People close to Trevor “Are Jets the place you really want to be?”

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

They are going to hire a coach that is pleasing to Trevor and one that can get the most out of his talents.

I hope so.

They have the most cap space in the NFL.

Is that true?  If so, that's great.....if we start spending it.

It is the NY market. If you win with the Jets you are a legend forever.

The single most over-rated "factor" re: the Draft IMO.  I don't think it means anything to college prospects, beyond very high taxation and reduced salary income.  Even Eli, a multiple Super Bowl QB, was barely a blip on TV in Adverts, and mostly because he's related to Peyton.....who played in Indy, hardly a media capital.  The NFL's "faces" are an Ex-Indy player, a Chief, a Seahawk and a Packer.  No NY players are "famous" outside NY because of NY being a big media market.

And I'd say the odds based on history show going to NY (as a Jet) materially lowers your chance of being great.  So not winning.  Not a legend.  

Joe Douglas had a very good first draft and this team is loaded with draft picks.

True on both fronts.

The second Gase is fired the ENTIRE narrative around this franchise changes.

I look forward to that moment.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Have they ever released the parameters of his deal? I don’t recall and typically the Jets don’t.

https://sny.tv/articles/jets-land-their-top-gm-choice-hiring-star-joe-douglas#:~:text=But the Jets were persistent,coach Adam Gase currently has.

Vacchiano (decent Jets cred) says 6 years at over 3 million per year. 

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Right. 

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reported that Rhule withdrew his name from the running after the Jets wanted him to choose his coaching staff from a list of assistants they would provide. 
"I don't want to say anything about THAT job ... at the end of the day, I'm never going to be in an arranged marriage," he 
said on ESPN 1660 in Dallas

Yeah, really sounds like it was about money. Nice one. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Lawrence will have leverage. It’s not out of the realm of possibilities. The Jets are a disaster and it’s common knowledge that the owners are cheap.

Really what is his leverage - go back to Clemson and risk injury or sub-par season dropping his draft stock.

Would he risk telling the Jets he won't sign basically playing Russian roulette on who they'd possibly trade him to ( Jax/Was/Den) and taking less money to do so. 

If the Jets pick him #1 - he's signing with the Jets. 

• Upvote 2

Ok let’s say Lawrence says I’m not playing for the Jets. Now what are his options? We already saw Douglas play hard ball with Jamal. He wasn’t trading him unless he got the right package. 

If Jax doesn’t put together a package where else is he being traded to? Jets could just draft him anyway and call his bluff

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Ok let’s say Lawrence says I’m not playing for the Jets. Now what are his options? We already saw Douglas play hard ball with Jamal. He wasn’t trading him unless he got the right package. 

If Jax doesn’t put together a package where else is he being traded to? Jets could just draft him anyway and call his bluff

The Jets are drafting him no matter what (Colts drafted Elway, Chargers drafted Eli). If he really doesn't want to be a Jet, he tells them to trade him and gives them a list of teams. There is a bidding war between those teams and the Jets take the best deal. Star players who want to get traded usually end up getting traded. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Elway and Eli situations were very unique. In Elway's case, he had the extra leverage of threatening to play baseball. In both cases, Eli and Elway had influential fathers who were pushing them to seek a trade. Archie wanted Eli in the NY market and away from a perceived bad franchise (Chargers) and Jack Elway had a beef with the Baltimore coach (Frank Kush - who was rumored to run brutal practices and abuse his young players). 

• Upvote 1

If we have the first pick, He'll be here playing for the jets next season.  Only way he boycotts is if the jets insist they are keeping Gase long term.  THEN I can see his agent making a push for a trade or decline to sign.  With all indications gase is gone at years end (if not before), I can't see a way that he doesn't accept being drafted here. 

Franchise Left Tackle

Good young WR

Tons of Draft Capital

Top 3 in terms of Cap space to add talent

Add that to a well respected General Manager who had a good first draft, and a new coach... I just dont see any of that as an issue for him despite the Jets continued buffoonary. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, JTJet said:

It amazes me that people 100% believe that there is zero chance he forces a trade. 

There is ACTUAL precedent for this a couple times in the history of the NFL draft, and the conditions for it to happen again are lining up. 

No way will he force a trade or stay in school.  TL is not foolish, nor is his agent.  It is clear that the Jets have a very strong plan to compete and achieve sustained success with Joe Douglas.  All the stock piled draft picks and cap money *IS* for Trevor Lawrence's team and future.  It is not just a sales pitch that JD will make.  It is fact and it is truth.  Add to that, the Jets, despite their recent record are a premiere NFL franchise.  NYC media market, strong fan base to go along with some of the best player facilities in the entire league.  The Jets have one of the highest paid staffs in the league and the best doctors and advisers are available for all the players.  Also consider an owner that has deep pockets and likes to spend on his team. 

No way would anyone turn down a chance to be a Jet as the first over all pick.

Stop thinking like a Jets fan.   It is one of the best places that a player can go to, especially right now, when the team's on field performance is going to start keeping pace with the other attractive reasons to be NY Jet

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Have they ever released the parameters of his deal? I don’t recall and typically the Jets don’t.

Says who?  Whenever contract numbers have been released the coaches have been paid what coaches of their stature are paid.  As it is for most teams in the league minus the rare exceptions of long standing successful coaches like Gruden, Belichick, Tomlin or a over pay to a Ruhle.  You look to hire a top coordinator, next HC type like Bowles was at the time, hes kind of slotted in, they're not going to squeeze him, he'll move on.  

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I respectfully disagree with this position.  If anything, his Christianity, southern roots and his family's staunch Republican political stance could possibly (and I stress the word possibly) influence him to seek a trade.

Plenty of hard core Southerners think the northeast is filled with libtard heathens who want to take your money and give it to lazy poor people (their words...not mine).  Hell, I know plenty of people in Indiana who think like this and Indiana is not "the South".  

I take nothing for granted in this political climate and while I doubt he forces a trade....it also wouldn't surprise me.

Plenty of Republican areas in NJ. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

wtf does Lawrence know about NFL coaches?  Nothing.  They are not going to run by candidates to him and it would he a hellish mistake to do so.

F Lawrence. He has no idea what he is in for. He’s the best QB prospect ever? Pfft. The Jets can and will destroy him. The Jets can destroy the greatest of the greats with ease. The only thing that he is going to get is PAIN. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The single most over-rated "factor" re: the Draft IMO.  I don't think it means anything to college prospects, beyond very high taxation and reduced salary income.  Even Eli, a multiple Super Bowl QB, was barely a blip on TV in Adverts, and mostly because he's related to Peyton.....who played in Indy, hardly a media capital.  The NFL's "faces" are an Ex-Indy player, a Chief, a Seahawk and a Packer.  No NY players are "famous" outside NY because of NY being a big media market.

Thats what people who dont play in the NY market or hate NY say.  Sure, A Rodgers, Mahomes, Labron etc, superstars arent kept from becoming superstars because theyre in KC, GB or Cleveland.  But it is a place where Chad did ads, where Barkley is making commercials, players get national announcing gigs while Dak, Zeke and the majority of players in small markets are held out.  

It not for everybody but if you want to take advantage of what's available to you it can be more lucrative.  

2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reported that Rhule withdrew his name from the running after the Jets wanted him to choose his coaching staff from a list of assistants they would provide. 
"I don't want to say anything about THAT job ... at the end of the day, I'm never going to be in an arranged marriage," he 
said on ESPN 1660 in Dallas

Yeah, really sounds like it was about money. Nice one. 

To be fair, Macc was the GM then. I'm hoping JD has enough sense to not do that.

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

2 1st(one from Seattle), 1 2nd, and 2 3rd(one from Seattle). This is assuming Seattle isn't in super bowl and worst case scenario it's still 5 in top 96. 

Essentially 6 in the top 100, the last pick may be just out of 100 depending on number of 3rd round comp picks awarded.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

F Lawrence. He has no idea what he is in for. He’s the best QB prospect ever? Pfft. The Jets can and will destroy him. The Jets can destroy the greatest of the greats with ease. The only thing that he is going to get is PAIN. 

Joe Namath got the great QB developing HC that allowed his talents to develop...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

To be fair, Macc was the GM then. I'm hoping JD has enough sense to not do that.

JD has the brains in spades.  The Jets finally have what they have been missing.  The right man at the GM spot.  That has been missing for over two decades.  That has been the problem.  Tanny had good insight into player quality and understood contact language, but he was not "in command".  He was a push over for who ever talked the loudest.  Idzik was an absolute disaster and never should have been considered for the GM role.  Mr. Coffee was not only way out of his depth, but he was never going to be the man that could take charge as would be needed in the Jet's diffuse management structure.  Joe Douglas has all the qualities needed to *finally* captain the Jets to sustained success.  He clearly knows how to evaluate talent, he is not going to give out bloated contracts to retreads and just as importantly, he has the alpha balls to own the position and keep both the HC and owner out of his kitchen.   

Even before the acquisition of Trevor Lawrence dawned on the football world, I was convince the Jets were on track due to the hire of Douglas.  Adding Trevor Lawrence takes things from *very good* to *remarkably fantastic*.

I'm critical of the Jets as is called for, but right now, I'm pretty excited. 

Don't worry about Lawrence rejecting the Jets.  He and his agent will talk to JD and the benefits to them will be clear.  There wont even be a rookie hold out.  I'm that sure of JD.  

13 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Key point "were" historically bad on offense. Its a big difference throwing to Jeff Smith and Chris Hogan vs Perriman and Mimms. This was Darnold's first game with them and already you saw more explosive plays than he had all year. Miami is a top 5 defense. When they play the Raiders Darnold will light them up just like he did last year. The Jets secondary is entirely revamped than it was at the beginning of the year and is playing much better. These will all be close coin flip games. If the Jaguars don't win Jets have only a 25% to get the first pick.

3 points and 2 picks sure are explosive to me in regards to Sammy boy. Nothing on Sunday has shown me that Darnold is a threat or is  a detriment to the tank or getting Trevor at all. 

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

If we have the first pick, He'll be here playing for the jets next season.  Only way he boycotts is if the jets insist they are keeping Gase long term.  THEN I can see his agent making a push for a trade or decline to sign.  With all indications gase is gone at years end (if not before), I can't see a way that he doesn't accept being drafted here. 

Franchise Left Tackle

Good young WR

Tons of Draft Capital

Top 3 in terms of Cap space to add talent

Add that to a well respected General Manager who had a good first draft, and a new coach... I just dont see any of that as an issue for him despite the Jets continued buffoonary.

He wouldn't normally but with a clean pass by the media begging him to do it why wouldn't he say okay trade me to the team of my choice.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

wtf does Lawrence know about NFL coaches?  Nothing.  They are not going to run by candidates to him and it would he a hellish mistake to do so.

I’m pretty sure he didn’t mean he’d help choose the next HC. But when they meet with him, they’ll tell him why the new guy is right for him and the team, and why they’re in a good spot now. 

21 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Very true...but when it comes to politics, facts don't really matter anymore.

Trevor Lawrence is not basing his decision off of which way the states constituents swing politically lol. Maybe taxes come into play...but this is not relevant to a 22 year old. 

4 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I respectfully disagree with this position.  If anything, his Christianity, southern roots and his family's staunch Republican political stance could possibly (and I stress the word possibly) influence him to seek a trade.

Plenty of hard core Southerners think the northeast is filled with libtard heathens who want to take your money and give it to lazy poor people (their words...not mine).  Hell, I know plenty of people in Indiana who think like this and Indiana is not "the South".  

I take nothing for granted in this political climate and while I doubt he forces a trade....it also wouldn't surprise me.

Good thing then Woody is a staunch republican and can relate to him in that way.