Darnold: They made some good adjustments, I think we’ve got to adjust to their adjustments.

BettyBoop

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So Sam is pointing his finger at the coaching staff, which I fully support.  I am still unsure if he can still turn into a solid, starting NFL QB but I am much more confident that no QB can thrive under the coaching of Gase and his staff.  Again, this is why Gase can't go soon enough.  Every week he is the coach is another week that nobody on the team is getting better and we are not learning anything about 2021.  Cut out the dying flesh and give the rest of the body a chance to heal.  

Darnold is saying he can’t do it without help. But that doesn’t mean he’s blameless. I think this is fair, considering he knows his 3rd season is a waste and that he may be traded. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Icer said:

This has been Gase's MO since Day 1 in Miami. Inability, or pure stubbornness to adjust his game plan at all based on what's going on in the game

Thank you!

No one is absolving Sam Darnold of responsibility but UNIMAGINATIVE PLAY CALLING is no the QBs FAULT!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!

No one is absolving Sam Darnold of responsibility but UNIMAGINATIVE PLAY CALLING is no the QBs FAULT!

An offensive line that cannot block.  A pair of tight ends that cannot catch.  A set of wide receivers that cannot get open.  A 50 year old running back who gets gassed.  A quarterback that cannot make reads.  WHERE IS MY CREATIVE PLAYCALLING???

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

He needs to adjust to not throwing the ball to the other team. 

Uh Sam, can you maybe not throw into quadruple coverage? As you see in this film study this man is WIDE OPEN. Then & only then will we have adjusted. 

Just now, Jetster said:

Uh Sam, can you maybe not throw onto quadruple coverage? As you see in this film study this man is WIDE OPEN. Then & only then will we have adjusted. 

Kind of a dumb take.

Sam can make bad plays and the coaches can be guilty of not adjusting at the same time. It certainly appears both are true.

Don't you find it interesting that our offense was working good for 2 drives and then the bills completely smothered it for the rest of the game? Sam is right.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Rewatch the 2nd half pal. Sam has no idea what to do when blitzed. He holds the ball too long. He’s playing like a rookie. 

I think practically Sam lost a year with the coaching, injuries, COVID, players.

So he is basically the equivalent of a not very good second year QB.

When the QB is pointing out the coaching flaws, it’s quite the indictment. The inability to making any sort or adjustments at halftime has been a pattern with Gase since day 1.

Horrible offensive coordinator. I’m glad he’s moving on to being a head coach. Maybe he’ll pencil in some game planning time to preparing for halftime adjustments.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

So Sam is pointing his finger at the coaching staff, which I fully support.  I am still unsure if he can still turn into a solid, starting NFL QB but I am much more confident that no QB can thrive under the coaching of Gase and his staff.  Again, this is why Gase can't go soon enough.  Every week he is the coach is another week that nobody on the team is getting better and we are not learning anything about 2021.  Cut out the dying flesh and give the rest of the body a chance to heal.  

Isn’t he also pointing back on himself too? I mean he is the QB and should recognize defenses after playing for 2+ seasons.  Plus it’s not like he never saw the Bills before.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Uh Sam, can you maybe not throw into quadruple coverage? As you see in this film study this man is WIDE OPEN. Then & only then will we have adjusted. 

Big Sam has a real problem with seeing the entire field and making a decision.  He just took a shot at the coaching staff with those comments.  This dude has basically thrown in the white flag and is itching to get out of here.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I think practically Sam lost a year with the coaching, injuries, COVID, players.

So he is basically the equivalent of a not very good second year QB.

Darnold is not good. Burrow and Herbert are straight out of college with no OTAs, preseason, etc and they look like true franchise Qbs.

• Upvote 1

I rewatched the Jets’ second half possessions and they actually did try to adjust, mostly by using TEs and RBs to take on blitzes. But they failed for a combination of reasons:

1. The OL, the TEs and Perrine were an utter disaster when it came to blocking assignments.  They were consistently letting guys through even though they outnumbered rushers. I mostly blame poor coaching for this. 

2. Darnold failed to make presnap adjustments to make sure rushers were accounted for. 

3. Some of the play calls were plain dumb. On one play, Darnold dropped back while the OL, two TEs and Perrine stayed in pass protection. It was 8 blockers vs 7 rushers. All Darnold had to throw to were two WRs running basic post patterns against 4 DBs. The receivers were completely smothered. Darnold was sacked of course. 

• Upvote 1