Should Jets turn to Michigan's Jim Harbaugh as answer at HC?

Should the NY Jets hire Jim Harbaugh has HC  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NY Jets hire Jim Harbaugh as HC

On 11/3/2020 at 10:52 AM, playtowinthegame said:

Michigan was a program that had fallen before Harbaugh came there. You act like he took something that was good and made it worse.

I think you're being intellectually dishonest here. They did not pay Harbaugh 8 mil a year to be 3rd in the B1G and get embarrassed year after year by tOSU.

He has not done his job there. They brought him in to get to the CFP and beat Ohio State. He's done neither job.

• Upvote 4

A coach's record in college has nothing to do with his ability to coach in the NFL. His prior success with the 49ers - 1 SB appearance and 2 other NFC championship appearances in 4 seasons is 100x more important than what he did against OSU.  College is all about recruiting. The NFL is about Xs and Os and systems.  He will be the best option out there by a wide margin.  People want Bienemy?  A coach who is really an assistant OC and who doesn't call his own plays over a coach who averaged 10+ wins a year for a team that was garbage when he was named coach and reverted back to garbage when he left?  College and the NFL are two different worlds.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

A coach's record in college has nothing to do with his ability to coach in the NFL. His prior success with the 49ers - 1 SB appearance and 2 other NFC championship appearances in 4 seasons is 100x more important than what he did against OSU.  College is all about recruiting. The NFL is about Xs and Os and systems.  He will be the best option out there by a wide margin.  People want Bienemy?  A coach who is really an assistant OC and who doesn't call his own plays over a coach who averaged 10+ wins a year for a team that was garbage when he was named coach and reverted back to garbage when he left?  College and the NFL are two different worlds.

Please explain his record vs MSU. 3-3, 0-3 at home with a team that has the advantage in recruiting and money.

If you're gonna bring in Harbaugh, why not Dantonio? He's been kicking Harbaugh's ass up and down the field for 6 years now with a worse team.

On 11/1/2020 at 10:30 PM, slimjasi said:

I think his personality works a lot better in the pros than in college

He's an NFL coach, IMO. 

He also did very well in his only NFL HC job. 

My only issue with Harbaugh is that I wouldn't trust him to be here long term. I get the impression that he's a guy who wears people out after awhile. 

Exactly. He isn't a bad coach but after four or so years people who matter (Including Jim) want him out.

17 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Forget about tOSU, they're light years ahead of Michigan talent wise. Can someone explain why Michigan is 3-3 vs MSU in Harbaugh's tenure - INCLUDING 0-3 at the Big House?

This guy is NOT what you think he is. If he came to the Jets you'd have people calling for his head by year 2.

As versus Gates, where people were calling for his head the day he was hired...

14 hours ago, Philc1 said:

If Michigan loses either today to Indiana or next week to Wisconsin the the rumor mill will be a churning

Jim Harbaugh needs to come back to the NFL. HOPEFULLY it's the Jets. He'd be the best candidate for the job if he's interested in coming to the Jets. Instant credibility for the Jets franchise that sorely needs some after our last decade capped by a likely winless season.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Jim Harbaugh needs to come back to the NFL. HOPEFULLY it's the Jets. He'd be the best candidate for the job if he's interested in coming to the Jets. Instant credibility for the Jets franchise that sorely needs some after our last decade capped by a likely winless season.

His skills as a coach are more suited to the pro game.  The jets can offer him a big contract and Trevor Lawrence

Jets should hire Big Ten veteran to replace head coach Adam Gase, ESPN analyst says

Updated 9:10 AM; Today 8:40 AM 
College football: Michigan vs. Michigan State – October 31, 2020

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh could be a candidate to replace New York Jets head coach Adam Gase.Mike Mulholland | MLive.com

New York Jets head coach Adam Gase is a dead man walking thanks to his 0-9 record this season.

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh is in a similar predicament, with the Wolverines off to a 1-2 start.

Harbaugh has just one year left on his deal at Michigan and has hinted that a return to the NFL could interest him.

Put one and one together and you get what ESPN analyst and former Jets quarterback Greg McElroy said Tuesday morning on “Get Up!” Per YardBarker:

“Don’t sleep on the possibility of Jim Harbaugh maybe returning to the NFL from Michigan as a guy that could potentially take over that organization that has fallen on hard times,” McElroy said on Get Up. “We know [Jets owner] Woody Johnson likes to make a splash.”

Before returning to his alma mater as Michigan head coach, Harbaugh was with the San Francisco 49ers for four seasons, going 44-19 and leading them to Super Bowl XLII, which he lost to his brother, Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh.

Jim Harbaugh is in his sixth season at Michigan. During that time he’s gone 77-41, winning at least nine games in four seasons. But he’s just 2-5 in bowl games, including bowl losses in each of the last four campaigns.

Harbaugh also played 14 years in the NFL from 1987 to 2000. The quarterback had stints with the Chicago Bears, Indianapolis Colts, Ravens and San Diego Chargers.

• Upvote 1

You'd have to be a damn fool of a Jets fan if you truly want to put Trevor Lawrence in the hands of a former bust NFL RB & glorified 15 year RB coach in Eric freaking Bieniemy...

Instead of a true offensive minded and QB driven Jim Harbaugh; who played the QB position himself on an NFL level for 14 years and even led his Baltimore Colts to an AFC Championship Game and 1 play away from the SB..

Not only did Jim Harbaugh coach up and develop a younger true Freshman/Sophomore in Andrew Luck into the greatest QB prospect to declare since dating back to John Elway and Peyton Manning @ Stanford and even went 12-1 alongside of Luck during his Sophomore season (before bolting for the NFL)...

But many Jet fans seem to forget how Jim Harbaugh (also) completely saved Alex Smith's NFL career and immediately turned him from a former 1st overall career loser of an NFL bust into an awesome NFL QB (immediately, too).

Alex Smith from 2005-2010 (before Jim?
50 starts (5 years/4 seasons).
0 winning season.
19-31 losing record (.380%).
864/1,514 (57.1%).
9,399 passing yards.
6.2 yards per pass attempt.
51 TDs/53 INTs (-0.96 TD to INT Ratio).
QB Rating of 72.1.

Vs....

Alex Smith from 2011-2012 (alongside Jim):
25 starts (2 seasons).
2 winning seasons.
19-5-1 winning record (.760%).
426/663 (64.3%).
4,881 passing yards.
7.4 yards per pass attempt.
30 TDs/10 INT's (+3.0 TD to INT Ratio).
QB Rating of 95.1.

Which is something that's not talked about nearly enough or even acknowledged from Jet fans (for some reason).

You know what else isn't discussed enough about Jim Harbaugh and his QB ability?

How immediately following Jim's departure from San Francisco (kid Kaep just couldn't win without his head coach anymore).

Colin Kaepernick from 2011-2014 (Alongside Jim).
48 games/39 starts.
25-14 winning record (.641%).
671/1,117 (60.1%).
8,415 passing yards.
7.5 yards per pass attempt.
50 TDs/21 INT's (+2.38 TD to INT Ratio).
261 rushing attempts.
1,576 rushing yards (6.0 yards per carry).
10 rushing TDs.
QB Rating of 90.6.

vs...

Colin Kaepernick from 2015-2016 (Post/After Jim?
21 games/19 starts.
3-16 losing record (.157%).
340/575 (59.1%).
3,856 passing yards.
6.7 yards per pass attempt.
22 TDs/9 INT's (+2.4 TD to INT Ratio).
114 rushing attempts.
724 rushing yards (6.4 yards per carry).
3 rushing TDs.
QB Rating of 85.5

Kaep/Alex (combined) without Jim:
Losing Record of 22-47 (.318%).

I rest my case.

Any Jet fan who would pick a glorified RB coach in Bieniemy, and trust him enough to coach up and develop Trevor Lawrence instead of a true QB driven Harbaugh; is absolutely nuts.

From developing Andrew Luck into the greatest prospect since Elway/Manning to turning around a former 1st overall bust Alex Smith into an awesome QB all the way to Kaep not knowing how to win without his coach anymore etc and omg I literally can not imagine what he'd do alongside of TREVOR LAWRENCE (who's way better than them all) as a former NFL QB of 14 years himself

Did I forget to mention his All-Time 5th highest NFL Head Coaching Winning Percentage of .695% or his 3 NFC Championship Games & 1 SB appearance without a single losing record throughout a 4 year dominant NFL run? 

Bieniemy?!?!? lol (just check out his NCAA resume) hahaha

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

On 11/5/2020 at 6:20 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And embarrassed the shlt out of REX...... used wildcat on us .  he scares me but I’d take him.  

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Why?

Probably because Harbaugh will want full roster control and Douglas would have three or four years left on his contract, so it's unlikely he would either resign or be fired to make way for Harbaugh, due to the payout he would be due for leaving the role early.

When you read the newspapers you see the tension at Universities between sports programs and academics.  

Michigan is a world class educational institution, like Notre Dame, and Stanford.   It is harder for Harbaugh to compete with some of the other schools in his Conference.  

He was a great NFL coach.  He is a meh, overpaid college coach.   He should move to the NFL.  In a way the job is easier-no recruiting.

The Johnsons just have to pay him like Rhule, while still having JD control the roster.  Both report to the bumblers.  I think its a big improvement.  May not be the ultimate answer, but it advances the team miles. 

9 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

What's funny is Michigan has had a rotating roster of garbage at QB - these are 5 star guys that Harbaugh has failed to develop.

Please enlighten me. 

Which "5 star recruits" @ QB dating back to 2015 are you referring to?

Because...

Jake Rudock was his 2015 QB: And he was only a 3 star recruit (https://247sports.com/Player/Jake-Rudock-842/high-school-1959/)

Wilton Speight was his 2016 QB: And he was only a 3 star recruit (https://247sports.com/Player/Wilton-Speight-16545/high-school-27361/)

John O'Korn/Brandon Peters were his 2017 QB's: And John O'Korn was another 3 star recruit and Brandon Peters was a 4 star recruit (https://247sports.com/Player/John-OKorn-9277/high-school-1978/

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Brandon-Peters-at-Avon-62084/RecruitRankHistory/

Shea Patterson of 2018 & 2019 was his only 5 star recruit so what are you really even trying to say outside of lies? 

https://247sports.com/Player/Shea-Patterson-27311/high-school-147432/

And I wouldn't say that Harbaugh "failed" @ developing the kid (his only 5 star recruit ever @ Michigan) because Shea under Jim (2018-2019) combined for a winning record of 19-7 and went 424/706 (60.1%), 5,661 passing yards, 45 TD's/15 INTs and a QB Rating of 144.2 (during his only two years with Harbaugh) after coming to Michigan as an NCAA transfer (2 years @ Ole Miss). 

And PS: It's hard to "develop a 5 star recruit" when Shea wasn't "developed" out of HS by Jim, because he spent his first two NCAA years @ Ole Miss with a career losing record of 4-6 @ Ole Miss before going 19-7 @ Michigan with Jim, um; you did know that... Right?

If anything Jim saved Shea and gave him a chance @ the NFL by taking him on as a transfer and Shea ending up going to KC Chiefs as an undrafted FA (but wasn't even good enough to make Andy Reid's practice squad). 

And Joe Milton is his 2020 QB: And is once again, not a "5 star recruit" and was only a 4 star recruit coming out (204th ranked HS prospect coming out lol)

https://247sports.com/Player/Joe-Milton-89866/high-school-172166/

Learn the difference between 3 and 4 star recruits before you ever go accusing Jim of failing to develop 5 star recruits. 

You want to see what true 5 star recruits look like? lol I can teach you and you can learn... (Because you obviously don't know or understand and/or comprehend the difference). 

https://247sports.com/Player/Trevor-Lawrence-61350/

https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Fields-91048/high-school-174915/

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/AllTimeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=QB

You must be thinking of J.J. McCarthy (5 star recruit class of 2021) who doesn't arrive @ Michigan until next year of 2021 lol and who's Jim Harbaugh's first and only true 5 star QB Recruit (since arriving @ Michigan).

On 11/3/2020 at 5:13 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

this was a great post. 

yes it was. Now it's my turn to pat my fellow Orange friend on the head...

On 11/3/2020 at 9:57 AM, playtowinthegame said:

You asked me what he's done. I answered, and you didn't like the facts I gave you. You now are taking the position he's done "nothing" because he hasn't won a single national championship at Michigan. Give me a break. I guess you'll only approve interviewing coaches from the college ranks who won a national championship. That seems like a narrow and SIMPLE MINDED way of thinking.

Laugh all you want, but the fact is there isn't a viable candidate out there who would bring instant credibility to the Jets franchise like hiring Jim Harbaugh would. I'm curious, you're bashing others for wanting Jim Harbaugh, but who is the guy you want? He must have a national championship under his belt based on you thinking Jim Harbaugh is "trash" because he hasn't won a national championship at Michigan.

Congratulations for finding someone on the internet who agrees with you. YoU ReaLLy ArE a MaSteR DeBaTeR.

Wow. 

You just turned oatmeal into a plate of lumpy grits.

Impressive.

• Haha 1

How old are Harbaugh’s kids? Seems like he has a lot of them. 

The problem with the Jets is that their big decisions are very business oriented.  The splash, the QB from GQ, etc.  

Hiring Harbaugh is BRILLIANT from a business perspective.  Trevor shuts up about playing for the Jets.  The fans are energized.   He would be close to Parcells in having an impact on changing the direction of the team.

Greg Roman-not so much. 

14 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Please enlighten me. 

Which "5 star recruits" @ QB dating back to 2015 are you referring to?

Because...

Jake Rudock was his 2015 QB: And he was only a 3 star recruit (https://247sports.com/Player/Jake-Rudock-842/high-school-1959/)

Wilton Speight was his 2016 QB: And he was only a 3 star recruit (https://247sports.com/Player/Wilton-Speight-16545/high-school-27361/)

John O'Korn/Brandon Peters were his 2017 QB's: And John O'Korn was another 3 star recruit and Brandon Peters was a 4 star recruit (https://247sports.com/Player/John-OKorn-9277/high-school-1978/

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Brandon-Peters-at-Avon-62084/RecruitRankHistory/

Shea Patterson of 2018 & 2019 was his only 5 star recruit so what are you really even trying to say outside of lies? 

https://247sports.com/Player/Shea-Patterson-27311/high-school-147432/

And I wouldn't say that Harbaugh "failed" @ developing the kid (his only 5 star recruit ever @ Michigan) because Shea under Jim (2018-2019) combined for a winning record of 19-7 and went 424/706 (60.1%), 5,661 passing yards, 45 TD's/15 INTs and a QB Rating of 144.2 (during his only two years with Harbaugh) after coming to Michigan as an NCAA transfer (2 years @ Ole Miss). 

And PS: It's hard to "develop a 5 star recruit" when Shea wasn't "developed" out of HS by Jim, because he spent his first two NCAA years @ Ole Miss with a career losing record of 4-6 @ Ole Miss before going 19-7 @ Michigan with Jim, um; you did know that... Right?

If anything Jim saved Shea and gave him a chance @ the NFL by taking him on as a transfer and Shea ending up going to KC Chiefs as an undrafted FA (but wasn't even good enough to make Andy Reid's practice squad). 

And Joe Milton is his 2020 QB: And is once again, not a "5 star recruit" and was only a 4 star recruit coming out (204th ranked HS prospect coming out lol)

https://247sports.com/Player/Joe-Milton-89866/high-school-172166/

Learn the difference between 3 and 4 star recruits before you ever go accusing Jim of failing to develop 5 star recruits. 

You want to see what true 5 star recruits look like? lol I can teach you and you can learn... (Because you obviously don't know or understand and/or comprehend the difference). 

https://247sports.com/Player/Trevor-Lawrence-61350/

https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Fields-91048/high-school-174915/

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/AllTimeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=QB

You must be thinking of J.J. McCarthy (5 star recruit class of 2021) who doesn't arrive @ Michigan until next year of 2021 lol and who's Jim Harbaugh's first and only true 5 star QB Recruit (since arriving @ Michigan).

McCaffrey was a 5 star and couldn't wait to get away from Harbaugh. But feel free to enlighten me - it seems that you have a wealth of knowledge on this topic.