Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seriously, is it lost on so many that this is a repeat of the Maccagnan draft strategy?

1. Failed QB on the roster but don't draft a prospect this year because it's worse for the GM's career to swing if he misses, than to not swing at all.

2. Don't draft a position that improves the team the most at a high value position, but rather use it on the pick that's either the lowest perceived bust or the least risky pick in terms of being second guessed.

3. In doing #2 above, GM uses the team's highest draft pick asset to upgrade a low-cost FA position, or one that is often or typically filled plenty adequately by picks outside the top 10 if not outside round 1 outright. In this case, using the #2 pick to upgrade at RT. Because LT is already set it is irrelevant which of Sewell or Becton plays LT or RT; either way RT is the position they're upgrading. 

The only relative positives I read in the whole insider summaries are these points:

1. JD is not dead set on Sewell at #2 and is more than willing to field offers (so he can use such a high pick to upgrade more than just RT, if he in fact realizes this is what such a selection does). A relative positive based on the hope someone in dire need of a LT will make us a good enough offer.

2. JD is calling the shots not a Johnson. It's not that JD has some proven track record for success so much as both Johnsons have a proven record of failure, and a possibility of success is better than certainty of failure. For a Jets fan this is a relative positive.

3. It sounds like Gase is 100% out the door. But the uninspiring names of likely replacements again makes this a relative rather than an absolute positive. 

@Mogglez please forward the above to your friend with instructions to print and slide under JD’s door.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I’m saying that they had the foundation in place before drafting Allen.  I said that the Jets could do the same next year.  Stick with Sam, see what happens, and if he fails, the QB we draft in 2022 then comes into a great scenario, as Allen did.

Wilson is a far better prospect than anyone in next years draft. We better decide if Darnold is the long term answer and if he isn't just draft Wilson now. I want no part of the veteran retread if Darnold falls on his face next year.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Wait what?

They found the franchise QB- Allen is legit.  The Bills aren't winning because of their defense, they're winning because Allen is the real deal.

And sure, If Darnold all of a sudden becomes good - then sure.  But if he doesn't you wasted the #2 pick on a Tackle and have to take your QB next year from 10 or 11.  But It really isn't the end of the world if you keep Darnold for a year..

But it would idiotic if you focus on Defense - at all.  If Darnold fails you want your new young QB coming into a stacked offense.  It really is simple.  But any premium resources into defense would be very Macagnian.

I think Douglas is trying to copy the Baltimore blueprint of having a strong defense and running game. While Baltimore is definitely a solid team they are not winning another Super Bowl with Lamar throwing his ducks up every game.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seriously, is it lost on so many that this is a repeat of the Maccagnan draft strategy?

2. JD is calling the shots not a Johnson. It's not that JD has some proven track record for success so much as both Johnsons have a proven record of failure, and a possibility of success is better than certainty of failure. For a Jets fan this is a relative positive.

Everything else is convincing, but this is the part i'm struggling to believe. I'll believe it when i see it. 

Johnsons will overrule JD on critical decisions, like who to pick 2nd overall. This is my prediction, and i haven't seen much to think otherwise. 

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

17E4F2B4-3061-4396-8EC4-CFD32896943C.thumb.jpeg.7968e1622052b87285ec1970d2468ded.jpeg

52C6FD9B-E1B0-4549-AA15-D80A87BFF868.thumb.jpeg.8626a7e5bd6b1ad56a3e3878f49b44ef.jpeg

I could keep going.  I don’t do this for any reason other than I want provide information for you guys.  As I’ve said, others can vouch for me and my source.  Considering that we only got our first win last week, it shouldn’t be to hard to fathom that there were contingency plans in place for a while now.  Draft work does not happen after the season.  Work started a while back.  A source can pass information to anyone.  Mine trusts me and has for a long time.  Nothing I have said or revealed is going to give them away so there is no fear in them when they tell me I can share it here.

My takeaway:

You need to charge your phone.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

It's funny. I hear so many times how the Jets let Pete Carroll go or Bill Belichik etc.  Those guys failed at their first HC gigs (and 2nd in Carrolls case).  Lewis, while not my first choice, is a very good coach who made a frugal org very competitive for a decade. Good coaches are good coaches and he is a good coach.  He's the perfect guy to get a 2nd shot. 

I don't understand why any Jets fan would be excited to jump back on the first time coordinator merry go round. It has never worked for us (Rex's 1st 2 yrs excluded). Guys like Daboll, Bienemy, Smith and even 1 1/2 year OC Brady are really who we think is turning this train wreck around?  How many times do we have to try this? At least a guy like Roman has done his thing with 3 orgs and 5 QB's. But these 1 or 2 year wonder boys are who we've gone for since Walton. Every time it's the same thing. I would be upset if that happened. 

I would take Lewis over any of those noobs any day of the week.  

Matt Campbell

Bill Cowher (pipe dream)

Greg Roman (Marvin Lewis DC??) 

Marvin Lewis

Fitzgerald 

That's my list.   But with all that said Firing Gase NEEDS to happen first. That's the most important thing.

With all due respect your list sucks.

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I could see Darnold starting, but if so, it's extremely problematic.

1) I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist, but it potentially speaks to the conflict of interest issue re: the same agent that @Matt39 and @Waka Flocka Flacco are speaking about.  Sam Darnold has been bad.  Very bad.  On the football field.  Sure, "but, reasons," but the bottom line is he hasn't earned any more time, and passing an opportunity to improve the most important position seems like "but, reasons," as well.

2) If they believe in Darnold: A) what are they watching, and B.) Why did they let it get this far with Gase?

3) As @Sperm Edwards points out, and I stated earlier, it's the Maccagnan strategy all over again.  Take as few risks as possible, so you never actually get any better but can extend your career.

4) It's just terrible management.  Sam Darnold will be better next year.  This is a given.  We'll be playing a last place schedule, and have plenty of draft capital and free agent money.  But, it's also decision time on him.  If he goes and and plays "ok," are you ready to reward him with his 100M contract?  Does he need to play great to get that, as he should?  Because, what is the possible explanation of going from worst to top 1/3rd?  If it's Adam Gase, see point 2.  Obviously, unless he's great, the point is, it's too late on Darnold.

5) They're not going to pick top 2 again.  See point 4: They'll have the last place schedule, and an improved team.  Getting the QB you want next year is no guarantee.  So, you're leaving your self open to having to extend Darnold because there's no alternatives, which reeks of, "we didn't get Manning, so give a bunch of money to Sanchez."  Everyone has to hope that Darnold is a complete disaster next year, or a top 10 QB.  While the former is unlikely, the later is more so, so chances are, we have a QB problem next year.  Even if you're not 100% sold on the QB, what's your path to getting even the 2nd best QB prospect next year.

6) If I'm wrong and we end up picking top 3 (maybe even top 5) again, JD should be fired.  This year I have no issue with it.  Two years in a row, and with a top 2 pick and another 1st rounder, hard to put it all on Macc.

7) No doubt it hampers the HC search.  Sources may say the league is higher on him, but how many coaches are going to be excited about being the 3rd coach to get involved with this guy who's gotten two others fired?

Based on all of this, it's completely incompatible to me that, "Joe Douglas wants to give Darnold another shot" and "Joe Douglas knows what he's doing and it's good that he's in charge."

Douglas is putting his job on the line with this Darnold decision. If we pass on Wilson and Darnold flops again we will be looking for a new GM within a few years ( I would say after next season but no way is ownership going to pay him 3 years salary to go away). Bottom line is the QB is going to either save or cost this GM his job.

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

I have my beliefs as to the way to build a consistently competitive Championship calibut team.  Trenches above all else (Oline!), elite drafted Skill players on O, and ultimately a control-type QB who doesn't turn the ball over and can complete at 68-72% of his passes consistently.  A solid Defense but not over-invested cap wise.  Defense is secondary to Offense.  I believe you invest your real capital in Offense and scoring.  Talent all around.  A great red-zone and possession/mismatch TE is > than a great "edge" in my world (yes I know to most here that is blasphemy).  IMO that IS the modern NFL, scoring > all else.

So I like the idea JD likes Sewell.  It's in line with my thinking and priorities.  I'd like to see it followed up with an elite playmaking RB and another young WR to pair with Mims, Crowder and whomever we may get in FA at WR (presume Perriman is gone).  And I'd even go so far as to say our 3rd round pick needs to be the best Center available (I said that last year too, and I was right!).

Most TEs probably wish they had the physical ability to be Edge Rushers or, even better, Power Forwards. That's where the elite athletes that size are making the money. I love a great TE, I also love finding them in the fourth round or later. While I agree that offense is where you need to invest, I would hate a TE or RB in their top three picks while not minding an Edge or CB at all. While you're putting together that offense that can score points, you need a defense that can get the football back into the offense's hands. Three & outs, turnovers, that's what an elite edge player brings the team. 

If they draft Sewell, they would need to move a potentially elite LT in Becton to RT, and it would be the plan from that moment on not to resign both of them four years from now. Becton would immediately start planning his escape to get back in the premium LT position. It would be a good four year run, though, so I'm not entirely opposed. And, as @Sperm Edwards said in this thread, by taking Sewell you're only really upgrading the RT spot. Not the best use of a #2 overall pick. However, if you drafted an elite Edge or WR there, you'd be doing that in hopes of extending that player and Becton four or five years from now. 

We all, me included, wanted offense across the board last year, but JD went Safety and Edge, instead. I trust him (today) to put a premium on premium position, and build a balanced team. I expect him to either fall for a QB or trade out of that #2. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Douglas is putting his job on the line with this Darnold decision. If we pass on Wilson and Darnold flops again we will be looking for a new GM within a few years ( I would say after next season but no way is ownership going to pay him 3 years salary to go away). Bottom line is the QB is going to either save or cost this GM his job.

Which begs the question, how many people are going to lose their job because of Sam Darnold?  Is Douglas willing to be the next?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Exactly what I’ve been saying, gms are graded largely on finding and developing qbs.  If the jets stick with darnold and trade back from 2, don’t take a qb and fields/Wilson look good while darnold still sucks, that could be the beginning of the end for douglas.  When mccagnan passed on Watson and mahomes he was so desperate to save his job he dealt a lot for the 3rd pick which was nearly josh Rosen who can barely crack a roster.   If douglas whiffs on qbs this next offseason he will also become desperate and we may then reach for a qb.   Obviously the evaluation processs will be critical in deciding which of these qbs are worthy of early first round picks, but the path to respectability begins by putting at least a decent qb on the field who is not the butt of ghost jokes.

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

1.  If we somehow get 1OA back, Lawrence would be the pick.  Unless his background check makes him seem like a closet serial killer of course, lmao.

2.  I’d say with 99.999999% certainty, yes LOL.  Unless CJ comes out, fires JD, and makes Gase owner, he is gone.

Based on this, It doesnt sound like they love Darnold so much, but arent impressed with the QB choices after Lawrence and would rather use draft assets to keep building the team.   If thats the case and one of these Qbs tear up the league, it wont reflect well on Douglas.

The problem with too many draft picks is that you will end up with too many players to keep and not enough time in camp to decide which are the best players.  Then in 4 years all these first round picks will be wanting second contracts at the same time and they wont be able to pay them all.  They need to defer some of the draft capital to future years, if they are going to keep accruing it.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Most TEs probably wish they had the physical ability to be Edge Rushers or, even better, Power Forwards. That's where the elite athletes that size are making the money. I love a great TE, I also love finding them in the fourth round or later. While I agree that offense is where you need to invest, I would hate a TE or RB in their top three picks while not minding an Edge or CB at all. While you're putting together that offense that can score points, you need a defense that can get the football back into the offense's hands. Three & outs, turnovers, that's what an elite edge player brings the team. 

If they draft Sewell, they would need to move a potentially elite LT in Becton to RT, and it would be the plan from that moment on not to resign both of them four years from now. Becton would immediately start planning his escape to get back in the premium LT position. It would be a good four year run, though, so I'm not entirely opposed. And, as @Sperm Edwards said in this thread, by taking Sewell you're only really upgrading the RT spot. Not the best use of a #2 overall pick. However, if you drafted an elite Edge or WR there, you'd be doing that in hopes of extending that player and Becton four or five years from now. 

We all, me included, wanted offense across the board last year, but JD went Safety and Edge, instead. I trust him (today) to put a premium on premium position, and build a balanced team. I expect him to either fall for a QB or trade out of that #2. 

Drafting Sewell with bechton on the team is a poor use of resources.  The quickest way to become competitive is to draft a qb who gets the ball out quickly, and put him in a system where it’s not too complicated right away.  Invest in wrs and rbs who can catch.  I agree with warfish’s take on defense, competent but not overinvested in any one player.  The jets could completely revamp the offense if they took someone like Wilson, then used day 2 picks for wrs/rbs and signed 1 good wr and 1 good OL in FA.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Which begs the question, how many people are going to lose their job because of Sam Darnold?  Is Douglas willing to be the next?

To be fair both Bowles and Gase should never have been hired to begin with and both were terrible choices to develop a young QB. Douglas who didn't pick Darnold has to decide whether to risk his career on Sam or pick Wilson at 2. Either way he has to hire a great offensive mind like Joe Brady to get the best out of our young QB.

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Exactly what I’ve been saying, gms are graded largely on finding and developing qbs.  If the jets stick with darnold and trade back from 2, don’t take a qb and fields/Wilson look good while darnold still sucks, that could be the beginning of the end for douglas.  When mccagnan passed on Watson and mahomes he was so desperate to save his job he dealt a lot for the 3rd pick which was nearly josh Rosen who can barely crack a roster.   If douglas whiffs on qbs this next offseason he will also become desperate and we may then reach for a qb.   Obviously the evaluation processs will be critical in deciding which of these qbs are worthy of early first round picks, but the path to respectability begins by putting at least a decent qb on the field who is not the butt of ghost jokes.

Wilson is the guy but if Douglas wants to bet his job on Darnold that is his choice. 

11 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don’t think douglas is going to bet his job on darnold.  He took a hedged bet this year that darnold would take enough of a step forward to justify keeping him.  This year, douglas had no choice.  Douglas accomplished a lot this year by showing he could draft good offensive players, and by dealing adams for a boatload of picks.  I just don’t see douglas building a team around darnold, i think he pumps up his trade value and gets what he can for him.  Douglas clearly believes in his drafting ability and he’s going to amass as many picks as he can and build it his way.  Also i can’t see good coaching candidates wanting to spend half their time fixing all of darnold’s problems while dealing with the challenges of taking over the worst team in the nfl.

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

A #4 FAVRE jersey is ok he's one of the greatest QB's to play for the NY Jets him and #12 NAMATH

Donated mine to the Salvation Army. Sheet you not, one fine day driving in East New York saw a homeless squeegie guy wearing that exact #4 Favre jersey. Wonder if it was mine. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I think the answer is people take these Jets jobs know there’s an expiration date, but if the Johnsons are willing to pay you HC/GM bucks, you take it. I really unfortunately don’t see the overall goal to win, but it’s to get paid.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I think the answer is people take these Jets jobs know there’s an expiration date, but if the Johnsons are willing to pay you HC/GM bucks, you take it. I really unfortunately don’t see the overall goal to win, but it’s to get paid.

I buy that for a Gase, who was coming out of Miami and this may have been his only option.

I buy it less for Douglas who could do this for decades, still, if he succeeds.

26 minutes ago, slats said:

From what Mogglez said, I get the impression he's trading down.  It sounds like he wants OL and defense with those picks.

• Upvote 1

Big Picture Wide Angle Lens View: 

Don't think selling the new shiny coordinator by itself works here; it hasn't going on forever. 

Problem will always be the owners are meddling knuckleheads who flit from one bad plan of the day to the next. The chain of command is a mess. The most obvious solution is 2 choices; pay the Big Swinging Dick head coach a kings' ransom, be it Harbaugh with a big contract and a buyout, or Cowher.

Or should a guy like Cowher not want to get his hands that dirty, make him club president (not cheap) and have the Johnsons take some long term giant steps back. This could also work with Tony Dungy or someone like that. If you think that highly of Douglas, no reason not to retain him. This works in lots of places, like the NY Rangers, to cite one very successful example.Mets are trying it with Sandy Alderson right now.  Because the only way you can sell The Next Coordinator is if there is some sense he isn't being set up to fail all over again as has been going on for 2+ decades. This franchise needs structure, a safety net, somebody to bounce ideas off of, someone who, when he sees the groupthink of an Adams draft day decision forming, goes in there and breaks things. And you could also then more readily sell a you brilliant college guy. Dabol or Bienemy might very well be great head coaches somewhere, even here. But not if the Jets keep doing things the way they have been doing them, it will fail. 

• Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Big Picture Wide Angle Lens View: 

Don't think selling the new shiny coordinator by itself works here; it hasn't going on forever. 

Problem will always be the owners are meddling knuckleheads who flit from one bad plan of the day to the next. The chain of command is a mess. The most obvious solution is 2 choices; pay the Big Swinging Dick head coach a kings' ransom, be it Harbaugh with a big contract and a buyout, or Cowher.

Or should a guy like Cowher not want to get his hands that dirty, make him club president (not cheap) and have the Johnsons take some long term giant steps back. This could also work with Tony Dungy or someone like that. If you think that highly of Douglas, no reason not to retain him. This works in lots of places, like the NY Rangers, to cite one very successful example.Mets are trying it with Sandy Alderson right now.  Because the only way you can sell The Next Coordinator is if there is some sense he isn't being set up to fail all over again as has been going on for 2+ decades. This franchise needs structure, a safety net, somebody to bounce ideas off of, someone who, when he sees the groupthink of an Adams draft day decision forming, goes in there and breaks things. And you could also then more readily sell a you brilliant college guy. Dabol or Bienemy might very well be great head coaches somewhere, even here. But not if the Jets keep doing things the way they have been doing them, it will fail. 

Ozzie Newsome is only 64 years old and has a history with Douglas. I’d throw a blank check at him to be the face of the franchise

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ozzie Newsome is only 64 years old and has a history with Douglas. I’d throw a blank check at him to be the face of the franchise

Agree.  Don't see it happening, but it worth a try. 

Besides, even at 64, he would still be the best TE we have on the roster.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, slats said:

I respect your opinion, but I disagree almost wholesale.  You make a number of presumptions that are clearly opinion, not fact (like it being impossible to have both Becton and Sewell, as an easy example).  Like most things, it's a choice, not an impossibility.  Both could be paid, and I'd argue both should be paid.  I'd rather pay two elite O-lineman than pay an Edge, DT, LB or Safety, but again, personal choices and preferences in team building theory.

To be clear, I'm not arguing that JD WILL do what I'd like to see.  I don't think he will.  I'm just saying what I'd do, what I'd like to see, and no, it's not impossible at all.  It's all about choice and priority.

I have no doubt I will come away from the 2021 draft in some form disappointed, likely because we continue to not prioritize the Offense in a way I believe we should, or we make a desperate reach on a 2B QB.  It seems drafting bad QB's and putting them behind paper thin O-line with little to no legit talent at the skill positions is just what the Jets do.  We've done it so long, and so consistently, it's almost our defining characteristic.

But hope springs eternal, especially on days like today.  Merry Christmas to you old friend. Hope you and yours have a great day, and hopefully Santa will one day bring us a competitive team. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2020 at 8:24 AM, Sammybighead said:

Everything you guys said makes 100% sense. I could not, for the life of me, see JD risking his career on anyone not named Lawrence in this draft. The safer play is Sewell and the long game. In fact, if JD resurrects Sam with talent around him, he’s GM of the year.

One option I’d love to hopefully hear about is if we can trade down a couple spots, and somehow land Ja’Marr chase. Beyond that, I’ll all in on build monster oline: draft Sewell, give thuney a blank check, draft a center (hopefully) with the second 1st, move McGovern to right guard and let everyone else (including cam Clarke) fight it out over the last guard spot. And for god sakes, implement a system these guys can actually execute.

One more thing, we bitched that Macc went the safe route with Leo and Q now we want JD to go the safe route with Sewell?  To not take a chance that some are right and Fields may actually be as good a NFL QB as Lawrence, pass on him because Sewell, the safest pick is sitting there for us?

On 12/24/2020 at 9:59 AM, Augustiniak said:

Here’s the problem with this thinking:

1) if douglas knows that gase is so terrible for darnold’s development, then he should fire him.  He should have fired gase a while ago so he couldn’t do any more harm to darnold.  And if he’s not allowed to fire him, well, then gase may have ruined the qb that douglas intends to stick with instead of drafting someone else.

2) regardless of how much douglas loves darnold, i doubt the good head coaching candidates want to hitch their wagon to the lowest rated nfl qb on the joke team of the nfl.  New coaches don’t want to spend half their time fixing a young qb’s mental game.  They want a new qb to groom or a veteran like bridgewater who can run an offense and make their job easier.  

3) after watching burrow and Herbert this year, it’s very concerning to me that douglas thinks that trying to salvage darnold is a better idea than taking someone else who can potentially start hot from day 1 like these guys.  Douglas needs to realize that his scout evaluation of darnold was only a prediction, and that sometimes it’s wrong.  If douglas passes up on these qbs and they come in and play like kyler and Herbert and darnold continues to suck, douglas’ rep will take more of a hit than if he drafted one and failed.  

Didnt Belichick & the Pats beat the Chargers 45-0? Sounds like Belichick took Herbert to the woodshed, just like he's done to Darnold. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One more thing, we bitched that Macc went the safe route with Leo and Q now we want JD to go the safe route with Sewell?  To not take a chance that some are right and Fields may actually be as good a NFL QB as Lawrence, pass on him because Sewell, the safest pick is sitting there for us?

Look at the other side of the coin too though.  If Fields busts, then we blew the #2 overall pick.  Plus what if Sam was about to turn things around?  Keep in mind he still has never been given anything close to a decent situation here and he's still very young.