Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Thanks for sharing Mogglez, it’s Dec so i think a lot can change between now but the idea of passing on aQB gives me nightmares about passing on Watson/Mahomes because Hackenberg. As far as Marvin Lewis is concerned, I floated him or a Jim Caldwell type because we need someone who can overcome historic organizational ineptitude.  Lewis proved that in Cinci and had Andy Dalton playing like a probowler.  I don’t hate it one bit.

Of course homie.  Absolutely man.  I made sure to emphasize that in the OP.  I want to make it very clear to everyone that nothing is set stone right now as far as the draft goes.  Fields could light up the playoff and win the Natty for all we know.  I’d be lying if I said that wouldn’t have an impact. 

The more I think about Lewis, the less I hate it...as long as that toxic cesspool known as Hue Jackson doesn’t step a foot in the building.  I’d still prefer Matt Campbell or someone of that ilk.

3 hours ago, slats said:

It's really early. The Jets are gonna have a new head coach, and that head coach is going to have significant input into who the Jets starting QB is going to be next year. Having the first pick might be better, but having the second is a lot more interesting. At the end of the day, if they do end up at #2, I suspect they'll either fall in love with a QB and just take him, or trade out of the spot for a major haul. I'm sure Cincy is almost counting on Sewell, and any other team looking for a franchise LT will know it has to get ahead of them. JD will be fielding calls. 

The team could, conceivably, keep Sam for another year, bring in a vet and draft a QB in the first round - just sometime later than #2 overall. 

110%.  As I said to JiF right above this and earlier on in this thread, nothing is concrete.  The Head Coach search is the first process. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Xtina said:

The part of this that is mind boggling to me is that the info about Gase’s awfulness In scheming and being not QB friendly- is coming from inside the house. Is anyone listening? 

If your question is why wasn’t he fired, I went into more detail about that a few posts back.  

Here ya go:

CE1203C1-67AF-4A79-87B7-28BBADCA189C.thumb.jpeg.7d930cc9d502a3e014d9cb3d4b5ce960.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I think there will be major interest in the jets pick because cincy at 3 will want Sewell, while Carolina and atlanta at 4-5 could want him or a qb.  I could easily see one of those teams trading up to 2 to get a qb, then cincy gets Sewell and the jets could be sitting at 4 or 5.  Even if the jets don’t love one of those qbs they could take chase and deal darnold, and even trade for a qb veteran while the restock the roster and draft one in 2021.  Not my favorite scenario but darnold hasn’t shown anything to make you think he’ll make even a modest improvement in 2021.  

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The more I think about Lewis, the less I hate it...as long as that toxic cesspool known as Hue Jackson doesn’t step a foot in the building. 

im-afraid-ive-got-some-bad-news.jpg

Hue is basically Marv's right hand man. If you hire Marv, you have to do it with the assumption that Hue is coming with him.

Hue is a terrible coach, but as an OC meh I can tolerate him

1 minute ago, King P said:

Hue is basically Marv's right hand man. If you hire Marv, you have to do it with the assumption that Hue is coming with him.

I think Marvin Lewis is a good coach, but Hue Jackson would be a very tough sell as the OC.

I get that Lewis has a history with him and values him, but Jackson came across as a complete push-over with the Browns in Hard Knocks. His players seemed very willing to tune him out. I'd need some convincing that he's the guy to develop our QB and reinvigorate our O.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, King P said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but he was also QB coach coach w/Ravens 

Baltimore Ravens (2008–2009)
Quarterbacks coach

Jim Caldwell has ties to Baltimore too

Baltimore Ravens (2012)
Quarterbacks coach

Baltimore Ravens (2012)
Interim offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach

Baltimore Ravens (2013)
Offensive coordinator

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I think Marvin Lewis is a good coach, but Hue Jackson would be a very tough sell as the OC.

I get that Lewis has a history with him and values him, but Jackson came across as a complete push-over with the Browns in Hard Knocks. His players seemed very willing to tune him out. I'd need some convincing that he's the guy to develop our QB and reinvigorate our O.

Hue seems like a bit of a fake nice guy, and definitely not a leader of men. Which is why he failed as a HC.

But as an OC I don't think he's that bad. I could tolerate him if he's here

37 minutes ago, King P said:

I know man, and that’s where I struggle with it.  My problem isn’t with Hue the QB developer or OC.  He’s actually pretty good at those roles.  My problem is with Hue the snake, who creates a toxic work environment.  The dude is, essentially, the offensive minded version of Gregg Williams.  I don’t want that in the building.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think there will be major interest in the jets pick because cincy at 3 will want Sewell, while Carolina and atlanta at 4-5 could want him or a qb.  I could easily see one of those teams trading up to 2 to get a qb, then cincy gets Sewell and the jets could be sitting at 4 or 5.  Even if the jets don’t love one of those qbs they could take chase and deal darnold, and even trade for a qb veteran while the restock the roster and draft one in 2021.  Not my favorite scenario but darnold hasn’t shown anything to make you think he’ll make even a modest improvement in 2021.  

I think there's a good chance Sewell is the reason we're able to trade down.  A franchise LT has be a highly valued commodity to protect a team's most valuable investment (their QB).

Ideally Cincy finishes with #3 overall because if they trade up for him, any team that wants Fields will also have to trade up with us again.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Green DNA said:

Regular season coaching record: 131 - 122.  Thats a .518 winning pct, barely above .500.

Playoff record 0-7.  That's a .000 winning pct.

If they hire him, my 36 year run as a season ticket holder will come to an abrupt end.

Which unless I took different math courses from others says he has a wining percentage, not a losing record

But hey, two agreed with you that 131-122 is a losing record.  LOL

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Of course homie.  Absolutely man.  I made sure to emphasize that in the OP.  I want to make it very clear to everyone that nothing is set stone right now as far as the draft goes.  Fields could light up the playoff and win the Natty for all we know.  I’d be lying if I said that wouldn’t have an impact. 

The more I think about Lewis, the less I hate it...as long as that toxic cesspool known as Hue Jackson doesn’t step a foot in the building.  I’d still prefer Matt Campbell or someone of that ilk.

110%.  As I said to JiF right above this and earlier on in this thread, nothing is concrete.  The Head Coach search is the first process. 

Hue Jackson is incompetence personified, and possibly the dumbest person involved with the league in 25 years, in an NFL that includes such luminaries as Rob Gronkowski and OchoCinco among many others....

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Hue Jackson is incompetence personified, and possibly the dumbest person involved with the league in 25 years, in an NFL that includes such luminaries as Rob Gronkowski and OchoCinco among many others....

I thought that was Gase, Kotite, Bowles...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I thought that was Gase, Kotite, Bowles...

Bowles is a decent man, a respected guy, and a good Defensive Coordinator. 

Rich Kotite once went 11-5 as a head coach. 

Gase once worked with Peyton Manning and brought tye Dolphins to the playoffs.

Hue Jackson is an abject failure in all aspects, and revealed himself to he a total buffoon on a level that made Rex Ryan look as classy and erudite as Sir Alec Guinness. 

Hes Marvin's caddy and boy, and has no business getting another NFL job.

If Douglas is in charge now, and his opinion was "Lawrence or bust", why in the hell didn't he do everything in his power to ensure the Jets would lose to the Rams last week?  That makes no sense to me.

I'm glad Douglas will be given the keys going forward, but I don't like anything else about what was presented here, other than perhaps the serious interest in the college coaching candidates.  A Right f**king Tackle being the top choice at # 2?  Rolling with Darnold another year rather than moving him for 2021 draft capital?  Come the f**k on, Joe.  

• Upvote 2

On 12/24/2020 at 9:43 AM, TeddEY said:

I'm still pretty sure we can salvage Hackenberg.  It would be a waste to draft Mahommes or Watson.  Lets go with the strong safety.

Yes, this is the vibe I got too.  Along with the "don't worry, we have a plan" deal.  Thinking its a good idea to keep Darnold around another season doesn't give me a ton of faith in an org's plans.  A lot can change between now and April, however.  Certainly Douglas could easily fall in love with Fields.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KRL said:

So true.  And after what Becton has proven this year should fans really be bad mouthing him?

The deal is that we have a few on this site that are all butt hurt that Becton said anyone cheering for a loss isn’t a real fan so he is now public enemy #1.

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2020 at 4:48 PM, Mogglez said:

I hate that this is the case, but the old addage of “only fans believe in tanking” is 110% true.

Yet it 110 % exists in the NBA, and the GM's themselves have admitted as much.  A supposedly professional organization where teams openly tank to benefit their program for the future. 

If the system is set up to where tanking actually works, then perhaps NFL teams need to get with the program and do it too.  Our own GM himself seems to acknowledge this might be a 1-QB draft, but doesn't take the steps necessary to get him with just 3 weeks left in the season?  Makes absolutely no sense.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Thanks for sharing Mogglez, it’s Dec so i think a lot can change between now but the idea of passing on aQB gives me nightmares about passing on Watson/Mahomes because Hackenberg. As far as Marvin Lewis is concerned, I floated him or a Jim Caldwell type because we need someone who can overcome historic organizational ineptitude.  Lewis proved that in Cinci and had Andy Dalton playing like a probowler.  I don’t hate it one bit.

Did you miss the part where Douglas has Fields over Wilson on his board at the moment?  I thought that would be your first takeaway!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why not?  Scouts and GM's are constantly evaluating prospects.  The board may be in flux, but there's a board nonetheless.  And currently, per Mogglez, Fields is ahead of Wilson.  

According to other ex-GMs like Polian boards aren’t put together until a few weeks before the draft. You don’t even know right now the final players eligible / declared for the draft. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

According to other ex-GMs like Polian boards aren’t put together until a few weeks before the draft. You don’t even know right now the final players eligible / declared for the draft. 

OK.  But you were responding specifically to a point about Fields being ahead of Wilson at the moment.  Not having an official board does not mean a GM doesn't currently have a feel for which prospects he likes vs others.  If there was a back-of-the-napkin board in Douglas' mind right now, Fields would be ahead of Wilson based on what Mogglez was saying.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK.  But you were responding specifically to a point about Fields being ahead of Wilson at the moment.  Not having an official board does not mean a GM doesn't currently have a feel for which prospects he likes vs others.  If there was a back-of-the-napkin board in Douglas' mind right now, Fields would be ahead of Wilson based on what Mogglez was saying.

There may not be an official draft board but all season you have scouts ratting players and prioritizing those players. Potential 1st, 2nd 3rd guys are having background checks started at this point. All this does not begin 2 or even 3 weeks before the draft. Why have a full time scouting staff if no real evaluations and rankings going on. Just my opinion from a business standpoint.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

There may not be an official draft board but all season you have scouts ratting players and prioritizing those players. Potential 1st, 2nd 3rd guys are having background checks started at this point. All this does not begin 2 or even 3 weeks before the draft. Why have a full time scouting staff if no real evaluations and rankings going on. Just my opinion from a business standpoint.

Of course that’s being done. I said the board isn’t put together until a few weeks before the draft.

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Of course that’s being done. I said the board isn’t put together until a few weeks before the draft.

It is my hope that JD is pouring over film of ALL the Qb’s and making his own rankings. Then look at Sewell tape and Parsons and Chase and Devonta Smith. 

At the end of January hire your new coaching staff, bring the scouts and coaches together and get a consensus decision on QB rankings and how Darnold and Morgan compare to those in the draft. After the Combine and individual workouts meet again and pour over the tape again. Does the combine and workouts align with the film. Then go through the ranking process again and determine which QB you want and if you can move down and still get your player. And above all PRAY

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

It is my hope that JD is pouring over film of ALL the Qb’s and making his own rankings. Then look at Sewell tape and Parsons and Chase and Devonta Smith. 

At the end of January hire your new coaching staff, bring the scouts and coaches together and get a consensus decision on QB rankings and how Darnold and Morgan compare to those in the draft. After the Combine and individual workouts meet again and pour over the tape again. Does the combine and workouts align with the film. Then go through the ranking process again and determine which QB you want and if you can move down and still get your player. And above all PRAY

Yes Pray, a pox on their house, Vodoo dolls, Evil Eye what ever it takes too get Your Guy!!!

Sewell opted out. Until he works out for the team and shows he has been developing his skills vs eating pizza this past year, he’s just one of many ideas.

Marvin Powell and Chris Ward were an excellent set of bookends back in the day. I like the sound of that.

Trading back and picking up Patrick Surtain Jr is an interesting ideas as well. We need corners desperately. Nobody who is remotely a CB 1 is on our roster.

Sewell opted out. Until he works out for the team and shows he has been developing his skills vs eating pizza this past year, he’s just one of many ideas.
Marvin Powell and Chris Ward were an excellent set of bookends back in the day. I like the sound of that.
Trading back and picking up Patrick Surtain Jr is an interesting ideas as well. We need corners desperately. Nobody who is remotely a CB 1 is on our roster.
We need QBs, RBs, RTs, LBs, OLBs and TEs too.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

On 12/25/2020 at 8:57 AM, TeddEY said:

Take as few risks as possible, so you never actually get any better but can extend your career.

This is the m.o. for everyone the Hets have hired since Parcells quit.

The Jets over-promote clowns and manipulators, then they milk for as long as possible.