Jump to content

At least we didn't draft Andrew thomas


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

So he's played 7 games and he's a bust. The patience threshold of rookies has now equaled that Amazon prime shipments.

 

Not a bust, but Beckton has been significantly better already and Beckton was supposed to be the project while Thomas was considered ready to start from day 1 (with a lower ceiling) so it's not good to be this bad early on if your best trait was being the most NFL ready. 

And it's not great that he was already benched for missing a practice. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I try not to jump to conclusions regarding young players.  Thomas could still turn things around.  It's very early.

However, it's not only the fact that you drafted him and the early returns are bad, but you passed on Becton and Wirfs whose early returns look great, and Willis who has been pretty good.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I thought he was arguably the safest pick in the draft but he’s been piping hot dogsh*t so far.

Very often, safest means lowest ceiling.  I think he’ll improve, but you can tell he does not move as quickly or as gracefully as beckton.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I like Douglas, but being >>>>>> Gettleman is not really something you put on your resume. 

Nope.  But several posters here want to fire Douglas already and let the Johnson's hire a new GM.  One who undoubtedly would  be worse than Gettleman and probably about as bad as the worst NFL GM of all-time, Mike Maccagnan.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

So he's played 7 games and he's a bust. The patience threshold of rookies has now equaled that Amazon prime shipments.

Well technically hes been playing for 8 weeks. 

If I had an Amazon Prime package take that long, I would lose my sh*t too lol. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

So he's played 7 games and he's a bust. The patience threshold of rookies has now equaled that Amazon prime shipments.

I'm curious how many rookie LT's sucked sh*t their first 7 games and went on to great success?

Ferguson was a # 4 overall pick and a "safe" option at LT.  He wasn't great his rookie year but he was still reasonably good.  He was then a rock at the position for the next decade.  

Thomas was similarly billed as a nice, safe pick at LT who faced SEC pass rushers.  For him to suck this bad so quickly has to be alarming for Giants fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This NFL ready label/safe prospect seems to be a bit of a curse lately.  Rosen was the most NFL ready QB of his QB class.  Leonard and Quinnen had that label of safest pick.

To be fair, Leo and Quinnen were indeed safe picks.  You can count on them to stop the run and take up some space, and  occasionally be disruptive for QB's.  Had they been 3rd or 4th round picks they would have been hits and fan favorites.

But you don't draft "safe DT's" in the first 6 picks in the draft.  You draft a poor man's Aaron Donald (or better) there and hope he's the next Aaron Donald.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm curious how many rookie LT's sucked sh*t their first 7 games and went on to great success?

Ferguson was a # 4 overall pick and a "safe" option at LT.  He wasn't great his rookie year but he was still reasonably good.  He was then a rock at the position for the next decade.  

Thomas was similarly billed as a nice, safe pick at LT who faced SEC pass rushers.  For him to suck this bad so quickly has to be alarming for Giants fans.

I think in the long run he'll be alright, I do agree that currently him struggling this much is a little concerning. He just has not looked quick enough to stop guys on the edge.  Thats why I think Giants will be dying for Sewell if they have a top 3 pick... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Watched him yesterday.  Very sloth-like.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with Thomas. He was not considered a great athlete but he was more technically sound and ready to start day 1. If his technique isn't winning him the day now and he isn't getting more athletic AND he is missing team practices that is a cause for concern even if it's only 7 games into his career. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I thought he was arguably the safest pick in the draft but he’s been piping hot dogsh*t so far.

Not sure he was the safest.... I think he was just the most familiar in the sense that he was tabbed as media favorite LT going back to his 2018 season.. I remember as the draft process played out - the opinions varied on him and the other 3 OTs

I honestly expected Becton to go before him

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I thought he was arguably the safest pick in the draft but he’s been piping hot dogsh*t so far.

Alot of scouts agreed with you, which furthers my argument in another thread about the QB position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Should also point out to those that are mad about Gase not getting enough out of the rookies, the Giants draft class under Sheriff Joe Judge has been cataclysmically bad.  

So if it's not Gase, it's not Judge, then New York water is to blame.

Can we then conclude that Rookies are Rookies for a reason and need a little more time to mature?

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, genot said:

Alot of scouts agreed with you, which furthers my argument in another thread about the QB position.

But Andrew Thomas wasn’t thought of as a “generational” OT prospect.

He was simply thought of as a safe, solid pick who was a good bet to be a quality starting LT for a decade.

High floor, relatively low ceiling.

Many (including myself) thought that guys like Becton, Wirfs and Wills had more overall potential, but also more bust potential on top of that.

I don’t see how that’s comparable to Trevor Lawrence.

If you have the chance to grab a QB as talented as Lawrence when you’ve been perpetually stuck in QB limbo for half a century, you do it. Especially when you already have a slew of extra premium picks in your back pocket over the next two years.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, genot said:

Alot of scouts agreed with you, which furthers my argument in another thread about the QB position.

So you are FINALLY coming around to "alotta scouts dont know WTF they are talking about"?

for me, i will get drawn into "Do you prefer A or B and why?"   on occasion.  (Josh Allen (edge) vs Quinnen, eg)

but i dont play GM like alotta people, and i also dont trust "alotta scouts"

these days there is so much pre-draft noise. and most of it is JUST noise.

i hear alotta names i never heard before and people saying " this guy ius a lock"

i was like who the **** is leo williams? truns out my instinct was pretty good in that case.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

So you are FINALLY coming around to "alotta scouts dont know WTF they are talking about"?

for me, i will get drawn into "Do you prefer A or B and why?"   on occasion.  (Josh Allen (edge) vs Quinnen, eg)

but i dont play GM like alotta people, and i also dont trust "alotta scouts"

these days there is so much pre-draft noise. and most of it is JUST noise.

i hear alotta names i never heard before and people saying " this guy ius a lock"

i was like who the **** is leo williams? truns out my instinct was pretty good in that case.

 

We agree. I take all the reports about a college player being a can't miss with a grain of salt. Which leads me to the position about what we should do if we have the number 1 pick

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...