Should Jets turn to Michigan's Jim Harbaugh as answer at HC?

Should the NY Jets hire Jim Harbaugh has HC  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NY Jets hire Jim Harbaugh as HC

20 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

McCaffrey was a 5 star and couldn't wait to get away from Harbaugh. But feel free to enlighten me - it seems that you have a wealth of knowledge on this topic.

Please list all the...

"Michigan has had a rotating roster of garbage at QB - these are 5 star guys that Harbaugh has failed to develop".

QB's in which you speak upon lol your words, not mine (so enlighten me). 

Because out of the 5 QBs who've started for Jim during his 6 year tenure @ Michigan? Only 1 was a 5 star QB and he wasn't even a 5 star Harbaugh recruit; he was a 2 year TRANSFER with a losing 2-6 record after 2 years; before Jim (in Shea). 

I'll be patiently waiting...

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Please list all the...

"Michigan has had a rotating roster of garbage at QB - these are 5 star guys that Harbaugh has failed to develop".

QB's in which you speak upon lol your words, not mine (so enlighten me). 

Because out of the 5 QBs who've started for Jim during his 6 year tenure @ Michigan? Only 1 was a 5 star QB and he wasn't even a 5 star Harbaugh recruit; he was a 2 year TRANSFER with a losing 2-6 record after 2 years; before Jim (in Shea). 

I'll be patiently waiting...

Oh T0m

I'm thinking Harbaugh would want a lot more control and money than any other candidate before taking the job here.

I also think Douglas isn't going to want to play second fiddle to him, and I don't see the Johnson's paying him and giving him that control. Lets say it was our choice though...

If it came down to losing Sleepy Joe in order to get him, would you guys still want Harbaugh?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I also think Douglas isn't going to want to play second fiddle to him, and I don't see the Johnson's paying him and giving him that control. Lets say it was our choice though...

Why would JD want to play second fiddle to Adam Gase, but not to Jim Harbaugh?

Because let's me honest here. JD sucked off Adam Gase as a way to make Gase "happy" because ever since day 1 of arrival JD has been Gase's little do-boy because if not? If JD wasn't playing second fiddle to Adam Gase? Well then Frank Gore (Adam's BOY) wouldn't be here as Jet today @ damn near 40 years old and absolutely useless. 

Thnx JD? For not knowing how to tell Adam Gase, no?

28 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Why would JD want to play second fiddle to Adam Gase, but not to Jim Harbaugh?

Because let's me honest here. JD sucked off Adam Gase as a way to make Gase "happy" because ever since day 1 of arrival JD has been Gase's little do-boy because if not? If JD wasn't playing second fiddle to Adam Gase? Well then Frank Gore (Adam's BOY) wouldn't be here as Jet today @ damn near 40 years old and absolutely useless. 

Thnx JD? For not knowing how to tell Adam Gase, no?

I hear you. We all know about Gase being a big reason why Douglas got his job here.

The problem I have with what you're saying is this. If you're right (and you very well might be) then Sleepy Joe isn't going to fire Gase. The Johnson's won't either. He'll be the HC again next year, which makes any discussion about his replacement a waste of time, no?

The other side of it is Joe getting Gase "his guys" the same way a lot of other GMs would. It's not like Gore took away playing time from anyone good here. Nobody thinks Perine is going to be anything special, do they?

• Upvote 2

On 11/6/2020 at 1:22 AM, Snook said:

Exactly. He isn't a bad coach but after four or so years people who matter (Including Jim) want him out.

So?  Make a couple playoff runs with Trevor and Harbaugh his first 3-4 years here and then we can worry about that afterwards

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I just don't see Harbaugh coming here without final say over personnel. Hence, I don't see Douglas going there. 

Harbaugh would be a Woody (yes Woody, not Chris) move. 

No keeping Gase or hiring another lousy assistant would be a Woody move

34 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Pretty sure he's ours if we want him.  This situation with him at Michigan is like a bad marriage of two people who have been together since high school.  Both parties know they don't want to continue, but neither wants to be the first to say it.

One yard of offense in a quarter.  Yeah, he would be a perfect fit here. 

Harbaugh scares the sh*t out of me as a potential Jets HC.  I know that he was a successful NFL HC with SF, but its been hard to watch Michigan these last few years and think that's the guy I want coaching my team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Harbaugh scares the sh*t out of me as a potential Jets HC.  I know that he was a successful NFL HC with SF, but its been hard to watch Michigan these last few years and think that's the guy I want coaching my team.

For the life of me, I don't get the attraction some people here have for him. 

Then again, some people here still think they were right to want McCarthy.

Like it or not, this game has changed. That's why I wanted Klingsbury two years ago. The Jets need to see to where the game is going. Guys like Harbaugh and McCarthy aren't capable of taking us there.

I'd love it if we could get Fields in the draft, and another young, innovative HC to pair with him. I'm not sure who that coach is, but I know I'd look to the southwest schools, find the guy who's doing what they do out there on offense better than anyone, and pay the man.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am not big on Harbaugh either.  I would be pretty indifferent to disappointed with that hire.

That said, I have always got the impression he didn't really want to be at Michigan or back in the college game.  7 million a year and the chance to bring your alma mater back to glory is tough to say no to however, especially when no NFL teams were knocking down your door at the time.  I think he could be better again in the NFL than he's showing recently at Michigan, but wouldn't be betting the farm on it by any stretch.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

For the life of me, I don't get the attraction some people here have for him. 

Then again, some people here still think they were right to want McCarthy.

Like it or not, this game has changed. That's why I wanted Klingsbury two years ago. The Jets need to see to where the game is going. Guys like Harbaugh and McCarthy aren't capable of taking us there.

I'd love it if we could get Fields in the draft, and another young, innovative HC to pair with him. I'm not sure who that coach is, but I know I'd look to the southwest schools, find the guy who's doing what they do out there on offense better than anyone, and pay the man.

Panthers OC Joe Brady is my first choice right now.  Although I reserve the right to change my mind at least a half dozen times between now and January.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I am not big on Harbaugh either.  I would be pretty indifferent to disappointed with that hire.

That said, I have always got the impression he didn't really want to be at Michigan or back in the college game.  7 million a year and the chance to bring your alma mater back to glory is tough to say no to however, especially when no NFL teams were knocking down your door at the time.  I think he could be better again in the NFL than he's showing recently at Michigan, but wouldn't be betting the farm on it by any stretch.

He may be bettere suited for pros than college, but Harbaugh has not been able to develop a single QB since he has been at Michigan.  Shea Patterson, Jake Rudock, Wilton Speight.  Not one guy was even a good college QB, much less a solid pro prospect.  And his team has lost just about every big game that they have played in under his watch.  

If we do bring him in, I will hang my hope on his success in SF, but I will definitely be disappointed in the hire.  Won't be ranting and raving like a lunatic, which I did when we hired Gase, but I would definitely be disappointed.

• Upvote 2

Based on this evening's unfolding disaster, this can happen. He will not be going back to Ann Arbor next season. 

Harbaugh isn't a college coach, but unlike almost any other candidate he is a proven NFL head coach. And he is gong to want to get this stench off himself ASAP. Grant you, like Parcells or Mike Keenan or any other number of very successful coaches, he may not be around for 2 decades. So what. The Jets have to change things dramatically for the better with him, and they cannot hire a coordinator again. 

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

He may be bettere suited for pros than college, but Harbaugh has not been able to develop a single QB since he has been at Michigan.  Shea Patterson, Jake Rudock, Wilton Speight.  Not one guy was even a good college QB, much less a solid pro prospect.  And his team has lost just about every big game that they have played in under his watch.  

If we do bring him in, I will hang my hope on his success in SF, but I will definitely be disappointed in the hire.  Won't be ranting and raving like a lunatic, which I did when we hired Gase, but I would definitely be disappointed.

Starting to feel most of his SF success was due to Fangio and Roman. 

Want nothing to do with him, but he’s a big fancy name that I’m sure the Johnsons will love to make a headline with. 

10 hours ago, Lith said:

Do we have any idea who he has ties to as OC/QB coach that would come with him?

I personally dont think hes a fit, but there are 2 keys to Harbough: 

1.  Staff

2. Humility

His OC now came from Alabama as a pretty highly touted hire and the offense clearly can't get it together.  His OC in SF was Greg Roman so I doubt he takes him from Baltimore, so im not sure who he has ties to as an OC.  Could he lure a younger, smart college OC?  HIs DC is Don Brown, who is an accomplished DC, but is also 65 and not really a pro-coach.  He does run a blitz-heavy, 3-4 defense so we would need to get a pass-rushing OLB and better CB.

As for humility, Harbough's schtick ran thin in SF and really alienated the players.  The rah-rah stuff works for a time in the NFL but you have to know when to dial it back and step on the gas.  If he can better manage that, similar to coughlin with the Giants, then he could be an interesting fit.  

Harbaugh’ s problems at Michigan are largely attributed to his inability to recruit to the level needed to compete for conference and national titles.  16 and 17 year old kids don’t really know or care about who Jim Harbaugh was.  Michigan, because of their name and legacy will attract by default a certain level of recruit, but to challenge OSU and to challenge nationally, they simply need better players.   I don’t think Harbaugh‘s personality plays very well on the recruiting trail and in the homes with prospective recruits.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Harbaugh’ s problems at Michigan are largely attributed to his inability to recruit to the level needed to compete for conference and national titles.  16 and 17 year old kids don’t really know or care about who Jim Harbaugh was.  Michigan, because of their name and legacy will attract by default a certain level of recruit, but to challenge OSU and to challenge nationally, they simply need better players.   I don’t think Harbaugh‘s personality plays very well on the recruiting trail and in the homes with prospective recruits.  

Interesting end to a BIG10 article today on ESPN.com......."while there is growing unrest in Ann Arbor, the New York Jets may be hiring soon."?

10 hours ago, Lith said:

I think this is where there is a big difference between coaching in college and in the NFL.  I remember being at Clemson spring practice during Trevors freshman year.  My old roommate and I were talking to Jeff Scott the Clemson OC at the time, and we were talking about how programs “develop” these QBs when they get on campus.  Scott said that you can’t really “develop” these kids with long term goals in mind, it’s much more about getting them game ready and comfortable with the playbook and with specific week to week game plans.  They simply don’t have the time to get into overhauling mechanics or changing motions.   The goal is to win games at the college level and to not necessarily develop them to be NFL QBs.  There is a much more short term approach, where in the NFL you can take a somewhat longer term approach.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The success or lack thereof with Jim Harbaugh would hinge on the relationship with JD. I could see a clash between a Jim Harbaugh type and Joe Douglas, but I could also see two football minds meshing and building a successful franchise. If we grade this on the curve, Jim Harbaugh is a massive upgrade over Gase., but then again, Todd Bowles would be an upgrade over Gase. 

• Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Wut? 

Here is Michigan’s recruiting rankings since 2016.  (Harbaugh got there in 2015 so 2016 would have been his first full recruiting class)

2016: 8

2017: 5

20218: 22

2019: 8

2020: 12

He has recruited plenty of talent to compete in college  

6 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Wut? 

Here is Michigan’s recruiting rankings since 2016.  (Harbaugh got there in 2015 so 2016 would have been his first full recruiting class)

2016: 8

2017: 5

20218: 22

2019: 8

2020: 12

He has recruited plenty of talent to compete in college  

And he’s been more successful than his predecessors. Michigan is not an easy job relative to expectations. 

Brian Kelly had a 4-8 Year at ND