4 weeks. If you can sit through that you can watch Flacco to see what he does.

The 98 team started 0-2 before going to vinny. Obviously this is apples-oranges but Flacco might give this team a lift.  It’s not like they’re starting bollinger or McCown.  It’s too bad Mims and Perriman won’t be able to share in any glory if they win.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Bell comes back as well most likely. And perriman, moncrief and maybe even mims

Joe Flacco is going to ball out

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

All the posters acting like he's washed and gonna be amazed at how much Darnold was holding the offense back. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This game is going to be very telling.  It sounds as though neither Mims, Becton or Perriman will play this week again.  Bell will probably be back though.  How am immobile Flacco plays in this offense will either help or damage Darnold in the eyes of the fans and front office.  I'm eager to see how it plays out. It'll def be a good barometer to measure Darnold against. 

Agreed, if Flacco plays really well, Sam takes a huge hit. 

If Flacco looks terrible, it strengthens the notion that most QBs would not be able to play well in this situation. 

Prediction: Flacco's performance will be somewhere in the middle and no one will agree on what it means going forward. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Looking forward to evaluating Gase's Offense with a veteran QB at the helm. This is a good opportunity for a controlled study. Frankly, I'd like to see Flacco 2 weeks in a row so there is a larger sample size to assist in the evaluation.

1) If the O plays consistently well with Flacco than we know the problem is Sam;

2) If the O craps out with Flacco like it does with Sam, than it MIGHT mean the problem is just Gase.

If #2 happens, then the Jets have to fire Gase immediately an put in an interim coach with a new OC and start Sam;

3) If the O plays progressively better each week than we know the problem was just Gase;

4) If the O continues to crap out than we know the problem was Sam AND Gase.

w5FTwwiweGqDm.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1